Author Topic: No Game No Life  (Read 36470 times)

Espadas

• You're gonna have a bad time
Re: No Game No Life
« Reply #60 on: April 29, 2014, 08:58:29 AM »
I'll try to answer your doubts ^^

I... raged so hard about this anime. On the first two episodes I'll just say that if Steph thinks winning a game of rock paper scissors makes someone a genius then I expect I won't find anything in this show even remotely entertaining. Luckily I don't think Steph knows what she's talking about so I'll just move on.

And you think right :P Steph have qualities that will come out later but being good at games and being a good judge of other people's motives/character she is NOT.
Although remember that she is not a "normal" human, she comes from a world where EVERYTHING is judged by games..... someone very skilled at them is basically seen as a mix between a rockstar, a worthy leader and a role model.

Let me illustrate what I meant in the first paragraph. Sora picks apart Clammy's entire angle, both about how the system to pass on the crown is dumb, how she's exploiting it, and how her attempt to exploit it is dumb. Great, glad our main character picked up on that. However, later in the chess game Sora has a break down after not considering that the veiled girl would cheat again and in a different way. I think he even says something along the lines of not thinking she could do anything other then change the suits on cards. Its like one step forward and two steps back with this guy.

Uh, this i honestly don't understand. Do you WANT him to be a boring invincible chessmaster that outwit without fail every single trick of every single opponent?
He is not perfect. Besides, magic is an IMMENSE advantage. The possibilities to cheat/influence the games are almost infinite, do you really expect him to grasp every single nuance of something so powerful not even 3 days after being tossed in that world?

@Espadas: I appreciate you sharing stuff from the books to help fill in some holes. I just want to point out that you shouldn't expect that to make the anime better since... it should probably stand on its own two feet. Also in the list of 3 rules, 2 isn't something you can enforce on yourself and 3 sounds like a horrible rule but I'm sure there's some reason for it.

Rule 2 is obviously what they THINK, not what reality is, but is kind of justified in their eyes. They have NEVER been defeated in ANY kind of game, Shiro can easily defeat the greatest masters and even the greatest computers in the most famous strategy game, together they have actually beaten the freaking GOD of a WORLD OF GAMES..... That kind of give you justification for being prideful ^^

Rule 3 is because of their upbringing. In the near future there is a very important discussion between Sora and an upcoming character that explain their reasons. Basically is this:
Spoiler:
when the entire world look at you either as an hopeless failure (Sora) or a supergenius to experiment on (Shiro), if you finally meet someone who aknowledge you for what you are you latch onto him and tell the others to go screw themselves. And humanity have repeatedly shown in the real world that they make stupid decisions and have stupid "rules" in their lives. In the end, and i almost quote Sora, "humanity have the potential to be incredibly wise or incredibly foolish. Too bad they almost always choose the latter...", hence their disdain for humans.
Sora had basically given up on humanity until he met Shiro. In his eyes she is the living proof that there is a minuscule possibility for humanity of being something worthy.
Shiro had closed herself off from the world when even her parents were basically strangers to her that only wanted to understand her incredible brain, until she met Sora. He was the only one to understand her situation and accept her without judgind.

They basically put each other on a higher pedestral compared to themselves. Sora sees Shiro as the epitome of humanity's potential, and he try his best to be worthy of her, Shiro sees Sora as the only living being capable of understanding what even her cannot solve with her logic, and her only desire is to stay close to him.

Jeez, this turned into a wall of text.... :-/

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #61 on: April 29, 2014, 02:09:22 PM »
Honestly it kinda bothers me when people read into stuff like this anime way too much. I'm just enjoying the art and humour (which are both fantastic) and not really caring if the story has a few nonsense parts in it (it's a fantasy world with magic, there's probably going to be a few strange things going on).
It's a real downer when someone comes in and complains that it isn't perfect or that the characters make obvious mistakes or that they don't like the perceived message the anime is trying to convey. Like, that's when I can tell they're taking it too seriously.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #62 on: April 29, 2014, 02:40:55 PM »
I don't see why complaining that the characters are boring or flawed in some way is "reading too much" into it. I don't really like the main guy either but the wacky hijinks are at least interesting.

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #63 on: April 29, 2014, 04:05:28 PM »
I don't see why complaining that the characters are boring or flawed in some way is "reading too much" into it. I don't really like the main guy either but the wacky hijinks are at least interesting.

I agree with all of this. It kinda bothers me when people bring up the whole "don't read into anything" thing. Why bother if you're not going to read into it? Don't downgrade your standards. It's okay to not like things, or parts of things.

That said, this show has made me laugh out loud every episode so far, so I'm going to keep watching for now despite problems. Doesn't mean I shouldn't talk about the problems.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #64 on: April 29, 2014, 04:27:59 PM »
I dunno, but I guess presentation and execution are problems which we are having here. From what I've managed to understand the characters, while having exaggerated qualities like in any other fictional work, does have ample clues and crumbs building up to the behavior of which you see. Perhaps its due to theres too much going on the screen, or you got swarmed by the gags and jokes and missed the tiny details, or hell, shiny graphics. Either way from my point of view the show's characters are certainly not as detached from reality as you may think, here are my responses;

1.Rock-paper-scissors was exaggerated
-To be honest here I do not really understand how do you perceive this as silly. Because looking back at this little game at the first-person point of view, this Janken was a rapid Xanatos Chess level mind screw deployed by the male protag. Let us not forget Sora was approached by Steph in the midst of the night, right after waking up. To drive the point home he was even cuddling Shiro in the very bed they were sleeping on a minute earlier, Sora essentially guessed Steph's character (being brash and emotional) from a really short conversation, and determined a game which Steph would happily accept and Sora could swing it in his favour predictably. All this done in probably less than an hour. And again do not forget the biggest trap in the game was that the penalty for Steph whether she lost or tied were the same. This was not realized by Steph beforehand, and intentionally done by Sora. Steph had every reason to assume Sora is a brilliant tactician (which he is).

in a nutshell i don't understand your point so i restated in detail everything that happened minus the boobies in words so hopefully its more understandable this way

------
 2: Because Sora understood the King's Gambit was easily exploitable he was super dumb to have broken down when magic, which is something foreign to him, being used as an alternative way to cheat

I think the title pretty much held what I wanted to comment on already, you can't deal with what you have no experience in. In the same way you don't expect even a barrister to perform simple surgeon duties or summat. I won't spend time detailing on this since this is a really simple and straightforward concept. The two examples weren't connected at all.

As for the breakdown being exaggerated, we are discussing about the guy who would cower in fear and babble incoherently simply being out of sight with his sister. It is therefore apparent that it is Sora's (the siblings', actually) weaknesses as implied and brought up that they not only must stick to eachother, but cannot afford to have anything to go wrong. From their philosophy regarding playing games ''[] must not lose!'' to ''The world is a crappy game. (because there are no rules and everyone makes their ''moves'' sporadically)'' we can see a great deal into how dedicated and almost dangerously passionate the two are to maintain their ''perfect'' self-image at least in games. The sheer thought of losing and to lose their only emotional comfort zone is  unbearable and unimaginable to them, hence breakdowns. The thing is that since the siblings talents compliment each other like Yin and Yang, when one is unsure, chances are that the other is, as you may recall that when Shiro broke down due to things not going her way, Sora reminded her that this was not her field of expertise and it was pointless to be hard on herself. Similarly, it also applied to Sora when he broke down himself due to magic being used. Therefore in my humble point of view I actually see episode 3 as a great way to cap off the character development of the protagonists by being the climax of all the dropped and implied hints at their strengths and weaknesses.

Yeah thats about it. Hopefully you will keep watching the show!
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 04:29:30 PM by Darkninjaabc »
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #65 on: April 29, 2014, 05:12:16 PM »
I agree with all of this. It kinda bothers me when people bring up the whole "don't read into anything" thing. Why bother if you're not going to read into it? Don't downgrade your standards. It's okay to not like things, or parts of things.
It baffles me why people would read so deep into this, though. Maybe because I'm watching it mostly because it's entertaining and funny, not because I'm looking for an air-tight sealed piece of nuanced fiction, in which characters can have no faults, most dramatic and well-written story of all time etc etc etc
Maybe I just have bad taste or something.
Kilga is this right; like is this person seriously the player, and it's not some alias or something that's designed to be deliberately obfuscating? NekoNekoRex. Who the hell is that :C   ~Poya Aaaa (Serela), Bunny Must Die Mafia

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #66 on: April 29, 2014, 05:35:49 PM »
tbh the first episode drawn me in the novels because its awesome and now i am diehard 1337 for the air tight perfect flawless fabugorgerlous story.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
  • Idiot Deity 2013 - 2014 RIP
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #67 on: April 30, 2014, 09:51:22 AM »
where is today episode

<Nietz> Anyway, sex toys alone won't come up to 11k.
[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2014, 03:58:34 AM »
its awesome

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2014, 06:14:33 AM »
Brb
Spoiler:
playing Civ V so I can be a successful King of an entire race

Espadas

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2014, 09:03:44 AM »
A little spoiler that will probably increase your desire for the next episode: in the latest episode at one point we get an eyeful of an impressive pair of
Spoiler:
angelic
boobs (not Steph's..... despite them being impressive too /drool....)
She is the next character to be introduced  :*

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2014, 03:14:59 PM »
It baffles me why people would read so deep into this, though. Maybe because I'm watching it mostly because it's entertaining and funny, not because I'm looking for an air-tight sealed piece of nuanced fiction, in which characters can have no faults, most dramatic and well-written story of all time etc etc etc
Maybe I just have bad taste or something.

I usually do the same as you. I watch stuff to relax and have fun.

That said, things are getting interesting. Lookin' forward for the next episode~ ^-^

Sweetness and love~ ♥

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2014, 05:14:32 PM »
I didn't enjoy this episode much. It felt like it spent a lot of time reiterating things we knew already and generally not being that funny. However it did set up a definite goal and endpoint for the series, so good on that.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #73 on: May 07, 2014, 08:15:55 PM »
Oh man.

Steph.

Oh man.  What are you doing.

Spoiler:
Also, HILARIOUS ENGRISH YUKARI TAMURA ANGEL

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #74 on: May 07, 2014, 11:24:19 PM »

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #75 on: May 07, 2014, 11:38:17 PM »
Fucking angels.
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #76 on: May 07, 2014, 11:42:40 PM »
Fucking angels.

I'm sure they will eventually.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #77 on: May 08, 2014, 03:36:38 PM »
Yes time for some Angel Boobies

And obligatory
Spoiler:
beach scene
if this fight follows the LN

[18:48] <Warma> There must have been a new depth, where you've sunk as a person. Then you dug through that.

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2014, 03:57:03 AM »
Lewd as fuck.
e: I don't care how much of that shiritori actually made sense it was fucking great.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 04:11:33 AM by Amra »
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

Fetch()tirade

• serial time-waster
« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2014, 04:01:29 AM »
Casting Yukarin as Jibril was a fantastic decision. That everything.

[Y]oukai [J]esus

• "MotK's 1%" (?)
    • Muh Writings
« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2014, 04:09:54 AM »
Completely satisfied with the anime adaptation, for one who reads the LNs.

I just wished they put a little Sanity Meter when
Spoiler:
Steph was being chased by (a) Lovecraftian horror

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2014, 09:20:57 AM »
This episode made my lolicon side happy... Also
Spoiler:
wingboners

NekoNekoRex

• Catgirls are Charming!
  • Catgirl Enthusiast
« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2014, 04:20:20 PM »
Welp, my sides are gone.

EDIT: "I used to be a gamer like you, then I took an arrow to the knee. [sic]" (after the credits)
Wow, they're just showing off, now.

PX

• School Idol?
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2014, 06:33:04 PM »
Completely satisfied with the anime adaptation, for one who reads the LNs.

I just wished they put a little Sanity Meter when
Spoiler:
Steph was being chased by (a) Lovecraftian horror
\(・ω・\)SAN値!(/・ω・)/ピンチ!

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #84 on: May 16, 2014, 12:43:36 AM »
Ugh. This episode grossed me out. Think I'm done. Also it wasn't that interesting aside from the gross fanservice.

Gpop

• Subconscious Rose Girl, Koishi
  • FIRST PLACE BAYBEE!
« Reply #85 on: May 16, 2014, 03:09:19 AM »
Ugh. This episode grossed me out. Think I'm done. Also it wasn't that interesting aside from the gross fanservice.
Considering this anime is classified under "ecchi" did you expect anything else?

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #86 on: May 16, 2014, 03:29:39 AM »
Considering this anime is classified under "ecchi" did you expect anything else?

I could barely handle it up to now. This was inevitable.

Espadas

« Reply #87 on: May 16, 2014, 08:29:31 AM »
The entire episode was hilarious and really well done for me, although they left out one litte exchange that would have been useful.... are they trying to make Sora even more perverted than he already is?

In the LN
Spoiler:
Sora used the word "pussy" (LITERALLY) not just because he is a pervert or to distract Jibril, but to check if the words used could physically affect the players without stopping them from playing..... it was an important step(h) to prepare his trap but they glossed over it....

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #88 on: May 22, 2014, 06:01:04 AM »
nothing much happened i guess

« Reply #89 on: May 22, 2014, 08:40:35 AM »
I could barely handle it up to now. This was inevitable.

It doesn't feel forced though. Like in ... SAO... which was a shitty anime at the end.
The reason for this might be, that the protagonist is already potrait as being a pervert :V