Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XIII: Unlucky Deaths & Silly Mistakes Edition  (Read 199487 times)

Re: Touhou Rage Thread XIII: Unlucky Deaths & Silly Mistakes Edition
« Reply #150 on: May 16, 2012, 07:17:13 PM »
Dude. You seriously need to setup vpatch for Ten Desires or something. I see no difference between using it or not, though it  may depend on your setup, so give it a try.
Pretty much this. While it's not TD for me, I get terrible input delay in MoF without the vsync patch. While other games work flawlessly without it, MoF is the exception.

Give it a whirl!

« Reply #151 on: May 16, 2012, 11:05:07 PM »
I thought just clicking on vpatch.exe did it? I guess not. Obviously I'm missing something here.

Is it something in vpatch.ini that I need to set, or is it a separate program?

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #152 on: May 17, 2012, 03:24:51 AM »
Made a tricky dodge between two groups of amulets in VoWG, but kept moving to the left after that dodge and ran into the next group of amulets that hadn't quite left the screen. I had 3 power at the time.

You may want to take note of my life count after that death.

« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 03:36:04 AM by Karisa »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #153 on: May 17, 2012, 06:31:42 PM »
Hrrrrrr.

Lose three lives to Murasa's last healthbar.

Lose three lives to Stage 5.

Lose two lives to Shou.

Game over >_>

And I had bombs in stock this time too. On almost all of the deaths. :qq:

Replay.

SUBTERRANEAN ANIMISM IS SOMETHING THAT I ALSO FAIL AT

MORE PROOF THAT WHEN I START DYING THE REST ARE ALL SOON TO FOLLOW
« Last Edit: May 17, 2012, 06:53:51 PM by チソウ タイゼン »

« Reply #154 on: May 17, 2012, 08:03:35 PM »
Fucking hell.

That's the third time I one-missed Mountain of Faith -Easy-.

28 seconds left upon death this time.

IF I CAN LAST THAT LONG, WHY CAN'T I FUCKING FINISH THE JOB.

sigh.

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #155 on: May 17, 2012, 09:16:24 PM »
Fucking hell.

That's the third time I one-missed Mountain of Faith -Easy-.

28 seconds left upon death this time.

IF I CAN LAST THAT LONG, WHY CAN'T I FUCKING FINISH THE JOB.

sigh.

Now you know how I feel. :V That card likes to trip you up in ways you dont expect.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

xForeverFanaticx

• Bomb ALL the Spellcards!
« Reply #156 on: May 18, 2012, 01:18:51 AM »
; ~ ; Dammit... Shikieiki killed me after, like, 3 minutes of being an ass of a CPU on her last life... Yes, I survived for 3 whole minutes in a sudden death kind of condition.

*sob* if not for her, I would've had my first 1CC of that damn game.

btw, are any characters OP in PoFV? I'm using Youmu.

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #157 on: May 18, 2012, 01:21:09 AM »
Aya and Medicine are OP vs. computers, and an effective unbroken character is Marisa.  Reimu is also very effective to have a human use.

Youmu is sadly, incredibly low tier due to her horrible charge speed.

xForeverFanaticx

• Bomb ALL the Spellcards!
« Reply #158 on: May 18, 2012, 01:23:54 AM »

LOL~ And I did *that* much better on all the other stages (yes, Komachi included) with Youmu than with Reimu~

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #159 on: May 18, 2012, 01:26:08 AM »
Well, Youmu can destroy bullets so if you can see the wall coming and time the level 1 perfectly she's useful, but you can't level 2 spam like with Reimu or Marisa.

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #160 on: May 18, 2012, 02:41:28 AM »
But she's the only nonbroken character I've beaten Shiki with without dying. >_>
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Random

• Rice cakes, sea anemones
  • Benzene, benzene ♪
« Reply #161 on: May 18, 2012, 02:45:54 AM »
I believe Merlin or Sakuya should be considered as the worst character in PoFV. Sakuya is especially very awkward to use.

what

don't hate >:(

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #162 on: May 18, 2012, 03:07:27 AM »
what

don't hate >:(
Don't get me wrong, Youmu is my favorite Touhou character, which is why it's disappointing that she's (mostly) impractical* in PoFV.

*Very very effective in the extra stage

DX7.EP

• Red shroom
  • Smooth Charisma
    • Sanmaat (site of personal tat)
« Reply #163 on: May 18, 2012, 04:49:21 AM »
Finally played Touhou again after another odd hiatus, as part of a STG-playing spree that ended up miserably on all the games I played. :(

SoEW: tried a Normal blind run today, Reimu 1st type. Cancelled several runs amid derp deaths on S1's bridge. That aside, another almost-successful run came along, with continues on S2 boss (her name eludes me),  the Five Magic Stones, and Marisa, resulting in a game over against Mima. Half of those deaths had bombs in stock; I blame input lag for this. D:

UFO: Went to MarisaB Easy since on that difficulty I can usually get to S4 at least before continuing. Had a very good S1 and S2, then had several UFO-involved derp deaths on S3, so game over on boss Ichirin. 3 continues later I was still unable to get past and thus ragequit and moved to other STGs.

Definitely I'm out of shape here. :derp:
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 04:54:25 AM by 巫女パン Trade Shrine »
C:DOS> ayayaya.mid
Bad command or file name

C:>_

redlakitu

« Reply #164 on: May 18, 2012, 07:49:12 PM »
I'm a relatively new player (just a few months, never really posted here before except one thread in the tech support section) and I mostly rage because of how incredibly inconsistent I am. My first Touhou game was Embodiment of Scarlet Devil, which took me three months to finally 1cc on Normal. I did the same with Imperishable Night a while later and had a much easier time. Perfect Cherry Blossom, which I heard is one of the easier games in the series along with IN, is a whole another story. Just yesterday, after quite a few unsuccesful attempts, I finally decided to 1cc it on Easy so I could take a look at the extra stage... and failed. The second time was succesul, though still with way too many deaths. And then, on my second try at the extra stage, with no foreknowledge whatsoever, I made it about halfway into the fight with Ran. So either this part of the stage is exceptionally easy, or this makes no sense.

Something similar happened today, only in reverse. Mountain of Faith appears to be a rather easy game on Normal difficulty. Today was only my third or fourth try, I made it to Kanako with one life in reserve and predictably lost on Misayama Hunting Shrine Ritual, but I decided to take the opportunity and restart the stage a few times to practice the fight against Kanako.  Bad idea. I kept losing and losing before even reaching the aforementioned spell card, getting more and more annoyed all the time. Argh! I don't know, maybe I'm just trying to do too many things at once recently.

« Reply #165 on: May 18, 2012, 09:16:50 PM »
I thought just clicking on vpatch.exe did it? I guess not. Obviously I'm missing something here.

Is it something in vpatch.ini that I need to set, or is it a separate program?
I would try to set Vsync = 0 to 1 and see if that does any difference. Unfortunately I don't know what the other options do so this is as far as I can help. Sorry. :V

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #166 on: May 18, 2012, 10:05:51 PM »
Nazrin.

Nazrin.

Stop being a bitch.

I hate everything about UFO Stage 1 and it's all because of you. Your last card is backwards-ass difficult and dear Kanako fucking Yasaka, I do not even NEED to complain about your stupid little bullet clusters, the fact that your stage is the start of UFO chains, and EVERYTHING ELSE, that lead to clipdeath to restarting to incorrect UFO piece to restarting to Nazrin Pendulum I fucking hate you to restarting and repeating that bullshit for the next two hundred thousand fucking years.

First I get good at UFO. Then something interferes and I get little opportunity to practice. THEN I FUCKING SUCK.
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

BT

• I never talk to you
  • People say that I should
« Reply #167 on: May 18, 2012, 10:20:27 PM »
Yeah, Stage 1 sucks. I was exactly like that for a ridiculously long time until I just got... better at not screwing anything up. It'll happen eventually.

As for Nazrin Pendulum, if you're not feeling it, just bomb. It's not a huge waste.

« Reply #168 on: May 18, 2012, 10:24:47 PM »
What I did back then: Bomb Nazrin Pendulum and stop failing the stage at all.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #169 on: May 19, 2012, 12:58:58 AM »
I've only failed High Sensitivity Nazrin Pendulum once :o

Gold Detector, however, I've also failed once. For which I rage.

« Reply #170 on: May 19, 2012, 01:18:59 AM »
All those things people have said about Chiyuri.

They're all true.
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Zil

« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2012, 01:21:19 AM »
I smiled when I read that.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #172 on: May 19, 2012, 05:39:49 AM »
quality of play = 100 - time after first death ^ 3

I am very convinced that dying is what makes me terrible at Touhou.
Just had a semi-perfect Murasa fight, and then one death on Ghost Ship Harbor turns into a 3d1b Ghost Ship Harbor and a 2d/Game Over on Dipper Creeping Closer.
What.

« Reply #173 on: May 19, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »
PoDD, or more likely Next, frequently ignores my bomb key-presses.  At first this was simply frustrating, but I learned to press x earlier and repeatedly so that I'd get in multiple key-presses (thus giving the game more opportunities to register the input), as I thought this would fix the problem.  And it did.  For a while.

Whenever things get crazy, the problem gets worse.  There are times I know I have little chance of surviving a shitstorm (especially Yumemi's) to make a boss kill or reversal without taking multiple hits, so I'll start hammering on x well ahead of time.  I'll get in a half-dozen or so presses before, almost inevitably, I'll get hit anyway.  This just happened - on hard, with Chiyuri against Yumemi - three times in a row in the final match.  And I still got her down to her last half-heart before dying.  Granted, hard is slow-motion compared to lunatic, and I still have a ways to go before I get any 1ccs there, but this is still something I want to accomplish.  And it's something I know I can accomplish, which makes this bullshit impediment particularly infuriating.

Why it's only with bomb and bomb only, the most critical input to have when the intensity climaxes... I can only conclude that I have implicit proof of the existence of actual intelligence in machines.  Chinese room: meet sadistic, Japanese shmup.

tl;dr: PoDD can go eat a bag of dicks.  I'm taking a rage-nap.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 02:31:36 PM by K.B. »
eb: there should be a shmup that is sort of like podd minus the versus shit
eb: you go dodging semirandom things then it goes WARNING GET OUT OF THE WAY MOTHERFUCKER and you get a shitstorm
KB: and there is no way out of the way
eb: the way is through

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #174 on: May 19, 2012, 04:19:28 PM »
What I did back then: Bomb Nazrin Pendulum and stop failing the stage at all.

No no no no nonononononoNO.

I had many, MANY issues that led to a great amount of impatience even when it's the first run of the day, which leads to a bunch of risky situations in stage 1 just to make sure everything's all peachy keen fancy dancy PERFECT. 43/4 lives by the end, Red and Green UFO pieces in tow, around 2.5 power (This is all before the fight with Nazrin, where the rule is "No fucking up anything but bombing Nazrin Pendulum or I ragequit"), or I restart it all.

Nazrin Pendulum, I can capture. Rarely, but I usually deathbomb it. I'm getting pretty good at that. That is a small problem compared to the rest of the stage's risk factor just for wanting to start off the game right!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 04:23:44 PM by Ace »

Enjoy.

Zil

« Reply #175 on: May 19, 2012, 04:41:58 PM »
You don't need to be so perfect with it. UFO is best played like a game of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots.

@K.B. - You probably knew this already, but Chiyuri can't bomb when she does a charge attack. It sounds like you might have something else going on though.

« Reply #176 on: May 19, 2012, 06:08:17 PM »
Aya and Medicine are OP vs. computers, and an effective unbroken character is Marisa.  Reimu is also very effective to have a human use.

From what I've heard, Youmu is one of the two characters who dominates Japanese PoFV tournaments (the other is Reimu)
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:17:05 PM by Star King »

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #177 on: May 19, 2012, 06:35:25 PM »
You don't need to be so perfect with it. UFO is best played like a game of Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots.

Exactly how so?

Enjoy.

Zil

« Reply #178 on: May 19, 2012, 06:48:39 PM »
How is it like Rock 'em Sock 'em Robots? Maybe it's not the best comparison. :V

What I really meant was you shouldn't worry about messing up the UFOs early on. Especially since the first stage is only giving you two or three of them, which is nothing compared to how many you can get in stages 4 and 5. Unless you're absolutely dependent on getting everything right, you shouldn't freak out over messing up the UFO path. Just roll with the punches and keep playing. Maybe you you'll win, maybe you won't, but restarting repeatedly just to get the first stage "perfect" doesn't help you at all. It's a game, remember, not a science project.

And Youmu is totally broken against other humans. I have to wonder why Medicine among the top characters, though maybe they just ban her in the first place.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2012, 06:50:24 PM by Zil »

« Reply #179 on: May 19, 2012, 06:48:55 PM »
Reading Shou's Non-Spell lasers are impossibly hard to read -.- except for her last non spell which is easily cheesed.

Jewelled Pagoda is just a nightmare, bomb at will. 2nd spell, is quite forgiving not too bad but still a fuckery, if you got technique and strategy. Final spell....fuck that, too lazy.