Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XIII: Unlucky Deaths & Silly Mistakes Edition  (Read 198834 times)

Random

• Rice cakes, sea anemones
  • Benzene, benzene ♪
Re: Touhou Rage Thread XIII: Unlucky Deaths & Silly Mistakes Edition
« Reply #90 on: May 09, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »
satori
satori
satori
SATORI
STOP FUCKING MOVING AWAY FROM ME SO I CAN GET A SHOT OF YOU

« Reply #91 on: May 10, 2012, 12:04:46 AM »
Oh, "capturing". I forgot that existed for Kanpukugu's stuff.  :3

Well, if it helps any, I just put up a video demonstrating how to cap Kanpukugu's last card. I tried to cap the Future card but barely missed; "keep to the left" is all I can really say here. As for White, I noticed it helps a little bit to have your head low and looking up at the screen. Seems to make it a little easier to see.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #92 on: May 10, 2012, 01:12:09 AM »
oh, Ten Desires, we have an understanding now.
I hate you, and you ruin my runs in every which way imaginable even after I get consistent at reaching Kyouko as a midboss.
I hate the random walls that sometimes fire in Stage 1.
I hate Yuyuko's spells, they're either random and easy or just easy and take forever.
I hate Stage 2 as it's all memorization.
I hate Kyouko's nonspells because they're too **** fast.
I hate Stage 3 because it's more memorization.
I hate Kogasa because the best way to do heris to spend 2 bombs here-too bad I never have any unless I died.
I hate Yoshika's nonspells for random spawning BS.
I hate her spells for healing and/or clipdeaths.
I hate Stage 4 because, guess what, IT'S MORE MEMORIZATION.
I hate the part right before Seiga because if you trance you lose resources, if you bomb you lose resources and if you die you lose resources.
I hate Seiga because she cheats on her nonspells.
I hate her spells because curvy lasers are stupid.
I hate Stage 5 because, do I even need to say it?
I hate Tojiko because, even though I can consistently capture both her patterns, to get more lives/bombs I need to bomb her to death.
I hate the last part of Stage 5 because if you don't have trance you're screwed.
I hate Futo because her spells are too easy or too random.  her nonspells are fine though.
I hate Stage 6 because...actually, I really don't hate Stage 6.
I hate Miko because her nonspells are micrododgy and clippy.
I hate her spells because they're either random, boring or double auto-bomb.
The extra stage is fine, lunatic is not.  I think I covered everything.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #93 on: May 10, 2012, 01:15:34 AM »
Oh, "capturing". I forgot that existed for Kanpukugu's stuff.  :3

Well, if it helps any, I just put up a video demonstrating how to cap Kanpukugu's last card. I tried to cap the Future card but barely missed; "keep to the left" is all I can really say here. As for White, I noticed it helps a little bit to have your head low and looking up at the screen. Seems to make it a little easier to see.

That's what I did. I still died twice :qq:

oh, Ten Desires, we have an understanding now.
I hate you, and you ruin my runs in every which way imaginable even after I get consistent at reaching Kyouko as a midboss.
I hate Yuyuko's spells, they're either random and easy or just easy and take forever.
I hate Kogasa because the best way to do heris to spend 2 bombs here-too bad I never have any unless I died.
I hate her spells for healing and/or clipdeaths.
I hate the part right before Seiga because if you trance you lose resources, if you bomb you lose resources and if you die you lose resources.
I hate Stage 5 because, do I even need to say it?
I hate Tojiko because, even though I can consistently capture both her patterns, to get more lives/bombs I need to bomb her to death.
I hate the last part of Stage 5 because if you don't have trance you're screwed.
I hate Futo because her spells are too easy or too random.  her nonspells are fine though.
I hate Stage 6 because...actually, I really don't hate Stage 6.
I hate Miko because her nonspells are micrododgy and clippy.
The extra stage is fine, lunatic is not.  I think I covered everything.

YES.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

« Reply #94 on: May 10, 2012, 07:11:57 AM »

Oh dear, no. Not that. Seriously, to say that these stages contain any considerable memorization has got to be a joke. Obviously knowing your way through them makes them easier but there's nothing that strictly requires that you memorize things except for that part at the end of Stage 5 where you'd probably need to know to shoot the middle guy and then the three to the side. Said end of the stage is in no way screwing you over btw. No more than UFO or SA Stage 5.

Kyouko's non-spells are difficult and that's apparently a problem for you. Apparently the same thing applies for Yoshika. What do you mean by saying that you'll lose resources no matter what you do right before Seiga? Obviously you'll be exchanging your trance for more spirits and if that's what you mean then what is the problem again? You hate Seiga because she cheats? Uhh, no she doesn't. In what way does she cheat? Apparently curvy lasers are stupid too which i guess just translates to 'they are hard to dodge and they emasculate you'. Futo again has random cards. What a catastrophe. I will agree on some of her cards being much too easy though. And Miko you hate because her cards are random or boring and apparently auto-bombs.

Am I reading your post wrong or are you really just telling us that you hate the game because it's too hard? Or is there some other reason that I'm not comprehending? This post is talking to you too Esupanitix.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #95 on: May 10, 2012, 07:29:44 AM »
Every once in a while you just need to rant.
That was my rant on Ten Desires.

Now after a completely BS death to SA Stage 1 involving Kisume killing me after exploding by firing one last set of lasers, I'm done with trying to clear new lunatics for a while.

« Reply #96 on: May 10, 2012, 07:33:31 AM »
Every once in a while you just need to rant.
That was my rant on Ten Desires.

Okay. That was my rant on your rant then.  :V No hard feelings.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #97 on: May 10, 2012, 10:38:34 AM »
You never addressed the randomly shooting walls, Zengeku :V

Enjoy.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #98 on: May 10, 2012, 10:54:52 AM »
When do you get walled during Stage 1? My derp self went through the stage enough times, not killing enemies and getting flooded by bullets, never getting walled once.

« Reply #99 on: May 10, 2012, 10:59:36 AM »
I had nothing to say on the matter because Stage 1 simply doesn't fire random walls. It doesn't. I included though because it along with many other claims caught my attention because they could be summed up as 'I hate Ten Desires because there are difficult and random things in it'. (Which i suppose is not I have no name's viewpoint but that was how I read it.)

« Reply #100 on: May 10, 2012, 12:45:50 PM »
Haha, that is certainly true and insulting yourself is just one of many ways to go about it. Though you'll have to admit that it does not come across as particularly constructive to talk in such a fashion when all you need to do is to actually get used to the controls - criticism is always justified, bitching isn't, especially when you haven't really invested anything into the game.

I don't understand people making posts like this in THE RAGE THREAD

That's kind of the point of the thread
« Last Edit: May 10, 2012, 12:47:39 PM by Star King »

Zil

« Reply #101 on: May 10, 2012, 12:53:41 PM »
It's not that you shouldn't get angry, but it makes more sense that you'd get angry at yourself instead of the game since you're playing the game of your own volition. If you actually think the game is unfair and stupid then you have no reason to play it.

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #102 on: May 10, 2012, 01:11:42 PM »
Yes, precisely that, which is good because I just woke up from a nap, thanks!
It's also a matter of insulting the game/its creator/characters when there's not even a reason to do so; personally, I think that's disrespectful and inappropriate, rage or not. Rage with class, guys, with class!

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #103 on: May 10, 2012, 06:01:29 PM »
Oh dear, no. Not that. Seriously, to say that these stages contain any considerable memorization has got to be a joke. Obviously knowing your way through them makes them easier but there's nothing that strictly requires that you memorize things except for that part at the end of Stage 5 where you'd probably need to know to shoot the middle guy and then the three to the side. Said end of the stage is in no way screwing you over btw. No more than UFO or SA Stage 5.
If you want lives and bombs you need trance.  If you want trance you need to both not die and take very risky paths through stages.  In order to get the spirits you need to know when they're safe to grab, and kill things as they spawn.  If you want to do that you need to memorize the stage.
Don't bring SA or UFO stage 5 into this, I haven't even faced them on lunatic.

Kyouko's non-spells are difficult and that's apparently a problem for you. Apparently the same thing applies for Yoshika.
Kyouko's nonspells are impossible for me, except the midboss one if I get lucky.  Yoshika's are difficult but doable, but I wouldn't try if I have bombs/trance.
What do you mean by saying that you'll lose resources no matter what you do right before Seiga? Obviously you'll be exchanging your trance for more spirits and if that's what you mean then what is the problem again? You hate Seiga because she cheats? Uhh, no she doesn't. In what way does she cheat? Apparently curvy lasers are stupid too which i guess just translates to 'they are hard to dodge and they emasculate you'.
From best case to worst case in the spam before the fairies:
I dodge it perfectly, and can trance the fairies.
I bomb them, and can trance the fairies down a bomb.
I trance them, avoid dying but in order to get the resources I have to bomb and they're worth half as much.
I die to them, and in order to get the resources I have to bomb and they're worth half as much.
You hate Seiga because she cheats? Uhh, no she doesn't. In what way does she cheat? Apparently curvy lasers are stupid too which i guess just translates to 'they are hard to dodge and they emasculate you'.
So 2 on 1 isn't cheating  :V
I can't read curvy lasers, so I have to guess where they're going and pray they don't hit me.  They just aren't fun, it's why I don't practice Shou, her nonspells aren't fun.
Futo again has random cards. What a catastrophe. I will agree on some of her cards being much too easy though. And Miko you hate because her cards are random or boring and apparently auto-bombs.
Now I can tell you just got annoyed with my post.  This part oozes sarcasm.  But yeah, Miko's 1st, random, 2nd, boring, 3rd, autobomb, 4th, boring, 5th, the exception that proves the rule, 6th, double autobomb, final, boring.  The only stupid thing about Futo is that 2 of her spells give twice the reward in spirits for bombing them, making trying to capture them less effective.
Am I reading your post wrong or are you really just telling us that you hate the game because it's too hard? Or is there some other reason that I'm not comprehending?
As I mentioned in an earlier response, it was an overblown reaction to my frustrations with Ten Desires, nitpicking every little thing I could find remotely wrong in it.

As a whole my frustrations with the game stem from the trance system.  It feels like it forces risky stage strategies (like UFO, but I'll get to that in a moment) to get any resources, but there're so few to get, any derpy mistake is instantly fatal to the state of the run.  Bombing spells for survival is nothing new, but needing to bomb through midbosses to get more resources overall is a stupid tradeoff.  I like getting my 1ccs by actually DODGING things, but Ten Desires doesn't work that way.  and though UFO also requires risky stage paths, the overall abundance of resources means you can make up any mistakes.

I didn't mean to write a wall, I was just responding.  (on the stage 1 walls, the wisps that shoot 15 blue bullets in a line cutting off my path werew what I was referring too, sometimes they shoot sometimes they don't)

Lepetit89

• Deranged Collector
« Reply #104 on: May 10, 2012, 06:22:00 PM »
Kyouko's NS-Patterns are actually easy if you tackle them the right way (first one in her boss fight depends on where she moves, though), but that's all I read and it doesn't even matter!

If Seiga's cheating, then what are the Prismriver Sisters doing? Living the life of street thugs, ganging up on poor individuals? That sounds kind of cool actually. You'd think they'd go into rap or something.

As for the spam before Seiga, I'd really just dodge as long as you can during the third wave and trance when you know you'll get hit. More often that not, you'll be able to take down the first two big fairies while still in Trance, dodging one wave of those is definitely easier than surviving the third wave of the spam-fairies.

« Reply #105 on: May 10, 2012, 06:54:40 PM »
If you want lives and bombs you need trance.  If you want trance you need to both not die and take very risky paths through stages.  In order to get the spirits you need to know when they're safe to grab, and kill things as they spawn.  If you want to do that you need to memorize the stage.
Don't bring SA or UFO stage 5 into this, I haven't even faced them on lunatic.

Fair enough. My approach to something like this would be to make not dying priority and then only get the spirits that I need. You don't need to pull so much effort into raising your trance. You'll probably fail more then. If I should give you some advice then you should accept that you don't have trance for all those situations where fairies drops lots of resource spirits. I had planned to use trance once in Stage 2, 3, 4, 5 and 6 and that got me 6 lives.

Kyouko's nonspells are impossible for me, except the midboss one if I get lucky.  Yoshika's are difficult but doable, but I wouldn't try if I have bombs/trance.
And that is totally fine. You are playing Lunatic and things should hopefully be difficult right? It's okay if you haven't got what it takes to capture them now but as you get better you'll learn to dodge them properly and probably end up finding them fun. I really advice against that attitude of disliking things you can't do. Instead try to appreciate the shear insanity of the patterns that break you and view them as an obstacle that you can overcome one day.

I can't read curvy lasers, so I have to guess where they're going and pray they don't hit me.  They just aren't fun, it's why I don't practice Shou, her nonspells aren't fun.

I can't blame you. I had a really hard time getting over my own grudges against the curvy lasers. Dodging them is a skill that you can learn. With enough experiences and reflexes you can predict where they are going and dodge them. They aren't fun now I understand that. I was the same way back when but now that I've learned how to dodge them, I can actually have good fun with lasers.

I didn't mean to write a wall, I was just responding.  (on the stage 1 walls, the wisps that shoot 15 blue bullets in a line cutting off my path werew what I was referring too, sometimes they shoot sometimes they don't)

The straight lines of blue bullets? They are aimed I'm pretty sure. Just be more careful and they will not wall you off.

Makai Butterfly

• Superhuman
  • A world of dharma filled with light
« Reply #106 on: May 10, 2012, 07:47:43 PM »
Ugh!  Using one bomb and THEN losing two lives (without thinking to just spam bombs) to Yoshika's final card on Hard ruined what was pretty much a perfect run until then.  Both deaths were caused by trying to slip up through the ring of lasers to collect the spirits.  I should just stop trying to capture and live with timing it out.  It's not really worth the capture points anyway.

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #107 on: May 10, 2012, 11:29:20 PM »
Just doubled my shot count on 12-6 from 765 to 1530 trying to do what I've already done. This game has been out for two years already, how come this hasn't been patched yet?
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #108 on: May 11, 2012, 02:02:50 AM »
Funny thing is, I'm used to Shou's nonspells somewhat well because Seiga was my favorite fight in Ten Desires. They're essentially the same thing but one's more revered for stupid hard difficulty.

Enjoy.

Zil

« Reply #109 on: May 11, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
It's not the same. The only curvy lasers in UFO are the ones in Byakuren's third spell. Shou's lasers just twist around (which is irrelevant) then move perfectly straight.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #110 on: May 11, 2012, 10:32:42 AM »
It's not the same. The only curvy lasers in UFO are the ones in Byakuren's third spell. Shou's lasers just twist around (which is irrelevant) then move perfectly straight.

Well at the least it means I'm used to dodging something that always curves :V

Enjoy.

Jx31

• Hot Garbage
« Reply #111 on: May 11, 2012, 03:52:41 PM »
I bomb at Honour the Avoidance of Defiance only to have the bomb effects making the lasers disappear so that I don't know where she aims next. Guess what happened.

I know that post was made days ago but I had to quote it since this just now happened to me.  Worst part is I read that post before I made my run so I KNEW that would happen YET I FORGOT WHEN THE TIME CAME ANYWAYS.  :colonveeplusalpha:

I hate Ten desires so much, I wish the game would just 1CC itself so I can work on Lunatics already.

SuccinctAndPunchy

• Fear The Melon!
  • I would murder all of you for a cup of tea.
« Reply #112 on: May 11, 2012, 03:55:07 PM »
I know that post was made days ago but I had to quote it since this just now happened to me.  Worst part is I read that post before I made my run so I KNEW that would happen YET I FORGOT WHEN THE TIME CAME ANYWAYS.  :colonveeplusalpha:

I hate Ten desires so much, I wish the game would just 1CC itself so I can work on Lunatics already.

Eh, if you wanna go work on Lunatics, just ignore Ten Desires and go work on Lunatics.

Play the games you enjoy, I got an IN Hard 1cc before I got my SA Normal 1cc just because I enjoy IN more and as such found it more fun to practice and get better at.

(Mind you, SA's also way harder but my point still stands.)

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #113 on: May 11, 2012, 04:14:20 PM »
but they curve before straightening which makes them hard to predict where they're going to go.
Not that I'd have much better luck if they moved straight all the time due to my inability to consistently read lasers, but the point stands.
Byakuren's spell it's obvious which way they'll curve, not that it helps because there's too many of them.
and what about Mysterious Snake Show?

Zil

« Reply #114 on: May 11, 2012, 05:07:21 PM »
I was just thinking of the kind that Seiga uses, which are kind of a specific thing. Having practiced them won't really prepare you for the other kinds of lasers since it's a constant curve, while Mysterious Snake Show for example is a back and forth thing. Shou's really are effectively straight though. You shouldn't be trying to predict them while they're still bending, so it's the same as if they just materialized from the point where they straightened out. It's pretty much just a fancy way of making normal lasers fire from other directions instead of directly from the boss.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #115 on: May 11, 2012, 05:53:01 PM »
I like how none of you mentioned how Shou's lasers are 3 times faster anyway.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #116 on: May 11, 2012, 07:58:14 PM »
SA Lunatic is probably one of the most fun Lunatic modes.
Because Stage 1 is completely frakkin' ridiculous :getdown:
(but stage two is rather meh)

A bunch of the other Lunatic modes, I feel, don't really pick up until Stage 3 to 5 :V

Piranha

• Hungry Ghost
« Reply #117 on: May 12, 2012, 11:53:24 AM »
I want to beat myself now.

2 lives, 3 bombs going into And Then There Were None. Then dying two times on ATTWN, one time on Ripples of 495 years, because I FUCKING FORGOT HOW TO BOMB. I have no words for my idiocy...

That aside, this was easily my best run of EoSD Extra until I fucked up.

See you guys in the accomplishment thread, I've got this one almost in the bag >:(
« Last Edit: May 12, 2012, 02:10:02 PM by Piranha »
Normal 1cc: EoSD (All), PCB (All), IN (All teams), PoFV (Reimu), MoF (All), SA (ReimuA/ReimuB)
Extra stages cleared: EoSD (ReimuB), PCB (ReimuB)
StB: Level 6-X left
My Replays

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Touhou Rage Thread XIII: Unlucky Deaths & Silly Mistakes Edition
« Reply #118 on: May 12, 2012, 01:40:18 PM »
I just wanted to address something that seems to come up regularly in Rage threads, i.e., users wondering why there are folks giving advice on how to reduce gamerage. Rage threads are not solely for catharsis, but for all things rage-related. This includes tips on how to reduce or avoid it. We have a very intersupportive gaming community here, with players of all level of ability and skillsets. Part of that enjoyment is, yeah, being able to reasonably vent to each other about parts of games, but also to be able to help each other improve and get more enjoyment out of them.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

MMX

• In Soviet Gensokyo...
  • ...bullets dodge you.
    • LiveJournal blog
« Reply #119 on: May 12, 2012, 02:05:19 PM »
Someone said "Ten Desires"? I clearly saw someone said "Ten Desires" :V Welp, you know my opinion about lunatic. It looks easy and it is easy. Just don't forget you have less lives than in any previous touhou, and use trance properly.

As for my "rage" (more like shame on myself). Another TD hard no bombs attempt with Sanae ended at Honour the Avoidance of Defiance. :fail: You know that feeling when you do silly mistakes at earlier stages but decide to go on and then when you fail so close to the end you say something like "if only i had one more life :qq: "
My danmakufu thread Most recent - "Kappa Mechanics" (Nitori fight)   My youtube channel Latest update - EoSD extra no bombs clear