Author Topic: Touhou - Birth of Unyielding Power (0.66)  (Read 59486 times)

AnonymousPondScum

Re: Touhou - Birth of Unyielding Power
« Reply #120 on: September 09, 2012, 02:07:20 PM »
The fight-ready gauge on the Reisen IIs seems to keep refreshing itself even for defeated Reisens.

EDIT:

Reisen II take 6 hits and Youki Konpakus take...3? :getdown:

EDIT DEUX:

I was fighting a Youki and partway through the battle when I selected the Fight option it would only let me cancel out, not actually attack.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:17:25 PM by Blissful Beleaguered Buddhist »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #121 on: September 09, 2012, 02:21:35 PM »
Also, if you don't like the supplemental materials that much, why is Reisen-II the first Touhou to receive the cannon fodder treatment here? :P
She's a place-holder for now. ;) I just lifted a few sprites from Touhoumon to have something to display. Characters will never appear in random encounters anyhow - just as battles resulting from events.

I went into combat and my Puppeteer Magician char's ready gauge never filled. I made a new Demigoddess character and it worked fine. Buh?
Yeah, that's why a wipe'll be needed. The character roles have been given pretty generic values for their stats without knowing how the formulas these stats would end up being used in would look like. Newly-created characters shouldn't have any problems but their stats are still incorrect (hit rate, for instance). :P Things should be fine once all the proper values are in and fresh new characters created.

Quote from: Blissful Beleaguered Buddhist
The fight-ready gauge on the Reisen IIs seems to keep refreshing itself even for defeated Reisens.
Woops. Forgot to prevent that. They don't do anything anyway right now so it shouldn't cause any problems but I'll have a fix up in a few minutes. (Edit: Done.)

Quote from: Hanzo K.
And my equips aren't seeming to do anything, despite being equipped, and having stats.
Double-woops. That fix for the problem you mentioned in the chatbox may've not been fixed properly after all. Sorry about that - I'll have that up in a few minutes as well. ^^;

Edit: Are you sure...? They seem to work just fine on my end. What are they doing? (Or rather, not doing?)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 02:37:33 PM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #122 on: September 09, 2012, 06:17:54 PM »
For starters, they aren't augmenting my stats.
And for two, when I remove them, I can't re-equip them.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #123 on: September 09, 2012, 06:53:54 PM »
For starters, they aren't augmenting my stats.
And for two, when I remove them, I can't re-equip them.
I've just logged into your account to see if I could replicate the problem. You had armor equipped as a weapon, which was probably caused by clicking "change" after equipping an item; the same thing happened to me earlier this morning and I've fixed the cause since then, so equipping something else over it should fix it. I had no trouble moving around your equipment so you should be able to fix it up just fine. A quick test reveals that your stats are being applied, but apparently not the item's bonus (the atk bonus your sharpened hat +7 gives doesn't stick, even though it gets displayed, for instance).

I'll have a look into that one - bonuses have also changed somewhat in the last update (for one, certain bonuses would never come up - you should find far more diverse items now) and it's not impossible some obscure part of the bonus section of the equipment-stat-applying code could still be using the old format. I'll have a look into that; good catch.

By the way...

Quote from: Blissful Beleaguered Buddhist
Also, would it be possible for players to individually pick any and all colors for each part of their avatar through a color wheel or something at generation?

Seeing as I had my hands dirty with the character role files I tried a few things in regards to this and found that adding extra colors really doesn't increase the file size by anything worth making a fuss over (Rumia went from 6kb to ~16kb after the changes - thank god we all have 28.8 baud modems nowadays!  ::) ). So instead of having 5 predetermined colors per "part", characters now have 12 colors per "part" spaced more or less evenly across the visible spectrum. This means a total of 248,832 color schemes per character role with every major color available (though not every existing shade of those colors, obviously) - if that's not enough then nothing will ever be. :)

I've also added a button to randomize the color scheme when creating a character.

Latest works
The Strongest

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #124 on: September 10, 2012, 12:04:04 AM »
Ahhhh, terrifico!

You're amazin', Ethan! :] (I am guessing the color things will be in the next upload? 'cause I don't see them in the chargen menu yet.)

Oh, did you see my post about the Youki glitch? I couldn't advance to the next floor in one dungeon because of that.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 12:14:22 AM by Blissful Beleaguered Buddhist »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #125 on: September 10, 2012, 02:13:11 AM »
I am guessing the color things will be in the next upload? 'cause I don't see them in the chargen menu yet.
The current color data in the DB would be all wrong for existing characters, so a wipe would also be necessary before uploading the changes. It'll unfortunately have to wait until the next update... :/

Oh, did you see my post about the Youki glitch? I couldn't advance to the next floor in one dungeon because of that.
Nope, sorry, I seem to have missed it. Have you gotten the same problem again since then? If so, can you check if there's anything in the javascript console? (Ctrl+Shift+J in either FireFox or Chrome). The list'll probably be choked with messages if you've never cleared the log but if there's an error as the last entry could you post it here? I have yet to get myself in the situation you got into, so the conditions for it may be a bit obscure. If it throws an error, I should be able to work out what happened from that. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #126 on: September 10, 2012, 03:07:55 AM »
Good news: No more unhittable Youki since that last glitch.

Bad news: HALP ME I'M STUCK.

I moved onto a "!" square and now I can't move in either direction. Oddly enough the square did nothing else aside from unintentionally(?) sticking me.

Also the menu button no longer works.

Now refreshing the window, starting anewish.

I...Think?...This error diagnostic I'm enclosing has something to do with it but you tell me. Hope they help.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 03:09:45 AM by Blissful Beleaguered Buddhist »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #127 on: September 10, 2012, 03:29:45 AM »
Good news: No more unhittable Youki since that last glitch.
Sa-weet! :D

I moved onto a "!" square and now I can't move in either direction. Oddly enough the square did nothing else aside from unintentionally(?) sticking me.

Also the menu button no longer works.
The log you've posted doesn't contain any code from the game I can recognize. I have noticed references to "lavasoft_search_plugin", which seems to be what's causing the errors in it. It's probably unrelated, and the problem may simply not have raised any actual error when it took place. :x

Can you tell me what kind of square it was? The "!" squares that are shown as "?" before the room is explored trigger combat. The "!" squares shown as "!" before exploring the room are events. I'll have a look to see if either of them ends up possibly getting into a unresolvable situation with the locking flag set.

Latest works
The Strongest

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #128 on: September 10, 2012, 03:32:32 AM »
It was an event tile I think, because if it were a combat tile I would have wound up fighting and not glitching on a trap.

For the record this was in the Frozen Lake dungeon.

Also, what telltale code should I look for in Java reports from now on to tell that it's BOUP glitching up and not some other thing?

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #129 on: September 12, 2012, 12:12:01 PM »
Time for a quick update on the current progress.

Pretty much all items that will be released in the first EoSD pack are done (not all are displayed in the shop; that's a lv. 1 character's items only and not everything's purchasable), as is the data for all character roles (with the exclusion of abilities). I'll be doing the dungeons next, item enchantments and traps, enemies, and finally events. I'll also be getting the enemy AI done at the very least as when I make the next update, the DB will be wiped and all newly-created characters will be "official" - being able to plow your way through end-game dungeons without meeting with opposition will obviously result in overpowered characters. ;)

A few minor issues have been fixed with battles, though at this point it'll be difficult to update the relevant files without also updating the rest of the content, so it'll have to wait for the EoSD update.

Also, what telltale code should I look for in Java reports from now on to tell that it's BOUP glitching up and not some other thing?
The log indicates which page/file caused an error. If something has the BoUP URL in it, that's a BoUP error. :P

Latest works
The Strongest

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #130 on: September 12, 2012, 12:57:46 PM »
Oh sweet! Lookin' forward to this!

I don't suppose the 'Youkai, Darkness' comes with a permanent Head equip of 'Charm Ribbon'?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #131 on: September 12, 2012, 01:47:32 PM »
I don't suppose the 'Youkai, Darkness' comes with a permanent Head equip of 'Charm Ribbon'?
Naw, that's just Rumia, not every darkness youkai in Gensokyo. But they do favor ribbon-type equipment as their headgear, and the actual Rumia does drop a ribbon-type headgear when defeated. :)
(Speaking of which, is it just me or shouldn't her name really be "Lumia"? Seems more fitting, particularly with "l" and "r" being the same kana in japanese...)

Here's a quick list of everything being released in this content pack.
- A few basic items not specific to any content pack. (In total, including the EoSD items, there's over 36 items/equipment.)
- A few basic equipment enchantments not specific to any content pack.
- The darkness youkai, fairy, ice fairy, and martial artist youkai character roles.
- Events and battles involving Rumia, Daiyousei, Cirno, Meiling.
- Items for levels 1 - 5 (weapons: swords, bows, gloves; headgear: ribbons, caps; armor: dresses, vests, clothing)
- The Small Path A, Frozen Lake A and B, and SDM A dungeons.
- Enemies from levels 1 through 5 and traps to be used in the above areas.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2012, 01:50:28 PM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #132 on: September 12, 2012, 07:21:36 PM »
So we gotta wait for the EoSD 2 Pack for anyone after Stg.3, huh?
Ah well, A Rumia Is Fine Too.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #133 on: September 12, 2012, 07:23:30 PM »
We have Meiling and Cirno and that's a fine enough start for moi.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #134 on: September 13, 2012, 04:58:59 AM »
Been a while since I been here because of school (Physics lectures are a pain right now). Seems like things are getting close to having playable content. Cirno is fine I guess (no Patchy........ :ohdear:). Looking forward to it Silver.

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #135 on: September 14, 2012, 10:18:59 PM »
In retrospect, given that half the cast is immortals, ghosts, or capable of regenerating ad infinitum in defiance of the laws of thermodynamics, permadeath in a Touhou roguelike would just be silly. :getdown:

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #136 on: September 24, 2012, 10:43:04 AM »
:reallylate:
That it would be.

On another note, mind givin' us players a progress report?
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #137 on: September 25, 2012, 05:47:47 PM »
On another note, mind givin' us players a progress report?
Sorry I haven't said much in the past week or two. I am self-employed and my workload is very variable. The last two or three weeks have been rather killer, with multiple projects coming in at once (like all my clients decided to just phone one another up and change the specifications of their project at the same time :D) so finding time to sit down and spend some time on BoUP has been difficult. Luckily I'm going to be finishing off the projects I'm working on early this week and will be able to get back to the game very soon.

Much of the first EoSD pack is ready but the enemy AI still needs to be added. It's a scripting system, which'll allow for a lot more intelligence than "pick a command at random between fight, heal, and defend :D". Given that there's already a scripting engine in the game, it won't be too hard to code this one.

So, sorry about the lack of updates lately; we're almost back in the "rawr, one new thing a day!" state we were in before. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #138 on: September 27, 2012, 08:51:22 PM »
get hype

geeeeeeeeeeeet hyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyype

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #139 on: September 29, 2012, 12:50:14 PM »
First button in battle menu, be it "Fight" or enemy, seems positioned wrong: it's left half is unclickable.

Twice I've spotted stairs to deeper level before encountering it. Both cases were when I was at bottom from it.

...Third case was when I was at north.

UPD
Rinnosuke's "Sell one" and "Sell all" buttons behave in same way, though I expected latter to sell all 5 my junks.

UPD2
I had 30/32 XP. Gained a couple after two Reisens. Levelup? No. 32/32XP. D:
Defeated Yoki. Gained another couple. Levelup. 0/67XP. Where are Yoki's ones? D:

BTW, aren't 4lvl enemies supposed to give more experience than 1lvl ones?
« Last Edit: September 29, 2012, 01:06:05 PM by Delfigamer »

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #140 on: September 29, 2012, 04:23:14 PM »
You're supposed to be able to somewhat tell what the neighboring squares have.
! = Event/Battle
? = Mystery
Stairs = Kinda obvious, eh?

And the exp rewards, stats, and such, are experimental testbed versions meant for the open beta. It'll all change once the first content pack, EoSD 1, is released.

As for the levelup bug, I've never run into it. Then again, I'm from a much earlier beta. I was one of the core group who got this idea spark'd I think.
Though Ethan here's the brains behind it all, folks like us gave the inspiration.

At any rate, looking forward to the full release of Content Pack 1!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #141 on: September 30, 2012, 10:49:09 AM »
I see.

Also, there's another bug. If I encounter enemies, escape from them, and then again go fight with them; "Fight" command will no longer show those enemies.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #142 on: September 30, 2012, 08:33:13 PM »
Many of these bugs have already been fixed. However, it's no longer possible for me to update the live version without wiping the DB first (IDs have changed, some formats are different, so on). Not only that, but interdependencies between the source files means if I update one thing I have to update just about everything. So I can't really do anything about these issues until the first content pack is ready. But feel free to keep reporting bugs - there's no guarantee I've spotted everything wrong with the already-pretty-big-and-growing-in-complexity code after all. ;)

- Never noticed the thing with the first button in combat. The clickable region must be slightly incorrectly sized; I'll have a look into it.
- Stairs (and events) are supposed to show up when you're one tile away. All other form of content (treasure, encounter, trap, etc.) are masked with a "?" icon to prevent the player from grabbing nothing but loot/never enter a trap tile/etc..
- The Sell All button issue has already been fixed in my version. Yeah, it had the same ID as the Sell One button. :)
- XP calculations have been revised. Yeah, higher-levelled enemies should give more XP, and they do. But the formula is broken and gives such a minimal increase as to be insignificant. I've switched to a percentage-based system since.
- The "no targets after escaping" bug has been fixed. Forgot what went wrong with that one, though.

I've started coding the enemy AI. Enemies will use a scripting system similar to most SNES CRPGs, allowing for actual intelligent responses instead of them picking attacks at random or something to that end. After this, only abilities/bonuses will remain and the content pack'll essentially be ready. Next week may be a bit slow for me but I'm hoping to get this released in about a week or so (taking into account time-eating-job issues)...

I'll be adding a manual to the game after the content pack is released. Should clear up a few things about the mechanics. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

AnonymousPondScum

« Reply #143 on: September 30, 2012, 08:34:14 PM »
GET HYPE

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #144 on: September 30, 2012, 08:56:10 PM »
Awwww yeah! Here we go! Time's a tickin'! Just a little longer and the full release will be upon us!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #145 on: September 30, 2012, 09:09:14 PM »
So, It's coming soon. I guess I should have time by then......hopefully.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #146 on: October 02, 2012, 07:30:18 PM »
Awwwwww yeaaaaah.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

AnonymousPondScum