Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread  (Read 225106 times)

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
Re: Touhou Blogging Thread
« Reply #840 on: August 06, 2015, 11:39:04 AM »
Ok, I'm now getting absolutely garbage RNG on basically everything on UFO stage 5. I'd had enough of this stage days ago and still kept trying for that stage perfect but I guess now the stage has had enough of me and wants me to go away. I really should but I'm probably not that far off from the perfect, already had 2 1 miss runs and on 1 of them, the deathwave ended the attack I died to :<

Please, let me be done with this soon...

EDIT: Oh good, so any attempt I do in the actual game goes awfully (just failed to even clear the stage) but the first stage attempt I do in boss rush mode? Perfect Shou, albeit 2 deaths to Nazrin's spell.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:02:24 PM by Mr Jovial »

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #841 on: August 12, 2015, 12:06:37 AM »
Haven't played Touhou much lately because I recently got addicted to Puzzle & Dragons, and it's been hogging all my free time. Would like to start playing again though now that the LoLK full version is about to come out.

Noobzor

• Grazing is fun
  • I like grazing
« Reply #842 on: August 22, 2015, 12:08:00 PM »
Oh wow LoLK is scary. 3rd try into the game and I couldn't even clear it on normal difficulty. I kinda feel bad for having to spell and stage practice to 1cc a game on normal, but I guess that's what you get for not playing shmups for 18 months :V

Edit: oh damn, there's no spell practice. I guess stage practice will do it :V
« Last Edit: August 22, 2015, 01:39:05 PM by Noobzor »
Hard 1cc's: all windows games :3
Lunatic 1cc's: EoSD, PoFV, PCB
My replays

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #843 on: August 23, 2015, 01:20:19 AM »
Been practicing the stages in LoLK Lunatic Pointdevice mode, and I've found a trick that makes Junko's second non easier. Instead of trying to squeeze through the curvy bullet gaps from close to Junko, hug the wall or corner that the gaps are curving towards, and then squeeze through them from there. This is harder when she's near the side of the screen and shoots towards it, but still doable. My consistency has improved significantly since I started using this strat.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2015, 01:33:15 AM by Andrew »

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #844 on: August 23, 2015, 02:33:38 AM »
Yeah, each wave is static compared to Junko, but going all the way to the side can help give you more time to read them. Even if she's close to the wall in the direction that you need to go (i.e., left wall when going left), it then just boils down to knowing how the waves unfurl higher up. I think ZUN kinda dodged a bullet here, no pun intended, but it's certainly relieving that this attack never ends up becoming impossible by design.

More on-topic, how do you know you've been away from the game for too long? When you don't think to alter the custom.exe to fix the input lag. I had forgotten that I did the same thing for DDC way back when, so I was dismayed that LoLK had so much delay compared to DDC. Thankfully I found out about it before posting here and making a fool of myself. :V It really does make a world of difference while playing.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #845 on: August 23, 2015, 08:56:27 AM »
Well I've been off the Touhou scene for awhile, largely ignoring the new fighting games because no rollback = no point from my location. Still have yet to dent LoLK on legacy mode (hard only or above) but I have beaten the new mode on hard (hard not to if you throw yourself at it long enough). After trial and error I just now beat the extra stage after a couple tries on the boss.

I'll be honest... a couple of her nonspells are extremely... stupid? But other than that it wasn't a downright terrible fight, her nonspells are much harder than most of her spells.

Reisen best girl. I chose her not simply because she's new to play as (save for 9) but rather I largely prefer her to Reimu, Marisa, or Sanae (sorry, not even the armpit can win in this scenario to me).

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #846 on: August 23, 2015, 11:43:21 PM »
Very deep down in my bloodfilled stressed out heart,
I hold hope.
The futile hope that 1ccing UFO won't be the bloodsoaked nightmare that 1ccing PCB was for me. I did really well on my PCB 1CC but I'm 100% sure that was but a fluke. A skill-driven fluke but one nonetheless.
Currently, I'm trying to do the usual: Practice until I'm good enough to perfect Stages 1, 2 and 3. After that, I'll see how hard Stage 4 is and see how reasonable it to attempt not to die in it and bomb as little as possible.

The nova of the ocean of the cleverness

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #847 on: August 24, 2015, 02:25:47 AM »
Very deep down in my bloodfilled stressed out heart,
I hold hope.
The futile hope that 1ccing UFO won't be the bloodsoaked nightmare that 1ccing PCB was for me. I did really well on my PCB 1CC but I'm 100% sure that was but a fluke. A skill-driven fluke but one nonetheless.
Currently, I'm trying to do the usual: Practice until I'm good enough to perfect Stages 1, 2 and 3. After that, I'll see how hard Stage 4 is and see how reasonable it to attempt not to die in it and bomb as little as possible.

Ahahaha... sorry, but...
Just don't bother, it's just NOT worth it...
Kogasa is probably the hardest stage 2 boss on normal... except Ringo, and Ichirin is far and away the hardest stage 3 boss on normal... except Doremi.
I'd really recommend just... improve, yes, just don't try for a perfect.
You get much more resources in UFO as compared to PCB, don't be afraid to use them.

Also just realised Momohime's theme might actually be the greatest song ever in history.
Like, really. It's just so amazing.

If you haven't, FamilyTeam, you should play Riverbed Soul Saver, it's an increadibly good fangame :P

If you want to know where to get it, thanks to Vierne for this:
The entire package for this game can be downloaded from here:  http://www1.axfc.net/u/3402547?key=mrkn_03_rss
v1.02b patch: http://th-jss.cocolog-nifty.com/blog/2015/03/102b-7b7f.html
You will need your system locale to be in Japanese.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2015, 02:34:17 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #848 on: August 24, 2015, 11:04:22 AM »
Hmm, we'll see about that.
If you begun IN with 7 lives then you'd get a rather obscene amount of resources, which, coming from PCB, I thought was kind of odd.
Also, cool fangame! I might get it.

« Reply #849 on: August 24, 2015, 11:06:24 AM »
That's why you don't start with 7 lifes

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #850 on: August 24, 2015, 11:21:24 AM »
I suppose so...

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #851 on: August 24, 2015, 01:46:28 PM »
LoLK gives the most lives up to date, it seems. Minogame got 18 lives (or maybe more? I forget) in his LNB, and didn't even get all thresholds everywhere, which means there is room for even more. I don't think even TD or PCB can compare with that, despite the fact that they introduce a third "resource" that helps you live.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #852 on: August 26, 2015, 03:07:34 PM »
I find it mildly amusing and super annoying that my ability to figure out when I should bomb is non existent and it's probably one of the first things you become able to do in Touhou...I can only ever seem to bomb on Marisa's 3rd non and Buddhist Diamond because I find them rather difficult and I normally get trapped then die so it's really easy to spot when I'm going to die on those. Meanwhile I have no problem dying on random easy crap with lots of bombs in stock :X

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #853 on: August 26, 2015, 07:50:38 PM »
Now that I've gotten to Clownpiece, I'm pretty much committed to Pointdevice. And man, I know Hell Eclipse is a survival card, but there seems to be an element of randomness that makes watching replays (as few as there are so far) pretty much worthless. But once History hit 99+, my attitude calmed down, and I just kept trying from different points and in different directions. Finally, today, I managed to clear it - in the weirdest, counterclockwise zigzag dance I ever made Sanae do. Really, really made me wish PD had the capacity to save replays, because I would have loved to look at that again. Crazy shit.

In related news, Sanae is great.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Mesarthim

• Clumsy
« Reply #854 on: August 26, 2015, 09:32:58 PM »
Now that I've gotten to Clownpiece, I'm pretty much committed to Pointdevice. And man, I know Hell Eclipse is a survival card, but there seems to be an element of randomness that makes watching replays (as few as there are so far) pretty much worthless. But once History hit 99+, my attitude calmed down, and I just kept trying from different points and in different directions. Finally, today, I managed to clear it - in the weirdest, counterclockwise zigzag dance I ever made Sanae do. Really, really made me wish PD had the capacity to save replays, because I would have loved to look at that again. Crazy shit.

In related news, Sanae is great.

Isnt Hell Eclipse the first timeout for Easy and Normal? I mostly only play on hard and Lunatic (if my skill level allows) and found that the Normal version of Hell Eclipse is significantly harder than Hard ~_~

The stars are so nice and easy to dodge on hard because they are nice and evenly spread. I only did normal version once and my god there was a world of difference, like raining hell (no pun intended).

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

Tengukami

« Reply #855 on: August 26, 2015, 09:44:59 PM »
Oh yeah, I'm doing PD on Easy. No question. Normal will be for Legacy Mode.

And don't get me wrong, Clownpiece is a fun boss. I like her attitude. She's got moxie, and I respect that.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

« Reply #856 on: August 26, 2015, 10:36:05 PM »
the Normal version of Hell Eclipse is significantly harder than Hard ~_~
I'm fairly convinced even the Lunatic version is easier than Normal :V

Things I've done (and maybe will improve):
SA L6MNB | SA Lunatic 3b Scorerun | MoF LNB | PCB LNB |DDC LNB

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #857 on: August 27, 2015, 03:46:41 AM »
For some dumb reason, all the stages had already been unlocked for one shot-type for TLC: Reimu Needles. Actually a pretty nice shot-type, if I can't get the stages unlocked for Sakuya I'll 1cc with her :V

So like EoSD you start with 2 lives/3 bombs in practice.
One caveat: You can't get any extra resources.
Which is.... annoying.
I've managed to clear stage 6 (easiest final boss :V) and stage 5 (suprised me, some very good play against Michel even if I did fail her survival hard) but not stage 4.
Still though, fun. It's more for the earlier stages anyway so I don't need the extra lives so much.

EDIT: Aaand stage 4 cleared in practice mode. But barely.

Okay, I'll go for a 1cc but I'd still like if possible to get a score file that unlocks the stages for practice with Sakuya. I've definitely missed her superior range over Needles Reimu, and her longer bomb. Oh, and Spell Practice isn't unlocked for some reason =_+
Does anyone have a score file like that? Some of you must've played TLC lunatic .-.
If not, I'll go for a 1cc with Needles Reimu anyway.

2 death stage 6 (with 1 bomb left) + 3 death stage 5 + 2 death stage 4 = 7 lives needed at stage 3's starting to 1cc.
Hmm.

Stage 3 is obnoxious without Sakuya...
Okay forget 1ccing with Needles Reimu then.
Anyone have a scorefile with Sakuya for unlocking stages for practice? no matter what I do, I cannot unlock them with Sakuya and if I can't I might as well not bother going for 1cc - stage 3 is like 10 minutes in and practicing it with another shot-type won't work like the other stages because it's the only shot-type where stage 3 seems, well, doable. Yay for spread? :V
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:15:11 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #858 on: August 28, 2015, 01:11:29 AM »

You'd be surprised at just how many times I've seen people say this about LLK. And honestly, I'm really starting to kind of agree.
Look, I don't wanna start a flamewar, I know some of you tend to be flamewar happy, but I kind of did not like the latest game that much. That doesn't mean I won't play it, I still find it enjoyable, but I won't sit here and pretend ZUN can do absolutely no wrong and that this is the most flawless series of all time. No. Not at all. This isn't me just being one of those "Hurr the old 2hus were so much better" kind of people either, because I loved the last one we got, but this one just isn't clicking for me.

Tengukami

« Reply #859 on: August 28, 2015, 02:44:20 AM »
Yeah, it happens. Each game has a distinct personality, reflected in all its elements, so it's only natural some games just won't click with us but others will. For me, LoLK definitely agrees with me, while some others (TD, for one major example) did not. C'est la vie.

Currently up against Junko now. I see what people were talking about when they talked about how her danmaku is "simple", and it is in a design sense, to be sure. But I think that fits with her whole concept. I find her a lot of fun to go up against, personally, and her theme glorious. Really gets you in the mood to FIGHT.

God I can't wait to clear this now that endings are translated.

FamilyTeam

• Love Sign
  • Master Spark
« Reply #860 on: August 28, 2015, 03:49:12 AM »
10D didn't click for me either at all. Neither did POFV and all of the PC98 games, tbh, though I haven't given those a fair enough change yet.

ChronaSE

• Doremy-rekt
« Reply #861 on: August 28, 2015, 06:35:10 AM »
LoLK isn't even that unfair as people claim it to be. Or are these people going to tell me that they managed to 1CC UFO or SA on their first normal mode try?
After playing LoLK for quite a while you'll get more familiar with the patterns and it will be less time consuming. 
You can memorize most patterns, Clownpiece's spells only requires you to position correctly, Junko ain't that tough if it weren't for her nonspells, other spells require good dodging, I mean hey, this time the gals are fighting people that aren't familiar with gensokyo's fighting rules.

Either way yeah, I can understand people finding this game frustrating, more so if they aren't much into danmaku shooters.
(I too hated TD, it's the only touhou game I couldn't bear to replay, contrary to LoLK claims, TD was extremely easy and the relaxing techno music makes me want to sleep.)

« Last Edit: August 28, 2015, 06:38:04 AM by ChronaSE »

Mesarthim

• Clumsy
« Reply #862 on: August 28, 2015, 07:09:37 AM »
LoLK didn't click with me too well when I first tried it (2 hour long hard mode point device run). But now I can do a 1cc on hard without too much of a problem, especially on Reisen. A lot of the attacks are basically one trick ponies where knowledge is key. You get that much down and you save significant resources.

Got back into my groove of 1cc Hard clears and even cleared extra which I was initially worried about. Nonspells on extra boss... do not mess around. Then I found out her spells were easier than the nonspells (save for a certain moon spell).

Tengukami

« Reply #863 on: August 28, 2015, 04:15:01 PM »
Currently on Junko's very last spellcard (Sanae, Easy, Pointdevice Mode). While looking for replays to help me through this stage, I noticed that Junko speaks much differently to the human girls if they arrive at that point in Legacy or Pointdevice. I found it very humorous.

But more importantly, I can't seem to find a single Sanae Easy replay where the player doesn't bomb their way through the final spellcard. That makes me ... quite nervous. Or maybe I should just be more patient.

« Reply #864 on: August 28, 2015, 06:21:55 PM »
But more importantly, I can't seem to find a single Sanae Easy replay where the player doesn't bomb their way through the final spellcard. That makes me ... quite nervous. Or maybe I should just be more patient.
Alright, I just did a Sanae Stage 6 Easy practice run that captures all of Junko's spells, and the only bomb I used was during her third non-spell (an unnecessary panic bomb). Replay attached.

Tengukami

« Reply #865 on: August 28, 2015, 11:32:43 PM »
I thank you! At last something to study.

Funny thing is? I have 4/5 pieces for a bomb at the point I'm at, but even if I had a bomb left I don't think I'd use it. PD has kinda weened me off the notion of bombing through the hard parts. It's more frustrating, but also more satisfying.

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #866 on: August 30, 2015, 01:48:42 AM »
It occurred to me earlier today that practicing no-bombs LoLK Stage 6 is equivalent to no items, Fox only, Final Destination.

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #867 on: August 30, 2015, 02:11:44 AM »
It occurred to me earlier today that practicing no-bombs LoLK Stage 6 is equivalent to no items, Fox only, Final Destination.

No items, Seija only, Impossible Spellcard? :V

Also I remember why I love Iesua's theme so much.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2015, 10:36:50 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

« Reply #868 on: August 31, 2015, 12:15:13 AM »
I've neglected Touhou for much too long, but today I finally decided it was about time I started playing again. So I had a quick run through MoF Easy -- chose ReimuC as I hadn't got a clear with her yet -- and cleared first try. Easy or not, being able to do that after such a long absence felt good :)

« Reply #869 on: September 03, 2015, 02:35:55 AM »
LoLK starting to grow a bit on me, possibly due to realizing that Clownpiece is a lot easier than I actually thought she was. Only using 1 bomb on hard for her is pretty good for me.

Feels a bit too much like SA 2.0 for me, still, though. Stream and graze all the things.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2015, 03:12:13 AM by Hainiryuun »
Normal 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC, LoLK
Hard 1CC's - EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
Lunatic 1CC's - PCB, IN, PoFV
Extra Clears - EoSD (+Ultra), PCB (+Phantasm), IN (+Ultra), PoFV, MoF, DDC
Youtube