Author Topic: Maribel Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 80572 times)

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
Re: Maribel Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #510 on: August 02, 2010, 02:51:33 AM »
>"Mostly Parsee. The oni spooked me a bit, so I didn't try to hunt down Utsuho in the city. That Kisume girl was a problem, but I made it here alive, at least..."
>Have a seat somewhere near her.
>"Should I ask who Chen is, then?"
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #511 on: August 02, 2010, 02:52:05 AM »
>"Parsee mentioned you might know. I heard some of the story of what happened from Satori, too. I remember both Parsee and Utsuho from this 'other world' or whatever it is, if that's relevant."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #512 on: August 02, 2010, 02:53:39 AM »
>"Mostly Parsee. The oni spooked me a bit, so I didn't try to hunt down Utsuho in the city. That Kisume girl was a problem, but I made it here alive, at least..."
>Have a seat somewhere near her.
>"Should I ask who Chen is, then?"

>She nods. "Let's not worry about Chen for now. Am I correct in thinking you came from outside?"

« Reply #513 on: August 02, 2010, 02:56:13 AM »
>"From what I understand, yes. Certainly, I've never seen this place before today."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #514 on: August 02, 2010, 03:08:36 AM »
>"From what I understand, yes. Certainly, I've never seen this place before today."

>"Then I think I know why you are here. But, you will not be satisfied with what I tell you."

>_

« Reply #515 on: August 02, 2010, 03:09:47 AM »
>Sigh
>"Let me guess. No idea how I got here, and no obvious way to get me back?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #516 on: August 02, 2010, 03:17:12 AM »
>"I know how you got here," says Keine. "In short, you were carried over by the currents, so to speak, by chance. There's no greater meaning to your being here than that. At most, perhaps your own desires played a role."
>She shakes her head. "I apologize, then, for being an instrument in tearing you away from your life. I am not sure if you can easily get back, and I am not sure what you would find if you did get back. It would be a question for the Shrine Maiden."

>_

« Reply #517 on: August 02, 2010, 03:22:40 AM »
>"My desires? Well... I've always been searching for the supernatural. That's why we came to Gensokyo Isle in the first place."
>"I don't really understand what happened there. For some reason, my memories of the last while are fuzzy, and no one else gave me a very good explanation. But I heard you'd probably know best of anyone."
>"And who's this shrine maiden, and why might she know?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #518 on: August 02, 2010, 03:30:24 AM »
>"My desires? Well... I've always been searching for the supernatural. That's why we came to Gensokyo Isle in the first place."
>"I don't really understand what happened there. For some reason, my memories of the last while are fuzzy, and no one else gave me a very good explanation. But I heard you'd probably know best of anyone."
>"And who's this shrine maiden, and why might she know?"

>She nods. "I thought that might be the case. It may have played a role in bringing you here."
>"Your memories are fuzzy for the same reason everyone else's is. To a large degree, Gensokyo Isle never existed. Nothing that anyone recalls happening there actually happened."
>She shrugs. "Except for when it did. Sadly, this isn't quite so neat as one would hope."
>"The shrine maiden is the person who minds the border between this world and the other. She would be a good person to consult about leaving, if this is your wish."

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #519 on: August 02, 2010, 03:40:45 AM »
>"This place is very dangerous, and my early experiences have been... mixed. It's amazing stuff, but I'm not sure I'm in a position to get to see much of it. Can everyone here really fly and use that 'danmaku' stuff?"
>"I think if I can find a way to defend myself, I'd like to explore. But I should see how possible it would be to go back before I get too involved, shouldn't I?"
>"And I should definitely try to make sure Renko didn't end up here, too..."

« Reply #520 on: August 02, 2010, 03:41:30 AM »
>"I... might eventually want to return home. But I don't think I want to leave yet. You have to understand that in a lot of ways, being here is like a dream come true. There's so much I want to see and understand."

>"Do you know of any way to find other people who... might not belong here? I'm just wondering if there's any chance that Renko ended up here, too. She was my best friend, and we were searching for this kind of stuff together. It might be a slim chance, but still..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #521 on: August 02, 2010, 03:47:26 AM »
>"This place is very dangerous, and my early experiences have been... mixed. It's amazing stuff, but I'm not sure I'm in a position to get to see much of it. Can everyone here really fly and use that 'danmaku' stuff?"
>"I think if I can find a way to defend myself, I'd like to explore. But I should see how possible it would be to go back before I get too involved, shouldn't I?"
>"And I should definitely try to make sure Renko didn't end up here, too..."

>"I... might eventually want to return home. But I don't think I want to leave yet. You have to understand that in a lot of ways, being here is like a dream come true. There's so much I want to see and understand."

>"Do you know of any way to find other people who... might not belong here? I'm just wondering if there's any chance that Renko ended up here, too. She was my best friend, and we were searching for this kind of stuff together. It might be a slim chance, but still..."

>"Not everyone can fly," says Keine, "But they are common techniques for the those who have the potential. Unfortunately, I'm not really equipped to gauge if you do. But, there are a few people who can do this for you, though whether they would teach you is another matter."
>she smiles. "I don't think anyone would be in a hurry to shoo you off, if you didn't want to leave,"
>"I've not heard of anyone else who has appeared here. But, it's only been a short time. Not everyone would be so fortunate as you to appear near well-informed people."

>_

« Reply #522 on: August 02, 2010, 03:50:51 AM »
>"Who are these people who might be able to teach me? Or at least test me?"

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #523 on: August 02, 2010, 03:53:19 AM »
>Nod.
>"Where is the shrine maiden? Talking to her is clearly a good idea, but if it's dangerous..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #524 on: August 02, 2010, 04:09:30 AM »
>"Who are these people who might be able to teach me? Or at least test me?"

>"Well, nearest by would be Byakuren Hijiri," says Keine. "She stays at the north end of town in her temple. She is one of the most skilled magicians I've ever met, I imagine she would be able to determine your potential easily. She may even agree to train you a little. Her specialty is magic than enhances."
>"There is the shrine maiden, Reimu Hakurei, who is exceedingly skilled. But she is also lazy and rather young, I don't know if she would make a good teacher. You would have to capture her interest, at least. That sort of training would certainly be more spiritual in nature."
>"I should mention Sanae Kochiya, but who is also a shrine maiden. However, I am not sure how trustworthy she may be right now. And, to be honestly, she's a little dim sometimes."
>"Marisa Kirasame, who is a black magician living in the Forest of Magic, may take interest in you. But, like Reimu, she is rather shiftless. Her magic is based around stellar objects and emotions. She's powerful, but not very subtle. Like Reimu, you'd have to capture her interest.
>"You may want to try Alice Margatroid, who also lives in the Forest. Her magic is color-based, though I am not certain that that means. She is also a first class enchanter. That said, she is a youkai, and may not take interest in you. But she would be a good teacher if you could capture her interest.
>"South of the Forest is Scarlet Devil Mansion, where Patchouli Knowledge lives. Her name is a little pretentious, but she earned it. She is easily Byakuren's rival, if not in skill, then certainly in versatility. I don't know if she'd ever care to take on a student, for she lives research more than anything. You could learn a wide range of things from her, and she could easily assess you talents.
>"Finally, there is Sakuya Izayoi, who is head maid at the same mansion. You would certainly have to capture her interest before she would do anything for you, or her mistress' interest. If you could, she would certainly be an effect teacher, having drilled countless faeries in the art of housekeeping. Her lessons would be...unique, I daresay. She employs many tricks others do not. I don't even know how many of them she can teach."

>Nod.
>"Where is the shrine maiden? Talking to her is clearly a good idea, but if it's dangerous..."

>"It would only be dangerous if you met faeries on the way, which is possible, or if you angered one of her guests. She lives to the north of town, there is an overgrown path."

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #525 on: August 02, 2010, 04:12:30 AM »
>"How dangerous would fairies be, unarmed as I am? I took care to avoid them in the forest, after my little run-in with Kisume."
>"And what sort of guests would Reimu have?"
>Mental note: Check out Byakuren's before leaving town. Knowing our potential in this respect could make a big difference.

« Reply #526 on: August 02, 2010, 04:16:58 AM »
>"Wow, that's a pretty extensive list. Thank you. I'm not sure how interesting I am, though. Hopefully being a human from outside is at least a conversation starter. But I think I'll drop by Byakuren's first. At least I don't have to go anywhere dangerous to get there. And I can maybe work my way around to some of the others once I get my bearings"

>"I don't suppose you have any words of wisdom for a new arrival? Other than 'everything here is potentially dangerous'. I seem to be getting that a lot today."

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #527 on: August 02, 2010, 04:20:49 AM »
>"Do you think my ability to sense borders would help catch any of their interests? I do remember you said the shrine maiden takes care of one..."
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #528 on: August 02, 2010, 04:46:49 AM »
>"How dangerous would fairies be, unarmed as I am? I took care to avoid them in the forest, after my little run-in with Kisume."
>"And what sort of guests would Reimu have?"
>Mental note: Check out Byakuren's before leaving town. Knowing our potential in this respect could make a big difference.

>"Generally not as dangerous as Kisume would be. Faeries, individually, are not very powerful. But, you want to be sure not to anger groups of them. It's had to say a lot about them as a group, save that they are flighty and unpredictable. Most regard them as a nuisance more than a threat. Usually, though, being polite will work in your favor.
>"All sorts of youkai visit her. As well, she has an oni who lives there. That shouldn't be a problem for you, though."
>This seems like a good idea.

>"Wow, that's a pretty extensive list. Thank you. I'm not sure how interesting I am, though. Hopefully being a human from outside is at least a conversation starter. But I think I'll drop by Byakuren's first. At least I don't have to go anywhere dangerous to get there. And I can maybe work my way around to some of the others once I get my bearings"

>"I don't suppose you have any words of wisdom for a new arrival? Other than 'everything here is potentially dangerous'. I seem to be getting that a lot today."

>"I try to be thorough. And that seems like a good idea."
>She ponders. "Try not to get on the bad side of Remilia, Mistress of Scarlet Devil Mansion. She is about as dogged as an oni, and not nearly so honest."

>"Do you think my ability to sense borders would help catch any of their interests? I do remember you said the shrine maiden takes care of one..."

>"Sense borders?"

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #529 on: August 02, 2010, 04:47:55 AM »
>explain our ability
>ask what hers is!

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #530 on: August 02, 2010, 04:58:03 AM »
>explain our ability
>ask what hers is!

>"Interesting," says Keine. "You may well have the potential to be a shrine maiden yourself."
>"It's difficult to explain. Let us just say I keep history consistent and leave it at that."

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #531 on: August 02, 2010, 05:00:40 AM »
>"Is that so? I guess I should bring it up when I talk to Reimu, then. Unless she'd dislike the competition?"
>"And, no wonder you could help set things... straight here, apparently. But how did it change in the first place so that you HAD to fix it?"
>Were you screwing around with it?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #532 on: August 02, 2010, 05:12:28 AM »
>"Is that so? I guess I should bring it up when I talk to Reimu, then. Unless she'd dislike the competition?"
>"And, no wonder you could help set things... straight here, apparently. But how did it change in the first place so that you HAD to fix it?"
>Were you screwing around with it?

>"I don't know what she'd think," says Keine, "But I hardly imagine she would get upset about it. At worst, she'd probably just make you do the dirty work."
>"It's a long story, and I don't really have time to tell it before class."

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #533 on: August 02, 2010, 05:27:02 AM »
>"Fair enough. Who WOULD know, then? Utsuho? Reimu? Or should I come back after school's out, whenever that is?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #534 on: August 02, 2010, 05:29:59 AM »
>"Fair enough. Who WOULD know, then? Utsuho? Reimu? Or should I come back after school's out, whenever that is?"

>"Utsuho or Parsee could tell you more, or yes, visit once school is out. Is there anything else you need?"

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #535 on: August 02, 2010, 05:32:37 AM »
>"I don't think so. You've been a huge help, Miss Keine. Thank you."
>bid farewell and head to Byakuren's temple.

Doll.S CUBE

• I Have A New Obssession
  • ♥Puppy Love♥
« Reply #536 on: August 02, 2010, 06:52:20 AM »
> Evaluate all potential teachers

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #537 on: August 02, 2010, 01:57:31 PM »
>"I don't think so. You've been a huge help, Miss Keine. Thank you."
>bid farewell and head to Byakuren's temple.
> Evaluate all potential teachers

>"I'd do more, but I really need to begin class."
>As you bid Keine farewell, she walks through another another door that leads toward the playground. You watch her round up the children as you start to follow her directions, telling them if they don't hurry up and get into class, they'll not be getting any more extended recesses.
>You contemplate the various people that Keine named as you head northward, passing a decently-sized building called Shou's Clothes in the process. You don't have a whole lot to contemplate; you know two of them are shrine maidens, one is a maid that does unique things, and the rest seem to be flavors of magician. They all sound interesting.
>Soon, you come to the northern outskirts of town. Looking ahead, you can see a number of fields full of crops. Here and there, farmer tend to them. You think some are starting to harvest, but your knowledge of agriculture is next to none. Nearby, you see a large building that looks oddly like an old ship, made of wood painted dark blue. A number of sheets have been thrown over it, giving you the feeling that it's being renovated. The side of the ship has a door cut into it, wide open, with a ratty carpet placed outside that reads "Welcome" Obvious exits are North, South, and West.

>_

Thaws

• _m廿廿m_
« Reply #538 on: August 02, 2010, 02:46:41 PM »
>Walk near the door.

>Poke head inside.

>"Hello?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #539 on: August 02, 2010, 03:52:18 PM »
>Walk near the door.

>Poke head inside.

>"Hello?"

>You walk near the door and look inside. There's a smell of sawdust in the air, and sheets hanging from the ceiling, obscuring your view to the left and right. A corridor formed by the sheets leads further inside. You can hear someone hammering off to the left.
>You call out, and the hammering stops, "Is someone there? Just a minute please."
>A white-haired woman wearing a blue hood pokes her head through the sheets. "Ah, can I help you?"

>_