Author Topic: STG THREAD 5 WAS PREPARED WITH MUCH TROUBLE. YOU DO WHAT.  (Read 123630 times)

Re: STG THREAD 5 WAS PREPARED WITH MUCH TROUBLE. YOU DO WHAT.
« Reply #990 on: June 22, 2010, 08:02:03 PM »
Hey, I've also been playing some ESP Ra.De. lately. I can sometimes make it to the final boss and even that seems possible for me to do with enough practice. I should make this my next 1cc project.

Improving in shmups is one of the best feelings ever. :V I remember when 1cc'ing DDP was a huge achievment for me some months ago and now I can usually do that on the first few attempts. Did a random run (with A-S of all things) and cleared it, despite dying twice in stage 3. Did not loop though, but last two stages went really well.
"First of all, for those who've cleared the game, please try playing for more points." - ZUN

Bananamatic

« Reply #991 on: June 22, 2010, 09:11:47 PM »
Also: Next thread name?

Matsuri

« Reply #992 on: June 22, 2010, 09:15:54 PM »
Oh wow this one's almost done already

Uhhhhh

Dunno :V

Bananamatic

« Reply #993 on: June 22, 2010, 09:17:49 PM »
Let's Ass Kick Together

Matsuri

« Reply #994 on: June 22, 2010, 09:19:11 PM »
I approve.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #995 on: June 22, 2010, 09:34:04 PM »
How do you guys find Ketsui? I bought the port and was able to play it for a few hours this weekend. So far seems like one of the most fun games I've ever played. Scoring system is pretty much perfect. Difficulty is rather high, though, clearly similar to DOJ BL (at least if you don't hyper much). X mode is also amazing; mashing various aspects of Ketsui scoring and difficulty resulted in by far the most fun and flexible arrange mode ever.
Ketsui's definitely one of my favourites, up there with DDP and DOJBL. I'd agree about the X mode being exceptional - to my memory it's the only arrange mode I end up playing as much as the standard game, if not more often. The regular game's scoring system is fun too, though I think there are some nuances I haven't really understood yet - so far I'm just playing it as 'get as many 5s as possible', which while useful might not be all there is to it since I seem to be getting pretty low scores in comparison to my distance (my highest for a 1-all is 70m so far).

It's definitely one of the hardest CAVE 1-alls to get, maybe even harder than DOJ... the first three stages aren't too bad, and fourth is a little harder, but the fifth is like a whole new game. As always though, practice will get you through it given enough time. :P
Let's fight.

moozooh

• Your grandfather
    • Touhou world record tracker
« Reply #996 on: June 22, 2010, 10:20:49 PM »
The regular game's scoring system is fun too, though I think there are some nuances I haven't really understood yet - so far I'm just playing it as 'get as many 5s as possible', which while useful might not be all there is to it since I seem to be getting pretty low scores in comparison to my distance (my highest for a 1-all is 70m so far).
Well, the system is actually very simple. The whole ST thread on shmups.com can be summarized in a few brief sentences.

? Killing stuff with normal shot releases chips depending on distance from the target. It doesn't decrease stage multiplier.
? Killing stuff with lock-shot releases more chips from enemies but cashes the multiplier in unless done in a chain.
? Picking up a chip starts a chain, during which every destroyed enemy releases chips of the same value.

Thus, the whole scoring system is about taking out a single enemy and plowing through the rest with lock-shot for a couple seconds. Rinse and repeat. There are several keys to making the process more efficient, which I arranged in order of importance.

1. Make sure not to cash in your stage multiplier on something that isn't worth it. Midbosses (main bodies, not the parts!) are always good. Large enemies near the end of the stage are also good; consult the booklet for their exact point value. Destructible (mid-)boss parts are VERY BAD; only destroy those for chips or leave them be if you can't.

2. Build longer chains, as killing stuff with lock-shot releases way more chips.

3. Spare lives and bombs are factored in at the end-of-stage score tally, so don't die, don't bomb, and get the secret 1-ups if you can. It's not a whole lot, but it's significant: about 15?25% of your first loop score comes from end-of-stage bonus, with a maximum of about 65 million, or something like that (SPS gets 62 in his 512 million run, which he has since improved by 47 million). Survival obviously takes precedence, though.

4. Master the empty lock technique (easier with Panzer Jager since it has longer lock-on period) for more chips off unchainable enemies. Not terribly useful, but allows for receiving the first extend already on stage 1, among other things.

As you see, the system is really simple and largely intuitive, which is why I've been able to score and enjoy scoring right from the beginning. :) Hope this helps!
<nintendonut888> Mountain of Faith, or "How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Love the Bomb."

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #997 on: June 23, 2010, 01:25:05 AM »
inb4threadclose

Uhhh...

Hmm, what was I going to say. I want to try and find more indy/doujin shmups, after the whole SotW thing with Eden's Aegis, I felt kind of compelled to get back into the shmup scene again. I partly blame Matsymallow for this. :V

Got any suggestions, friends of the world?

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Matsuri

« Reply #998 on: June 23, 2010, 01:35:48 AM »
inb4threadclose

Uhhh...

Hmm, what was I going to say. I want to try and find more indy/doujin shmups, after the whole SotW thing with Eden's Aegis, I felt kind of compelled to get back into the shmup scene again. I partly blame Matsymallow for this. :V

Got any suggestions, friends of the world?

Mission accomplished. :3

I'll see if I can come up with some suggestions. :P

« Reply #999 on: June 23, 2010, 02:24:11 AM »
I was trying to think of something using those Deathsmiles screenshots, but I can't come up with anything. And I'm not familiar with many quotes from these. Then I tried looking up some stuff from Ikaruga, but the stuff I found I knew wasn't correct, and I'm too lazy to play through now to check for possible quotes.

« Reply #1000 on: June 23, 2010, 02:25:50 AM »
Dimahoo's opening sequence has a few quotable lines, I think.