Author Topic: [東方意地奴 ~ Touhou Ijiyatsu] - Monarchly Moron (Ver. 1.00f)  (Read 107654 times)

Drake

Re: [東方意地奴 ~ Touhou Ijiyatsu] - Monarchly Moron (Ver. 1.00f)
« Reply #150 on: December 10, 2009, 02:49:21 AM »
Skye's been doing the player sprites as of now...
The enemy sprites will likely be heavily edited and shrunken portraits, probaby done by whoever could make them look the best...
The bullets will be edited versions of puremrz's sheets...

Is there any more actual spriting needed?

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #151 on: December 10, 2009, 02:50:55 AM »
Oh yeah Skye was also doing faries and stuff like that. I wonder how those are coming along?

Um we still might need more bullet sprites for like Gpop or something?

« Reply #152 on: December 10, 2009, 02:57:31 AM »
That'd be nice. And a good rock/cliff graphic* that can be infinitely tiled (can be connected on all four sides without wierd lines). It's for Ijiyatsu, yes.

And while we're on it, let's get the background plan/layout for the stages* done so we can make graphics for that.

*The two may be connected.

Mounting Jaggis

• It's a dinosaur rodeo!
  • Yeee haww!
« Reply #153 on: December 10, 2009, 05:54:08 AM »
Sorry I haven't been able to bring new sprites so far, my class schedule for this month has been really tight. I'll see if I can get to finishing Rou's soon

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #154 on: December 10, 2009, 06:01:14 AM »
It's cool Skye, I think most everyone has been dealing with the crunch time as the end of the Fall semester approaches. Once everyones' schedules ease up a bit, things'll move a lot faster.
Tumblr (sometimes NSFW) | PM for Facebook

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #155 on: December 10, 2009, 09:31:46 AM »
I had sprited needles for Purvis but they can be basically used for any enemy / boss or what ever you want.

« Reply #156 on: December 12, 2009, 04:20:19 AM »
Potential issue with the sound font (this is going to get a bit technical).

Okay, so, the "Romantic Trumet" instrument, the one which sounds "hey, that's the ZUN trumpet" -- it uses multiple WAV samples for different pitches. Problem is, the different samples have different volumes. In other words, stuff at lower pitches are markedly quieter than stuff at higher pitches. I've tried to fix that (I've got audio-editing tools, and SynthFont has a soundfont-editor), but I haven't quite been fully successful.

I mean, this is basically academic with respect to the game, since Drake has an actual SD-90 now, but for those of us who are limited to using the soundfont ...

Drake

« Reply #157 on: December 12, 2009, 04:27:03 AM »
No, I don't. No way I have the spare money to get one. That was something else, screwed with until it sounded as perfect as I could get it at.

I suppose if the trumpet is a problem I could look at it, but I probably won't do so until I pick up the music again.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #158 on: December 12, 2009, 04:54:04 AM »
Oh, I thought you had one all this time. I figured you used some kind of mad hax or ridiculous luck and found it behind a dumpster or something. :V

« Reply #159 on: December 12, 2009, 06:35:10 AM »
Ah, my mistake then. Well, I'll do my best to work on the samples.

Here's an example of what I'm talking about. I never changed the volume for the trumpets in the MIDI file, but ...

Drake

« Reply #160 on: December 12, 2009, 10:18:39 PM »
I can't really find much of a noticeable difference, it sounds pretty much fine to me. I won't be much help there, sorry.

Drake needs halp now though

What we're doing with the laser is that we're programming it to be divided into sections so you get graze for each section, adjustable length, they'll split into two lasers if you run into it and a bunch of other goodies. The lasers will look like ZUN's, with a bright end and a dark end. For this to be doable, programming-wise, we need two parts of the laser. One is a solid colored part, and the other is a gradient used as an additive blend. Otherwise, if a single image is used then the gradient will be chopped up and look terrible.

I can't even remember if the top or bottom is mine, lol. The two fading lines are the outer edge of the laser. This is what I want. The problem is that I can't get transparency on the ends using ADD blending; as demonstrated by the bottom line. I need a way to layer images so that a solid-colored line will have transparent ends.

« Reply #161 on: December 12, 2009, 11:24:18 PM »
Make them transparent in photoshop maybe? I danmakufu seems to keep transparency of PNGs if you use drawloop (it did for one of my scripts anyways)

« Reply #162 on: December 13, 2009, 12:42:13 AM »
ADDitive blending doesnt fly with transparency, so I'll pose the question... Why can't we just use ALPHA blending?

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #163 on: December 13, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »
I thought ALPHA blending doesn't make the images glowly but rather plain and dull looking.

Nobu

• Serendipitous Youkai
  • i post while naked
    • My Tumblr
« Reply #164 on: December 13, 2009, 12:43:08 PM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCOJQaPplVs#t=4m40s

Replace Marisa/Chibi-Marisa with Slaves/Drake.

Drake

« Reply #166 on: December 13, 2009, 11:45:59 PM »
more stuff

i wish this was easier

Nine West

• Shrine maidens? Evil spirits? Magicians?
  • How wonderful!
« Reply #167 on: December 16, 2009, 05:23:33 AM »
Uhh, so the bosses need to come up with Spell Card ideas now or is it all for the programmers since nobody seems to come to Rika's Garage?

« Reply #168 on: December 16, 2009, 05:32:03 AM »
Uhh, so the bosses need to come up with Spell Card ideas now or is it all for the programmers since nobody seems to come to Rika's Garage?
I think we'll be handling that for the most part, since designing spellcards is difficult to do if you've never actually tried doing it before. A lot of people when they try to come up with spellcards often borrow from other existing cards because it's really hard to think of things you've never seen before. Actually coming up with original spellcard designs requires a mix if ingenouity andmessing around with stuff (and a lot of mathematical functions).

Of course other people are still free to come up stuff as well. One thing that they can do is establish a "theme" for the danmaku of each character. ZUNalways seems to have two 'themes' per character. Spellcard and nonspell theme. Every touhou boss except stage 6 bosses always have a consistent design theme in all of thier non-cards, and character them in thir actual spellcards. For example Nazrin has noncards that spawn a purple line across the theme while her spells are dowsing based.

This is something that is propabily best off for other people to decide (mostly for the person/boss in question I guess), and then we can work around that theme and make some fitting attacks.

dood

« Reply #169 on: December 16, 2009, 06:38:54 AM »
I have renewed faith

Suikama, try to be on #Ijiatsu more often, even if you're not ready to program anything significant we'd kinda like you to be up to speed on where things are. Not everything being done is getting reported on MotK at this point, so try and be on just to catch the conversation, at the very least.

Same goes for you too, Onthenet, but I honestly have no fucking idea what you're doing anymore so

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #170 on: December 16, 2009, 03:43:30 PM »
SUPERU KARTO !!

Oh boy. I need to shout some stuff about this though. Spellcards have to be in harmony with the character, music, background and abilities.

Most easiest example is Marisa. Can you imagine her without her star bullets or milky-way alike patterns with lots of power and lasers? I surely cannot. It comes down to this.

Also another thing which is actually bothering me alot. The thing I am mostly seeing in peoples spellcards is they focus too much on the spawning of the pattern instead of the final appearance. This is hard to explain but they are bothering more like drawing some nifty flower or triangle or anything. Later on the bullets just spread out which you just have to dodge. This is really a shame and imo it does not make danmaku complete. It can be a GOOD thing to make nifty patterns but they shouldn't be overdone.
An example of a good appearance is VoWG which looks beautiful but is just a dodge me attack. Then why does this spellcard feels so awesome. Because it is in balance with the music, the boss and everything. Go watch Suwa foughten field EWI flash on youtube/niconico and you'll understand it.

Also noncards can be designed in two ways.
- Make each unique
- Make the next one harder than the previous ( Nue / Mokou / Ran are good examples )
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 03:46:58 PM by Amakasu Barley Helepolis »

« Reply #171 on: December 16, 2009, 05:45:05 PM »
I have renewed faith

Suikama, try to be on #Ijiatsu more often, even if you're not ready to program anything significant we'd kinda like you to be up to speed on where things are. Not everything being done is getting reported on MotK at this point, so try and be on just to catch the conversation, at the very least.

Same goes for you too, Onthenet, but I honestly have no fucking idea what you're doing anymore so
Today is my last exam, so after this I'll be free to waste all the time I want on irc :V

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #172 on: December 16, 2009, 07:08:49 PM »
Also another thing which is actually bothering me alot. The thing I am mostly seeing in peoples spellcards is they focus too much on the spawning of the pattern instead of the final appearance. This is hard to explain but they are bothering more like drawing some nifty flower or triangle or anything. Later on the bullets just spread out which you just have to dodge. This is really a shame and imo it does not make danmaku complete. It can be a GOOD thing to make nifty patterns but they shouldn't be overdone.
An example of a good appearance is VoWG which looks beautiful but is just a dodge me attack. Then why does this spellcard feels so awesome. Because it is in balance with the music, the boss and everything. Go watch Suwa foughten field EWI flash on youtube/niconico and you'll understand it.

tl;dr:
The best attacks can be the simple ones if you put enough effort into music, theme, background, etc.

Anyways, we should find a good balance between pure dodging spells and strategic/memorization spells. I felt that EoSD had too much of the former and SA had too much of the latter, making the game feel like either a luckfest or a huge extra stage respectively.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #173 on: December 16, 2009, 07:11:44 PM »
tl;dr:
The best attacks can be the simple ones if you put enough effort into music, theme, background, etc.
You got the point. +1 Graze point for you.

Anyways, we should find a good balance between pure dodging spells and strategic/memorization spells. I felt that EoSD had too much of the former and SA had too much of the latter, making the game feel like either a luckfest or a huge extra stage respectively.
Completely agree. I felt PCB and IN had the best overal balance in these kind of spellcards.

Slaves

• uHHH,
  • uHHHHHHHHHH,,,
« Reply #174 on: December 16, 2009, 07:16:45 PM »
the only ideas i have so far for me are:

1)Minidrakes. lots of them.
2)SHUT UP CHEN
3)Survival card will involve notebook paper. i'll draw what i want it to look like later, but it's sort of similar to Ran/Yukari's survival.

Moerin

• What's punk? It's an explosion of suppressed dissatisfaction.
  • It's the roar of the soul!
« Reply #175 on: December 16, 2009, 07:29:26 PM »
Well, I've been trying to brainstorm a few ideas for spellcards, but most of the ideas I come up with are either too complicated or just downright silly and awkward.  Sigh.

Added to that the fact that a lot of them seem to involve familiars makes me a bit worried that if all of them were included, I might end up with a meme about the fact that I seemingly can't fight on my own.  Gah.  Although I'd like to still include three of these cards (a currently nameless one involving Nobu and Mode, "Chekov's Gun" involving Jan and, of course, the one involving Rin).

The real problem I'm having with coming up with concepts is the fact that, being the final boss, I have to include at least some degree of seriousness.  This makes my idea of having a card that fires death fairies rather than bullets a bit out of place in my eyes... Sigh.  And then there's the fact that I want to have "Wind Sign" and "Flower Sign" cards for obvious reasons, and so need to think of how to fit those concepts in...  Ahah~

As for patterns, that's even more of a problem as I have no idea where to start with concepts for those.

...Gah, just ignore me for now.  This is little more than a self-centered rant anyway, and it's not like you need to focus on my cards right at this moment, seeing where I'm placed in the game.
The solution to all of life's problems!

#1 Rin Satsuki Fan~♥
"For hearts long lost and full of fright, for those alone in blackest night, accept our ring and join our fight... Love Conquers All -  with violet light!"

CK Crash

• boozer
« Reply #176 on: December 16, 2009, 08:34:29 PM »
Quote from: Drake
some stuff about extra arguments for enemies
Wouldn't it make LOADS more sense just to use an array for the argument? Seriously, GetArgument[0] works perfectly fine.

Toasty

« Reply #177 on: December 16, 2009, 10:33:43 PM »
tl;dr i vant spellcard concepts

They're easy :V

http://img690.imageshack.us/img690/2153/sperrocardo.jpg

Excuse the atrocious handwriting. I did it in 5 minutes.

« Reply #178 on: December 16, 2009, 10:39:45 PM »
Totally can't follow that at all, Toast  :-X

Also uh, hello guests. How are we all today?
« Last Edit: December 16, 2009, 10:45:08 PM by Naut »

Toasty

« Reply #179 on: December 16, 2009, 10:46:20 PM »
Totally can't follow that at all, Toast  :-X

D:

Alright, so the boss sits in the middle, shoots out a rotating ring of big circular danmaku, followed quickly by a fast moving spiral, enough to cover the screen for a short moment, while the familiar flies around, stopping at each corner and firing a fan like spread at the player, and stopping in between corners to shoot a laser. The direction of the pinwheely thing from the boss switches after every firing cycle. Inspiration taken from border of wave and motion, although, well, not being al lwave and motionly. Because the bullets head straight, and thus the dodging isn;t inmpossible, but move fast enough that i you don't look at that pattern and figure it out, you die. The rotating rings move slower than everything else.

*phew*