Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions 5: Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 221931 times)

Goomba98

• Touhou ga daisuki!
Re: Miscellaneous Questions 5: Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #360 on: September 28, 2014, 10:17:30 PM »
Why is it that the majority of Bad Apple remixes contain parts of the Alstroemeria Records version? Can you list some that don't?

« Reply #361 on: September 29, 2014, 07:57:30 AM »
Might this be what you seek?

- Does it also work with touhou 10.5?

Is there anyone who can gives some sort of summary about what the creator of this fan-made touhou series is talking.
- https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uTASzD4Iqek

I kind of understand some parts but for the rest it's a bit too much for me. So, if there anyone who could give a detail descriptions of what is going that would really help.
Thanks for your time.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 02:30:53 PM by Biakmon »

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #362 on: September 29, 2014, 12:54:55 PM »
Has Kasen ever shown any fighting capabilities?

Thanks in advance!

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #363 on: September 29, 2014, 01:02:27 PM »
Has Kasen ever shown any fighting capabilities?

Thanks in advance!
She's been shown killing evil spirits and baby-lightning-dragon things with that weird arm of hers. She also beat up some hobgoblins off-screen, though that doesn't seem much of an achievement. And she seems pretty good at "spells" for lack of a better word (not the stuff magicians use, just shaping her energy to create different effects). Presumably she's about as strong as Suika and Yuugi - i.e. pretty damn strong - which is backed up by Miko saying she radiates power far beyond her own.
« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 01:15:33 PM by Prime32 »

« Reply #364 on: September 29, 2014, 02:45:23 PM »
...and baby-lightning-dragon things with that weird arm of hers. Presumably she's about as strong as Suika and Yuugi - i.e. pretty damn strong - which is backed up by Miko saying she radiates power far beyond her own.

Could you clarify a bit the parts in bold 1) what did she do with the baby-lightning-dragon things with that weird arm of hers exactly? i.e summoning it out of nowhere...
                                                                            2) Is this the link that you say backed up the statement that she is presumably as strong as those Oni Devas? - http://bato.to/read/_/201119/touhou-ibarakasen-wild-and-horned-hermit_v4_ch18_by_no-group/16

- Can fairies (apart from the 3 fairy of light) and/or youkai in general change there form/physical appearance ... or at least change the way other people perceive them to look like, without using their power/ability (like Nue)?

Prime32

• Munch-Munch Demon
« Reply #365 on: September 29, 2014, 02:58:00 PM »
Could you clarify a bit the parts in bold 1) what did she do with the baby-lightning-dragon things with that weird arm of hers exactly? i.e summoning it out of nowhere...
It's from the most recent WaHH chapter.
Spoiler:
There's a lizard with the potential to grow into a dragon, which flies around as a ball of lightning that's implied to disintegrate things on contact. Kasen grabs it without being harmed, stabs her other hand into it and rips out its liver, causing it to explode.

2) Is this the link that you say backed up the statement that she is presumably as strong as those Oni Devas? - http://bato.to/read/_/201119/touhou-ibarakasen-wild-and-horned-hermit_v4_ch18_by_no-group/16
Well that and the constant implications that she used to be a member of their group herself.

« Reply #366 on: September 29, 2014, 04:30:43 PM »
Spoiler:
There's a lizard with the potential to grow into a dragon, which flies around as a ball of lightning that's implied to disintegrate things on contact. Kasen grabs it without being harmed, stabs her other hand into it and rips out its liver, causing it to explode.

In other words she punched a lightning bolt, which was also a dragon.

She follows the oni tradition of casually doing the impossible.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #367 on: September 29, 2014, 07:42:22 PM »
Spoiler:
jesus fucking christ that's probably the most hardcore thing any touhou character has ever done (on-screen at least)

- Can fairies (apart from the 3 fairy of light) and/or youkai in general change there form/physical appearance ... or at least change the way other people perceive them to look like, without using their power/ability (like Nue)?
Outside of beast youkai turning into their animals forms (implied to be a characteristic they all share, even though we've only seen Rin doing it), it doesn't seem like they can.

Aya and Hatate have been show to have wings in BAjR, PMiSS and SoPM (and probably in other works that I'm not remembering) but never in the main games, and some wolf tengu have wolf ears while others don't in certain pics in SoPM; if you really wanna stretch it, you could say the Tengu at least can hide their more animalistic features if they want.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2014, 06:43:48 PM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #368 on: September 30, 2014, 02:20:14 PM »
You know, speaking of Aya's PMiSS article from the previous page, there's one part that has always bugged me:
Her fan is a tool that allows her to summon the wind. One sweep of the fan can blow over a house, two sweeps can blow over a large tree and three sweeps can cause a traveler's cloak to fly away.

So it takes more effort to do less damage? I don't get this, and it irks me the way people who say "for all intensive purposes" irk me. Is there any canonical explanation for this beyond "because ZUN"?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

BB

• Typewriter Youkai
« Reply #369 on: September 30, 2014, 05:07:04 PM »
At a guess, I'd say it was reference to the Aesop fable The North Wind And The Sun:

The story concerns a competition between the North wind and the Sun to decide which is the stronger of the two. The challenge was to make a passing traveler remove his cloak. However hard the North Wind blew, the traveler only wrapped his cloak tighter to keep warm, but when the Sun shone, the traveler was overcome with heat and had to take his cloak off.

In other words, her wind power rivals that of the North Wind.
Touhou fan since 2008.

Faves quicklist:
Yukari - Byakuren - Lily White - PCB - UFO - Necrofantasia - Cosmic Mind - Shining Needle - not into the fighters - not into score play - enjoy storytelling and theorycraft

Tengukami

« Reply #370 on: September 30, 2014, 05:09:21 PM »
Would ZUN reference Aesop's fables? I reckon it's possible - has he done it before?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

BB

• Typewriter Youkai
« Reply #371 on: October 01, 2014, 03:11:46 PM »
I searched aesop on the Touhouwiki and it gave me exactly one result- funnily enough from StB- so I guess he at least knows about them. I'm not gonna call myself an expert on the stories though :V

A question of my own- I remember a few years ago there was a neat gizmo called Touhou Clock (actually, I think it was spelled Toho) that appears to be offline. It was a cool gadget that played music with a beep for every second, and played a 5 second animation every 10 seconds (words!). The song would change each minute and the location in Gensokyo the music and animations were from would change on the hour. I can find the music online but it's not the same without the rest of the package- does anyone know if it's mirrored somewhere?
« Last Edit: October 01, 2014, 03:13:44 PM by BB »
Touhou fan since 2008.

Faves quicklist:
Yukari - Byakuren - Lily White - PCB - UFO - Necrofantasia - Cosmic Mind - Shining Needle - not into the fighters - not into score play - enjoy storytelling and theorycraft

« Reply #372 on: October 01, 2014, 04:53:10 PM »
Can anyone confirm the accuracy of the translation below in italics? From reading the translation in other site I get a different meaning.

Original - 土地を離れると信仰を失うが、その地限定では広域の神様よりも(仮に最高神クラスだとしてもそれ以上の)力を持つ事は少なくない。
Translation taken from SoPm, touhouwiki.net - When they are separated from their land, they lose their faith, but within their area, it's not uncommon for them to have more power than wide-ranging (and perhaps even the highest level of) gods.

- Also did the front page of the site change, i.e become larger and more white?

Tengukami

« Reply #373 on: October 01, 2014, 04:55:57 PM »
Also did the front page of the site change, i.e become larger and more white?

https://www.shrinemaiden.org/forum/index.php/topic,17420.0.html

Currently in Grandma Friendly Mode.

Drake

« Reply #374 on: October 01, 2014, 08:30:23 PM »
Can anyone confirm the accuracy of the translation below in italics? From reading the translation in other site I get a different meaning.

Original - 土地を離れると信仰を失うが、その地限定では広域の神様よりも(仮に最高神クラスだとしてもそれ以上の)力を持つ事は少なくない。
Translation taken from SoPm, touhouwiki.net - When they are separated from their land, they lose their faith, but within their area, it's not uncommon for them to have more power than wide-ranging (and perhaps even the highest level of) gods.
It's accurate. I assume this part is what you want broken down:
最高神クラス = "highest-class gods"
仮に(...)としても = "even if (...)", "even granting that (...)", "even supposing (...)", etc
それ以上 = "greater than that"
It's saying that gods native to an area can possess so much faith that within that area they can have more power than "popular" gods, even ones that are usually considered to be the most "powerful". It's closely tied to the notion of a god's faith = influence = power.

This explanation mostly refers to gods that have become revered in single or isolated areas, where it's as if the whole population worships the particular god; even if another more widely-known god becomes introduced to the area through e.g. neighbouring provinces, the devotion to the original god in many cases will remain the lead role. That being said, this concept is where the relationship of Suwako and Kanako essentially comes from (Kanako's influence "invading" Suwako's territory) and why it's so significant that Suwako "lost". Maybe that puts it into context a bit.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #375 on: October 02, 2014, 11:26:55 AM »
A question of my own- I remember a few years ago there was a neat gizmo called Touhou Clock (actually, I think it was spelled Toho) that appears to be offline. It was a cool gadget that played music with a beep for every second, and played a 5 second animation every 10 seconds (words!). The song would change each minute and the location in Gensokyo the music and animations were from would change on the hour. I can find the music online but it's not the same without the rest of the package- does anyone know if it's mirrored somewhere?
Unfortunately, there isn't a mirror.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #376 on: October 02, 2014, 04:55:18 PM »
In touhou wiki, Yuuka profile, it written that "Eiki said "let's make it as clear as black and white who of us is the strongest in Gensokyo" but should not that be Yuuka who said that to Eiki in touhou 9 PoFV?

When did the nickname "ZUN" become popular?

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #377 on: October 02, 2014, 05:04:17 PM »
In touhou wiki, Yuuka profile, it written that "Eiki said "let's make it as clear as black and white who of us is the strongest in Gensokyo" but should not that be Yuuka who said that to Eiki in touhou 9 PoFV?
Yeah, it's Yuuka who says that, not Eiki.

When did the nickname "ZUN" become popular?
According to the wiki, it's been his nickname since childhood. It's the short form of his real name.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #378 on: October 06, 2014, 08:52:12 PM »
In WaHH chapter 19, Sanae mentioned three people in relation to her sake. Who exactly are they, and what kind of their deeds could be attributed to sake?

« Reply #379 on: October 15, 2014, 10:36:51 PM »
What exactly are Reimu's Persuasion Needles?

The talismans that Reimu throws around are Ofuda. That much I know, and they're a part of Shinto. But what are her needles? I'm assuming that they also relate to/come from Shinto as well, but I know nothing about Shinto and don't even know how to search for something like this.

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #380 on: October 15, 2014, 11:18:48 PM »
This has been asked in Misc. Questions thread before. Japanese fans are also puzzled by them, as they are not strongly associated to Shintoism.

In short: I think, but isn't sure, that needles are used in some Shinto magical seals - e.g. using needles to affix a paper talisman on buildings - I still need a clear source on that.

The idea of needles as weapon, probably comes from acupuncture needles, which are used as a projectile weapon in Chinese martial arts ("wuxia") fiction. A clue is in Yukari, who's the only other needle user. Yukari's SA weapon is called 頂門紫針, which comes from the idiom 頂門一針, referring to acupuncture needles.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 11:25:39 PM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

« Reply #381 on: October 15, 2014, 11:22:02 PM »
Yeah I just noticed that thread shortly after making this one. And I couldn't delete this one. Oops.

Thanks for the answer.

Keegster2

• Green shroom
  • The guy that was dead for like 5 years
« Reply #382 on: October 18, 2014, 01:48:48 AM »
Do any of the characters have specific birthdays, or is the release date of the game each character debuted in the best we have to their birthdays?
"I'll give you old-timey, you mountebank!"

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #383 on: October 18, 2014, 02:25:40 AM »
Since Miko is Prince Shotoku, I think it's safe to say her birthday is in the same date that's attributed to his, which is February 7. Other than that, we don't know the birthdays of anyone else.

I don't think you can even pinpoint the "birthday" of a youkai anyway, considering their nature as manifestations of humanity's fears.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2014, 02:29:58 AM by Sagus »
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

« Reply #384 on: October 18, 2014, 01:41:40 PM »
Wiki lists Akyuu's birthday as August 1994. I think that's as close as it gets for most people.

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
« Reply #385 on: October 18, 2014, 04:49:09 PM »
Wiki lists Akyuu's birthday as August 1994. I think that's as close as it gets for most people.
Yeah, and even that date is a large point of discussion, since it's based on Aya's article about the Child of Miare's birth, yet the picture shown isn't of baby Akyuu. Some argue that it could be her mother, others that when they say "birth" it means that it's when Akyuu first showed signs of being the current incarnation of Are, so it didn't refer to her actual physical birth. There was a discussion about it in one of these "questions" thread.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs

My fanfics.

Camilo113

• Luck, Resilience and Perseverance
  • Gensokyo is capable of change
« Reply #386 on: October 19, 2014, 09:28:19 PM »
I can't recall it correctly but I remember I read that Sakuya used her powers to accelerate time (Pucci plz) such as making bamboo flowers bloom instantly. My question is, when does this happens? I already read all the official books and mangas but I don't remember seeing Sakuya being Made in Heaven, but it might be me....  ??? ???

« Reply #387 on: October 19, 2014, 11:31:53 PM »
I can't recall it correctly but I remember I read that Sakuya used her powers to accelerate time (Pucci plz) such as making bamboo flowers bloom instantly. My question is, when does this happens? I already read all the official books and mangas but I don't remember seeing Sakuya being Made in Heaven, but it might be me....  ??? ???

It's mentioned in SSIB that she can age wines instantly (using the word "vintage" incorrectly).

« Reply #388 on: October 20, 2014, 12:03:05 AM »
I think it's in one of Marisa's EoSD endings that Sakuya accelerates time to make bamboo flowers.

Drake

« Reply #389 on: October 20, 2014, 01:45:12 AM »
confirming it's ending 5 with MarisaA

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -