Author Topic: Adventures in Cosplay!  (Read 192660 times)

Bobsixtyfour

Re: Adventures in Cosplay!
« Reply #420 on: April 07, 2012, 10:07:55 PM »
I decided on the "earlier heaven" arrangement because I felt the 3 solid lines should be diagonal from the 3 broken line symbol. Thus making the opposites on each side representing the opposite of the other side....

« Reply #421 on: April 07, 2012, 10:23:45 PM »
Yeah, makes sense to me.

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #422 on: April 09, 2012, 12:04:41 AM »
Prop Update:
Mini Hakkero Standard Version Front:
Glue dried, sanded top part a bit to even it out, also started to sand the bottom and sides and prepare them for staining... (lasercut version to the left)

Mini Hakkero Lasercut Version Front:
Spraypainted the black center bits, and stained all of the brown pieces...

Sorting the parts :/

Next is to start sanding the edges a bit so they they'll fit together nicer.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 05:03:50 PM by Bob64 »

« Reply #423 on: April 09, 2012, 10:43:03 PM »
... oh, from the thumbnail I somehow thought this involved disassembling the keyboard or something, heh.

Greyn

• Microwaving, please wait.
  • Berninghousn
« Reply #424 on: April 10, 2012, 04:04:50 AM »
Now establishing a tight eating and workout regimen to get ripped and pull off a Cho-Kyoko crossplay.  Sayaka's brace yourselves.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #425 on: April 10, 2012, 04:44:29 AM »

Sorry I had to post this somewhere. :<

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #426 on: April 10, 2012, 01:13:10 PM »
Not selling em yet. Gotta perfect the lasercut version first... all I have right now is a coaster-thick design, gonna have to try and make it like 1.3 inches thick or so. May also make it hollow and then add lights to one side of it, but getting the middle section of wood to look the same as the lasercut wood is going to be tough.... Well, it really depends on what you want yours to look like.... If I only glue a top layer to a solid middle layer of wood (which may not take the stain as dark, then it'll probably be cheaper then

To give you an idea of how much I've spent so far:
Lasercutting costs:
Making $79.50
Materials $4.70
Shipping $9.27
Lasercutting Total: $93.47

Stains: 20$, amber shellac 14$, black enamel: 5$

I can get approx ~4 mini hakkeros from the lasercut wood (9 front and back pieces / 2 = 4)...  and we're looking at LEAST 33$... not including shipping or labor involved.

I want mine to be, well, high quality. I'm willing to pay any reasonable cost since I have the money, but we need to work out a way for me to pay you... I can't use my credit card till I'm 18, and I don't have paypal. So... Yeah I guess I need to mail you money. I have the cash, but no real efficient means to transport it over.

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #427 on: April 10, 2012, 02:26:26 PM »
A NEW CHALLENGER HAS ARRIVED
wow really choja

anyways, I want to cosplay as Mononabe no Futo by Anime Boston 2013 so I have a looooooot of time... probably

FIRST THINGS FIRST, ALL TOUHOUS NEED A HAT:
Easy Mode: Rubber duckie/penguin (even if I do make the eboshi I'll bring these anyways, ho ho)
Normal Mode: Futo's Eboshi
Hard Mode: Make the eboshi not look like a terrible fez with no tassel
Lunatic Mode: SHIP HATS

i guess i should be looking for what materials i want to have the outfit made out of although the outfit itself is super butt simple because it's traditional clothing of a japanese prefecture

also if i do cosplay as futo i need to make a toyosatomimi no miko x fresh prince of bel air remix and memorize the lyrics
Spoiler:
or use the lyrics sheet that triangles made

maybe i should make a fold away cardboard boat too with shoulder straps so i can push people away and annouce that i am in a boat
Spoiler:
or be silly and do those boat shoes that people make futo wear in fanart... OR BOAT PANTS AW YEAH

A lot to think about, just throwing ideas out there.

edit: guess who's good at remembering formatting (me!)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 04:34:40 PM by Nat Tea »
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

labeth

• Oh my god, it's full of carbs
« Reply #428 on: April 10, 2012, 03:35:01 PM »
Do any of you have any advice on wire gauge for wire-framed fabric-covered wings? I'm working on wings for my Gertrud from Madoka Magica costume, and I've got some 12 gauge craft wire, but it seems awfully flimsy, and I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of painting these things up and then having them get dented all to hell in the crowd at a con. Would 8 gauge be too hard to deal with?

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #429 on: April 10, 2012, 10:49:07 PM »
I want mine to be, well, high quality. I'm willing to pay any reasonable cost since I have the money, but we need to work out a way for me to pay you... I can't use my credit card till I'm 18, and I don't have paypal. So... Yeah I guess I need to mail you money. I have the cash, but no real efficient means to transport it over.
Welp, first things first, gotta get a high quality product before we talk about method of payment :)
Are ya going to Otakon?

Do any of you have any advice on wire gauge for wire-framed fabric-covered wings? I'm working on wings for my Gertrud from Madoka Magica costume, and I've got some 12 gauge craft wire, but it seems awfully flimsy, and I wouldn't want to go to the trouble of painting these things up and then having them get dented all to hell in the crowd at a con. Would 8 gauge be too hard to deal with?

I think it depends on how big your planning on making your wings. Reddyne or Silentsword is the best person to ask about wiring, since they have first-hand experience with it.

« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 10:52:45 PM by Bob64 »

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #430 on: April 10, 2012, 11:02:43 PM »

If by "craft wire" you mean the aluminum or nickel jewelry wire, I don't think it's really going to matter what gauge you use - that stuff bends under pressure, then holds the new shape.  It'll hold so long as you don't run into anyone ... or nobody runs into you ... or you don't squish it under anything else. 

At least, as long as the gauge is thick enough to support the wings in the first place.  Also bear in mind that it can only be bent so many times before it will snap in half.

When I made Ran's tails, I used 1/8" steel rods, which absorbed impacts quite nicely and did not bend.  I've also seen a Cirno use 3/16" steel rods bent into shape for the outline of her wings.  Steel is much, much tougher than jewelry wire, but it is about 3 times heavier for the same length and width of metal.  It is also much more difficult to bend back into shape if it does become damaged.
« Last Edit: April 10, 2012, 11:05:52 PM by Silentsword »
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #431 on: April 10, 2012, 11:08:16 PM »
Maybe and more maybe? This sort of thing is something that would be great for testing beforehand. I used a slightly higher gauge STEEL wire for my Rantails, but I wound up doubling up at the ends and using four times as much at the base. I might break some out and put the wing components on the wire and see how they react. It won't be precise, but it'll give you a yardstick for how much they bend. If they're not quite there, try again after wrapping two lengths of wire around each other and try that for the base.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
« Reply #432 on: April 11, 2012, 12:36:04 AM »
yo Bob I'd be willing to buy a Hakkero Kit from you. It looks like a ton of fun to put together although I'd probably just toss it in the closet of model stuff anyway since I just like hoarding model kits lmao
« Last Edit: April 11, 2012, 12:37:36 AM by Pop Star »

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #433 on: April 11, 2012, 10:43:17 PM »
Prop Update:
Stained the sides

@Zak, i hope your not wanting a kit of the standard version, because even if I were to offer one, that would involves a ton of sanding because my tablesaw sucks so bad :S

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
« Reply #434 on: April 11, 2012, 11:11:33 PM »
nah the laser cut version.  It's perfect for what I wanted to do with it. which was make a mini-hakkero music box. The laser cut version would make the lid

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #435 on: April 12, 2012, 05:56:56 AM »
Welp, first things first, gotta get a high quality product before we talk about method of payment :)
Are ya going to Otakon?

I have no means of going to any con anywhere besides in Singapore. Since I live there. :V. Isn't that sad?

[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

labeth

• Oh my god, it's full of carbs
« Reply #436 on: April 12, 2012, 02:33:42 PM »
Maybe and more maybe? This sort of thing is something that would be great for testing beforehand. I used a slightly higher gauge STEEL wire for my Rantails, but I wound up doubling up at the ends and using four times as much at the base. I might break some out and put the wing components on the wire and see how they react. It won't be precise, but it'll give you a yardstick for how much they bend. If they're not quite there, try again after wrapping two lengths of wire around each other and try that for the base.

I did a little "stress testing" the other night, (by which I mean I strapped the side I had done to my back, walked up to my husband and said "PUNCH MY WINGS!") I was right-- it bent out of shape immediately. What I ended up doing last night was braiding two extra lengths of the wire (so there are 3 total) around the existing shape like this:

It's definitely a lot more sturdy now. It could still probably get bent up if someone hit it hard enough, but the structure of the fabric might also help to keep it in shape when I get that attached.

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #437 on: April 12, 2012, 02:50:58 PM »
I have no means of going to any con anywhere besides in Singapore. Since I live there. :V. Isn't that sad?

Ouch. That adds complexity to the whole thing :/ We can both get screwed if anything gets lost in the mail. How would u convert from SGD to USD anyway?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 10:40:36 PM by Bob64 »

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #438 on: April 13, 2012, 06:07:44 PM »
USD = 1.10~1.20 SGD.

But yeaaaah. What do?

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #439 on: April 14, 2012, 07:49:19 AM »
Oh, for some reason I thought you were going to a bank and exchanging sgd for usd there.

Masking the other side and staining that...

Aya Skirt Front:
Heh... finally got off my ass and figured out how to do ruffles better.

Game of Skirts... Behold, an iron throne skirt... gotta be careful how I sit upon it...

« Last Edit: April 15, 2012, 11:00:18 AM by Bob64 »

♛ Apher-Forte

• Am I to go home...or shall I stay alone?
  • Forever lost at sea, a distant bell rings for me
    • Himitsu's NSFW Blog ~ contains NSFW material
« Reply #440 on: April 15, 2012, 09:08:37 AM »
At this point I must say I am utterly impressed by the effort, guys.

-----

another cosplay event at Penang is coming up and it is stretching out to about 2 weeks long with next week there is another heading about the walkabout event. the event will be held some 1-5pm depending on the stamina of the cosplayers.

<-- my artwork thread, click me!
[ Find my cosplay photos here. ] OMG I HAVE TUMBLR FOLLOW PLZX Will You Remember Me... ?

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #441 on: April 16, 2012, 03:23:39 AM »
And almost finished!! (not clearcoated with shellac yet)

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #442 on: April 16, 2012, 04:38:41 AM »
There's that minor issue with the shaded portions not matching up correctly, but otherwise that looks absurdly sexy.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #443 on: April 16, 2012, 05:01:10 AM »
oh, if your referring to the white part protruding a bit further in the front image, then that's by design. (and made the prop a ton more complicated then if i made it all flat)... if your referring to the coloring... then alas, the wood i used for the standard version is a fickle beast... and shall be overcome in the lasercut version.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2012, 07:03:55 AM by Bob64 »

Reimu Cosplay Help
« Reply #444 on: April 17, 2012, 09:01:20 PM »
Hello. I am trying to make my own costume for my very first cosplay, hopefully before AX2012 ^^. Where else would be the best place to ask about shrine maiden stuff? =P This is coincidently my first post as well lol. I wanted to ask if anyone have any advice for making a Reimu Hakurei costume? More specifically her sleeves and her zig zag pattern, like the pattern on the bow on her head.

What would be the best way in dealing with red ribbon on the edge of Reimu's white sleeves? The ribbon that goes in and out through holes.

What would be a permanent and moderately easy or fast way to get those zig zag patterns?

If anyone had experience with Reimu cosplay, what material did you use? I am experimenting here and there.

But yeah, any advice about anything with Reimu's costume would be much appreciative lol.

Moe Moe Kyun~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #445 on: April 18, 2012, 04:55:22 AM »
For the ribbons, you basically sew buttonholes the width of the ribbons on the sleeves, wherever you want the ribbon to enter/exit the sleeve.  As for the zig-zagging, you can embroider it on with white thread, or see if your sewing machine has an embroidery stitch that matches.

« Reply #446 on: April 18, 2012, 07:26:05 AM »
For the ribbons, you basically sew buttonholes the width of the ribbons on the sleeves, wherever you want the ribbon to enter/exit the sleeve.  As for the zig-zagging, you can embroider it on with white thread, or see if your sewing machine has an embroidery stitch that matches.

I guess it would help if I used fabric that does not stretch much to make button holes? Button holes on stretchy fabric is unforgiving, especially when you have to make like 16 or so holes lol. One hole messing up might ruin the entire sleeve. I shall try.

Nah, I dont have embroidering capabilities on my machine or my mom's machine, which is quite unfortunate =s.

btw, is it really your birthday? =p

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #447 on: April 19, 2012, 03:54:48 AM »
Stretchy fabric is really not recommended, and I'm not entirely sure where it'd be appropriate on a Reimu outfit.  Just use some basic but durable material, like cotton or so.  Experiment a bit making button holes on scrap fabric to get the size right, if your machine won't do them automatically.

Anyway, yeah it was, ahahaha.

« Reply #448 on: April 21, 2012, 12:04:17 AM »
pain in the butt to get all perfect buttholes XD... roar.

Bobsixtyfour

« Reply #449 on: April 21, 2012, 08:41:07 AM »
Aya Skirt Front:
Started doing the buttonholes for the ribbon.... 25/51 complete.