Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 192288 times)

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #720 on: June 16, 2013, 07:15:28 AM »
We all end up taking selfies because the ratio of cosplayer to pro/amapro photographer at most cons is wildly in favor of the cosplayer. Hell I ended up giving my old digital camera to my mom as the old group I ran with didn't ever really get into cosplay and with flickr/etc generally you'll find someone else taking the shot you want for you. This past Animazement was the first con either myself or my roommate came home with FAR more pictures of our own cosplays than of others. It was actually kind of refreshing and totally a big ego boost for myself.

Group shots will sometimes have proper photographers but it's pretty rare to get solo shots by someone with real gear unless you have a REALLY good/unique cosplay (or a pimp/handler :v). Even at photographer's paradise, Katsucon, no one in my group ever got approached by a real photograper. Eventually my roommate wants to get a DSLR and start dabbling more heavily into taking shots as he's starting to wind down his cosplaying (by winding down I mean only wear 4 costumes a con not 12 :b). I'm a ham and all I want to do is wear cute outfits so he can have the camera.

Also I'm still getting my sealegs as far as my confidence in cosplay and I'm still learning what poses work/look goofy as hell so I tend to be really camerashy.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2013, 07:21:36 AM by helvetica »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #721 on: June 16, 2013, 06:05:41 PM »
Group shots will sometimes have proper photographers but it's pretty rare to get solo shots by someone with real gear unless you have a REALLY good/unique cosplay (or a pimp/handler :v)
Don't forget being a hot girl and/or dressed skimpy :V
But it's hard here in the states to "break into" the so called PHOTO-PRIDE unless you're willing to pay for it.   I'm going to be hitting up all my contacts for a shoot at Otakon since I really do want some nice photos of my outfits (I did have a friend shoot my Red Mage and Kyouko outfits so that was sort of ~pro~)

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #722 on: June 16, 2013, 08:56:13 PM »
anyway, No matter where I go I notice you guys have no contact of good photographers, do you guys not have PHOTO-PRIDE? Like literally all I see are amateur shots, there must be some awesome (or at least filtered photos) of you guys in drag/cosplaying.

why would i pay for shame

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #723 on: June 17, 2013, 05:41:42 PM »
it is called free photo-event over here. you only pay for private shots.
you know like...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXfYwR1gt_c
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=guG-XpILDpw

Guys just walking around with some pro gear, you know, like hail him down, dude, won't you take one of me? And can I have a namecard?
{just an example} like I only ever get talked about money issues when someone actually wants to do an actual shoot, usually private or between the same series.
Event photogs should be plenty.

That said, I would imagine failing which there would at least be a filtered photo (done by you, or someone you are friend with) of you in cosplay.
I mean, meeting friends and stuff is usually what cons are about right? lest you are me, whose only interest is oogling at sexy cosplayers and drooling, usually in a corner... or on a crazy day, go up and start talking about them about a recent series and end up getting coscards. which I tend to throw away later.

and then there is this:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10201029828368550
the kind where you go absolutely nuts at an event anonymously

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 06:06:42 PM by ♛ 食蜂操祈 »
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #724 on: June 18, 2013, 07:41:08 PM »
Alright, so I'm thinking of cosplaying Neku Sakuraba from The World Ends with You.  I've already decided to get fabric and stuff and make/have my mom help me make the shirt, and pretty much everything else has been figured out but the wig.  Having trouble finding a good one to use.  Do any of you have any suggestions for that?

For those unfamiliar with the game, Neku looks like this:  http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20081227232318/twewy/images/d/d6/Neku.jpg
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

astroninja1

• Ocarina Lunatic
« Reply #725 on: July 01, 2013, 10:28:36 AM »
Hey I just joined and I'm planing to cosplay as Youki Konpaku at AWA, but I've never cosplayed before and don't even know where to begin looking for one, or where to find patterns to make one, any advice?
These are the main images im looking at possibly basing it on, preferably the first
http://fdzeta.com/imgcache/400724dz.jpg
http://static.zerochan.net/Konpaku.Youki.full.129868.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111222143818/touhou/images/0/09/Youki_Konpaku.jpg
« Last Edit: July 01, 2013, 10:46:53 AM by astroninja1 »

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #726 on: July 02, 2013, 07:00:40 PM »
Sounds to me it is easier to just buy the damn costume these days, especially if it is fabric, fucking expensive buying the damn fabric so much so that even the workmanship ain't worth the tits you got none to show to impress anyone... /rant
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #727 on: July 02, 2013, 07:37:47 PM »
Hey I just joined and I'm planing to cosplay as Youki Konpaku at AWA, but I've never cosplayed before and don't even know where to begin looking for one, or where to find patterns to make one, any advice?
These are the main images im looking at possibly basing it on, preferably the first
http://fdzeta.com/imgcache/400724dz.jpg
http://static.zerochan.net/Konpaku.Youki.full.129868.jpg
http://images4.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20111222143818/touhou/images/0/09/Youki_Konpaku.jpg
Folkwear has some nice patterns and may have one you could use. House of Rice also has a handful of good footwear options. As for fabric, I'd use a nice soft cotton for all white fabric with a non-twill bottomweight for the green.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

astroninja1

• Ocarina Lunatic
« Reply #728 on: July 03, 2013, 02:08:59 AM »
Folkwear has some nice patterns and may have one you could use. House of Rice also has a handful of good footwear options. As for fabric, I'd use a nice soft cotton for all white fabric with a non-twill bottomweight for the green.
thanks for the advice, links please?

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #729 on: July 04, 2013, 04:57:42 AM »
Well, it's been 2 years since I made my last cosplay, time to start again, have a month to do Kirito. Figuring out whether I want to make the coat or just mod one up, getting boots to mod, and of course I'm going to make both Elucidator and Dark Repulser. I'll probably start posting again once things get started.

Yucari

• Humble Tengu Reporter
  • Ah! Domo.
« Reply #730 on: July 08, 2013, 01:40:21 AM »
I've just added a few things to my etsy shop, including two of my old Touhou outfits (Aya and Yukari). Check those out here: http://www.etsy.com/shop/WoodWorksCrafts
I may be willing to give a slight discount for MotK members...

Don't forget, I'm also open for commissions!

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• sad to the core core core
  • SIE SIND DAS ESSEN UND WIR SIND DIE J?GER
    • tumblr
« Reply #731 on: July 08, 2013, 01:55:08 AM »
It really blows when you wanna cosplay cutesy characters but you're not really cut out for the cutesy look.

Not to mention the fact that I always look angry. I should try to do a serious crossplay someday, maybe Levi from SNK? Binding is going to be a pain in the ass, though.

haha ya im bak lol
3dpig.tumblr.com follow my tumbler

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #732 on: July 08, 2013, 01:58:44 AM »
It really blows when you wanna cosplay cutesy characters but you're not really cut out for the cutesy look.

You do realize this is the men-in-skirts fandom, right? <_<
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

ErASeR MOdER MAxiMUM

• sad to the core core core
  • SIE SIND DAS ESSEN UND WIR SIND DIE J?GER
    • tumblr
« Reply #733 on: July 08, 2013, 02:03:38 AM »
You do realize this is the men-in-skirts fandom, right? <_<
Duh. It's kind of a shitty double standard, though.

But being kinda gross looking as a girl gets you shit on pretty badly. I'm honestly afraid to ever cosplay anything seriously 'cause I don't want the "3d pig disgusting" treatment.  :ohdear:

I'm already insecure enough. I don't want to be compared to fanon standards and all that.

haha ya im bak lol
3dpig.tumblr.com follow my tumbler

« Reply #734 on: July 08, 2013, 11:29:16 AM »
I think that people who think bad about others just because they're crossplaying aren't worth it. Crossplay can't tell you if a person is nice or not, so if someone needs to look down on someone else based on that it means they have issues and people who are really worth it will know about that. You shouldn't be afraid~

« Reply #735 on: July 09, 2013, 03:25:22 AM »
So today I had this totally great idea that I was gonna get into the whole cosplay thing. Rather than buying a costume though, I thought I'd try to create my own, that way it's special and unique.

...unfortunately, after putting a little more thought into it, I do realize it's not so simple. :V So I'll end up buying my first few I'm sure. Knowing a bit about carpentry does not do very much for this, heh. Big chunks of wood tend to be heavy and not comfortable to wear. But it is a handy skill for weapons and such though, so that's nice.

I suppose the best way to get started is to ask advice from those with more experience than myself. We all know you don't just go from nothing to creating excellent things overnight of course, but where is a good starting point for a simple carpenter who is not greatly skilled with other materials? Something much more simple than a full costume, I'm sure, like a... what? I'm clueless honestly :derp: but willing to put forth some effort to learn. I guess a starting point depends on what kind of cosplay I'm going to be aiming for, so let's use Lucina from Fire Emblem as an example for now. How should I go about learning the basic things required to work my way up to that? (for reference pics, let's use this and this)

Thanks for any advice, even if it's just linking me somewhere else I'm sure it would be quite helpful!
« Last Edit: July 09, 2013, 04:07:20 AM by SirBlueberry »

Reddyne

« Reply #736 on: July 09, 2013, 04:41:02 PM »
Cosplay isn't so much a general thing to learn as it is a large collection of crafting skills brought together by where you pick up the stuff you're working with, whether it's Home Depot, Michael's, or Jo-Ann's. :V

Learning to sew begins with the machine itself. Some places offer classes, but it's typically easier to learn from a friend/relative since a sewing machine is easy to use once you've familiarized yourself with one. Next, learn how to use a pattern, which details how exactly a garment is put together. Look to Simplicity (especially for costume stuff), McCall's & Butterick, Burda, and other companies for one. The easiest type of garment to learn how to make is probably a skirt or cape, and for a first go, any cheap fabric will do since it isn't meant to be functional. Finally, learn the ins and outs of different fabric types to figure out which fabrics to use (i.e. knit fabrics stretch and should probably only be used for garments that do, some fabrics have a grain and need to be cut a certain way, twill takes a stitch like a champ but shouldn't be used for lighter clothes, etc.). There's a lot to know and a lot to learn. If you're a bit lost, look to the pattern, which will typically provide you with a list of recommended fabric types. Once you reach a certain level of experience with making garments, you'll be able to break an outfit down into which patterns to use and how they need to be modified as well as which fabrics to use. Also, wash all fresh fabric alone so that the extra dye doesn't wind up on anything else, and the only way to ruin fabric is to cut it TOO MUCH or paint/dye it too hard. Fabric is easy to fix unless you're careless.

Arts and crafts are always different because the technique depends exclusively on what's being made. Luckily, guides for making different things are plentiful and can typically be found all over the place. Really, part of the secret is looking up what someone else did and applying it to what you're doing. Craft foam armor looks like it'll help a lot here. It's versatile, forgiving, and cheap and easy to make. A single sheet of foam costs less than a buck and the best fabric for it is less than 3 bucks a yard at worst. If you can't find some in the size you're looking for, L200 sheets are available elsewhere, but are more expensive.

It's all well and good to be experienced with woodworking because props are great. I have also started to worship medium density fiberboard and wood putty. A decent wood shop and a nice set of tools is invaluable when coupled with the right imagination and know-how.

« Reply #737 on: July 09, 2013, 06:55:45 PM »
Wow, such a nice informative post, thank you!

Firstly then I'll have to familiarize myself with the machine. Actually my mother used to make some simple Halloween costumes for us a while back, maybe she can help me get started on that. And then start simple... A skirt or cape, noted. I may start off with the cape because the extra practice would be nice. I'm sure I'll be making a few before I get the hang of it :V But that's okay, that's why you use cheap fabrics for that.

Wash fresh fabrics alone, I'll be sure to remember that. It seems fabrics are much more forgiving than wood is. Wood can be ruined in a great number of ways, learned that the hard way :derp: Plus you don't have to worry about big, sharp, spinning teeth that are always out to get you!

This'll take a bit to get used to, but it should be fun. Thanks again!

« Reply #738 on: July 15, 2013, 10:47:16 PM »
Our group usually cosplays Touhou for all kinds of events, specially in Barcelona, so when the biggest Barcelona mangacon came by...

...a friend and I suggested Touhouswag, and this is the result:

On tumblr

I'm the Alice cosplayer there~ (and also the person who edited the picture)

Shinki, Yumeko and I took some serious pictures too:

For some reason all of the pictures where we appeared together turned out to be a complete failure except for one, which Yumeko edited and... well, the picture became a failure after the edit orz Luckily Vhaltz took random pictures of us during the photoshoot with my shitty camera because he kind of got bored of watching us posing, and this picture turned out to be good enough \(owo)/

Shinki got this awesome idea for a picture, but we kind of failed posing for it because she pretended to read the Grimoire saying things that made us laugh. We both look retarded in most of the pictures wwwwwwwww At the end the only usable picture was this one where her face cannot be seen. Oh well...

Nothing interesting to say about this picure, but I still like it~

I usually upload my cosplay pictures to my dA and my Tumblr, if you're interested:
http://mitsuki-aizawa.deviantart.com/
http://mitsuki-aizawa.tumblr.com/

Shinki: http://yoshi-a-1rst.deviantart.com/
Yumeko: http://krystalwitch.deviantart.com/
Photographers: http://vhaltz.deviantart.com/ http://kitthehedgehog.deviantart.com/

Reddyne

« Reply #739 on: July 17, 2013, 12:11:08 PM »
Any regulars or passerbys know where I can get wood/MDF cut to spec? Retail places like Home Depot offer such services, but they only cut straight edges and not at angles. I'd like to use something like a table saw to cut both nice straight edges as well as specifically angled ones. I'd like to make a sword, but I only have access to a limited amount of tools and don't want to pay an arm and a leg to borrow a saw I barely know how to use.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #740 on: July 22, 2013, 03:19:26 PM »
I am guessing that most of you DONT KNOW

ORE WA GUNDAM SENMETSU KYOUKAISHIROU

just to let you all know I can flex in this 20KG plus armor ( here 
Well, it's been 2 years since I made my last cosplay, time to start again, have a month to do Kirito. Figuring out whether I want to make the coat or just mod one up, getting boots to mod, and of course I'm going to make both Elucidator and Dark Repulser. I'll probably start posting again once things get started.
the cost of ordering one from Props maker pro is roughly only USD 150 for one I feel it is justified consider it is metal like the real thing.

« Last Edit: July 22, 2013, 03:27:35 PM by ♛ 食蜂操祈 »

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #741 on: July 24, 2013, 09:47:42 PM »
Metal is banned from most conventions unless it's a small accent part or like tin foil, a real metal blade will absolutely not fly.

In other news, maybe I'll finish in time for Otakon, armor party this weekend where I actually will be using the leftover thermoplastics from my super talented friend so hooray most of the coat will be hidden by said armor and the corset which you can see is in progress.  Everything is pinned together since I need to do the final fitting to attach the lining, I was thinking about adding interfacing to the back of the coat, but between getting smushed by the corset and the armor I think it'll just make whatever is hanging out bunch out really dumbly.

(totally stole the PJ pants from my husband whoops)

I need to shorten the corset a bit so it sits right on top of my hips, the proportions from the artwork are really weird but thanks to super interfacing + boning it ain't sagging. I'm still not 100% sure how I'll do the front stomach panel so it's stiff enough but still allow me to sit and breathe. More of my corset interfacing and foamies I suppose. I also need to take in the front coat overlappy part, that's why it's so bulky.  And of course boots and the sword.  Welp.  At least the pants are almost done and only need the zipper and waistband installed.

This outfit clearly makes no sense.  I'm just making random guesses as to the logistics of everything that is blue and how it all comes together.  OH WELL WHATEVER

Alchemist

• Potions! Acid Bombs! Mutated Plant Monsters! SCIENCE!
  • I'm Esi's Jen. <3 Esifex
« Reply #742 on: July 24, 2013, 11:32:46 PM »
We all end up taking selfies because the ratio of cosplayer to pro/amapro photographer at most cons is wildly in favor of the cosplayer. Hell I ended up giving my old digital camera to my mom as the old group I ran with didn't ever really get into cosplay and with flickr/etc generally you'll find someone else taking the shot you want for you. This past Animazement was the first con either myself or my roommate came home with FAR more pictures of our own cosplays than of others. It was actually kind of refreshing and totally a big ego boost for myself.

Group shots will sometimes have proper photographers but it's pretty rare to get solo shots by someone with real gear unless you have a REALLY good/unique cosplay (or a pimp/handler :v). Even at photographer's paradise, Katsucon, no one in my group ever got approached by a real photograper. Eventually my roommate wants to get a DSLR and start dabbling more heavily into taking shots as he's starting to wind down his cosplaying (by winding down I mean only wear 4 costumes a con not 12 :b). I'm a ham and all I want to do is wear cute outfits so he can have the camera.

Also I'm still getting my sealegs as far as my confidence in cosplay and I'm still learning what poses work/look goofy as hell so I tend to be really camerashy.

Hi, this is Esifex's girlfriend. I am a photographer with aspirations of going pro. I have been working on my DSLR gear and want experience. I've done a FEW cosplay photoshoots but I wanna do more. Also, Animazement is local to us.

If you wind up going to AZ you should ask me or Esi for my (newish) FB page with recent stuff on it. We could maybe set something up!

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #743 on: July 25, 2013, 03:31:14 PM »
Eh over here our pro photographers just gather in one spot and everyone fights or line up (on a good day) to get their photos taken.
talk about monopoly of photography too, they then take months to process it. It is all okay I guess, after all, this is some kinda free-phototaking-obligation.
I am thinking of investing in a Pentax mirrorless semi-pro for a good 1799 dollars wondering if that is worth it.

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #744 on: July 26, 2013, 05:18:10 PM »
OH MY GOD
This deserves a double post

MY FRIEND IS A GLORIOUS TRAP

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.123912854480668.1073741830.100005858615156&type=3

JUST...
JUST FABULOUS go scroll down to that Momiji, tell me you don't wanna glomp this tengu and take her home???

« Reply #745 on: July 31, 2013, 07:58:24 PM »

A picture from Barcelona's Sal? del Comic from months ago that I recently edited~
Nepeta was one of the first cosplays I made, and I honestly had no idea of sewing. The hat is kind of awful (>_<)

gammaraptor

« Reply #746 on: August 03, 2013, 04:47:24 PM »
Was sick over the last week, so didn't get much done. with a week left till Animethon. I think it's Kyouma mad scientist time, going to buy a pack of dr pepper

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #747 on: August 04, 2013, 01:40:35 AM »
Was sick over the last week, so didn't get much done. with a week left till Animethon. I think it's Kyouma mad scientist time, going to buy a pack of dr pepper
I totally misread that as "going to be a pack of dr pepper".  Would be an interesting cosplay idea, no?  =p
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

♛ Apher-Forte

« Reply #748 on: August 04, 2013, 01:44:50 PM »
Just finished Comic Fiesta Mini - I went as Alcor, will post pics soon.
highlights of my trap friend and some of myself

the ultra moe, super famous cosplayer (currently ranked 6 in CURE) Mon and... KING --->    I do say, chaps, I'd kill her softly with my song Neko neko tenshi (a loli Mikasa) chopping down some titans just me... needs more makeup - had none due to rush rush rush.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2013, 01:47:49 PM by ♛ Apher-Forte »

gammaraptor

« Reply #749 on: August 13, 2013, 02:57:07 AM »
So I decided it's probably time for me to actually stop slacking off and planning making a better cosplay, maybe for halloween/next con in winter. For reference as to what I want to do I'm doing "Dark Flame Master" from Chuunibyou.

I have a few questions though, I have patterned a coat, bought fabric, and all that wonderful stuff before, but I've been considering trying to actually mod an existing coat instead, assuming I can find the right texture and color. Would prefer to have advice from someone that's tried that before.

Also, what's the best way to make a sword?