Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 192656 times)

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #510 on: June 01, 2012, 10:05:32 AM »
Mini Hakkero Lasercut Version Front:
Outer "box" stained... and done. The only thing I could improve would be a way to "activate" the lights.... right now I have to do a bit of shaking to remove the innards, and then flip the switch, and then stuff it back in...

In the dark:

I'll probably add a bit of tape along the edge where there is a gap to prevent the light from bleeding out through there, but that's pretty much it.
and... DONE!!!!!!! Pretty much 6 months of work (off and on) from initial concept design on the version 1, to now.

PARU PARU PARU PARU.

Dear lord I want to buy this so much.

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #511 on: June 01, 2012, 11:24:09 AM »
Mini Hakkero Lasercut Version Front:
Outer "box" stained... and done. The only thing I could improve would be a way to "activate" the lights.... right now I have to do a bit of shaking to remove the innards, and then flip the switch, and then stuff it back in...

In the dark:

I'll probably add a bit of tape along the edge where there is a gap to prevent the light from bleeding out through there, but that's pretty much it.
and... DONE!!!!!!! Pretty much 6 months of work (off and on) from initial concept design on the version 1, to now.

'Hey baby, I am into you, what's your Love Sign? and can I have your number?'
and also, fantastic work.
  <-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Rockman Zero

• Class S Irregular Hunter
  • Lord of Angels
    • Angel Online
« Reply #512 on: June 04, 2012, 05:12:08 AM »
Well, I don't know why they want me to act as Koumajou Reimu more than other characters. I don't want to be a transgender.
I am the host of the purest ACG forum: Angel Online.http://www.acglms.com.cn.

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #513 on: June 04, 2012, 04:59:29 PM »
Well, I don't know why they want me to act as Koumajou Reimu more than other characters. I don't want to be a transgender.
I don't think you get what 'being a transgender' means;  I think the proper term for what you'd be doing is roleplaying.  And anyway, I think you're being way overly harsh on people about their gender before and during cosplay, and their outfits.  If you're prejudging situations like this, I don't think cosplay is going to be appropriate for you at all.

DeltaSierra4

• Behind each smile
  • is ten thousand sorrows
« Reply #514 on: June 04, 2012, 11:30:54 PM »

That's really not a good way to look at cosplaying (or crossplaying) at all man. There's a big difference in people roleplaying as anime/game characters and people wishing to change their sexes. Tbh with you, this attitude has concerned me (and somewhat frustrated me) for more than once from some of my buddies, because there has been enough pre-judging going on about crossplaying and gender orientations.
I cannot emphasize this any more - Crossplaying does not necessarily imply anything about your gender orientation.
« Last Edit: June 04, 2012, 11:49:03 PM by DeltaSierra4 »
"Times will bring that up over and over again. It's like I'm dying from my mental hemophilia... Forgetting the past is easier said than done. You know it dies hard, and when it dies, it dies with you."

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #515 on: June 05, 2012, 10:18:08 AM »
Hmm, out of curiosity, why do you have a kd reimu costume if you hate wearing it so much?

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #516 on: June 06, 2012, 04:59:33 PM »
Oh, uh...hi everyone!  Nothing too much to say yet, but...Gonna be cosplaying at Otakon as some people already know, and figured I might start getting a progress record put up here like some others do.  So, here goes!  (If I posted something about this before I forgot, so eh.)

Cosplaying as:  Youmu  (Or rather crossplaying)

Wig:  Ordered, shipped.
Materials:  All but headband, ribbon/bow, and shoes acquired
Vest:  Last I heard, 2/3rds done
Skirt:  Not started
Shirt:  Using a plain white dress shirt I already own, so DONE!
Headband:  Not started
Shoes:  Not acquired, but might be using dress shoes I own if I can't find the right kind big enough
Ribbon/Bow:  Not acquired
Swords:  Not happening this time due to scarcity of funds.

When my mom gets done the vest I'll have her take a picture so you can see how everything's progressing, so keep an eye out! 

That is...if you actually feel like it. 

Anyway, this should be interesting, being my first cosplay and all, so...First time hype get?
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

gammaraptor

• i won't depend on anyone anymore
« Reply #517 on: June 06, 2012, 09:20:11 PM »

When my mom gets done the vest I'll have her take a picture so you can see how everything's progressing, so keep an eye out! 

That is...if you actually feel like it. 

Anyway, this should be interesting, being my first cosplay and all, so...First time hype get?

Ha, your mom agreed to make a vest for you? Man, lucky.

First time hype indeed, my first cosplay was Meito Anizawa (Anime Tenchou).

Jq1790

« Reply #518 on: June 06, 2012, 10:10:00 PM »
Ha, your mom agreed to make a vest for you? Man, lucky.

First time hype indeed, my first cosplay was Meito Anizawa (Anime Tenchou).
Correction:  My mom agreed to make THE ENTIRE THING for me.  Just happens the vest is the first thing she's doing.  I'll be trying to learn to sew at some point so I can do some of this stuff myself too, but there's not really been any good time, and now it's kinda late to try learning for THIS cosplay. 

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #519 on: June 06, 2012, 10:34:30 PM »
I don't know what style you were thinking, but the headband may be easy enough to make yourself - here's a Youtube tutorial for the base part http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1mUkt8HkfY

gammaraptor

« Reply #520 on: June 06, 2012, 10:57:21 PM »
Correction:  My mom agreed to make THE ENTIRE THING for me.  Just happens the vest is the first thing she's doing.  I'll be trying to learn to sew at some point so I can do some of this stuff myself too, but there's not really been any good time, and now it's kinda late to try learning for THIS cosplay.

My sister taught me how to sew, since she had learned herself already. But I had to make my thing entirely on my own haha.

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #521 on: June 07, 2012, 09:23:30 PM »
Jq1790, Where did you order your wig from?

Jq1790

« Reply #522 on: June 07, 2012, 11:18:35 PM »
Jq1790, Where did you order your wig from?
http://www.cosplayfu.com/product/Youmu+Wig+from+Touhou+Project
Talked to Funen1 about it since I saw him having gotten one already, so I decided to just go with this.

gammaraptor

« Reply #523 on: June 08, 2012, 01:52:55 AM »
http://www.cosplayfu.com/product/Youmu+Wig+from+Touhou+Project
Talked to Funen1 about it since I saw him having gotten one already, so I decided to just go with this.

Expensive stuff, 40 USD o.o.

triangles

« Reply #524 on: June 08, 2012, 01:55:13 AM »
Good quality wigs that will last more than one wearing or don't look like garbage are kind of pricey, although if that didn't include shipping you paid too much :(

Jq1790

« Reply #525 on: June 08, 2012, 04:01:54 AM »
Good quality wigs that will last more than one wearing or don't look like garbage are kind of pricey, although if that didn't include shipping you paid too much :(
What shipping?  I didn't pay for no stinkin' shipping!

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #526 on: June 08, 2012, 05:01:50 PM »
$40 is pretty much nothing for a good wig :V

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #527 on: June 08, 2012, 05:26:12 PM »
We've got a lot of vets with recommendations for where to get the things for people who might be looking.

As long as we're on the subject of wigs, wearing one is not as simple as plopping it on your head. Be sure to look up a good procedure for keeping it there. While Youmu should be nice and simple, anyone who has worn a longer one can tell you what a bear they can be. If you aren't used to long hair, they can be uncomfortable to wear in general, though character-appropriate braids, ponytails, up-do's can help. They're also a great deal harder to pin onto your head, and can shift around a lot if you aren't careful. Not to mention that a shoulder-length wig can be bothered to tangle while a waist-length wig will tangle just by looking at it. My last 4 cosplay choices have been greatly influenced by my experience with my (otherwise beloved) KD Meiling experience.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #528 on: June 10, 2012, 06:38:43 AM »
Anyone wanna recommend a wig for an Aya Shameimaru cosplay?

My "Plan A" fell through and now I need to figure out a plan B...

triangles

« Reply #529 on: June 10, 2012, 06:41:52 PM »
Some sellers that I personally recommend are Arda Wigs and Fantasy Sheep.  The latter  is interesting as they have an eBay store, but the Taobao page (here is the list of black wigs in all sorts of lengths http://shop33868339.taobao.com/?search=y&scid=65588765 google translate works fine enough to navigate) is far more comprehensive and you can just order directly by emailing them with what you want.  The exchange rate for USD -> Yuan is in our favor so even with shipping it works out pretty good.  I also got my wigs not even 2 weeks after I ordered it which is nuts.  I am probably going to order my Otakon wig from them as soon as I pick which style I want.

Rule of thumb for wigs is if you're paying < $20 new for a wig, even if it's a bob/boy style it's probably going to be not so great (an exception would be the Fantasy Sheep place I linked, the really short wigs may come out around there) You can get pretty good deals on the cosplay.com market place too, as people are trying to unload and make room for more costumes, I got my Alice wig which is really nice for $5 shipped!

As for putting on wigs, I highly recommend seeing if someone can help you out to make sure you don't have any hair poking out and it's nice and secure, though this may not be quite as big an issue for you menfolk.  Also WEAR A WIG CAP.  This will help a whole lot with the pinning issues Reddyne mentioned, smooth out and hide your natural hair better.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #530 on: June 11, 2012, 04:46:14 PM »
I'd also like to recommend Cosplaywig on ebay. I've gotten several wigs from them and I've enjoyed all of them. They tend to strike the best balance I can find in terms of what I'm looking for in style, quality, and cost. Shipping tends to be a lot quicker than listed, too. Do give the wigs a good once-over before you purchase one, though. The last 3 wigs I've gotten from them have had a major color and highlights, which might not be exactly what you're after. Aya is a straight black-haired girl so there's no need for highlights. In my case, however, I've gotten two blonde wigs recently with white highlights. For both cases, they've been aesthetically appropriate and have helped mute the blonde, which can look WAY TOO BRIGHT YELLOW if you're not careful.

Also, Brogasa is done and thank goodness for that. What a mess that project was.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Grimarg

• B-but you haven't promoted me yet!
  • Thanks Aoshi for the avvy! :3
« Reply #531 on: June 11, 2012, 07:34:10 PM »
We've got a lot of vets with recommendations for where to get the things for people who might be looking.

As long as we're on the subject of wigs, wearing one is not as simple as plopping it on your head. Be sure to look up a good procedure for keeping it there. While Youmu should be nice and simple, anyone who has worn a longer one can tell you what a bear they can be. If you aren't used to long hair, they can be uncomfortable to wear in general, though character-appropriate braids, ponytails, up-do's can help. They're also a great deal harder to pin onto your head, and can shift around a lot if you aren't careful. Not to mention that a shoulder-length wig can be bothered to tangle while a waist-length wig will tangle just by looking at it. My last 4 cosplay choices have been greatly influenced by my experience with my (otherwise beloved) KD Meiling experience.

This, oh god this. My EirinWig (Wich used to be a MokouWig when I bought it) is such a pain to use. When I wear it, the weight of the braid keeps making it fall off my head and I need to put it back in place again. In the end I just pinned it up to the wigcap with like a bajillion hairpins. And the detangling... Every time I'm going to use it I need to spend 5+ hours of brushing and washing and de-braiding and braiding again.

But in the end it's worth it because I love the cosplay and it looks awesome.

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #532 on: June 11, 2012, 09:56:32 PM »
In case anyone was wondering how much ONE lasercut mini hakkero cost to make (parts only):
~$13.00 for 80 LEDs - technically it uses 72 leds, 9 per side http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0060FGA8A/
~ $3.00 for Resistors (total of 24 resistors of differing values)
~ $9.00 for Birch - 1/4'' Thick  (price = estimated portion used) http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=10525&site=ROCKLER
~ $2.00 for Stains (price = estimated portion used) http://www.homedepot.com/Paint-Interior-Paint-Stain-Stain-Gel-Stains/h_d1/N-5yc1vZaq1o/R-100376137/h_d2/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10053&langId=-1&storeId=10051
~$25.00 for Custom Lasercut wood (price = estimated portion used) @ Ponoko.com
~ $4.00 for four AAA battery holders. $1 each, holds two AAA batteries each http://www.ebay.com/itm/270836901529
~ $1.00 for wood glue (price = estimated portion used) http://www.walmart.com/ip/Gorilla-Glue-6205001-18-oz.-Wood-Glue/14698690
~ $1.00 for black enamel spray paint  (price = estimated portion used)

Almost 60$ for parts/supplies only. Not including labor/shipping/gas/borrowing a tablesaw and hauling it home...

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
« Reply #533 on: June 13, 2012, 09:56:35 AM »
I usually factor in what it cost at counter not portion used. chances are you'll never use it again unless it's a common item. That and it shows the capital you invested into the project. Of course it's different if you're actually doing a price quote for the material costs.

« Reply #534 on: June 13, 2012, 10:04:15 AM »
Anyone be able to tell me what sort of fabric/pattern would be best for making a Yuuka outfit?
(My knowledge of fabrics is limited to upholstery)

triangles

« Reply #535 on: June 13, 2012, 05:05:22 PM »
Oh I know all about this costume  :V

You want red gingham fabric, I was able to find it at my local fabric store since it's a common pattern for quilting/curtains.  If you look online you can choose from a variety of design sizes from 1/16" -> 1" just make sure it's not tablecloth vinyl!

As for sewing it, it'd be easiest to make an elastic waistband skirt if you are a super sewing newbie.  http://whatwouldanerdwear.blogspot.com/2010/05/lesson-plan-worlds-easiest-skirt.html  no pattern required. I also like circle skirts since they give lots of swishswish, but that requires a zipper application.

Her vest isn't fitted or have any buttons which makes life easier, as there are a few EZ SEW patterns for basic vests if you're not comfortable eyeballing the fabric and winging it.

« Reply #536 on: June 13, 2012, 06:55:26 PM »
Ooh, I didn't know I could get gingham that big.
Thank you very much for the help!

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #537 on: June 14, 2012, 11:23:16 PM »
Oh btw, if you wanted a resin slushcast (to reduce weight) copy of the tokin, you should let Zakenna know, as he'll start making them soon.
Prices differ based on the following options: (Tokin: Unpainted, matte painted, Glossy/Polished Painted)

Doesn't come with puff balls down the side. May commission those from SilentSword, as he knows how to make bigger puff balls....
« Last Edit: June 15, 2012, 11:01:04 PM by Bob64 »

cirnomodo

• Make Miracles!
  • Sanyae says hi :)
« Reply #538 on: June 16, 2012, 05:27:33 AM »
Police women Sanae.
[attach=2]

I laughed quite hard when I saw this. Are both of the cosers guys or girls?

Jq1790

« Reply #539 on: June 19, 2012, 01:43:02 AM »
Since the wig came in today, have a pic of my cosplay so far!  The skirt's gonna be next, then we can worry about the little things like the ghost wisp thing on the vest, and such.
Spoiler:
I know I forgot to shave leave me alone
[attach=1]