Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread  (Read 225107 times)

CyberAngel

• Retired
Re: Touhou Blogging Thread
« Reply #540 on: August 02, 2014, 05:03:51 PM »
*sigh* Here we go again. I have to stop playing IN altogether. But not because there's something I don't like. Instead, there's just so much to do in this game that I'm too overwhelmed with how much time it needs - easily four times as much as any other STG, if not even more. Dropping some of the stuff isn't an option since I DO want to try everything. But I'm tired of how much I need to play to satisfy those wishes. Of course, there are also flaws that get in the way, like being clearly not balanced for solo characters. But either way, this is it. It was fun, but too tiring for my tastes.

« Reply #541 on: August 03, 2014, 02:18:56 AM »
I think it is pretty generally agreed that at their core shmups are a challenge to the shmupper. What some don't realize is that the challenge is not to 1cc the game or to get a good score. No, those are but the end result; they are the payment for the job, so to speak. The challenge is to learn the game's nuances, it is to spend those longer hours restarting stage 2, it is to come back from the discouragement of having to throw out a run at the final stage. The challenge is to bear the crushing weight of failure for as long as one possibly can. The challenge is, in a word, to endure.

« Reply #542 on: August 03, 2014, 04:33:52 AM »
Haven't played Touhou in about... 2 years. But I have the greatest urge to reinstall Hisoutensoku and show it to my college's anime club.

Ghost

• Fluke dodging is the best tactic.
« Reply #543 on: August 03, 2014, 10:39:00 AM »
Got my second PCB 1 miss run.

Died in the exact same spot as the last one
/chen too hard for me.

Oh

« Reply #544 on: August 03, 2014, 03:02:09 PM »
Why aren't you restarting on stage 2 deaths

« Reply #545 on: August 03, 2014, 03:24:43 PM »
Don't throw away games if you're losing. - HFD

« Reply #546 on: August 03, 2014, 06:52:32 PM »
Made it to stage 9 in PoDD Lunatic for the first time.
It was kind of a miracle run, no-missing up until Chiyuri (who took me three lives but whatever...).

I swear I'll clear this game one day.

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #547 on: August 03, 2014, 09:11:26 PM »
I'm probably going to return to PoDD at some point. I said a while again I wanted a Chiyuri 1cc and now we've got English patches, I'll have a bit more motivation to play.
Right now, IN LNBs are going weirdly. Dying a lot to Reisen's final spell (not her last spell) and Life Spring Infinity. I am getting a lot of decent (<5 miss) runs. Lots of 4s (4 of them surprisingly O_o).
UFO Stage 6 is getting better though, 2nd non is still brutally wrecking me and I've given up on learning Funen's strategy for it although most other attacks, including Good Omen, are getting easier. Progress is good, regardless of how little it is :V.

Ghost

« Reply #548 on: August 04, 2014, 08:07:18 AM »
Why aren't you restarting on stage 2 deaths

Because I can't actually consistently do the rest of the game
It's mostly just practice.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #549 on: August 05, 2014, 01:20:48 AM »
Because I can't actually consistently do the rest of the game
It's mostly just practice.

Practice. As in practice mode. Use practice mode and you'll get better at the game, trust me :VVVVV

Well really, practice survival in practice mode and practice scoring in-game because ZUN never thought of making scoring practice easier on the player.

I'm no good at touhou, but I know that there's some level of improvement to be made SOMEWHERE if confidence isn't there to tell you that you know what you're doing.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 01:25:56 AM by Esper »
My profile picture is whimsy until I feel like adding something else.

Enjoy.

Ghost

« Reply #550 on: August 05, 2014, 08:32:50 AM »
Practice. As in practice mode. Use practice mode and you'll get better at the game, trust me :VVVVV

Well really, practice survival in practice mode and practice scoring in-game because ZUN never thought of making scoring practice easier on the player.

I'm no good at touhou, but I know that there's some level of improvement to be made SOMEWHERE if confidence isn't there to tell you that you know what you're doing.

Practice feels bad to play because the cherry gain is different which messes up item collection and stuff.
Which is technically meaningless in survival but still.

I do use practice mainly for practicing stage 6 (spam is hard) and I use boss rush for practicing spell cards.
But full runs are good for practice too.

LunarWingCloud

• Private Square
  • ♪ Present World Overhaul ♪
« Reply #551 on: August 05, 2014, 09:16:15 AM »
Unless you're noticeably worse at only 1 particular stage you may as well practice full runs because it gives you more of a feel of how mentally exhausting it is going to be and how much focus you're going to need, where your consistency is more common to break, etc. I use Stage Practice if I really need a boost to just 1 stage, but otherwise I just go for full runs also and make pushes that I think are necessary. I've never really come across any tricks I could use to help myself while playing Stage Practice but have found several in regular runs.
I play Touhou on Twitch and YouTube. I'm not that good, but I'm informative when I can be. Follow me.

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #552 on: August 05, 2014, 11:49:55 AM »
At last, I finally defeated the final boss in Labyrinth of Touhou. On top of that, I got its item drop. ^-^
Just for the record, here is my team levels :
Spoiler:
Mei Ling (624), Ran (582), Reimu (634), Shiki Eiki (559), Patchouli (551), Marisa (593), Yukari (546), Nitori (614), Yuugi (583), Rinnosuke (542), Kaguya (578), Aya (597).
As for how it went,
Spoiler:
my main team was Mei Ling, Yukari, Reimu and Shiki Eiki. Shiki Eiki started with a debuff and her main job was to deal damage, the other was to keep up the defensive, attacking when there was an opening for them. Eventually, I switched Shiki Eiki for Ran to boost my back up and allow SHiki Eiki to recover SP meanwhile. After that, I switched back Ran. As soon as the Winner entered its final phase, it used right away its life medicine, putting it back in the second phase and exposing me as little as possible to the final phase. Somewhere along the way, I lost Yukari and replaced her with Ran which keep boosting defense. Eventually, I lost Reimu in the final phase and then want in an all up attack. Marisa's first  Master Spark dealt over 7 millions damage! X D Mei Ling did a super job of not dying and occasionally healed the others too. She couldn't keep up despite Aya boosting her speed so I lost a few characters here and there. I kept switching Ran with Rinnosuke now and then to have them tank. Eventually, the Winner decide to just not take damage for a while so I had Yuugi poison him meanwhile. Eventually I managed to deal enough damage and won. ^^
Now, I have access to new game plus. That being said, there is at least one more thing I would like to do for now and it's to get the last item I need to complete the item list. At this point, it's just a matter of time before it happens. ^^

****Small update*****
Done, I finally got the last item. ^^
« Last Edit: August 05, 2014, 04:34:42 PM by Mew seeker »

You can wish for anything!

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #553 on: August 06, 2014, 01:24:00 PM »
So yesterday, I tried out DDC Lunatic with MarisaB.

I can see why MarisaB's bomb is so useful in the harder difficulties.

Now, if I could just Easy 1cc her to unlock the extra stage....
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

« Reply #554 on: August 07, 2014, 02:36:00 AM »
I've been trying to score ISC 1-2, but I can't seem to get over 5.77 mil, and I can't even get into royalflare's top 3 because they're all within 5.78 mil. ECCH
Normal 1cc's: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB + Phantasm, IN, MoF, TD, DDC
Phantasmagoria Trues Clears: Standard Regular
Goals: Phantasmagoria Trues Unseen Standard 1cc, MoF XNM, MoF XNF

« Reply #555 on: August 07, 2014, 07:22:20 AM »
You get more points from dealing damage unfocused. I'm pretty sure that the top scores for that scene also have the boss in a very favorable position for the final cancel, having some bullets left over from the previous wave and then all bullets from the current wave, plus happen to cancel it at a very good spot for high spell bonus.

I think that random boss movement is very bad in games where cancels are important. Think of Minoriko's nonspells (where only the up-down and movement length are random), or the bomb canceling on some EoSD patterns over and over again, which both seem to frustrate players a lot.

You guys should try 10-2 and 10-5.

« Reply #556 on: August 07, 2014, 11:11:14 AM »
You get more points from dealing damage unfocused.

OK, this is weird.

I've heard this said before, but for some reason this doesn't seem to be true for me. One tap of the Z button is 100 points (with all parts hitting and no cursed doll) whether focused or unfocused. Or, if I go to bottom of 4-4 and shoot the whole time, focused and unfocused doesn't really affect the score.

I also tried this test - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W31LcQV9Jv4 - and I get the same points either way.

I don't understand.

EDIT: Okay it's being really weird. Sometimes I get same amount of points and sometimes it's different. Like, seems like the distance from the boss or something. Even if it appears the same amount of shots are hitting. If I'm close enough, I get 50 points either way, if I'm far enough away, I get 100 points either way. If I'm between those distances I get 50 points focused and 100 unfocused. All of these appear to have all shots hitting. I don't fully understand it. But I guess it's true at a certain distance.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2014, 11:45:47 AM by Star King »

« Reply #557 on: August 07, 2014, 11:48:42 AM »
EDIT: Okay it's being really weird. Sometimes I get same amount of points and sometimes it's different. Like, seems like the distance from the boss or something. Even if it appears the same amount of shots are hitting. If I'm close enough, I get 50 points either way, if I'm far enough away, I get 100 points either way. If I'm between those distances I get 50 points focused and 100 unfocused. All of these appear to have all shots hitting. I don't fully understand it. But I guess it's true at a certain distance.

From what I understand, it's 200 points per second focused and 400 per second unfocused. I already knew about that part, but the favorable position is what was throwing me off. Guess it's just RNG then.
Normal 1cc's: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, MoF, SA, UFO, TD, DDC
Hard 1cc's: EoSD, PCB, IN
Extra Clears: EoSD, PCB + Phantasm, IN, MoF, TD, DDC
Phantasmagoria Trues Clears: Standard Regular
Goals: Phantasmagoria Trues Unseen Standard 1cc, MoF XNM, MoF XNF

« Reply #558 on: August 07, 2014, 12:53:10 PM »
-_-

It's not RNG.

And I'm saying those rates seem to be true at a certain distance.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #559 on: August 10, 2014, 10:03:02 AM »
Alright, I'm done fooling around. I have been jumping between games, relying on developing raw skills, but that's no longer enough to move further at this point. Sure, they still develop, some things that were scary before look perfectly doable now. But somehow my overall results don't budge at all. Well, it's time to get serious and turn to what I've been neglecting doing for so long. Time to set concrete goals instead of wandering around, time to study routes and strats instead of relying on luck and trying to come up with stuff on my own, time to grind full runs instead of needlessly using stage practice.

...To be fair, I am a bit afraid whether it'll help or not. Of course, I'm reasonable enough to not expect big results in a short time, I understand the advancement will be bit by bit and I'll need to revisit my goals before finally achieving them. But I'm fine with that now. I finally have actual things I want to do, not some abstract stuff like "achieve something" or "do my best". Things I'll enjoy working towards, regardless of results. So it will not be a waste either way.

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #560 on: August 11, 2014, 12:21:28 AM »
I have played a bit of EoSC after a long, long while (you know, playing Touhou Labyrinth and all) and I got owned big time. X D
You know it's not going to end well when you loose a life on Demarcation. X D

You can wish for anything!

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #561 on: August 11, 2014, 04:30:04 AM »
Currently playing a shitload of PoFV to practice for the upcoming tournament, getting my ass handed to me consistently by Senozza wielding Marisa lasers ;-;

Any tips for dealing with Marisa as Lunasa?

Enjoy.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #562 on: August 11, 2014, 01:17:33 PM »
For starters, if you want to have a realistic chance on winning, don't play Lunasa. She is not very strong. Strong characters in PvP are Reimu, Marisa, Youmu (if you can use her properly), Komachi and Eiki. Medicine too, but who the hell plays Medicine?

Next up is don't get hit by lasers. That sounds obvious, but you wouldn't believe how often people notice the lasers at the bottom of the page too late and get hit by them. Pay attention to those.
Also Marisa is very claustrophobic, especially in netplay when you have some latency. Make sure to keep a level 2 for safety (though that's personal preference. Some other people might tell you not to keep it.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #563 on: August 11, 2014, 04:30:57 PM »
For starters, if you want to have a realistic chance on winning, don't play Lunasa. She is not very strong.

Aww, okay. :c

Strong characters in PvP are Reimu, Marisa, Youmu (if you can use her properly), Komachi and Eiki. Medicine too, but who the hell plays Medicine?

I thought Raymoo was considered shameful to use for absurdly tight gaps during netplay. Other than that, though, this list seems fine.

Next up is don't get hit by lasers. That sounds obvious, but you wouldn't believe how often people notice the lasers at the bottom of the page too late and get hit by them. Pay attention to those.

Oh trust me, I'm all too familiar with Marisa's lasers. Many a match has been ended by those. Especially right after I use a panic bomb. I'm guessing panic bombing is a significantly bad idea SPECIFICALLY against Marisa?

Also Marisa is very claustrophobic, especially in netplay when you have some latency. Make sure to keep a level 2 for safety (though that's personal preference. Some other people might tell you not to keep it.

And use that L2 at the best possible moment to deflect as many pellets as possible so that the claustrophobia goes over to HER side rather than yours?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 04:32:38 PM by Esper »

Enjoy.

Sakurei

• Banned
  • Frequently repeated unapologetic hostility
    • My Blog
« Reply #564 on: August 11, 2014, 05:29:48 PM »
You don't deflect any pellets when you cancel them with a level 2. You cancel them out erasing them from the game. To reflect them you would have to shoot the fairies. You will, however, create new pellet from your level 2, so there's that.

Esper

• <Temporary Title>
  • <Temporary Text>
« Reply #565 on: August 11, 2014, 05:59:47 PM »
You don't deflect any pellets when you cancel them with a level 2. You cancel them out erasing them from the game. To reflect them you would have to shoot the fairies. You will, however, create new pellet from your level 2, so there's that.

...Holy shit, I didn't know that. No wonder the clutter doesn't carry over. Thanks for the info.

ALSO FUCK I JUST REALIZED THAT I PLAY AS LYRICA, NOT LUNASA. FUCK. FUCK. FUCK.

Is Lyrica a good character for PoFV against Marisa?
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 06:59:33 PM by Esper »

Enjoy.

« Reply #566 on: August 11, 2014, 09:34:46 PM »
No-missed PoDD up to stage 8 again, and got Yumemi down to her last hit.
I'm getting closer.  :3

« Reply #567 on: August 11, 2014, 10:32:28 PM »
Lyrica is decent, but she's not one of the strongest options available, which were listed above.

« Reply #568 on: August 12, 2014, 03:14:07 PM »
Eh, chummy once said he thinks Lyrica is top 5. It's debatable and subjective and all. I say just play whoever you want.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #569 on: August 14, 2014, 10:48:24 PM »
After a couple years of not playing Touhou much at all, I'm finally getting back into some challenges that I feel are within my skill range. If anything, a few of these challenges will give me a sense of closure for some of these games.

First up is a PCB Lunatic 1lc. After a few days of practicing, I've only had a handful of runs make it to Stage 4, but I'm pretty comfortable when playing the later stages for survival in Practice Mode at least. The biggest challenge for me is managing the Cherry system, which I've never been able to do well. I've made a route of sorts through the first three stages - no idea if it's optimal, but I don't care, it's what I'm comfortable with. It is kind of refreshing to relearn some of these attacks, however. Making new approaches to attacks that leave me in a much better position to succeed. That's always been the attraction for me, learning stuff. This challenge should be fun to shoot for.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.