Author Topic: Maribel Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 80129 times)

Re: Maribel Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #540 on: August 02, 2010, 03:59:29 PM »
>"Ah, hello. I'm looking for Byakuren Hijiri. Am I in the right place?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #541 on: August 02, 2010, 04:19:33 PM »
>"Ah, hello. I'm looking for Byakuren Hijiri. Am I in the right place?"

>She nods. "What do you need with her? She's a little busy at the moment"

>_

« Reply #542 on: August 02, 2010, 04:22:27 PM »
>"Oh, is she? Well, you see, I'm a newcomer to Gensokyo, and Keine suggested that it might be a good idea to talk to her."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #543 on: August 02, 2010, 04:30:12 PM »
>"Oh, is she? Well, you see, I'm a newcomer to Gensokyo, and Keine suggested that it might be a good idea to talk to her."

>"Is that so?" says the hooded woman. "Well, I believe she'll make a little time for you, then. Just a moment."
>She steps back behind the current, and you hear some quiet talking. Then you hear some heavy footsteps approaching. The curtain opens to reveal a huge woman, easily several feet taller than you are, with long hair that is purple near the roots and fades to brown and wearing a white dress.. Despite her largeness, she is rather pretty. She gives you a smile and says, "What can I do for you? Shall we step outside?"

>_

« Reply #544 on: August 02, 2010, 04:34:13 PM »
>"Sure. You're Byakuren, I assume? I'm Maribel."
>Follow her out
>"I'm sorry if I'm interrupting something. It looks like there's a fair bit of construction going on in there. Is that your... temple?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #545 on: August 02, 2010, 04:59:19 PM »
>"Sure. You're Byakuren, I assume? I'm Maribel."
>Follow her out
>"I'm sorry if I'm interrupting something. It looks like there's a fair bit of construction going on in there. Is that your... temple?"

>"Hello Maribel," she says as she steps outside, then has a seat beside the building, leaning back against the wall. It is a little distressing to be around someone who can sit down and still look you in the eyes.
>"We're getting it fixed up, but yes, it is. We had been saving for a long time to get the materials."

>_

« Reply #546 on: August 02, 2010, 05:10:58 PM »
>"Ah, I see. Well, as you probably heard, I'm new to Gensokyo. I just woke up in the Palace of the Earth Spirits earlier today, and managed to make my way here."
>"This is probably going to sound a little silly. Well, I feel a little silly asking it, anyway, but I was wondering if you might be able to see if I have any magical potential in me. Keine said you'd be a good person to talk to about that."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #547 on: August 02, 2010, 05:20:31 PM »
>"Ah, I see. Well, as you probably heard, I'm new to Gensokyo. I just woke up in the Palace of the Earth Spirits earlier today, and managed to make my way here."
>"This is probably going to sound a little silly. Well, I feel a little silly asking it, anyway, but I was wondering if you might be able to see if I have any magical potential in me. Keine said you'd be a good person to talk to about that."

>"So, you are from outside, somewhere?" She asks. "And no, it shouldn't be a problem. Do not feel bad for asking. May I have your hands?"

>_

« Reply #548 on: August 02, 2010, 05:21:46 PM »
>"Sure."
>Do as she says

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #549 on: August 02, 2010, 05:37:46 PM »
>"Sure."
>Do as she says

>You offer her your hands, and she takes them into her own. Seeing your hands engulfed in hers, you are reminded of some of holding your mother's hands, back when you were a small child.
>"This may prickle a bit," she says softly. "But it shouldn't be too bad."
>Byakuren closes her eyes, and begins to speak softly, too much so for you to hear. A sort of electric sensation runs along your skin, feeling uncomfortably like having too much static electricity around you. It's a little difficult not to squirm and try to get rid of it, but you keep yourself still lest you ruin whatever she is doing.
>"Hmm, I think you do," she says, as she lets go of your hands. "I think you have a fair deal, in fact."

>_

« Reply #550 on: August 02, 2010, 05:42:03 PM »
>"Really?"
>Internally squee with excitement
>"Do you think you could teach me how to do something with it? Magic isn't something that most people where I came from believe even exists. I'd have no idea where to start."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #551 on: August 02, 2010, 06:43:16 PM »
>"Really?"
>Internally squee with excitement
>"Do you think you could teach me how to do something with it? Magic isn't something that most people where I came from believe even exists. I'd have no idea where to start."

>She nods, and smiles as you try to contain your excitement, and presumably fail.
>"I may," she says, "But, you must understand a few things about magic, first. I will assume you already understand it is not a toy. But you must not be careless with it. It is very possible for you to hurt yourself, others, or the world around you if you use it carelessly. I expect you have no intentions of such, but be warned regardless. In particular, do not try to exceed yourself. That runs a very grave risk of incurring those consequences. That said, I understand there are times when you may have to. As well, do not drink too greedily from it, or you may become a youkai. Do you understand what this means?"

>_

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #552 on: August 02, 2010, 06:54:53 PM »
> "Um... I know that becoming a youkai means no longer being human, but I'm not sure I'm aware of any other specific consequences of it. Is it mind-altering somehow?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #553 on: August 02, 2010, 07:07:08 PM »
> "Um... I know that becoming a youkai means no longer being human, but I'm not sure I'm aware of any other specific consequences of it. Is it mind-altering somehow?"

>She nods. "It means just that. The act of becoming isn't an innately bad thing, though in times past it was seen that way. But, if you must, think of it as akin to making love to someone. The act itself isn't bad and doesn't mean that you are no longer yourself. But the ramifications and feelings incurred from it may change you. In the old days, you would be shunned for it, if not hated, but this seems not to be true anymore. Even then, it will remain a stigma on your soul that you rescinded who you are, be it for power. dissatisfaction, obsession, or any of the other myriad reasons. You will incur suspicion for it. It is only natural, I am afraid. In your particular case, it will make it much harder for you to leave Gensokyo, as well. It is a place for youkai. Worst of all, it will incur a karmic debt that must be paid, if not in this life, then in another. To rescind one's birth is to turn one's back on karma."
>She smiles and pats your shoulder. "But, it isn't all doom and gloom. Even though it will harm your karma, that can be repaid. It may change who you are, or it may not. That depends on the strength of your soul. You will be regarded with suspicion, but this can be overcome. You may well decide it is what you want to be for whatever reason touches you. If nothing else, I'd like to feel I have overcome most of the trials involved."

>_

« Reply #554 on: August 02, 2010, 07:12:30 PM »
>"You think you have... So, did this happen to you, then? Would it be impolite of me to ask what it was like, for you? How it feels different to be a youkai than a human? And is this a... common side effect?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #555 on: August 02, 2010, 07:25:45 PM »
>"You think you have... So, did this happen to you, then? Would it be impolite of me to ask what it was like, for you? How it feels different to be a youkai than a human? And is this a... common side effect?"

>She nods. "Some may consider it a little rude, but I don't mind if you ask. For me, it was...sobering, in some ways. I rejected my humanity out of fear of death, and sought power out of desire to help the world. I didn't quite realize it at the time, I was also quite disgusted with my fellow people as well.I think, in the end, it helped me see that I had a great deal of my pride involved in the process as well. It...doesn't feel different, exactly, aside from the obvious. But I think it also depends on an individual's circumstances. As for this," she gestures to herself, "It is not common at all, no. It's a side effect of some of the things I did to myself in the process." She grins. "Would you be interested in joining me?"

>_

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #556 on: August 02, 2010, 07:30:44 PM »
> "A-as a youkai? I'm... Not sure. This Gensokyo is an amazing place, to be sure, but I don't know if I can really say I don't want to go home. And that karmic debt you mentioned sounds rather intimidating. I don't think I'm ready for such a decision."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #557 on: August 02, 2010, 07:34:48 PM »
>"Ah well. I rather missed having someone I could share clothes with," she says. "As I said, karma can be repaid. But, it can be a difficult thing to do, and would likely occupy a good deal of time for you. But, in the end, such a decision would be yours. Do not worry. If you want to avoid it, you can likely stave it off for some time. That said, some people are much more prone to it than others. I wouldn't be able to tell how much you would be without some deep investigation."

>_

« Reply #558 on: August 02, 2010, 07:37:47 PM »
>"But it's still possible to practice magic, and remain human, though, right?"
>"Either way, I need to start at the beginning. What should I do, to start with?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #559 on: August 02, 2010, 08:20:03 PM »
>"But it's still possible to practice magic, and remain human, though, right?"
>"Either way, I need to start at the beginning. What should I do, to start with?"

>She nods. "It can be difficult, but it's possible and plausible.
>"Well, from what I was able to read, you seem to be rather versatile. You should be able to learn most things you apply yourself to. You seem to have a slight proclivity toward barriers, and a somewhat stronger one toward time-based magic. You're not very strong, though. With time and effort, skill may be able to overcome your lack of natural power. Or, you could try to enhance it naturally. As for where to start, I think you might be interested in learning danmaku, or perhaps flight? They're both rather basic skills."

>_

« Reply #560 on: August 02, 2010, 08:25:25 PM »
>"Absolutely! Those would both be great. I've already been involved in one danmaku fight, although it mostly just involved running and ducking at appropriate times on my part. And I want to keep exploring this place, so it would be good to be able to defend myself a little, if necessary."
>"How would I go about learning these things?"

>"And what do you mean by 'enhancing it naturally', anyway?"

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #561 on: August 02, 2010, 08:34:06 PM »
>Mental note: Mention Renko when the time is right.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #562 on: August 02, 2010, 08:43:42 PM »
>"Absolutely! Those would both be great. I've already been involved in one danmaku fight, although it mostly just involved running and ducking at appropriate times on my part. And I want to keep exploring this place, so it would be good to be able to defend myself a little, if necessary."
>"How would I go about learning these things?"

>"And what do you mean by 'enhancing it naturally', anyway?"

>"I suppose I could take the time to start you upon one or the other. I would hate to see you exploring without some means of taking care of yourself.  Which would you prefer? As for enhancing, that means expanding your natural talent, rather than refining it. It is a little difficult to do on your own. I suppose, if you were willing to prove yourself, I would be willing to assist you in such if you felt you wished to do this.

>Mental note: Mention Renko when the time is right.

>You wonder if she'd know anything?

>_

« Reply #563 on: August 02, 2010, 08:47:08 PM »
>"Well, I suppose if I had to pick one, I think I should probably start with danmaku. Flying sounds amazingly fun, but it might be best to have a way to defend myself first."

>"And prove myself how?"

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #564 on: August 02, 2010, 08:49:48 PM »
>"I'll consider it. You seem like a kind person, and you clearly know what you're doing. But right now I mostly want to be able to defend myself well enough to find my friend, Renko. We were both close to the incident that left me in this Gensokyo, and I think she might have ended up here, too. I want to at least try and find her before I make any really big decisions."
>"... although, how much do you think flight would help in getting away from a fight?"
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #565 on: August 02, 2010, 08:57:34 PM »
>"Well, I suppose if I had to pick one, I think I should probably start with danmaku. Flying sounds amazingly fun, but it might be best to have a way to defend myself first."

>"And prove myself how?"

>She nods. "Alright. I can show you the very basics, at least."
>"I would have you undergo a test, to show me you wouldn't be planning to misuse such a gift.  As well, I would need you to gather up a few components for me.

>"I'll consider it. You seem like a kind person, and you clearly know what you're doing. But right now I mostly want to be able to defend myself well enough to find my friend, Renko. We were both close to the incident that left me in this Gensokyo, and I think she might have ended up here, too. I want to at least try and find her before I make any really big decisions."
>"... although, how much do you think flight would help in getting away from a fight?"

>Byakuren nods. "It is your choice. I just wish for you to make them without undue stress or misinformation."
>"It is more effective than running on foot. But a determined foe will likely try to chase you. Still, it will give you a vast array of defensive options you wouldn't have otherwise."

>_

« Reply #566 on: August 02, 2010, 09:00:58 PM »
>"What are these components? In case I happen to bump into them while I'm out and about, anyway."

>"And yes, it would be great if you could show me the basics. I'll be one of the most attentive students you've ever had, I promise."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #567 on: August 02, 2010, 09:03:32 PM »
>"What are these components? In case I happen to bump into them while I'm out and about, anyway."

>"And yes, it would be great if you could show me the basics. I'll be one of the most attentive students you've ever had, I promise."

>She chuckles. "I'll get you a list. In the meantime, where would you like to start?"

« Reply #568 on: August 02, 2010, 09:06:35 PM »
>"I think I'll go with danmaku for now. And remember, I don't have the slightest clue how any of this works. I'll try to be a quick study, though!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #569 on: August 02, 2010, 09:10:21 PM »
>"I think I'll go with danmaku for now. And remember, I don't have the slightest clue how any of this works. I'll try to be a quick study, though!"

>She nods. "Allow me a moment while I get some supplies."
>Byakuren walks back into the temple. After a few moments, she returns with what looks like a tree branch; looking like a twig in her huge hands. She offers it to you. "This will serve you as a focus. Follow me, we'll move someplace a little safer."

>_