Author Topic: Touhou - Birth of Unyielding Power (0.66)  (Read 59550 times)

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
Re: Touhou - Birth of Unyielding Power
« Reply #180 on: November 09, 2012, 08:32:35 AM »
This will be difficult to handle with content packs adding or altering things as much as they do so I may have to put something like that off until later.
U NO USE ENTITY IDENTIFIERS?
I thinked each entity (enemy/item/spellcard/whatever) has an internal name, or at least an index in some list; so entire entity can be got by that id; and player's info can only store the list of these ids.

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
  • Got squid, will travel.
    • Ethan Silver's Junkpile - Hacks and translation patches
« Reply #181 on: November 09, 2012, 09:51:01 AM »
U NO USE ENTITY IDENTIFIERS? (...)
That is not the issue.

The instruction pages are nearly fully up. Among others, the character roles and items sections are done. All data is drawn directly from the game's files, so any future content pack updates or changes will "automatically" be updated in the manual as well (w00t, less work for me! :P ).

This leaves just two sections to do and the upload of the game's recent changes tomorrow OHEY IT'S UPLOADED.

I will be adding a bug report form, either in-game or on the game's website/instruction pages, to facilitate reporting and tracking any issue that may come up. Next update will feature passive bonuses and elemental affinities, as well as additional items/equipment bonuses to take advantage of all of this. This'll just leave abilities and the first EoSD content pack will be complete.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2012, 10:16:31 AM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #182 on: November 09, 2012, 05:56:25 PM »
Wow, interesting stuff there. I assume that the Orin class prefers the Spirit weapon(due to her canonical ability to control evil spirits), while Chen uses Claws?
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #183 on: November 10, 2012, 12:53:00 AM »
I assume that the Orin class prefers the Spirit weapon(due to her canonical ability to control evil spirits), while Chen uses Claws?
Yup yup. Right on the nose.

I've been adding a few sections to the site (working on the bug-report thing I mentioned earlier and adding a player/character listing). Aside from the algorithms section (and the two new sections), everything else's up!

In less pleasant news, I've stumbled on two bugs. The first relates to defending - it sometimes "sticks" and I've had it pop up without using the command at all, at some point. Gonna have to scour the code to see if some condition fails to detect when it should be removed... The second involves escaping - the health you lost in that fight is restored after you've escaped. The game makes a temporary copy of the character when in combat and copies the data it wants to keep back to the original once the fight's over, so it seems it just skips that step if the fight ends via running. Better exploit that second one while you still can - it'll probably be fixed by the time you read this. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #184 on: November 10, 2012, 01:09:34 AM »
Never saw either of those bugs. I always took damage as normal, and retained it on escaping.
I'm glad I never found the guard bug though, that sounds like it could be nasty.

Speaking of which, that should so totally be a potential enemy. 'Guard Bug'.
Characterized by having a lot of HP for the area's standards, and a thick layer of Defense, but below-average RES, and likely a double-weakness in Ice and Fire.
(Which is to say, it's weak to both elements.)
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #185 on: November 10, 2012, 07:09:28 AM »
The manual/website is now fully up, with the exception of the algorithms section. The bug report form's a bit simple but it's good enough to send problems, complaints, death threats, and Momijis.

I've had a chance to look over some game data and intend to balance out a few things* before moving on to the next part. Damage values are too low for enemies, too high for players. Money also seems to flow like water. Granted, seeing as a few characters are level 4, I figure there's been quite a bit of grinding.

Shouldn't take too long. But it'll be pointless to get the algorithms section up if I'm going to change some things in the next few days. ;)

* No DB wipe will take place. No worries. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #186 on: November 10, 2012, 03:31:56 PM »
D: But I like being tanky! I think it's more the fact that the enemies that are player classes(such as Fairy and Ice Fairy) don't have weapons or armor themselves.(At least, they don't feel like they have any.)
And plus, there's also the aforementioned grinding.

And on the thing about the money, it's probably because of Cursed items being relatively common, and generally not too good ones at that.
That, and the fact that Frail/of Frailty is a bit too common a modifier. Maybe tweaking how common that one is would fix things.
Because seriously, I've found so many items with just the Frail modifier alone. And then there's the Frailty modifier, which comes up just as often.
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:34:27 PM by Hanzo K. »
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Delfigamer

« Reply #187 on: November 10, 2012, 04:40:37 PM »
Strange. After defeating Ice Fairies Lv.4 and Lv.6 I'd gained 8 XP, after defeating Lv.4 and Lv.5 - ⑨XP.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #188 on: November 10, 2012, 07:10:52 PM »
And on the thing about the money, it's probably because of Cursed items being relatively common, and generally not too good ones at that.
Given that cursed items sell for less than non-cursed items though, I'd expect finding a lot of Cursed Panties of Everitching would mean making less money than coming home with an armload of Swords of Localized Black-Hole Conjuration... (Wait, that kinda sounds like it'd be cursed too. Let's just say something with the "Frail/of Frailty" modifier vs "Thick/of Defense")

That, and the fact that Frail/of Frailty is a bit too common a modifier. Maybe tweaking how common that one is would fix things.
Because seriously, I've found so many items with just the Frail modifier alone. And then there's the Frailty modifier, which comes up just as often.
Both modifiers are the same - they just take a different form depending on wether they're prefixed or suffixed (eg, "Sharpened Gohei Fierce" or "of Defense Hakama of Speed" would look kinda... eeeeeaaaargh...). :P This is a known and documented bug on the "site" but the causes behind it are currently unknown (can't quite figure out why this only affects cursed items as the algorithm that picks the enchantments is the same in either case - I'm thinking some later modifier may interfere with the final enchantment generated somehow...).

Strange. After defeating Ice Fairies Lv.4 and Lv.6 I'd gained 8 XP, after defeating Lv.4 and Lv.5 - ⑨XP.
It's not actually as strange as it seems.

Basically, enemies' levels (and stats, including XP) are offset ? 25% when they are generated to give a bit of variance in their stats. Internally, for calculations (such as level-adjusted stats and the likes), the levels keep their fractional portion so two Lv 5 enemies won't end up being exactly the same. Your two groups were probably at levels 4.00 and 6.00 (total of 10), and levels 4.95 and 5.95 (total of nearly 11), making the second group actually stronger (and worth more XP) than the first.

However, for display, the level's decimal portion is trimmed off as it would look messy otherwise ("Ice Fairy, Lv. 4.86324905323" -> "Ice Fairy, Lv. 4"). Which can mislead as to how strong/weak the enemy really is. To correct this, rather than outright trim the number I've just rounded it off. You would have seen levels 5 and 6 instead of 4 and 5 had this fix been in place, so I think it should take care of the problem in all but a few mathematically-uncooperative areas, and only by one half of a point. ;P

Latest works
The Strongest

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #189 on: November 10, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »
Well, what I was getting at is that generally if I see something with Frail/Of Frailty, I generally sell it. Unless it's an acceptable enough penalty(Read: I have enough tankiness to compensate).
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #190 on: November 11, 2012, 12:34:51 AM »
Really, I hardly ever get frail items, most of the time I get pretty good ones and I sell the rest. Maybe you just have pretty bad luck......or I have super luck.

« Reply #191 on: November 12, 2012, 07:53:20 AM »
Hey, I'm not lurking anymore! Hi everybody! :blush:

Okay, I seem to have run into a bit of a problem. I found an unidentified belt in Frozen Lake Part 2, but the game seems to treat it as a blank space; I can't identify it or sell it, because it doesn't show up. Worse yet, when I sell the item above the belt, the game seems to fail to read the belt's data, resulting in a freeze. Did I get an unimplemented item that slipped through the cracks, or is this a random bug?

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #192 on: November 12, 2012, 04:51:54 PM »
Just now, I got a Frail Tank Top of Power + 4, and it gives a 30+ defense boost to what I already have. Is that... supposed to happen?

Also, the Lv 14 part of the small path has level 1 enemies, and is great for getting free cash. That's not a bug, right?

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #193 on: November 12, 2012, 08:53:03 PM »
Okay, I seem to have run into a bit of a problem. I found an unidentified belt in Frozen Lake Part 2, but the game seems to treat it as a blank space; I can't identify it or sell it, because it doesn't show up. Worse yet, when I sell the item above the belt, the game seems to fail to read the belt's data, resulting in a freeze. Did I get an unimplemented item that slipped through the cracks, or is this a random bug?

I've gotten this a lot actually, I just go to items in menu and drop the item. I gave up on trying t do anything else with them.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #194 on: November 12, 2012, 09:43:40 PM »
Could one of you getting these bugged items hang onto it and notify me of it? I'd like to have a look at what the game generated to see if it's not just trying to apply a bonus to it that references something that doesn't exist (might even tie into the whole "everything cursed is frail!" thing).

Just now, I got a Frail Tank Top of Power + 4, and it gives a 30+ defense boost to what I already have. Is that... supposed to happen?
"Frail" and "of Power" don't affect defense. The fact it's +4 gives it a pretty good bonus to begin with (I'm assuming you got that in the Lake's 3rd area). In addition, if it's an item your character favors (which it is) there's an additional 15% bonus to its effectiveness. I should note that getting a +4 item at your level is very unlikely, but...

Also, the Lv 14 part of the small path has level 1 enemies, and is great for getting free cash. That's not a bug, right?
There is no content for that section until the appropriate content pack is released, so the game can only generate easier-tier enemies. If unfinished areas are taken advantage of too much, I may have to eventually clear the donations and character money/items from the DB.

Latest works
The Strongest

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #195 on: November 12, 2012, 10:40:32 PM »
I only go there for fighting mostly, and seeing what I can find. I usually just sell most of what I find anyhow.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Yao-Kun

• Touhou Reimu & Miko Lovers
  • Busy doing college stuff...
« Reply #196 on: November 13, 2012, 06:34:24 AM »
Well, I found interesting bug...

I found this weapon in Small Path part 3 (Oh look -5 cursed), and when I sell it, this is what happen :

The game freeze and force me to reload.
After relogin, that cursed branch still in my inventory (unidentified), and when I try to sell it without identify it, the game freeze again.

EDIT : Whoops it seems the ?sling weapon glitched, not that cursed branch.
I've discard that branch, sell uncessecary item, and when ?sling highlighted during selling item, that 2nd picture happen. (and the ?sling can't be identify)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 06:42:00 AM by Yao-Kun »

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~
So much for Take it Easy...

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #197 on: November 13, 2012, 09:45:27 AM »
Well, I found interesting bug...

Like I was saying in my other post...

Could one of you getting these bugged items hang onto it and notify me of it?

I can't really do anything about it if you got rid of the item. The info's gone, so I can't really know what happened to cause the problem in the first place. If it happens again, please don't discard the item so I can give fixing this an actual go. :)

Latest works
The Strongest

Yao-Kun

• Touhou Reimu & Miko Lovers
  • Busy doing college stuff...
« Reply #198 on: November 13, 2012, 10:05:15 AM »
I can't really do anything about it if you got rid of the item. The info's gone, so I can't really know what happened to cause the problem in the first place. If it happens again, please don't discard the item so I can give fixing this an actual go. :)

Ohh, I see. I'm speed reading older post so I don't read it clearly.
I'll post it when I get that bug item again.

EDIT : I found one. (that ?Fake Glasses)
My account same as my name in MoTK.
EDIT 2 :
There is no content for that section until the appropriate content pack is released, so the game can only generate easier-tier enemies. If unfinished areas are taken advantage of too much, I may have to eventually clear the donations and character money/items from the DB.

It seems I need to stop grinding from part 3 until new monster implemented  :V
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 11:32:05 AM by Yao-Kun »

~Yukkuri Shiteitte ne~
So much for Take it Easy...

Delfigamer

« Reply #199 on: November 13, 2012, 11:58:50 AM »
Hm.
From what time dungeons became that big, enemies became that rare and traps became that common? [Edit:] And that evil! Last one ate about 140HP!
From time I've entered Small Path (Part 2)?
________

The game is slow! We danmaku dodgers are used to fast actions. But here I have to wait about 7 seconds after battle is finished.
And, by the way, could you assign menu items to numpad/numkeys? I'd be more comfortable to use keyboard both for moving on map and for fighting, without need to take a mouse in a hand...
________

Frail Belt of Defense +2
:V
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 12:20:03 PM by Delfigamer »

Delfigamer

« Reply #200 on: November 13, 2012, 01:21:28 PM »
Property "numbers"? :wat:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'numbers' of undefined - src_functions.js:274
  getItemCost - src_functions.js:274
  click_sellPickItem - src_sell.js:60
  init_shop_sell - src_sell.js:41
  handleInit - src_game.js:36
  main - src_game.js:215
NullPointerException!
EAccessViolation: Read of adress $0000000C!
:]

Well...
src_functions.js
Code: [Select]
269: // Apply bonuses.
270: if(item.data && item.data.bonuses)
271: for(var i = 0; i < item.data.bonuses.length; i++)
272: {
273: var bonus = item.data.bonuses[i];
274: c *= datBonuses[bonus.id].numbers.price[bonus.lv]; //Here goes the exception.
/* Script tries to to get datBonuses[22], because somehow I've got an item with bonus 22. But we don't have a bonus with id=22. So, script returns <undefined>. */
275: }
Item is still in my inventory. "?String". Login is "delfigamer".
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 01:23:26 PM by Delfigamer »

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #201 on: November 13, 2012, 11:10:07 PM »
Good evening boys and girls, it's time for...
Debugging Item Bonuses With Ethan! (Yaaaay!)

In today's episode, Ethan tackles the mean 'ol Item Bonus Generation Problem gang and learns a lesson about friendship from a cute anthropomorphic woodland critter.

Hi kids! How are you all doing today? Boy have I got a story for you all! Do you all remember the nasty Item Bonus Generation Problem gang that had been skulking around here lately? Well, we won't be hearing from them anymore! And all of this could have been prevented if it weren't for one tiny, itsy-bitsy bug. That's right! The IBGP gang-leader!

The mean 'ol IBGP gang would've gotten away with it if it weren't for its leader's calling card: the Non-Existant Bonus ID. Yup! I suspected this for a while, but in the end its existence was confirmed all thanks to our informer, Delfigamer! So I started doing some skulking about of my own, this time into the Dark and Evil lair known as The Game's Source Code. @_@

...Where it turned out I had not one but TWO fail-safe tests to ensure bonus IDs being generated DID, in fact, exist in the list of bonuses. Kids? I want you all to pay close attention to uncle Ethan now: put your hands over your ears and wait until I give a thumbs up before removing them. :)

What the fucking hell? Seriously, what the fucking hell? There's literally no fucking way a non-existent bonus ID can be generated. Not with two fail-safe tests that don't allow the one single place where bonuses are generated to return anything unless it's explicitly a valid ID. Complete. Fucking. Nonsense. OYA, and extensively testing the function to ensure it doesn't somehow generate the wrong ID never returned an invalid ID in ~1000 runs. Someone's fucking with me here... >_>

*Give thumbs up. :D*

Out of ideas, I went to visit the old sage, Item Data Serializer. He invited me into his little hut and offered me a cup of tea to clear my mind. As we sat around his table discussing the Item Bonus Generation Problem Gang, my head started feeling fuzzy and my vision swam about unsteadily. The tea! Item Data Serializer had drugged me! I confronted him...

"Hey old man, you put something in this tea! Just what are you up to?!"
"Hush, young programmer. You should have paid more attention to the server code..."
"I don't understand. You're the backend. You're supposed to be rock-solid or everything falls apart. How could-"

And then I knew. He was their leader. The leader of the IBGP gang! I felt myself growing weaker - the paralytic agent was working fast indeed - but I wasn't going to give up! I gritted my teeth, forced myself to stand, and ripped open the old fool's source code. The mountains shook with the fury of my debugging - it was such a simple bug, how could I have been so blind! - and soon the old man lay still. Moments later his eyes opened and he seemed oblivious to what had happened moments ago.

I smiled, thanked him for the tea, and left.

Do you remember the members of the IBGP gang? Item That Freezes Up The Game, Cursed Items That Almost Always Have The Same Curse, and even the cleverly-hidden Item Bonuses That Never Get Generated? I believe with the fall of their leader, they are now gone.

And that concludes today's adventures, kids! Remember, treat your friends right - a badger told me this, once. >_>

I'll be making an update in a few days - got a few other things I'm working on too - but once uploaded this should fix pretty much all bonus-related problems. The bonus ID was being improperly stored and IDs > 10 would overwrite the units with the tens (eg, 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 11, 22 were the IDs the game could generated; 11 is "Frail" I believe, and 22 does not exist.). In the meantime, if you have a broken item and can't get rid of it, let me know your character name and I'll remove the bonus ID 22 on whichever items have it.

Latest works
The Strongest

Delfigamer

« Reply #202 on: November 14, 2012, 01:08:18 PM »
Oh. How familiar. :3
That means, having bonuses 11 and 22 actually was not accidental.
________

What are odds of meeting a boss? I still run into events like "familiar darkness is creeping in" and "it's a trap". Is it just as planned?
« Last Edit: November 14, 2012, 01:16:42 PM by Delfigamer »

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #203 on: November 14, 2012, 06:11:46 PM »
Bosses are disabled until the full update. Once Bonuses and Abilities and the like are added in the next big update, Bosses will be a thing.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

Sparen

• Danmakufu Artist
  • Git ready, git set, PUUSH!
    • AFCDTech
« Reply #204 on: November 27, 2012, 02:27:48 AM »
Is this thread dead? Also noting the fact that the game hasn't had any major updates yet.

Genso

• Worldly Illusion
  • まかせろぜ。
« Reply #205 on: November 27, 2012, 02:43:24 AM »
Silver's pretty busy with real life and his real life job, so it's kinda common for there to be delays and such. But hey, we take what we can get.

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #206 on: November 30, 2012, 09:29:47 AM »
Ofux. It's an update! :o

• The list of bonuses for character roles is now online.
  • The bonus screen, in the menu screen, is now accessible. It is not yet possible to learn bonuses however.
  • Pressing 'enter' in battle proceeds to the next message. This can be used to go through the end of combat faster as well.
  • Enemy names in the target selection box have been made smaller so as to avoid overflow (such as with darkness kedamas).
  • Certain (possibly all) problems pertaining to bonus-generation for items have been fixed. (Items currently in your inventory that are bugged will still be bugged - simply drop them and it should be fine.)
  • A rounding error made the displayed enemy level sometimes higher than it really was.
  • Damage numbers were not always cleaned up after battle. This may have led to the "unclickable fight option" bug.
  • The data was not properly updated after combat, particularly when running away, leading to situations where all health lost in a fight was restored freely.
  • An error slipped into the trap handler and prevented them from triggering properly in almost all cases.

Bonuses are still not fully in but I have a clear weekend ahead of me so more stuff should be coming in within a few days.

Enjoy! :)

Edit: Bonuses are now done. There is currently no support for the status ailments some of these bonuses involve or for elemental damage/resistances yet, but the rest are all in. Note that BP are also used for skills, and that you're only meant to learn half of the bonuses and abilities available to your character role throughout the game, so going on a wild shopping spree may not be the best of ideas. ;)

Next up, the status ailments involved in the missing bonuses and support for elemental damage. Then abilities.
(Speaking of which, why not take a quick stroll down to the characters roles' page? Sneak peek ahoy!)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2012, 07:23:51 AM by EthanSilver »

Latest works
The Strongest

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #207 on: December 04, 2012, 06:12:51 PM »
Ummm...I think you may have broke something.
If it helps, this was on my Rumiaclone, and all I bought was Sword Mastery I, EVA Mastery I, Dark Core I, and the stock Light Frailty that comes naturally. I didn't get Light Core or Nightvision, given that they're both 10 BP.
I figured that with bonuses up, now would be as good a time as any to visit Small Path 3F, and try to locate a better sword than the +3 Frail Bokken I have right now.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

EthanSilver

• Lunatic Programmer
« Reply #208 on: December 04, 2012, 10:14:42 PM »
Ummm...I think you may have broke something.
Oops, my bad - I forgot to upload the most recent version of one of the files it seems. Thanks for pointing it out; fix'ed! :)

Latest works
The Strongest

Delfigamer

« Reply #209 on: December 05, 2012, 10:30:49 AM »
Party member
Party hard! :V