Author Topic: Periodic Touhou Tournament (Discussion Thread)!  (Read 128916 times)

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
Re: Periodic Touhou Tournament!
« Reply #180 on: February 09, 2011, 05:18:53 PM »
My problem is that I avoid watching other people's replays. I know it is beneficial and even entertaining, but I don't want to learn how to play a game like someone else. Rather, I don't want to end up copying another person's play style.
A lot of the time, watching replays is done more to see what the general "trick" behind an attack is. Often times this trick will be the only way through it, so you shouldn't feel any shame tackling said attack the same way as everyone else, because you will usually fail otherwise. In addition, this idea of a "trick" is completely separate from the minuscule motions you tend to make when "dodging" something (reading and reacting to something that is random or that you aren't familiar with). I guarantee you'll develop your own "style" as you play through these games, no matter which replays you watch for assistance. Watching a superplay is a little bit different, yet it's not really. Here you will be copying most, if not all, of the motions made, but this is perfectly acceptable since, when you think about it, there is literally only one "path" to getting the highest score possible, and there's usually no use trying to find a better path yourself (because there usually isn't one).
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #181 on: February 10, 2011, 12:34:08 AM »
sharing experiences would be good for avoiding getting cornered due to not knowing or remembering about a stage section (for example, if the PCB survival challenge were to happen again but in EoSD, I could see people having trouble mostly on stage 4, or against Meiling's spiraling kunai nonspell). In the case of MoF, it could help me decide to not bomb on stage 4 (for example) and have spare bombs to help defend a life and thus avoid losing faith by dying. People can plan their bombs with enough repetition, but this time I was clueless, and improvising didn't work.

I'd suggest that, when posting replays (during a tournament like this -- of course, when there are teams involved, or when there's a prize at stake, the people with the best results wouldn't give such information, which is understandable), please try to comment what were your thoughts on the run. For example, if someone else gets to know, through you, that you had an easy time getting past a certain stage or boss, or that you scored as much as you wanted to on a stage or boss fight, he/she may want to see what you did and how.

I would share more of my experiences but since 95% of it consists about raging, bitching and moaning about me now living up to my own expectations!

If you're trying to improve, then don't think about avoiding defeats (unless you really don't like the gameplay, for example). Accept them as part of your learning process, and watch your progress more than pay for it :D

I don't have a problem watching or learning from my own replays. Although, I don't save replays often...

My problem is that I avoid watching other people's replays. I know it is beneficial and even entertaining, but I don't want to learn how to play a game like someone else. Rather, I don't want to end up copying another person's play style.

Is it a slower and more painful journey to a Lunatic 1cc? HELL YES.  But I think the victory will be worth it.... some day.

I enjoyed this week's tournament. It broke me out of my SA/UFO grindfest. Looking forward to next time!

While I agree that trying to find your own way is fun as well (in its own way), like assembling the pieces of a puzzle, there's really no shame in using someone else's knowledge or discovery, as what's more important is (in this situation) how *well* you use that knowledge and many others you've found on your way. Being the first to discover something has no relation with being a better user (or even improver) of that something, that would be like limiting oneself to not replicate the weapons that other people have made :p (once again, the process of crafting said weapon yourself for the purpose of a 1cc, for example, is fun too, in a different way)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #182 on: February 10, 2011, 01:49:06 AM »
Please don't do another No Miss No Bomb thing. No Bomb is fine. But I'd rather keep No Miss out of them. If it weren't for that suicide rule, that would have easily been a No Bombs 1cc.

Also, hopefully next time we get some of the less used shottypes.
« Last Edit: February 10, 2011, 01:51:05 AM by Phoenixma »

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
  • you'll thank me for the cropping later
« Reply #183 on: February 10, 2011, 02:17:01 AM »
I wouldn't mind a UFO Special Challenge :eyebrowraise:

also scorerun PCB
Do it do it do it do it do it

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #184 on: February 10, 2011, 02:30:06 AM »
I'm pretty much the opposite of Enigma here. I don't mind having NDNB challenges. I'd rather not see another one of those for PCB though (obviously way down the road), as the borders make it potentially too doable (never mind that only Heartbeam got clears on Hard and Lunatic). Playing with even fewer opportunities to cheese things (beyond things like safespots and such) might leave chances for people to showcase dodging as many of the hard patterns as possible, a true survival challenge. Just my take on it, Sapz can do what he wants.

* Warning - while you were typing a new reply has been posted. You may wish to review your post. *

Thanatoaster got me thinking. No UFO challenge gogogo. :V
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Garlyle

• I can't brain today
  • I have the dumb
    • Tormod Plays Games
« Reply #185 on: February 10, 2011, 03:10:32 AM »
Thanatoaster got me thinking. No UFO challenge gogogo. :V
...That could be interesting.

« Reply #186 on: February 10, 2011, 03:59:38 AM »
If a no UFO route ever gets considered for a special challenge, I'd like to request it be no UFO and no bomb. Not that I think UFO would get considered soon anyway :<

« Reply #187 on: February 10, 2011, 05:04:10 AM »
Lol I dont watch replays unless my friends have something to recommend.

No UFO sounds... awesome. It will ask for a completely new playstyle from me.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #188 on: February 10, 2011, 05:27:19 AM »
Lol I dont watch replays unless my friends have something to recommend.
I would recommend watching any replays with a significantly higher score than your best. You are liable to learn a lot. :V

No UFOs and no bombs sounds... interesting.
Let's fight.

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #189 on: February 10, 2011, 09:18:12 AM »
I hate UFO...because of the UFOs... that sounds interesting to me too. Though since I never play it I'll suck anyway >=p

« Reply #190 on: February 10, 2011, 09:39:08 AM »
It would be hard to resist the UFOs in a no-UFO run. I'm quite spoiled by the little buggers.

But I'll take a stab at whatever challenge you cook up, Sapz. Bring it on.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #191 on: February 10, 2011, 05:40:30 PM »
hmm I've got another idea

LOW SCORING CHALLENGE:
Imperishable Night

you know how fucking everything gives you points in IN?
Welllll... don't do it!
And clear the game!

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
« Reply #192 on: February 10, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »
hmm I've got another idea

LOW SCORING CHALLENGE:
Imperishable Night

Welllll... don't do it!
And clear the game!

OH GOD THE GRAZE..... FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU-

Anyways, the no UFO thing sounds really fun (so now there's no reason to commit suicide :V), but isn't like the borders in PCB?
Half of me wants a no UFO/ no bomb run, but the other half is crying to not play UFO  :ohdear:

« Reply #193 on: February 10, 2011, 06:25:53 PM »
No UFOs would at least see me playing Extra. No UFOs No Bombs means I'm not even loading up UFO that week.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
« Reply #194 on: February 10, 2011, 07:39:59 PM »
Welllll... don't do it!
And clear the game!
I can see this turning into pacifist runs real fast. Though it would be interesting seeing people try to balance the Point Extends to even get past the later stages.

No UFOs would at least see me playing Extra. No UFOs No Bombs means I'm not even loading up UFO that week.
Not even Extra for the latter? :ohdear:

Drake

« Reply #195 on: February 10, 2011, 08:49:10 PM »
Only thing is that even no-UFO in Extra is pretty easy. No-bombs will be harder, but you'll still see clears for sure.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #196 on: February 11, 2011, 02:52:08 AM »
I really do not want to see anything UFO, that game is just... Ugh.

No focus EoSD Marisa or IN Youmu anyone?

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #197 on: February 11, 2011, 12:57:43 PM »
No Ice GFW. Pacifist PCB Extra (oh god 45 seconds of chen's nonspell). Graze and no graze runs of SA. Scoreruns on Double Spoiler (ha ha ha!). All-focus runs on any game.

I don't know what else could qualify...

Jaimers

• You just did it because you're older than me.
« Reply #198 on: February 11, 2011, 04:04:51 PM »
Sakuya Solo/ Alice Solo shenanigans?

Maybe PoFV endurance runs where you cannot use spells?

StB/ DS no focus runs?
« Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 04:08:05 PM by Jaimers »

« Reply #199 on: February 11, 2011, 05:10:57 PM »
What about a no UFO summoning-yet collect all the UFO tokens challenge? Once you let one go off screen you lose. I guess planning ahead becomes an issue for some parts, well for stage 6 you'd really want to have 2 blue or 2 red from before, so you can pick up 2 green and stay around the last one so it doesn't fly away. Maybe it's too complicated and prone to cheesing?

SA ReimuA only vertical and horizontal-to-the-left movement challenge? I haven't given this much thought so maybe it isn't a good idea.
"you never know, you may have the best strats in the world" - Zil

Immortal Momiji!

Polttopallo

• /人◕ ‿‿ ◕ 人\
« Reply #200 on: February 11, 2011, 08:24:04 PM »
Sakuya Solo/ Alice Solo shenanigans?

Maybe PoFV endurance runs where you cannot use spells?

StB/ DS no focus runs?

I like those challenges, but StB/DS no focus sounds a bit scary..

Drake

« Reply #201 on: February 11, 2011, 08:55:15 PM »
Pacifist PCB Extra (oh god 45 seconds of chen's nonspell)
Nono, you have it backwards. Her nonspell is the easy part; it's easily controllable and essentially becomes static. Blue Oni Red Oni becomes a goddamn massacre and Bishamonten goes really really really fast.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #202 on: February 11, 2011, 10:56:34 PM »
That, too.
I remember trying to pacifist PCB Extra, and failing miserably.
ROBO would got faster and faster and faster until how the fuck do you dodge all of this shit
I ended up dying on the last two seconds of Soaring Guardian God, which just pissed me off. I nearly capped it.

« Reply #203 on: February 12, 2011, 06:59:33 PM »
If you're trying to improve, then don't think about avoiding defeats (unless you really don't like the gameplay, for example). Accept them as part of your learning process, and watch your progress more than pay for it :D

Its just for your guys sake. :) Nobody would want to listen to me complain just because i don't live up to my own expectations. I'm not avoid defeats. I get plenty of those. I just hide them from the internets to the best of my ability.

LOW SCORING CHALLENGE:
Imperishable Night

Bad idea  :V

« Reply #204 on: February 13, 2011, 01:38:13 AM »
Low score actually sounds kinda cool.  Pacifist no focus bosses?  Fuck yeah!  Bombing easy spellcards to lower scores?  Hell yes!

Sakuya Solo low score IN go!

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #205 on: February 13, 2011, 02:19:33 AM »
Mmm, but limiting the available shottypes to solos also limits the number of players capable of playing.
I haven't unlocked solos, because I've only cleared with 2 1/2 teams (2 clears and 1 Final A).
Why not also have a designated team?

« Reply #206 on: February 13, 2011, 05:04:06 AM »
Mmm, but limiting the available shottypes to solos also limits the number of players capable of playing.
I haven't unlocked solos, because I've only cleared with 2 1/2 teams (2 clears and 1 Final A).
Why not also have a designated team?
That's true enough I guess.  Hopefully it isn't Reimukari though, they're way too overused.

チソウ タイゼン

• tarzan cheetos
« Reply #207 on: February 13, 2011, 04:56:31 PM »
I'm totally fine as long as it's not the Nether team.
I can't aim Myon worth a shit.

Byaaakuren

• Youkai Jesus, Queen of the Monks
    • Animu List
« Reply #208 on: February 13, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
Why not have a Devil team challenge, then?  The player can decide whether to enter solo or as both.

I thank my friend for the sig <3
My noob replays :V
Tumblr (I post NSFW stuff there)

« Reply #209 on: February 14, 2011, 07:59:52 AM »
Low score actually sounds kinda cool.  Pacifist no focus bosses?  Fuck yeah!  Bombing easy spellcards to lower scores?  Hell yes!

Wait whut? Why pacifist no-focus bosses? To avoid time orbs? I don't think i would be able to 1cc in that manner... But. If somebody manages it would make for an interesting watch i'm sure. Okay. The idea is cool enough i guess.