Author Topic: MotK Mafioso Mafia! Over  (Read 61935 times)

Re: MotK Mafioso Mafia! Over
« Reply #600 on: April 29, 2010, 03:02:44 AM »
I don't even know why but Kilghost really made me smile. Even before it was explained. Kilgamyon~

« Reply #601 on: April 29, 2010, 03:12:51 AM »
Kilgamyon made me panic a lot at first :V Though the first time I saw it I thought he was a bulletproof for some reason...

The ⑨th Zentillion

• The impeaches were delicious...
  • Now hungry for conviction!
    • Zentillion's Tumblr
« Reply #602 on: April 29, 2010, 03:30:37 AM »
Phew. Okay, I'm better now. Anyway, I have to apologize for just how bad I made this particular game. but despite this, it was a particularly interesting learning experience, and actually is the main reason I joined this game - to see if I was Mafia material, and I got my answer. Sure, it may have been "no", but still.

Despite my obvious stupidity and griping, I'm happy I joined this.

...If I ever do Mafia again, it'll be some time, or as a GM.
Did you bring a light?
...No...

Smash the Fash; The far right belongs in the TRASH.

Re: MotK Mafioso Mafia! Day 1 start!
« Reply #603 on: April 29, 2010, 03:36:52 AM »
GUYS, I'VE FOUND AN AMAZING REVELATION

If this is inaccurate I blame the nazis.

Zakeri (5): Kilgamayan. Roukanken, Serela, Zentillion, Kefit
Chaore (1): Kitten4u
Furienify (1): Alice Margatroid
Serela (1): Chaore
Zentillion (4): Furienify, Carthrat, UncertainKitten, huh what
Roukanken (1): Zakeri

Around 24 hours remain.

##Vote CARTHRAT, HITLER OF LURKERS for ruining Edible's votecount

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
  • Make a yukkuri and take it easy with me
« Reply #604 on: April 29, 2010, 06:11:52 AM »
GG to HW and Rat. Everyone else...yeah..

Refer to bofh's sentiment after Invasion for mine.

« Reply #605 on: April 29, 2010, 07:20:36 AM »
I make absolutely no claims to be a magical mafia diviner, and I won't make this claim in the future unless huh what also turned out to be scum in this case.

I'm a Magical Mafia Diviner!

Dead Princess Sakana

• E is for Elodie, who swims with the fishes.
« Reply #606 on: April 29, 2010, 07:28:14 AM »
I'm a Magical Mafia Diviner!
Your avatar is so fitting for that  :V

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #607 on: April 29, 2010, 07:53:07 AM »
Wow, that was a fast game. :V So town's only powers were a conditional vigilante and someone who keeps yapping after they die?

What did scum get?

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #608 on: April 29, 2010, 08:05:44 AM »
<bofh> I will give MoTK Mafia one more chance.

That's what you said how many games ago? :3

Read over the IRC log. So everyone's made their apologies and had tea. I want to hear no more whining from Rou. Seriously just STFU because if you want to wallow, go do it in mud.

bofh already went over the theory and whatnot. I don't get why he wrote up a guide to playing scum when one for town would have been way better :P

Cut: Scum got a BP and messenger.

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #609 on: April 29, 2010, 08:07:42 AM »
Haha, yeah, it's like both parties were completely roleless.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #610 on: April 29, 2010, 08:11:21 AM »
And I'll need the full setup for the archives

Kitten4u

• Ochophobic
  • Too cute to kill
« Reply #611 on: April 29, 2010, 08:15:52 AM »
Haha, yeah, it's like both parties were completely roleless.
I dunno, I made the messenger role somewhat useful.  I basically gave Rou a fake PR which would have made it 1v1 where both sides were actually town.  It doesn't *sound* very strong, but if used right it can actually be somewhat deadly.
My favorite mythical creature? The honest politician.
A life cool.. where can I download one of those?
Hurray for apathy!

DA|Tumblr

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
« Reply #612 on: April 29, 2010, 08:50:35 AM »
The bulletproof, on the other hand, was pretty much a non-issue. huhwhat wouldn't have needed it and it was a trap for us anyway.

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #613 on: April 29, 2010, 11:24:02 AM »
bofh already went over the theory and whatnot. I don't get why he wrote up a guide to playing scum when one for town would have been way better :P
Because at the time Scum had a series of games in which they were sucking, and I am far, far better at playing Scum than I am at playing Town. My Town game has since then improved (that document was written nearly a whole year ago), but it's still far behind my Scum game in terms of skill. Anyway.

That being said, I am in the middle of writing an analogous document for Town strategy/play. It really aggravates me that 95% of what I am writing in it is literally either just basic common sense, or something that Town here really should have seen as it's the reason they've been chronically losing games here for the past year or so and not to mention something that I've been yelling at them over since approximately January, but yeah. If it will finally get people to listen, then that's great. And if not, then I always have the DL to play mafia at, and they're actually, y'know, competent at this game. :P

Anyway, onto discussion/analysis of the current game:

First off, I apologise to everyone. I didn't deserve the D2 lynch. More to the point, after I had shown up and started contributing, had I finally followed through and made a proper case on someone (and it likely would have been Kefit now that I think about it, principally over the piss-poor reasoning of "well Carth is totally Scum because he managed to direct Town down a direction of lurkerhaet", which is piss-poor reasoning due to the fact that before said post TOWN HAD NO DIRECTION WHATSOEVER. Anyway.) I could have turned the game around, especially considering I had largely gotten the bandwagon off me and the last remaining relevant person on my bandwagon, i.e. Carth, would have moved off it as well (especially had I gone after Kefit before him, and if I had gone after, I would have completely agreed with him).

Instead, I had realised that if I simply went straight back to lurking, this would instead give credence to Carth's case on me (i.e. I really was only showing up due to moderator pokes and then saying the bare minimum to get any bandwagons off of me), and even if it didn't, either Town Apathy would force a vote for me as I had the most votes out of anyone still, or I would simply be modkilled at the end of the day for inactivity, and thus I wouldn't have to deal with this game that at this point was so painful and aggravating that I could barely force myself to read through a single page thereof, and having a role that (at the time) was completely worthless but had it not been for (what I thought at the time to be) a fairly stupid restriction, incredibly useful, didn't help.

And thus I basically let myself get lynched. I am not even remotely proud of this move on my part. In fact, I'm still mad at myself over it, considering just how many times I've bitched at people that "if you don't want to play the game, don't /in!". Quite honestly, I deserve several bad things said against me - what I did was incredibly selfish, and accelerated Town's loss when I could have seriously turned things around for them instead.

That being said, Town played absolutely atrociously. Some things stand out:
- Guys, Zent is Town. He is playing terribly. Like, blatantly awfully. If he were Scum, he had buddies. This means one of two things: either they would force him to run ANY AND EVERY POST HE ATTEMPTED TO MAKE BY THEM, and correct it before approving it being posted, or they would turbobus him as not only would he give them absolutely MASSIVE amounts of TowniePoints(TM), but he was also potentially a HUGE liability in terms of his level of play - he could inadvertently link himself to a buddy and then that buddy could potentially go down with him, which would be far more terrible for Scum than just losing Zent. Seriously. Remember wrathie in GWU Mafia - he played equally terribly if not even worse. And by LYLO, both Affinity and u? had (correctly) ID'd him as Town for pretty much the above reason.
- Trying to attack me for what I did at the end of D1 is utterly moronic. Most of my reasoning can be found in my argument with UK, but in the interest of not torturing everyoneforcing everyone to read through that mess, I will restate it in a nice, succint fashion: Scum want to get Townies lynched, and not attract attention to themselves. Both Zak and Zent were wagons which were pathetically easy to jump onto, as evidenced by K4U's L-1 vote for Zak that iirc only myself and Kilga actually ever wound up bringing up. Given that I had my choice of "delicious Townie" or "delicious Townie" to lynch, then I am not going to awkwardly try to claim that I will lynch someone, then not do so, leaving my vote sitting on a third person who had no chances of being lynched. It fails both the first and the second goal of Scumplay - it attracts a lot of undue attention onto me, and it makes lynching Townies harder because now they have one less Scum vote on them. In short, it is absolutely moronic as a Scumplay, and thus not one any even semi-competent Scum would make - it's just dumb. Which is not to say that this absolves me from being Scum, just that it isn't a Scumtell.
- K4U, Kefit and Furienify were all Obvscum and I'm severely disappointed that none of Town picked up on them until it's too late. I'm also extremely aggravated that everyone is stating that they really should have seen K4U and Kefit, and only those two, when Furienify was more Obvscum than both of them combined, and considering that K4U played lurkerscum to levels only comparable to my early play on this site, and Kefit made the most terrible case against anyone that I've seen in awhile (that some of you even bought! Shame on you, seriously.), that's saying something, but look at this: D2 he was totally worthless, and D1 he said a lot of words but virtually no content. And really, the fact that he started the Zent wagon was irrelevant: not only was it done very shortly after the jokevote phase ended, but starting a wagon is only a good defence against being Scum if the wagon is on A Scum., and even then it's not perfect, because lol bussing. It showed Town that he had An opinion, A Single One, but even that one was so insignificant that it could safely be ignored in terms of his contributions, especially considering just how many posts he had made since then. Lurking is Scummy - in fact, ScummiEST behaviour, to quote InSovietAlex. However, Active Lurking is even Scummier, because while Lurking has excuses (RL, computer exploded/internet is down, power outage due to squirrel treating a pair of electrical wires as food, etc), Active Lurking has literally no excuse, because not only does it show that you are saying nothing and thus we cannot glean anything off you that can be used to determine alignment, but it shows us that you have no excuse for not doing this, as you have more than enough time to make not just one, but SEVERAL posts in the game per day that are utterly devoid of any useful content.
Anyway, now for things directed at specific people:
NeoSerela: IF IT IS LYLO, YOU DO NOT VOTE UNTIL EITHER THE TOWN HAS MADE A FINAL DECISION THAT AT LEAST THE MAJORITY HAVE AGREED UPON AND HAVE DECIDED TO FINALLY PLACE THEIR VOTES, OR IF THE DEADLINE IS SO CLOSE THAT YOU ARE FORCED TO VOTE, NO MATTER HOW GREAT AN INDIVIDUAL'S TRANSGRESSIONS MAY BE AT THIS TIME IN YOUR EYES. Seriously.
Roukanken: shut the fuck up, stop whining, give yourself a good, solid kick in the arse, and actually improve yourself. You are capable of playing this game at a high level, I've even SEEN you play this game at a high level as Town multiple times so far now, so quit whining, quit making up cheap/worthless excuses, quit being a lazy asswipe and improve your play. I KNOW you can do this, so seriously, just do it. You know what is wrong with your play as Town, you know how to fix it, the only thing left now is to fix it. So just fix it! Seriously.
UK: Oh boy. There will be a full separate discussion with you over several issues later, after Myself/Kilga/Edible/Pesco finish deliberating on some things, but could you please stop attempting to brag about what you would have/should have done when you really didn't actually do anything? I'm surprised it took you until the NK to note that Kefit and K4U were likely Scum - and attempting to glean into from NKs and solely NKs *is* a pile of WIFOM simply because quite often Scum really can get away with NKing via RNG on this site and still win! (I would know, I've done that multiple times as Scum on this site by now :V)
Zent: If you're always going to play this horribly, don't join another mafia game. Not saying that you shouldn't at all, but you really need to have your playstyle improve by several orders of magnitude, and rapidly, because as it stands, the only player worse than you that this site has seen (outside of The Game That Does Not Exist, of course), is wrathie. And wrathie is, to put it succintly, erm...wrathie. So yeah. Play at that level seriously is nothing more than a distraction to Town, and I had actually attempted to vig you D2 before getting clarification on my role that the whole Obvtown dealie was not just flavour but rather an explicit game mechanic. Oh well.
Edible: 4 Scum in a game this size is seriously imbalanced - it should have been 3, especially given MoTK Town's level of ""skill"". That being said, apart from that, the setup *was* quite balanced, and I actually quite like the mechanics of my role, even though they were quite aggravating yesterday. So yeah, the setup wasn't a total failure, just needed one less Scum in it :P Also, you need to post moar voetcounts so that Kilga/Zakeri/etc don't have to do it for you. :P
Kefit: LALu is not a crapshoot. Specifically, it wouldn't have even applied to me had I not given up and continued playing the game after delurking, because that is the difference: I explicitly delurked (as I now had time for the game) and then had said things of value, whereas you and K4U had both kept up the same low level of activity throughout all of D2, and said only either garbage or painfully bad cases and nonsense when you did actually wind up posting anything. That being said, you didn't play terribly for your first game as Scum in 6 years, so don't be too hard on yourself. :P
h_w: Considering both myself and Pesco think you deserve the Town MVP to some extent (in actuality, Town MVP is either Kilga or Carth, and both deserve it, really) when you were Scum, you played quite well. Hope to see you in more games on this site.
Kilga: You deserve a lot of praise for sticking around in this game not only after you had died, but even after the game became nearly unplayable around the middle of D2. Seriously. That and for the fantastic postgame content~
Carthrat: Again - you made some critical errors in your play (and you were dead-on correct in what they were when I talked to you in PM), but other than that your logic was, as a general rule, sound, and you were probably one of if not THE most competent players in this game. So yeah. Don't be too hard on yourself. :P Also, you similarly deserve praise for the fantastic postgame content~
Kitten4U: Thanks for everything.

To end this poast, I am going to say that I am going to give MoTK Mafia one more chance. One more. That is it. If the next game winds up being a repeat of this one, I am going to leave it forever, and I am sticking to that. I really like this place, it was where I first started playing internet forum mafia, and where most of my accomplishments and...shall we say, "sillier" exploits are. That being said, it has stopped being fun at all for me as both Town AND Scum, and I don't have time to waste these days given my typical academic schedule, so if it's going to take up time AND not even be remotely fun, then yeah, I'm seriously just not even going to bother with playing on this site anymore.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2010, 11:40:03 AM by ?lice Bl?ckb?rn »
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

Carthrat

• HITLER OF LURKERS
  • MEIN MAIDENKAMPF
« Reply #614 on: April 29, 2010, 11:35:25 AM »
surprise side effect as to why lal is good

scum like to lurk, pretty much always true. Lynching a lurker gives you a good shot at getting them BUT

Even if you're wrong you're killing some useless townie, which is.. whilst not good, probably the least bad result out there for a mislynch. you get maximal gain and minimal loss out of this style. mafia is as much a numbers and odds game as it is a mindhax game.

?lice Bl?ckb?rn

• The real Alice Blackbarn!
  • "OH DESIRE"
« Reply #615 on: April 29, 2010, 12:07:14 PM »
As for the wonderful postgame content, here's the log that inspired it all:
18:05 <Kilgamyon> For postgame epix.
18:06 <Kilgamyon> [18:00:57] <Knight> THE ONLY THING THAT COULD BE BETTER
18:06 <Kilgamyon> [18:01:08] <Knight> IS ANOTHER SUB OF THAT STUPID MOVIE CLIP
18:06 <Kilgamyon> [18:01:18] <Kilgamyon> oh god yes
18:06 <Kilgamyon> [18:01:26] <Kilgamyon> Sub it about LAL
18:06 <Kilgamyon> [18:01:34] <Knight> YES

So, courtesy of Kilga and Rat (it's their idea and doing - I'm just the encoder/uploader), here is...MoTK Mafioso Mafia in a nutshell!
"Oh, great. Another game where I get screwed by Kilga." ~ Carthrat

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #616 on: April 29, 2010, 12:23:10 PM »
MoTK Mafioso Mafia in a nutshell!
:V

The end was pretty funny. Afterwards I imagined "WHO'S THAT POKEMON" "IT'S PIK)ry except with Alice and town/scum etc. And then GOD DAMMIT ALICE WAS TOWN

But yeah, now I know I should be paying a lot more attention to what I'm not seeing from people, and not just what they ARE saying. Since I feel bad for ISOing K4U, huhwhat, and Kefit, yet not actually seeing anything wrong (this was before the LAL thing popped up since I hadn't realized that existed :V)

Although at least I thought Furi was suspicious during D1, although somehow I ended up forgetting about that as D2 rolled around ;-;
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #617 on: April 29, 2010, 12:34:33 PM »
Now tell us what you've learned from bofh's post. That's the most important thing ya'know.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #618 on: April 29, 2010, 04:43:56 PM »
That was pretty damned hilarious and well done (the special post game content)

Kefit

• The Wild Draw Four of America
« Reply #619 on: April 29, 2010, 05:44:04 PM »
surprise side effect as to why lal is good

scum like to lurk, pretty much always true. Lynching a lurker gives you a good shot at getting them BUT

Even if you're wrong you're killing some useless townie, which is.. whilst not good, probably the least bad result out there for a mislynch. you get maximal gain and minimal loss out of this style. mafia is as much a numbers and odds game as it is a mindhax game.

While the numbers game stuff is true, I've never been a fan of treating Mafia as a numbers game where optimal play involves winning the most games over time rather than winning any one specific game. I like to play each game as its own separate entity to win, which makes reliance on odds much less attractive.

*has flashbacks to discussions on this subject from six years ago*

Anyway, I don't think my post against Rat was THAT bad. Rat's call for LaL definitely did bring about a change of focus, but what I missed when writing out my case was that temporal and emotional deterioration had largely eliminated the value that had been held by the previous Zent vs Neo focus. The key flaw though, and Rat did eventually bring this up, is that the case should have used Rat's behavior as a segue into a case against Neo, with an eventual vote for Neo. A vote for Rat was certainly pretty ridiculous there. I can't recall exactly what my thought processes were at the time, but it may have been that I wanted Alice lynched, and I feared that reopening the bandwagon against Neo would have prevented that. (oh hey I got what I wanted in the end rofl).

Also I just want to note that even Kilga and Rat both ended up voting for or supporting a townie lynch on both d1 and d2 :p. Kilga had the power to be really threatening, but I stopped worrying about him once I realized that he didn't have any desire to actually write a persuasive post. Rat was more threatening because he actually bothered to be persuasive, but he was just enough off the mark that we were able to neutralize him before he really got us into trouble.

Which brings me to a point I made a couple of games ago - the importance of writing persuasively. My case against Rat was somewhat ridiculous, but people bought it because I presented it persuasively. Kilga presented a lot of great reasoning on d2, as a confirmed townie no less, but people largely ignored him because his posts were not written in a manner which demanded the reader's attention or truly condemned his target. Indeed, Kilga's final post, which found three or four people scummy with an analysis for each, really just killed the impact of any of his individual cases. I think that Rat may have toed the border of being unduly aggressive at times, but this made other players listen to him!

In fact I had kind of been wondering how I would employ persuasion as scum. I thought it would be fun times for all. Instead I ended up squandering a good opportunity for it (early d2 Neo vs Zent) and wasted it on ridiculous late d2 stuff against Rat. Oh well. Maybe I'll use it better next time. Hopefully that won't be for a while though, townie detective work is so much more fun than scum scumminess.

ps I can't watch this MOTK EXCLUSIVE BONUS CONTENT until I get home from school :<

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #620 on: April 29, 2010, 07:10:13 PM »
Now tell us what you've learned from bofh's post. That's the most important thing ya'know.
If it's LYLO, that means that scum can force a lynch off of a single townie vote D:
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #621 on: April 29, 2010, 07:34:56 PM »
So, courtesy of Kilga and Rat (it's their idea and doing - I'm just the encoder/uploader), here is...MoTK Mafioso Mafia in a nutshell!
I totally predicted it would be that after Kilga mentioned aegisub, but still, hilarious. gj Kilga+Rat.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #622 on: April 29, 2010, 08:59:03 PM »
Kefit: I present myself the way I do because "assume scum -> find evidence" is not a valid scumhunting tactic, which is largely what speculation like "but what if this happened?" is.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #623 on: April 29, 2010, 09:19:40 PM »
"assume scum -> find evidence" is not a valid scumhunting tactic

I'll modify that to "assume one person is scum -> find evidence", because assuming everyone is scum and then finding evidence works quite well.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #624 on: April 29, 2010, 09:23:59 PM »
I'll modify that to "assume one person is scum -> find evidence", because assuming everyone is scum and then finding evidence works quite well.
inb4 Edible realizes what a good idea this sounds like and next game starts out LYLO on D1

Edible

« Reply #625 on: April 29, 2010, 09:34:15 PM »
inb4 Edible realizes what a good idea this sounds like and next game starts out LYLO on D1

I'm not pesco, jeez.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #626 on: April 29, 2010, 09:36:14 PM »
I'm not pesco, jeez.

How did you know I had a setup that put LyLo on D1?

Edible

« Reply #627 on: April 29, 2010, 09:36:50 PM »
How did you know I had a setup that put LyLo on D1?

Because I was scum in it and won.

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #628 on: April 29, 2010, 09:38:12 PM »
i once had a game go into lylo on D2, but it was because town was fucking stupid. Regardless, there WERE some glaring flaws despite the things I put in place to protect against them ^-^;

I learned from this.

Pesco

• Trickster Rabbit Tewi
« Reply #629 on: April 29, 2010, 09:39:02 PM »
Because I was scum in it and won.

I don't recall using it ???