Author Topic: STG THREAD 5 WAS PREPARED WITH MUCH TROUBLE. YOU DO WHAT.  (Read 123635 times)

Re: STG THREAD 5 WAS PREPARED WITH MUCH TROUBLE. YOU DO WHAT.
« Reply #30 on: May 06, 2010, 04:20:33 AM »
Killing stuff as fast as possible is how you perform 'high-level' scoring in DF, since destroying enemy formations causes new, previously unseen formations to appear, which yields more Disco Men.  Though for people like you and me who probably can't even 1cc consistently yet, it's better to just focus on surviving and chain the Disco Men.  Do NOT lose your chain on stage 4 and 5.

that's nice to hear, thank you very much!

Also, you constantly say that you're really bad at memorization, but your score in X-Multiply week seems to suggest otherwise. :V

Posting before lock

eheh, what I usually do is to try to memorize important keypoints, until I'm comfortable enough with them. If I'm having troubles in them, and then watch someone else solve them in a better way which would demand less effort, I try incorporating that into my game plan (in order to keep the amount of things to memorize to a minimum). Also, most of the times I'm playing a new shmup, I usually try to learn how to do well on the first stage (which would require less effort and give me a satisfactory score lead, compared to myself if I chose to not practice it), and then try to learn the others (through savestates if I've internalized enough of the past stages and feel like saving time). There are some exceptions, like Armed Police Batrider (which is so difficult for me to score decently on it, and to think of a good team selection, that I mess up on the first or second stage, and can't reach the score I was looking for..), and the "traditional" Touhou shmups (for Windows), because there are so much of the above mentioned keypoints, and memorizing them is made more difficult, because of the background, and the enemy sprites being mostly the same, which means that I don't have much resources to try to remind myself of what's coming up next (in later stages), that I feel like I'm only reacting to what's coming up, instead of trying to anticipate and keep some degree of control over the game. (I mean.. "oh no, I now remember what attacks these fairies are going to use, but it's too late for me to be at the best positions of the screen, score-wise"). Plus, in most Touhou shmups, you need to graze a lot, and seeing, for example, someone safespot-graze midboss Rumia's spellcard ( in Hard, at least ) demotivates me (also, there's one point in stage 5 where the same player suicides, and then uses his/her invulnerability time to enter a fairy's sprite to point-blank graze her spread ring of bullets. Also, stage 4 needs quite a lot of player pre-positioning, and Sakuya's Eternal Meek can also be safespot grazed until timeout -- but again, I don't feel like even trying to safespot graze Rumia's midboss sc, what to say about getting that far..)

so, there were few things that I had to memorize in X-Multiply, for example, how to deal with certain bosses ( based on the attacks that they use; I'd rather try to understand what I'm doing by shooting certain parts first and then try to anticipate the bosses' actions, than try to memorize the order of things I should attack ), and what parts were killing me ( some parts were consistent, so I got hit in the head too much by them, and ended up overcoming said parts -- thanks to the stage helping me to anticipate them ). It was simple to understand what to do on stage 5 ( this means, bringing the missile-type weapon from stage 4 against the crystal-holding bubbles and killing the sponges/balloons before their shots could overwhelm me ), and stage 4 ( speedkill the worms which pull the stage's walls and watch out for the blue slimes at the floor/ceiling, using the tentacles to protect myself or to damage them ). Finally, it seems to me that my scores depend on how well my runs can go without something going wrong in them ( so, even though I've put a lot of effort in the shmups we've played so far, I didn't post my scores on the shmups forum, because I couldn't get my runs free from irritating mistakes, so far -- and these scores of mine could be surpassed by someone with better coordination, so I wanted to improve on that aspect before deciding that I've reached a consistent wall )

I hope that this.. explanation.. helps you understand what were my thoughts when playing and trying to learn X-Multiply :p

ps: people, I ( more exactly, my friend ) still need help with Phantasm Romance's bgm for the 2nd boss (Yuka).. what would be it's name and artist, if anybody knows? Once again, thank you in advance!  (personally, there were other bgm from the same game, which I liked more..)
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.

« Reply #31 on: May 06, 2010, 02:54:32 PM »
Did a credit feed run of Triggerheart Exelica since I hadn't played it for a while.
Failed a lot on the first 3 stages, but they aren't actually that bad. Stage 4 is potentially resource draining, especially the final half and boss . Stage 5, not as much, but it's still very possible to mess up. Final Faintear is one of the easiest final bosses ever. I can't even trigger her  other stage appearances consistently now.

It'll be a lot of practice before I have a chance to 1cc on defaults with Normal or Hard difficulty. This run was done without defaults just so I wouldn't have to continue as much and so my score wouldn't be posted to the leaderboard. Though this game seems to be worse about the DRM since I have to redownload the unlock each time. Oh well, it's free to redownload, so no big deal. Well, I noticed that whatever scores I had got wiped out.

Okay, Autoswing off is pretty much suicide. You cannot control that well at all with the 360 controls. Autoswing on means you're likely to miss enemies and your score will definitely be shit because you can't milk patterns, not that I would even try that yet.

What did Hard mode randomize again? Was it the patterns in general, the speed of patterns, or both?

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #32 on: May 06, 2010, 03:03:49 PM »
Played DOJ today and somehow did wildly better than all of my previous attempts. Got a 300ish chain on Stage 1, nailed the Stage 2 boss with a 5 item hyper and scored over 2k hits, 1 missed Stage 3, 2 missed Stage 4 and got a game over on the final ship before the boss of Stage 5 (;_;) with about 48m points. First time I reached Stage 5 and I almost doubled my high score. :V Hell yeah.
Let's fight.

« Reply #33 on: May 06, 2010, 04:44:55 PM »
Default settings attempt, Normal

Derped enough that I game overed on the Stage 3 boss. Only used one bomb the entire game. Barely got the 50,000,000 extend because I can't score worth crap. 100 million extend with the way I'm playing will either be final stage, probably near the final boss or at it, or not at all.

I really need to improve my scoring, but it's kind of hard when having Autoswing off makes it even easier to derp causing me to leave it on. Plus with the shitty control for it, I'd probably score worse anyway.

Also, I should really play more Futari sometime.

Also, why the hell do lots of people like Ikaruga so much? The game is all kinds of terrible.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 04:47:29 PM by Enigma »

Matsuri

« Reply #34 on: May 06, 2010, 04:47:53 PM »
I just now realized how psyched I am for DeathSmiles. @_@

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #35 on: May 06, 2010, 04:49:09 PM »
Played DOJ today and somehow did wildly better than all of my previous attempts. Got a 300ish chain on Stage 1, nailed the Stage 2 boss with a 5 item hyper and scored over 2k hits, 1 missed Stage 3, 2 missed Stage 4 and got a game over on the final ship before the boss of Stage 5 (;_;) with about 48m points. First time I reached Stage 5 and I almost doubled my high score. :V Hell yeah.

Do you play on the xbox or PS2?

If it's on xbox, how do you have patience to go through all the menus, and loading times every time you want to restart?
Current Goal: PCB Lunatic 1cc
Watch me on Youtube

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #36 on: May 06, 2010, 04:50:28 PM »
I just now realized how psyched I am for DeathSmiles. @_@

Have you played it before?

It became my favorite Cave game by far. Ketsui arrived and it did nothing to me.

DS is fantastic
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #37 on: May 06, 2010, 05:02:51 PM »
Wasn't the 360 version of DOJ patched? Also, the install feature would help with the load times.

Quit dying with bombs in stock, quit dying with bombs in stock, quit dying with bombs in stock. This keeps happening to me every shmup I play.

Matsuri

« Reply #38 on: May 06, 2010, 05:09:43 PM »
Have you played it before?

It became my favorite Cave game by far. Ketsui arrived and it did nothing to me.

DS is fantastic

Never played it before.

Mushi Futari is by far my all-time favorite shmup, but DS looks amazing as well.

I have no access to Ketsui, I'm afraid. :x

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #39 on: May 06, 2010, 05:10:45 PM »
Do you play on the xbox or PS2?

If it's on xbox, how do you have patience to go through all the menus, and loading times every time you want to restart?
PS2. Having said that, I have to go through the 20 second or so copyright screen every time I restart on stage 1 or 2 of DDP while trying to record a replay. It's a pain, but I guess it's just something you get used to. It's really, really worth playing DOJ anyway, though, it's pretty fantastic.

Also; must get Deathsmiles. :V
Let's fight.

Vanishing Sock Puppet

• Phantasmic Scribbler
  • brb exploding in a black hole
    • The Sock Drawer
« Reply #40 on: May 06, 2010, 06:07:35 PM »
Playing through Truxton II.

Why does a single level in this game feel like an entire play though of any other STG not named Space Megaforce?

« Reply #41 on: May 06, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »
FUCK

Missed on Stage 3 boss with 2 bombs in stock
Missed on stage 4 boss
Missed on Stage 4 boss with 2 bombs in stock
Final one was when I was 96,721,867 points

If I hadn't died with bombs in stock either time, that would have been a Normal 1cc since I would have been able to fight Faintear on Stage 3 or gotten a higher bonus on Stage 4 giving me the 100,000,000 extend.

Bananamatic

« Reply #42 on: May 06, 2010, 06:20:00 PM »
are these cave ports going to be available in 6 years

because there's no way in hell I'll manage to import anything before that

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #43 on: May 06, 2010, 07:22:07 PM »
Buy all the games and keep them in a safe =P

You live in the US, buy from NCSX, it's a local store.
Watch me on Youtube

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #44 on: May 06, 2010, 07:26:54 PM »
I thought Bananamatic lives in PAL territory.

Playing through Truxton II.

Why does a single level in this game feel like an entire play though of any other STG not named Space Megaforce?

Thank god for the "D" button.

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

« Reply #45 on: May 06, 2010, 07:28:12 PM »
Does anyone know or can link to a list of how many medals you need to fight each boss form in Triggerheart Exelica.

I know the ones needed for the final fights in Stages 1 and 3, though not really the ones before that, but I'm clueless about just how good you have to do in stages 2 and 4 for each of the forms.

I think I could No Miss Normal with some practice, but first I'll focus on the 1cc since I haven't had the chance to practice boss attacks enough to do all of them without bombing.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #46 on: May 06, 2010, 07:53:03 PM »
359 chain on the streaming section of stage 5, no deaths or bombs at all.
 :o
Derp edit: DDP by the way.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2010, 08:03:51 PM by Reiuzengar Utsuho »

Bananamatic

« Reply #47 on: May 06, 2010, 08:35:46 PM »
yeah PAL, and not even UK

no way for me to pay online with a credit card, let alone get enough cash for 1 game...AND a 360.

KOA

• 決意するがよい
    • HP
« Reply #48 on: May 06, 2010, 08:43:56 PM »
Can All TVs handle 60hz signals over there now, or still a select few?

YouTube - Website - Blog - Ask me anything
You can do anything you set your mind to, but only if there's slowdown.

Bananamatic

« Reply #49 on: May 06, 2010, 09:23:41 PM »
Can All TVs handle 60hz signals over there now, or still a select few?
dunno, I play on a TV which is so small that I have to tate gunbird 2 and play on the side to see anything

« Reply #50 on: May 06, 2010, 11:47:42 PM »
Played some Futari. I suck now. Of course, I sucked before, but not anywhere near this much.

Matsuri

« Reply #51 on: May 07, 2010, 12:40:21 AM »
I need to play some Futari tonight. It's probably going to be awful since I'm so out of practice, though.

« Reply #52 on: May 07, 2010, 12:57:17 AM »
Oh God, I tried taking a break from DF today and play some other stuff.

No matter what I tried, the movement speed felt so fucking SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DODGE ANYTHING

« Reply #53 on: May 07, 2010, 01:03:54 AM »

No matter what I tried, the movement speed felt so fucking SLOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOW HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO DODGE ANYTHING

Quickly quickly, play PCB. for maximum effect.  :V

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #54 on: May 07, 2010, 01:19:35 AM »
Ketsui - 13,465,090 - St 3

Finally met 3rd stage's mid boss.

How am I supposed to kill that huge battleship while million other airplanes are shooting is beyond me.

And I only got that far because I did good bomb management and perfected 1st stage.
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #55 on: May 07, 2010, 01:38:01 AM »
The stage 3 battleship also has the usual stage 3 extend. You just have to destroy all of its parts without bombing, I believe.

lmagus

• I HATE VoWG
    • My Youtube
« Reply #56 on: May 07, 2010, 01:40:19 AM »
like that will ever happen... :D
Watch me on Youtube

« Reply #57 on: May 07, 2010, 01:47:13 AM »
Got the Triggerheart Exelica Hard mode 1cc achievement. Of course, I can't actually call it a 1cc as I used 5 starting lives and 5 bombs per life  :D. I died with 5 bombs in stock twice and got to the final boss 0/2. Almost messed that up. Ended 1/0 as I got the 75,000,000 Extend  :D due to the settings being on Extend every 25,000,000 instead of just 50,000,000 and 100,000,000. I'll try to legitimately 1cc Hard someday, but a default settings Normal 1cc will come first.

« Reply #58 on: May 07, 2010, 02:46:46 AM »
Gunbird 2 first loop no-miss attempt

Died to st.5 boss with 6 bombs, game-over'd right after st.7 midboss

:derp:

« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2010, 03:27:01 AM »

what about Dogyuun?

also, what about using Bornnam in Battle Garegga, for the slow ship feeling? ( there were a few slow ships in Raiden Fighters Jet as well.. )
neku: now for something important.
Translations.
How much time do you guys think it will take for HM to be translated? Besides everyone's story modes and the whole menus, there's also the fact that the way HM's programmed is different from all other games. I bet it'll take two months.

lusvik: I don't mind about playing HM in japanese. The language of punching other people is international.