Author Topic: Anything like savestates?  (Read 12528 times)

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
  • would you like some deathbomb
Anything like savestates?
« on: June 04, 2010, 05:22:10 PM »
There are some particular spellcards in TH11 and 12 that I would like to practice with. Is there any application that lets you use something like "savestates" in emulators?

Drake

Re: Anything like savestates?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2010, 05:45:14 PM »
if there was only imagine what TAS people would be able to do

No there aren't. Go play full stages like everyone else :P

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2010, 06:26:03 PM »
Well, there was that TASed Subterranean Animism video on nico, where the guy perfected the whole game in ways not humanly possible, even in a TAS run. Savestates were used. How, I'm not sure, but they were definitely there. There was some gross RNG abuse/control as well. The video link escapes me at the moment, though.

Treasurance

• Now with 100% more Ban'd!
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2010, 06:42:48 AM »
Savestates ruin the sense of victory...which is a good thing.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
  • Kuroya Shinobu strikes again
    • TsundereWorks' Mo? Blog
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2010, 06:52:32 AM »
I'm actually thinking this could be useful for some.

I'm low on time and dammit I wanna do Touhou right. I'm tired of playing IN and I want to practice spell cards as many times as I want, whenever I want, and however I want.

As well as stages. There should be no shame in using savestates.

Why should be play through an entire stage just to practice the final card when you can save time and practice what you want right away?

DeviantArtPixivTsundere WorksYoutubeNEW! Liz Triangle's S4U
日本語勉強中 | Touhou Hard Modo Gamer

ebarrett

« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2010, 07:05:54 AM »
I'd love some savestates to try a VoWG timeout. As it is, I can't be arsed to play boring MoF stage 6 and boring Kanako more than once per month.

Treasurance

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2010, 07:09:48 AM »
It would be better if we had spell practice mode patches for the games...

Drake

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2010, 06:29:23 PM »
Except it would take an extraordinarily huge amount of work to add Spell Practice?

I dunno. Using savestates to practice would be pretty cool in my opinion just based on time saved, but it would remove the need for Spell Card records entirely. It would probably invalidate replays just by itself, but it would still be far too easy to just cheese stuff and pass it off as completed through skill. But with all the other ways you can screw with the game, it would just add to the pile of things to be wary about. I'm still unsure about it though, ehh.

Although it would help tremendously for TASing!

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2010, 07:07:56 PM »
I see that the only problem here is people playing and saving a replay, but not saying that it's been TASed.

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2010, 08:08:19 PM »
Yeah, you guys just implement such a feature and i'll do a quick little very good UFO 1cc and forget the detail that i used safestates...  :V

"What?! Okay, i admit it! I got a bit lucky on Byakuren and managed to perfect her but my run ain't that cheesy" only to go on in a Riskbreaker23-style continously claim that my run is legit. :)

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »
Yeah, you guys just implement such a feature and i'll do a quick little very good UFO 1cc and forget the detail that i used safestates...  :V

"What?! Okay, i admit it! I got a bit lucky on Byakuren and managed to perfect her but my run ain't that cheesy" only to go on in a Riskbreaker23-style continously claim that my run is legit. :)
Hasn't this problem always been around, though?

Drake

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2010, 09:05:02 PM »
It's a hell of a lot easier to tell a slowed-down run from a normal run, than it would be for savestating.

Treasurance

« Reply #12 on: June 07, 2010, 11:09:04 AM »
What? I thought nothing was impossible for this fanbase.

« Reply #13 on: June 07, 2010, 08:50:47 PM »
Safestates would be cool for capturing spell like Scarlet Meister though or timing out Extra spellcards.

SupahVee1234

• Koishi isn't cute
  • would you like some deathbomb
« Reply #14 on: June 07, 2010, 08:54:35 PM »
The only thing I need savestates for is not having to restart stage practice when I can do the whole stage perfectly but can't even survive without bombing on a specific spell card.

(SATORI GFBGSIGbiu)

The Greatest Dog

• Grazing at Mach 10
  • 90 Frames per Second GO!
« Reply #15 on: June 07, 2010, 09:42:18 PM »
Haha. I could use savestates to practice soo many things...
Scarlet Netherworld
Marionette
Source of Rains
Virtue of Wind God
Flying Fantastica (12-7 in DS)
... Still, I could live without them, but would there be a way to prevent replays from being used for stuff like that?

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2010, 12:57:41 AM »
Well, anyone got anything?

We're not getting anywhere. (I'll search a bit later.)

Drake

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2010, 01:27:07 AM »
If a concrete method to savestate hasn't popped up within the years that Touhou has been going on, it's not going to pop up just because you ask it to.

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2010, 03:52:55 AM »
I'd reply with ideas to this (I know of one that would almost certainly work, though it would require a fast computer and be a large pain to set up) but I don't think I actually want this can of worms opened up.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2010, 02:04:07 PM »
I'd reply with ideas to this (I know of one that would almost certainly work, though it would require a fast computer and be a large pain to set up) but I don't think I actually want this can of worms opened up.
Do it. Quad Core and 8 GB here.

lumber_of_the_beast

« Reply #20 on: June 09, 2010, 11:52:21 AM »
Do it. Quad Core and 8 GB here.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #21 on: June 09, 2010, 05:11:38 PM »
but I don't think I actually want this can of worms opened up.
Private Message.

do it. I want to practice Subterranean Rose so bad. Also, Ex Sanae's bullshit third card.

EDIT: Changed Subterranean Flower to "Rose" How the hell did I mess that one up?
« Last Edit: June 10, 2010, 07:29:52 AM by GreenVirus »

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2010, 06:51:19 AM »
Ex Sanae's bullshit third card.

What's so bullshit about that? Go ask about it in the spellcard thread and you'll get some help.

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2010, 07:30:50 AM »
What's so bullshit about that? Go ask about it in the spellcard thread and you'll get some help.
The point is, it would be a lot easier to practice if I could use savestates instead of running through half the stage just to practice that one card. It does get tedious.

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2010, 07:34:18 AM »
The point is, it would be a lot easier to practice if I could use savestates instead of running through half the stage just to practice that one card. It does get tedious.

Yeah it does. Part of the reason my skills progress so slowly. Because of the tedium its very easy to go "fuck this let's go play some Call of Duty".

Sanae's 3rd EX Card doesn't really require much practice though. Its simple redirection and dodging. If you cannot do it now, come back for it later and you might have improved.

« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2010, 02:06:36 AM »

hint:

go on the point where the red bullets spawn from

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2010, 02:40:58 AM »
Savestates are a bit prone to abuse so I'd suggest that if anybody works on something for the public that they do something closer to a spell practice hack to begin with. Not only would it be easier to tell if it was used, as you'd start directly at the card in question but it'd probably be easier to implement as well, since A. it was  already done in imperishable night and B. I'd imagine it'd be not be too dissimilar from stage practice anyway as they'd both be essentially level select systems.

Of course those are just my best guesses since it's not like I actually have skill in this sorta stuff. :P

Quote from: Drake
If a concrete method to savestate hasn't popped up within the years that Touhou has been going on, it's not going to pop up just because you ask it to.

Well it won't just pop up magically but that's part of what a request helps to remedy. Maybe someone will start working on it now that the idea is out there and might prove useful to people. This isn't to say that anybody will necessarily take interest; just more so a statement that they might if they hadn't considered it before.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2010, 02:56:29 AM by Tonepoet »

Alice★f

• That uncanny smile...
« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2010, 04:49:30 AM »
hint:

go on the point where the red bullets spawn from
No, no, I'm not asking for advice. My history is 1/303

You see, I don't bother to capture that card because by the time I'm halfway done with the stage portion, I figure I might as well try to beat the stage, no? If so, then I cannot afford to lose lives trying a spell card.

This is the same reason why I don't try to capture many Stage 6 final spellcards.
I've done my fair amount of searching. Nothing.

This thread is for that purpose anyway. I don't think anyone would have come here if this were a wishing thread instead. =P

Vibri

• yo, the beats are strong
  • but the night is long
« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2010, 05:47:19 AM »
No, no, I'm not asking for advice. My history is 1/303

You see, I don't bother to capture that card because by the time I'm halfway done with the stage portion, I figure I might as well try to beat the stage, no? If so, then I cannot afford to lose lives trying a spell card.

Uhhhhhh if you want to learn how the card works and you've made it to it 303 times you might as well just give it a try sometime?  It takes like two minutes of play to get to the Sanae midboss fight.  I'm pretty sure you could figure it out pretty easily, and actually I'm astounded that you've run into it 303 times and haven't tried, say, moving up some (spoilers: if you do this you barely have to dodge anything except the aimed shots, which you just stream.) 

« Reply #29 on: June 13, 2010, 12:40:41 AM »
Well it won't just pop up magically but that's part of what a request helps to remedy.

This is something that should not be remedied. It'll be impossible to detect if somebody used a savestate or not, and cheating will be the easiest thing in the world. As much "good" it may do for beginner players or whatever else, it completely fucks over any kind of competitive play.