Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread  (Read 225093 times)

Re: Touhou Blogging Thread
« Reply #900 on: January 12, 2016, 06:41:05 PM »
So if I wanted to Lunatic 1cc DDC, between ReimuB, MarisaA, and SakuyaA, who's a good character to go with? I feel like ReimuB is the safe choice, but I also really like the other two...Sakuya's bombs are a big turn-off, but her damage output against bosses is ridiculous.

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #901 on: January 12, 2016, 11:53:58 PM »
So if I wanted to Lunatic 1cc DDC, between ReimuB, MarisaA, and SakuyaA, who's a good character to go with? I feel like ReimuB is the safe choice, but I also really like the other two...Sakuya's bombs are a big turn-off, but her damage output against bosses is ridiculous.

The two best shot-types are ReimuA and SakuyaA.
ReimuA has a powerful bomb, powerful focused homing and good unfocused homing to make PoCing and stages easier while not suffering very much on bosses, as well as standard Reimu things like smaller hitbox.
SakuyaA has lel-knives, and her bomb is ridiculous because you can get two auto-collects from it - which means you can potentially get two 2.0s for 2/3 of a life right there!
Moreover the lack of damage output rarely matters because the bomb functions as an elongated invincibility time anyway.

Both are powerful, have utility that helps against bosses AND stages, and ReimuA has the funniest bomb ever.

So basically of the three you choose go with SakuyaA :V

As for the others...

MarisaA has high damage and a very powerful bomb but little to note beyond that. Fire can't reach top of the screen from the bottom, lasers don't penetrate since TD.

And isn't ReimuB's damage low in DDC or something? I don't know, I barely use it -shrug- though it's always a safe choice given Amulets + Needles in one shot-type... how can one NOT be comfortable with that?
Someone who's used ReimuB more could give a more informed opinion.
Better than SakuyaB anyway :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2016, 11:55:50 PM by Nolegs the Cat »

« Reply #902 on: January 13, 2016, 01:04:09 AM »
And nobody talks about the broken ex-nihilo farming mechanics of Marisa-B.
Lunatic 1cc: 6, 7, 10, and 11 with All Shots; 8 with All Teams & Both Routes; 12, 13, 14
Extra Modes Clear (All Shots): 6 (0-3), 7, 8 (0-3), 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Other: 9.5 & 12.5 All Clear; Have tried 7.5, 9, 12.8, and a few fan games
Currently working on: Maybe I'll try IN solos or something
Score? Survival? Who cares - it's bullet-dodging catharsis, and I didn't even continue~!! *dances*

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #903 on: January 13, 2016, 02:17:45 AM »
And isn't ReimuB's damage low in DDC or something? I don't know, I barely use it -shrug- though it's always a safe choice given Amulets + Needles in one shot-type... how can one NOT be comfortable with that?
Someone who's used ReimuB more could give a more informed opinion.
o/

ReimuB's damage is only low comparatively speaking, mostly because ReimuA and SakuyaA exist, so it's not like it's "terrible", but it can make a difference. There are some attacks where you get unusually close to timing them out (as in, less than 10 seconds left), which isn't so bad in itself as long as you stay under the boss, but the real issue is just letting tough attacks last for too long (Seija is arguably the worst with this because of how uncomfortable her attacks are). And having amulets isn't exactly that big of a boon because, again, ReimuA exists. I mainly use ReimuB because that's the playstyle I'm used to from other games, and because I don't mind the challenge of longer attacks as much, but if you want a first Lunatic 1cc you'd probably be better off with ReimuA or SakuyaA.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #904 on: January 13, 2016, 04:52:55 PM »
I'm verily happy that Ever taught me that new way to handle LFS (only works with ReimuA and Marisa shots) in which you go to the left after the second yellow wave begins, misdirecting the first purple wave and causing the red and purple waves after to not clutter. Paves the way for a safe capture a lot of the time nowadays. :)

I should really go for UFO LNB soon.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2016, 11:35:40 PM by ZM »

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #905 on: January 14, 2016, 11:17:20 AM »
So I'm going for a perfect run of BoSM stage 3 lunatic at the moment.
Lack of spell practice is annoying.
I'll get it eventually.
Just wish the stage wasn't so trivial in comparison to Shelia herself =/
Also midboss Shelia has a safespot on lunatic and probably hard. Huh.

« Reply #906 on: January 24, 2016, 10:21:10 AM »
About a few months ago, I beat all Touhou games (including PC-98 ones) on Normal.
Soon moved on to Hard, already beaten LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA and TD.

Now, my next goal is DDC, but I hate it so much, mostly because of the stupid PoC mechanic.
I mean, even Raiko is easier than Hard Mode in that game.
I'm still trying to figure out how to PoC without dying to a random stray bullet or ramming into a fairy...
Lunatic 1CCs: PCB, IN, PoFV, HSiFS
Extra: All except PC-98.

Oh hey look I can do DNH scrips.

« Reply #907 on: January 25, 2016, 10:18:07 AM »
If you're just trying to 1cc the best way to poc is to bomb.... I'm not kidding

« Reply #908 on: January 25, 2016, 02:23:01 PM »
If you're just trying to 1cc the best way to poc is to bomb.... I'm not kidding

I guess, but I'm quite stingy with resources. I want to get bombs by PoC'ing, not waste them.
Although come to think of it, it could be a good way to get lives by getting 2.0 bonus every time.
Lunatic 1CCs: PCB, IN, PoFV, HSiFS
Extra: All except PC-98.

Oh hey look I can do DNH scrips.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #909 on: January 25, 2016, 06:15:57 PM »
If you're desperate to get resources, you could always memorise when to PoC for optimal results. You can get 8 reserve lives in the middle of stage 3 if done right, no bombing needed (assuming you can capture every boss attack :V) . You really shouldn't need to memorise every PoC if you just want a 1cc, but maybe a few would be useful just to get an extra few lives in the easier section of the game. You also don't need to get 8 reserve lives that early either, if it wasn't clear.

« Reply #910 on: January 25, 2016, 07:22:10 PM »
I just want to pop in and say how much fucking *fun* I'm having with DDC, especially stage 3. This is what I want in my Touhou games-- good ol' dodging, without all the gimmicks. Don't get me wrong, I love PCB and the Supernatural Borders, or MoF's faith meter, but DDC is so...simple! I'm having a blast.

« Reply #911 on: January 26, 2016, 12:43:03 AM »
I just want to pop in and say how much fucking *fun* I'm having with DDC, especially stage 3. This is what I want in my Touhou games-- good ol' dodging, without all the gimmicks. Don't get me wrong, I love PCB and the Supernatural Borders, or MoF's faith meter, but DDC is so...simple! I'm having a blast.

Hey now, you forgot UFO - the best good ol' dodging you'll ever get in Touhou!!
Lunatic 1cc: 6, 7, 10, and 11 with All Shots; 8 with All Teams & Both Routes; 12, 13, 14
Extra Modes Clear (All Shots): 6 (0-3), 7, 8 (0-3), 10, 11, 12, 13, 14
Other: 9.5 & 12.5 All Clear; Have tried 7.5, 9, 12.8, and a few fan games
Currently working on: Maybe I'll try IN solos or something
Score? Survival? Who cares - it's bullet-dodging catharsis, and I didn't even continue~!! *dances*

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #912 on: January 29, 2016, 03:14:10 AM »
I'm trying out new recording software. This time, a PCB extra attempt recorded using Dxtory trial version. What do you guys recommend for general, all purpose recording that is also free?

Video should be here once it's done processing. In 3 hours.

EDIT: Use this link, the upload failed overnight.

EDIT EDIT: Use this one now. The others took forever to upload, so I compressed to mp4.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2016, 03:24:18 AM by Failure McFailFace »
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #913 on: January 29, 2016, 12:15:35 PM »
I've been using OBS.  I haven't used that many different programs, but OBS is the first recording software that I actually like using.  It has got me recording footage far more often than I ever imagined.

I haven't tried Dxtory yet.  Shadowplay is another choice that I've heard about.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #914 on: January 31, 2016, 02:46:12 PM »
So uh, I just finally got a good run of scoring Hourai Jewel. ~100 attempts of learning and practice and get 14768 time out of it (in spell practice, would be more in an actual run because of the familiars). Then I go look up what that would give me in terms of score.

Before looking up anything: I thought it was worth an extra 20-25 million.

What I learned: Time points are worth [large point items picked up/2]*10.

After looking up stuff: Gain an additional ~95 million just for picking up the time points (assuming ~1500 point items which is pessimistic). Graze (~1.5m more), a better capture bonus (~5m more) and a slightly better PIV for the last set of items puts it past 100 million. Wow I' an idiot, I really should've learned this far sooner. It wasn't even that difficult aside from 1 dodge late in the attack.

EDIT:
I' an idiot
Well I'm glad that happened.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #915 on: January 31, 2016, 04:25:06 PM »
My calculator tells me 7500 x 14700 is 110 million. Moreover, if we assume 1200 time is from the familiar cancel and you get 13500 time from the graze, that's 4500 graze. Each grazed bullet is worth 6000. By my calculation, that's 27 million, not 1.5 million.

And that doesn't account for the end game bonus yet. Hourai Jewel is worth more than what you calculated there with your numbers. Unless I'm crazy.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #916 on: January 31, 2016, 10:18:15 PM »
My calculator tells me 7500 x 14700 is 110 million. Moreover, if we assume 1200 time is from the familiar cancel and you get 13500 time from the graze, that's 4500 graze. Each grazed bullet is worth 6000. By my calculation, that's 27 million, not 1.5 million.

And that doesn't account for the end game bonus yet. Hourai Jewel is worth more than what you calculated there with your numbers. Unless I'm crazy.
I think I tried subtracting what I already get from doing it the dumb survival-esque way. Also missed how much the graze is worth when you actually get it, I think I looked at only the end game bonus AND forgot the difficulty modifier. Main point is I really should've figured this out earlier because it's worth quite a lot :V and no, you're not crazy, I'm just a moron for scoring for months and not bothering to learn where the points come from

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #917 on: January 31, 2016, 10:38:03 PM »
I think I tried subtracting what I already get from doing it the dumb survival-esque way. Also missed how much the graze is worth when you actually get it, I think I looked at only the end game bonus AND forgot the difficulty modifier. Main point is I really should've figured this out earlier because it's worth quite a lot :V and no, you're not crazy, I'm just a moron for scoring for months and not bothering to learn where the points come from

Don't worry about it. Especially the difficulty multiplier is at least something you're not alone with. When I calculated scores for the extra, I never calculated with the difficulty multiplier either. I only realized that when double checking your math, actually. So all my theoretical scores I calculated are a fair bit lower than they should be. Maybe we're the only idiots like that but I hope it's a more common mistake than that tbh. w

Generally it's just easier to calculate how much something is worth in general rather than how much something is worth more with different strats, imo. In any case, I think it's weird to have put off Hourai Jewel for this long but it's probably understandable considering that it might be the most difficult graze in the whole game. I'm waiting warmly for your 6B score w

Mr Jovial

« Reply #918 on: January 31, 2016, 11:48:04 PM »
it might be the most difficult graze in the whole game
Wait really? I thought it was mostly easy aside from some fiddly stream turns and 1 hard dodge (I think it's a ~12 frame window) near the end. What makes you think it's that difficult?

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #919 on: February 01, 2016, 12:31:11 AM »
It looks like a looser Honest Man's Death. That means if your taps are bad you lose some graze every time, so your taps have to be small enough to get much as physically possible and the same goes for the re-streams. Just switching directions isn't necessarily enough but you also still want to graze all the bullets available. Not to mention it's long so there is a lot of room for error compared to a 40 second long spell.

Maybe I'm just overestimating it based on my HMD experience but it just looks very difficult to me to do well.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #920 on: February 01, 2016, 07:14:16 PM »
Ah, it's more of a matter of doing it optimally rather than just managing to do it reasonably well. I can definitely see that, I know my reversals are rather shoddy. 15k time is possible though I tend to be around 14000-14300 or so, that 700 probably comes from reversals and last streaming section which is vertical and hard to get into. At least this doesn't melt your eyes though...

EDIT (only to prevent double post, not related to the above):
Recently went and looked at TD scoring, since that's the other game I thought I might play more of in the future. I have to say, scoring in that game isn't particularly interesting. Most boss fights are bomb/trance spam at point blank range for spirits, bit dull really. Guess that might be another reason people didn't like the game much.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 02:08:23 PM by Mr Jovial »

« Reply #921 on: February 27, 2016, 07:05:14 PM »
Realized I didn't have Extra unlocked in TD, so I did a quick Hard 1cc with Reimu and got it. I haven't played this Extra stage since the game came out, so I was going in blind. Happy to report that I made it to Mamizou using only one bomb, and managed to get halfway through her survival card before game overing.

I don't know why I disliked TD so much when it first came out. TD Extra is some of the most fun I've had with Touhou in a while.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2016, 05:04:08 AM by Sen »

Cream Soda

• stage 2 boss
« Reply #922 on: February 28, 2016, 04:45:08 PM »
I tried another Mountain of Faith score run and fell asleep during it. I'll stick to Raiden for now I guess.

ZM

• Overly Eager
  • Sanae~
« Reply #923 on: March 07, 2016, 05:43:15 AM »
I'm at the point in which I need to start scoring in UFO or maybe learning another game. Hmm. .w.

Zigzagwolf

• Kuruminist Touhou Player
« Reply #924 on: March 07, 2016, 08:29:27 AM »
Working on more Mystic Square scoring, me being sleepy all the time and drinking way too much coffee while feeling like sleeping; mainly deciding to play in calls in which I end up raging as well might not be so handy, but so far I do believe that I can get some goals done. I'm mainly interested in seeing how well Normal Mima could go, I might want to aim for Hard Reimu, not sure if I ever want to lay my hands on Yuuka.

I also had some plans regarding the extra stage, chances may exist I do something else when I act on whims since my mind can get too distracted; if that happens and I don't change what I do even if just for the moment it might take days before I feel like playing again, it's not a really good attitude but I'm well-aware of it. For now I'll stick to my goals.

As for those goals... I have no scores set in mind by default, guess I'll just give it the best shot I can.

Edited this because the first sentence I wrote literally was: "Working on more Mystic Square working" cannot be helped, I suppose I was just really sleepy when I wrote this.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2016, 08:33:45 AM by Zigzagwolf »
Raid Kappatalism for great Kurumi!

Youtube channel My Youtube channel, I hope you enjoy my Touhou runs.

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #925 on: March 23, 2016, 09:52:18 PM »
So I haven't really picked up Touhou in a while, only for LunaticNeckBeards. And I probably won't play it actively anymore to be honest. I've realized that I'm just not really capable of doing things that require lots of skillfulness. Things like LNN and scoring aren't really things that I can really handle. I mean I can if I drown enough time into it, but the amount of time put it doesn't make the achievement worth it in my eyes. Especially since with Touhou achievements, I stop really caring about the achievements I do a day after. I just simply want more. I'll never be "satisfied".

Stuff like MoF LNN isn't really that difficult. Or at least, it's not something that should take a skilled played over 6 1MNBs and 4-5 VoWG failure attempts. A good player or someone supposedly at my level should be able to achieve it fairly quickly. However, that's not something I'm capable of. Because I can't perform well under pressure. That's my biggest flaw, and it's been very prevalent even from my earlier days. PCB LNNN, for example, took me way longer than what a player should have taken. I lost 5 runs to Yuyuko, if I recall, despite the fact that she's an easy NMNB especially if you're doing survival.

A few days ago in Science Class I was really struggling with being careful while pouring a potentially harmful chemical into a funnel. I kept spilling it on my hand and had to repetitively wash my hands over and over again because of my clumsiness. I realized at that moment that I just can't perform accurately under pressure. I'm sure I could NMNB Kanako in an LNN run if I wasn't nervous, but that just won't happen. Now you can say "Well everyone gets nervous", and to that I'll say "Well some people are capable of working despite their nerves". I know some people who can perform pretty well under pressure. Some have even told me that they don't have any attachment to their runs and don't get nervous often.

I could continue scoring, but even that's not going well. UFO is the same thing over and over again. I get to stage 4 on a rare occasion and just get nervous and screw everything up. Even if I make it to Byakuren I'll just game over. And I'm only going for 2.5bil... And I really don't feel like playing PCB because it's not really possible for me to become as good as I'd want to be. Especially when there are such good players like Yu-suke continually raising the bar. If you've seen any of my scoring streams, it's just resetting over and over again and not making progress. I'm not even scoring at high tier yet. Unless you consider PCB 3bil high tier... in which I haven't even been grinding PCB at all lately.

Despite the fact that I said I was never "satisfied", honestly, I'm reaching a point where I'm satisfied with how far I've gotten in Touhou. Back then I dreamed of becoming a "legendary superplayer" like Cactu, Chum, and everyone. I would get really competitive and take it serious. I would get crushed when I failed and jealous everytime someone else succeeded. but now I just don't really care. Honestly, I've put in thousands of hours into Touhou in these past 5 years I've been playing it. I've seen and done so many things. 1ccs, scoring, I've even gotten a few LNN/LNNNs. There's not much else for me to do.

Touhou just doesn't have enough merit. I feel like it won't really help me in the real world. Sure, it fulfills a human need called "entertainment". But I'm getting entertainment out of other hobbies. Such as playing RPGs and other games to pass the time. Making music. Programming. Etc.

This isn't really a "rant" since I'm not angry or disappointed. I'm not mad at myself for not being able to get all the achievements I wanted. I realize that I'm just not as good as some of the very best players and I may never get that far. I may still stream from time to time, but probably it will only be for the sake of streaming rather than actually getting the achievement. And I'll definitely still be a part of LunaticNeckBeards. I plan to play every week for them, if I can.

Besides. I'm going to be heading into university soon. I really don't have time to spend time on Touhou when I need to start really grinding programming so I can build myself a future. And perhaps I'll maybe stop feeling sorry for myself and calling the outside world scary. Maybe I'll become a normie lol.
« Last Edit: March 23, 2016, 09:59:16 PM by Mino ☆ »

Mr Jovial

« Reply #926 on: March 23, 2016, 10:32:21 PM »
real talk
This hits quite close to home for me. Aside from minor differences, I could've said the same thing a few weeks ago, main difference is I'm actually at university. At least for what to do about Touhou, my suggestion is to ask yourself this:

Are you enjoying what you're doing? If not, figure out what you're not enjoying. It's either specific (ie MoF LNN/UFO score/PCB score) or general (ie you don't enjoy playing Touhou anymore).

In the latter case the solution is to stop playing. It's a game, games are for fun. You just typed about this exact thing.

If it's the latter, find some new category or something to do. I found that the limited spare time university gives you and losing interest in what I was doing in Touhou is leading me to try scoring an extra stage (at least after I play around with TD a bit). The danmaku is easier which might mean easier scoring but the stages themselves are noticeably shorter. Thus they fit in better if you've got other interests and obligations.

Maybe I'm speaking utter rubbish but I do really feel like you're experiencing the same thing I was, maybe you're not, but if you are, I spent too long figuring out this blindingly obvious thing and I don't want you to do the same.

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #927 on: March 23, 2016, 11:19:41 PM »
You are a legendary superplayer to me, Mino.  :)

Just do what you enjoy and what you feel is right.
Though maybe you could take a break for a while, and see if that helps you a bit? Especially if you're going into university.

« Reply #928 on: March 24, 2016, 01:12:48 AM »
I agree, if the agreement of a low-level player like me is worth anything. I watched your LNNN, and that is a legendary achievement in my book.

What you said does remind me of my own situation a while back -- I felt like I'd gotten stuck and wasn't enjoying the games any more. One night I went into the chat and vented a bit, and Karisa said, "If you're not enjoying the games, why are you still playing them?" I took a step back and realised that I was concentrating too much on the achievements I was going for, and that meant it kept being frustrating when I didn't get them. Thing is, I thought this was something I just couldn't switch off. But then somehow it just clicked, and I started being able to play for fun again. Then I really wanted to get that Extra clear, so I mostly just played attempts at that, and that did get a bit frustrating. For a long time I felt -- as you said -- that it was something a player of my level should have done by now. But in between attempts, every now and then I'd play one of the other difficulties, and I'd capture some card or other and notice that I was slowly improving, and I'd feel good about that and it helped me get through.

Anyway, I wish you luck, with both life and Touhou, and I'm looking forward to watching your next LNN because I know that's not something I'll ever be able to get myself :P

As for me: having got the Extra, my next goal is to clear Hard mode. I haven't had a serious attempt at that for a while. Today I decided to play a credit just for fun, and I did much better than expected. Two silly deaths in Stage 3, but I kept playing as it wasn't a "real" 1cc attempt. Silly death to one of Nitori's nonspells, but I captured all the spells, which is a first. Reached Sanae for the first time in this difficulty -- and actually captured all but one card. Game overed to Unremembered Crop. Yeah, maybe I'm not as far off getting this as I had thought :)

Sakurei

• Banned
    • My Blog
« Reply #929 on: March 24, 2016, 08:18:16 PM »
Reminder that someone or something becomes legendary only when they quit or die. Although the term living legend is sometimes used for the greatest of the great in their field. Subjective, I guess.

The danmaku is easier which might mean easier scoring but the stages themselves are noticeably shorter.

They're easier than lunatic scoring no doubt (unless you're playing GFW). A full milk extra is usually only about half as long as the full game and usually you'll find the grazes easier than what you find on lunatic (although there are some freak spells that are harder to do right than most lunatic stuff like Honest Man's Death, Shikigami "Ran" or Laevantein but those are far and between). And especially if you plan to play an easier extra like SA or DDC, you will find yourself probably quite comfortable with the difficulty. The hard extras (most notably GFW and PCB/Phantasm) will require a whole lot of work before you can claim to be good at them though. Easier does not necessarily mean easy, after all.