Author Topic: Maribel Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure  (Read 80138 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Maribel Quest - A Z-Machine Adventure
« Reply #300 on: August 01, 2010, 03:13:19 AM »
>"Ability to mess with envy?... do YOU have a special ability, too?"

>"Oh, I've got a few tricks up my sleeve," says Nue with a wink.

>_

« Reply #301 on: August 01, 2010, 03:14:48 AM »
>"Shall I take that to mean you're not sharing them?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #302 on: August 01, 2010, 03:16:10 AM »
>"Shall I take that to mean you're not sharing them?"

>"Life's more fun that way, don't you think?" she says.

>_

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #303 on: August 01, 2010, 03:18:24 AM »
>Chuckle. Try not to sound nervous.
>"That's fair enough."
>"Thanks for the talk, Nue. I think I'll keep looking for Utsuho. Maybe I'll see you again later."
>wave and head for the bridge, unless the Felt comes into view on the west side and is closer.
There was something here once. Wonder what...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #304 on: August 01, 2010, 03:32:09 AM »
>Chuckle. Try not to sound nervous.
>"That's fair enough."
>"Thanks for the talk, Nue. I think I'll keep looking for Utsuho. Maybe I'll see you again later."
>wave and head for the bridge, unless the Felt comes into view on the west side and is closer.

>You try not to sound too nervous. She's been nice, right? She's probably not going to try to eat you. Probably.
>"No problem," she says. "Feel free to stop by the Rose and Weasel later. Maybe I'll give you a discount."
>She separates off from you, and heads down a road to the east.
>You are now in a section of the market that seems to be devoted to foodstuffs. A lot of tasty smells, many of the friend, taunt your nose. But, at the same time, you kinda wonder how many of them are appropriate for breakfast. You notice a lot of them sell various kinds of liquor as well.
>You head south, toward the city gates. This part of town is relatively quiet, the music isn't that loud and there's practically no one here. You see a major road head off to the west, along the edge of the cavern. The gates themselves are ten foot high things, wide enough to  for three of you to lay across. They are made of old wood, and bear a significant amount of graffiti.
>Through the gates, you can see a long wooden bridge, like something from an old ink painting, spanning across a dark abyss. You think you see someone lingering on it; a blonde woman in a brownish dress.

>_

« Reply #305 on: August 01, 2010, 03:34:15 AM »
>Walk closer

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #306 on: August 01, 2010, 03:43:34 AM »
>Walk closer

>You walk closer, and step onto the bridge. It spawns over a yawning abyss; you cannot see the bottom of it very well. The ceiling is much closer to the ground here; leaving you feeling as though you're truly in a subterranean cavern for once. You feel even further from the world you knew than before now; at least in the city you could kinda pretend you weren't underground.
>The woman up ahead seems to be leaning on the bridge railing, frown into the abyss. She wears curious clothes that have a sort of Middle Eastern feel to them; most odd are her detached sleeves. Her ears are pointed, but otherwise she looks human. She feels familiar to you, despite this.
>She glances over, and her frown shifts a little. "Oh, it's you..." she says.

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #307 on: August 01, 2010, 03:46:41 AM »
>"Are you... Parsee?"

« Reply #308 on: August 01, 2010, 03:47:02 AM »
>"You don't sound surprised to see me."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #309 on: August 01, 2010, 03:49:43 AM »
>"Are you... Parsee?"

>She nods. "You have to ask. You've forgotten, haven't you?"

>"You don't sound surprised to see me."

>"No. I was there when they found you."

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #310 on: August 01, 2010, 03:51:29 AM »
>"I've forgotten most of it, at least. You look familiar, but the past few days are... fuzzy."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #311 on: August 01, 2010, 03:52:40 AM »
>"I've forgotten most of it, at least. You look familiar, but the past few days are... fuzzy."

>"Not surprising," she says. "So, what do you what?"

>_

« Reply #312 on: August 01, 2010, 03:56:10 AM »
>"Well, I'm just exploring at the moment. You may be used to the place, but to me, everything here is strange and both amazing and frightening. I've already had an oni try to kidnap me, although that hopefully won't be a problem again in the near future. I'm not even sure exactly what I'm supposed to do, now. I just know that I want to see more."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #313 on: August 01, 2010, 03:57:21 AM »
>"Well, I'm just exploring at the moment. You may be used to the place, but to me, everything here is strange and both amazing and frightening. I've already had an oni try to kidnap me, although that hopefully won't be a problem again in the near future. I'm not even sure exactly what I'm supposed to do, now. I just know that I want to see more."

>She nods. "Don't let me stop you."

>_

« Reply #314 on: August 01, 2010, 03:59:54 AM »
>"Well, I guess I don't really know where to go. You and Utsuho are the only people I really remember here. And I've been left with the distinct impression that there's a great many things which could be dangerous to someone who can't defend themselves."

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #315 on: August 01, 2010, 04:01:15 AM »
>"I've been looking for Utsuho to try and ask for an explanation of what happened, and why I'm in this Gensokyo, since I assumed she'd recall more of it... but it seems you do, too. Would you be willing to tell me a little?"
>Passive-aggressive. Damnit.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #316 on: August 01, 2010, 04:04:15 AM »
>"Well, I guess I don't really know where to go. You and Utsuho are the only people I really remember here. And I've been left with the distinct impression that there's a great many things which could be dangerous to someone who can't defend themselves."

>"Hmm? Oh, that's true, isn't it? I suppose if you told the youkai up ahead you're in good with Utsuho, they probably wouldn't give you a hard time." She shrugs.

>"I've been looking for Utsuho to try and ask for an explanation of what happened, and why I'm in this Gensokyo, since I assumed she'd recall more of it... but it seems you do, too. Would you be willing to tell me a little?"
>Passive-aggressive. Damnit.

>"We don't know why you're here," Parsee says. "I guess you got carried over, but we couldn't tell you why."

>_

« Reply #317 on: August 01, 2010, 04:07:49 AM »
>"Well, do you know anyone who might know? Satori mentioned that you and Utsuho probably kept your memories because you were involved in... whatever caused this to happen. What did you do?"

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #318 on: August 01, 2010, 04:10:03 AM »
>"That's good to know, but I'm tempted to ask to confirm that option with Utsuho personally... and thank her, since I think she helped me uh... before."
>"... I don't suppose you have any idea where Renko is?"
>"Do you remember enough of 'my' world to give me an idea of how things are different here, and what I need to learn to do differently to get by?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #319 on: August 01, 2010, 04:15:31 AM »
>"Well, do you know anyone who might know? Satori mentioned that you and Utsuho probably kept your memories because you were involved in... whatever caused this to happen. What did you do?"

>"There's a woman named Keine who lives topside. She might know," says Parsee. "She did the actual grunt work of fixing up everything. But she said herself she couldn't foresee everything. The reason we remember? Because we went along with her for the ride, and went outside time. Because of that, the changes made to fix things didn't touch our memories. Or at least that's what she said."

>"That's good to know, but I'm tempted to ask to confirm that option with Utsuho personally... and thank her, since I think she helped me uh... before."
>"... I don't suppose you have any idea where Renko is?"
>"Do you remember enough of 'my' world to give me an idea of how things are different here, and what I need to learn to do differently to get by?"

>"Do what you want, I guess."
>"Oh, your partner with the hat? No idea. We're pretty sure she's not down here, unless some oni found her and is keeping it a secret. Which they usually wouldn't."
>"Best thing I can tell you is that humans aren't the top dogs around here. You remember all those kid's stories about people who got all arrogant about the world, and got their just desserts? That's a pretty good way to think about it."

>_

« Reply #320 on: August 01, 2010, 04:19:19 AM »
>"Do you know how I could find this Keine? And actually get there safely?"
>"And, well, I seem to be the only human here at all. Are there more above ground?"

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #321 on: August 01, 2010, 04:23:25 AM »
>"How did Keine fix up everything? I'm guessing she has some special power, too?"
>"I DO get the impression that I'm not a strong person here. That's actually part of why I'm worried... but if Utsuho's favor is enough to keep people from attacking, that should help."
>"I also talked with a girl in the city that mentioned spellcards, and they sounded like something that gets used in fights - what should I know about that?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #322 on: August 01, 2010, 04:31:35 AM »
>"Do you know how I could find this Keine? And actually get there safely?"
>"And, well, I seem to be the only human here at all. Are there more above ground?"

>"Ask around topside, I guess," she says. "I never go there."
>"You might be the only one down here. Oni and humans tend not to mix. But there's a whole village of 'em topside, and a few others spread around."

>"How did Keine fix up everything? I'm guessing she has some special power, too?"
>"I DO get the impression that I'm not a strong person here. That's actually part of why I'm worried... but if Utsuho's favor is enough to keep people from attacking, that should help."
>"I also talked with a girl in the city that mentioned spellcards, and they sounded like something that gets used in fights - what should I know about that?"

>"Yeah, something to do with history."
>"It'll help, but you might have to back it up."
>"Oh, those? Yeah. You know about danmaku, right? Spellcards let you set up danmaku ahead of time. They take concentration to use, but they also tend to hit harder and give other benefits. Usually you can write them to be more complex than your regular stuff, too."

>_

« Reply #323 on: August 01, 2010, 04:35:19 AM »
>"Well, I know OF danmaku. I saw Satori and Deva K throwing them at each other, earlier. But I certainly don't know how to do that myself, unfortunately... That seems like it might be something of a survival skill around here."

>"Are there any people from the underground who tend to go topside as well? Does Utsuho ever go up there?"

communist unity (comm-unity)

• Boss of the Gym
  • 100% salt
« Reply #324 on: August 01, 2010, 04:38:06 AM »
> "Any idea where Utsuho might be at this moment? It'd be nice to ask her a few questions."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #325 on: August 01, 2010, 04:40:33 AM »
>"Well, I know OF danmaku. I saw Satori and Deva K throwing them at each other, earlier. But I certainly don't know how to do that myself, unfortunately... That seems like it might be something of a survival skill around here."

>"Are there any people from the underground who tend to go topside as well? Does Utsuho ever go up there?"

>"Yeah, it's pretty important."
>"Yuugi would, once in awhile. And I think Yamame has a deal with one of the merchants up there. She's a spider youkai, before you ask, lives close to topside."

> "Any idea where Utsuho might be at this moment? It'd be nice to ask her a few questions."

>"Maybe prowling the west side?" Parsee says with a shrug. "She and Yuugi are supposed to fight it out today."

>_

« Reply #326 on: August 01, 2010, 04:41:27 AM »
>"Fight it out? Over you, right?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #327 on: August 01, 2010, 04:42:40 AM »
>"Fight it out? Over you, right?"

>She nods, looking back into the abyss. "At least as far as Yuugi's concerned."

>_

E-Nazrin

• fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #328 on: August 01, 2010, 04:43:06 AM »
>Uhoh.
>"Do you think they'll get really hurt by that?"
>"About how safe would it be to go and talk to Yamame? Apparently I'll be safe enough in the city, but I'm not sure how wise it would be to wander further."

« Reply #329 on: August 01, 2010, 04:43:39 AM »
>"As far as she's concerned? What about Utsuho, then?"