Author Topic: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!  (Read 128901 times)

Re: Periodic Touhou Tournament!
« Reply #150 on: February 05, 2011, 04:06:49 PM »
EDIT: Hey Naut, could you please scold me for being so horrible at MoF all of a sudden.

Hard to scold somebody who improves so much in so little time. Congrats on breaking 1 billion!

EDIT 2: Just saw Naut's replay and thought i wanted to congratulate him on it. 1.4 mil - I cannot compete with that! I want someone other than me and Sapz (we suck in unison :]) who sucks to set a score higher than 700M so i have a realistic chance of beating it. :V

Ah thank ya -- but don't count yourself out so soon! With the improvements you've been making, I'd say you still have a good chance :)

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #151 on: February 05, 2011, 05:27:02 PM »
Just some input. The top scores don't really prevent me from wanting to post mine. Im just not posting many cuz I'm having an official touhou shmup slump this week. I mean it's not how mine fare to others. But I hate posting stuff worse than what I normally make a ragequit when I'm playing for fun.

Though it might be my new monitor screwing up my play....

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #152 on: February 06, 2011, 07:04:59 AM »
Btw. i assume the submission deadline is the Sunday of the given week or what?
The submission deadline is when I wake up and close it on Monday. Last minute scores are cool beans. :V
Let's fight.

« Reply #153 on: February 06, 2011, 08:38:10 AM »
The submission deadline is when I wake up and close it on Monday. Last minute scores are cool beans. :V

Thanks for that clarification. Some random time this monday it is. :)

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #154 on: February 06, 2011, 08:53:19 AM »
Ah crap, I'm pretty much all at work or asleep until this tournament ends D:
Spoiler:
I'm at work right now too!

I... I might end up submitting a couple scores slightly late.  Not that they'll be game breakers or anything, but I plan to play some at work tomorrow - and if I don't have an internet connection (It's sporadic at best!), I won't have the ability to upload the replays or post the scores until just after Sapz will wake up, probably D:

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #155 on: February 06, 2011, 11:56:32 PM »
Thanks for that clarification. Some random time this monday it is. :)
Looking at my new timetable... we'll call it 1PM, GMT. :V That's the submission deadline, people.
Let's fight.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #156 on: February 07, 2011, 02:29:55 PM »
So, um, what's Ebarrett's ??? score supposed to be?

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #157 on: February 07, 2011, 02:37:16 PM »
>Get home from work
>Scoring topic is locked

WELP.  It's a good thing I enjoy being in last place 8D

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #158 on: February 07, 2011, 02:39:26 PM »
>Get home from work
>Scoring topic is locked

WELP.  It's a good thing I enjoy being in last place 8D

Well, I am below you in one or two categories :P

Unlike you, I'm rather upset at failing at Touhou. Sooooo, yeah.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #159 on: February 07, 2011, 02:41:07 PM »
Well, I am below you in one or two categories :P

Unlike you, I'm rather upset at failing at Touhou. Sooooo, yeah.
The most important question is: Did you do better than you think you'd do?  And I'm not talking about in comparison; just in relation to you.

Because if you did, you were successful.  I know I'm terrible at scoring, but running headfirst into MoF Lunatic finally turned out to be the perfect way to warm up for a Hard 1cc.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 02:49:18 PM by Garlyle »

« Reply #160 on: February 07, 2011, 02:45:52 PM »
I would almost feel bad about my placements, but it's kind of hard to knowing the people around here.  So many strong Touhou players!  I had fun (excluding stage 1 fly-into-random-fairy deaths) though, and that's what counts =).  Also gave me a bit of an idea on how to tackle MoF Lunatic, so my I may work on that more as well.

Drake

« Reply #161 on: February 07, 2011, 02:48:04 PM »
I know I could have gotten that second place spot if I had managed to get to Stage 3 even half the time. Damn it argh. In practice I can perfect 3 and 4, sometimes 5 and usually 6 (provided well-timed border) until Resurrection.

I restarted 200 times within the week. ~90% of that was taken up by Stage 1 and 2 fuckups. Near the end it became a real chore to go through Stage 1 and 2 over and over and over again, only to ram something or whatever.

asfalksfljkldjfkgdfkndskad

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #162 on: February 07, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
I restarted 200 times within the week. ~90% of that was taken up by Stage 1 and 2 fuckups. Near the end it became a real chore to go through Stage 1 and 2 over and over and over again, only to ram something or whatever.
Tell me about it. That's the reason I didn't take this as far as I planned to. I probably could have gotten to the Prismrivers within that week if I actually spent more time on Alice, but I spent most of my time dying before Stage 3 instead and grew fed up with it. Who knows if I'll continue working on this NDNB PCB concept in my spare time.

Anyway, this was still a successful tournament as far as I'm concerned. I'm anxious to see what the next challenges will be.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Drake

« Reply #163 on: February 07, 2011, 03:16:06 PM »
The problem with Stage 1 and 2 is that they're so boring and trivial outside of Kimontonkou that even if you're trying to pay the utmost attention, you won't be physically and mentally challenged as much as in the later stages and your performance goes down accordingly.

I'll be continuing this, though. I'm just upset I didn't even kick out Alice.

« Reply #164 on: February 07, 2011, 03:37:07 PM »
Near the end it became a real chore to go through Stage 1 and 2 over and over and over again

Stop throwing away garba--
Survival Challenge, perfect runs only

Survival challenges ::)

Can't wait for February 14. Fuck chocolates, I need my Touhou scoring competition fix. In the meantime, if anybody is interested, the Shooter of the Week is going on in Akyu's Arcade now (since the Touhou challenges and SotW will alternate weeks). It's a great chance to play shmups other than Touhou. Discussion on the SotW goes in the shootan gaymz thread. Come play.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #165 on: February 07, 2011, 05:04:30 PM »
Now to play Batsugun. Hooray!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #166 on: February 07, 2011, 08:36:31 PM »
The most important question is: Did you do better than you think you'd do?  And I'm not talking about in comparison; just in relation to you.

Because if you did, you were successful.  I know I'm terrible at scoring, but running headfirst into MoF Lunatic finally turned out to be the perfect way to warm up for a Hard 1cc.

Better than I thought on MoF Easy, horrible everywhere else.
I very well didn't expect to break 600 million points, but I suppose that means that I can vie for 700 now.
I've never actually scored over a billion on a game that isn't Imperishable Night, so we'll see.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #167 on: February 07, 2011, 08:52:22 PM »
In the meantime, if anybody is interested, the Shooter of the Week is going on in Akyu's Arcade now (since the Touhou challenges and SotW will alternate weeks). It's a great chance to play shmups other than Touhou. Discussion on the SotW goes in the shootan gaymz thread. Come play.
This. If you guys enjoyed the Touhou Tournament, come join in with SotW! It's a similar kind of deal in a different game, either an old arcade shmup or a non-Touhou doujin. This week's is Batsugun Special, an upgraded version of Batsugun, which is arguably the first ever bullet hell shmup. It's awesome fun times. :V

Also, if you want your Mountain of Faith scores on the main scoreboard, submit them there! Go go go!
Let's fight.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #168 on: February 07, 2011, 09:20:21 PM »
Also, if you want your Mountain of Faith scores on the main scoreboard, submit them there! Go go go!

Please! I'll be right back (10 minutes). I still need to upload 2 more entries! By the way, can we also upload for the special challenge?
I will update this post when ready.

EDIT:
Scoring Challenge
Easy
Paper_Conan - 849,097,290 - C - Replay (No miss, no bomb)

Special Challenge
Easy
Paper_Conan - 528,091,560 - Stage 6 Boss Spell 5 - Replay

Special Challenge
Lunatic
Paper_Conan - 51,483,110 - Stage 2 Boss Spell 3 - Replay
« Last Edit: February 07, 2011, 10:12:31 PM by Paper_Conan »

Drake

« Reply #169 on: February 07, 2011, 11:49:34 PM »
Kinda late there brah. Contest ended 10 hours ago.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #170 on: February 07, 2011, 11:54:26 PM »
Yeah, I kind of meant here in the MoF scoreboards. :V Entries for the tournament are closed, but feel free to submit your scores there.
Let's fight.

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #171 on: February 08, 2011, 12:02:25 AM »
Aww, k  :V
I was planning to upload yesterday but I got busy, and then there was school sooo.....

Well, whatever. Next time I'll do better~ >:(

« Reply #172 on: February 08, 2011, 12:15:09 AM »
I just wanted to say thanks for running these.  This first week was a lot of fun.  My submission ended on a low note, but I'm happy with how things turned out this week - I basically went from knowing nothing about MoF to being able to get a decent score.

That being said, I don't ever want to touch MoF again for at least half-a-year.

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #173 on: February 08, 2011, 12:23:22 AM »
I missed the deadline for submitting my score but it was a nice challenge (Kept messing up Stages 1-3 in PCB which made me restart)

I'm looking forward to the next challenge...assuming I don't have much to do

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

DDRMANIAC007

• The DDR Maniac
  • Dance Dance Revolution
    • The Touhou stream blog
« Reply #174 on: February 08, 2011, 03:57:26 PM »
When I revive the Touhou stream channel that I run, maybe we should also do some sort of regular tourney.

marukyuu

• "Why always ATAI?"
  • The strongest striker...?
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2011, 05:27:44 PM »
Great tournament. It's been loads of fun. Too bad I couldn't make more improvements on Normal and a decent run on Easy.
Anyway, now I'm confident I can 1cc PCB with Marisa on Normal, which is a good thing considering that I have yet to succeed in such a feat.
Thanks to Sapz for bringing up the idea and to everyone else for making my runs look miserable this tourney a blast to compete in.
I might pop up again, but not for the next tourney because of IRL stuff keeping me too busy to play Touhou :V
<-- Sig by Suikama

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #176 on: February 09, 2011, 01:32:27 AM »
Haha, I don't really deserve credit for the original idea, moozooh ran the first one way back. :V Awesome to see you guys enjoyed it though, it's a pleasure to run them.
Let's fight.

« Reply #177 on: February 09, 2011, 04:15:29 AM »
next time people could share their experiences during the playing week so that I don't do even more clueless, half-baked, blind last minute runs :(

(preparing to punch whoever tells me that replays count as "experience" >________________< really, I'm the type of person that can learn from Battle Garegga guides faster than watching my own replays :p)

small bonus
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #178 on: February 09, 2011, 06:53:27 AM »
I don't have a problem watching or learning from my own replays. Although, I don't save replays often...

My problem is that I avoid watching other people's replays. I know it is beneficial and even entertaining, but I don't want to learn how to play a game like someone else. Rather, I don't want to end up copying another person's play style.

Is it a slower and more painful journey to a Lunatic 1cc? HELL YES.  But I think the victory will be worth it.... some day.

I enjoyed this week's tournament. It broke me out of my SA/UFO grindfest. Looking forward to next time!

« Reply #179 on: February 09, 2011, 10:59:22 AM »
I would share more of my experiences but since 95% of it consists about raging, bitching and moaning about me now living up to my own expectations!