Author Topic: Touhou Blogging Thread  (Read 225105 times)

Re: Touhou Blogging Thread
« Reply #240 on: January 06, 2014, 04:30:53 AM »
Just adding on: These games take a really, really long time to get good at. All of the super players around here have poured hundreds or even thousands of hours to get to where they are, so unless you've poured in hundreds of hours and still gotten nowhere, then having some more patience will get you a long way.

And by the way coming in from the fandom doesn't mean anything. I came in from the fandom and can now clear (most) games on Lunatic fairly reliably. Just keep at it and you'll definitely improve.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #241 on: January 06, 2014, 02:32:10 PM »
To add one more thing, don't be afraid to make a pause and do something else for some days/weeks/months. It's useless to try any further if you've burned out, but that doesn't mean you'll never get better than this. Maybe your mind just needs some time to adapt to some new things. Maybe you need your desire to play renewed. Nothing's impossible in this genre with enough patience and determination.

« Reply #242 on: January 06, 2014, 03:42:09 PM »
@Screams: Well, for the most part I think you should take it easy. Don't get bummed out about little things.
But if you want to get good and fast, download replays, watch them on youtube, etc. I'd suggest picking one stage and practicing it over and over until you're satisfied. But that's just how I do it. There are lots of resources out there that can help you.

When trying to reach new goals isn't working out, it's always nice to improve upon old accomplishments. I always play PCB Extra when I need a pick-me-up. It's an amazing milestone of how far I've come. When I first unlocked it, it was truly an insurmountable wall. I couldn't track any of the bullets, not even a little. I memorized a route for the stage based on multiple replays I watched, but I died hundreds of times because I didn't have the skill to actually execute it.
But now that steep cliff is naught but an afternoon jaunt. Just a little bit ago I almost NM'd it without even meaning to; I never did memorize the tight-squeeze end of Kokkuri-san.

Lately I don't even focus on any of the games. I'll just be listening to 2hu music and I'll be like, "Oh, this song makes me want to play ____'s stage."

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #243 on: January 06, 2014, 10:20:59 PM »
After a long, LONG pause, I played a bit of EotSD.
Went to position just in front of Cirno for Icicle Fall.
Then brutally remembered I was playing on normal. X D
Made it to Patchouly final life bar.
I will need practicing to bomb, so many lifes went down the drain. X D
Small update
Managed to beat Patchouly now and even managed to beat her last spellcard
but now, I have no idea how to dodge the stuff in Sakuya stage. At the very least now I am bombing more now.
Also is now able to beat the first stage withouth losing any lifes.
Cirno's Icicle Fall on normal is giving me some trouble. That front wave of bullets changes thing a lot. XD
I guess next step is beating Sakuya to unlock and practice her stage.
Second small update
Finally made it to Remilia Scarlet. Bombing like crazy and yet not enough. X D
I am starting to see a little bit how to dodge Sakuya stuff but I have still a long way to go.
Still, stage 5 practice is unlocked,
Also, Patchouly non direction lazers are giving me trouble, I keep getting cornered between them and the bullets that back them up. X D
I can't play too long in a single sitting because my body get too tense as I play. ^^;;;
On a lighter note, Cirned really looks pissed off when you talk to her.  :3
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 10:11:06 PM by Mew seeker »

You can wish for anything!

Noobzor

• Grazing is fun
  • I like grazing
« Reply #244 on: January 09, 2014, 05:30:32 PM »
EoSD stage 5 lunatic 1MNB (got a clipdeath at the end of Killing Doll when Sakuya is exploding)

Ok so during that Christmas break I spent a lot of time trying to perfect EoSD's fifth stage without using safespots. I got a lot of close calls (a dozen of 1MNB), some were because of bullshit RNG, some were because my dodging skills aren't good enough to get good consistency at max rank Killing Doll, and most were because I freak the hell out towards the end of the stage (around Sakuya's last nonspell). Seriously, I shouldn't even stress at all, this stage is only 4 minutes long, no wonder I fuck up every single good run I'm getting when I reach the last stage, scoring or survival.
Anyway, at least now I got quite consistent at this stage, which is a great step towards a future EoSD LNB, especially since I'll likely use safespots during a full run, making the stage portion a piece of cake.

Perfect EoSD stage 5 is still on my list of goals but it's not my priority anymore. I still want to 1cc more games on lunatic, and the next one will probably be IN. Actually I didn't play IN since at least half a year, but SA, UFO and DDC are too tough for me yet, I don't really like TD, and I get bored if I don't score at least a bit (not necessarily spending ressources, but at least grazing and PoCing), something that you can't do in MoF if you die everywhere.
So, IN. First run since a very long time yesterday, I tried scoring in normal difficulty with Scarlet team. Deaths everywhere (I mean, I even died to Mystia's 3rd spell), forgot where enemies spawn and how to collect their items, other random fails, but still managed to get 2.1bil. Not an amazing score but I can expect 2.7bil without too much effort if I just take the time to learn the game again.
Well actually I'm not going for a high score, I'm just trying to learn the stages again so I don't get crushed on lunatic because I forgot what spellcard was next or because the enemies spawned at the right of the screen and not at the left, that kind of stuff.
When I get a satisfying score, I'll move on to lunatic.
Hard 1cc's: all windows games :3
Lunatic 1cc's: EoSD, PoFV, PCB
My replays

Zil

« Reply #245 on: January 10, 2014, 02:17:07 AM »
I CAN STREAM PODD

Thank you Kits you are jesus.

Mesarthim

• Oh no, which direction should I move?
  • Clumsy
« Reply #246 on: January 10, 2014, 02:37:18 AM »
It only just now dawned on me that I can cheese Yatsuhashi's first spell (on lunatic, but any will do). I can get about 9 million points if done efficiently enough as Reimu B but the other shot types (Marisa A/B and Sakuya B) will time out this way (clockwise or counterclickwise rotations around yatsuhashi).

Got up to 1,177 graze on the attack alone when I only got 217 doing it the normal way. Comes at the cost of maybe 4-5 million points off of the spell score. I still don't like this shot type because I cannot do Echo Chamber or Social Upheaval Reqieum at all.

Hard 1cc: 4 (LLS), 6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW)13 (TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)
Lunatic 1cc: 8 (IN), 9 (PoFV), 11 (SA), 12.8 (GFW), 14 (DDC)
Extra Clear: 4 (LLS) ,5 (MS) ,6 (EoSD),7 (PCB),8 (IN),9 (PoFV),10 (MoF),11 (SA),12 (UFO),12.8 (GFW),13(TD), 14 (DDC), 15 (LoLK)

« Reply #247 on: January 10, 2014, 05:04:16 AM »
Had a run entering stage 6 with 514M that gameovered before midboss Sakuya. :<

Mino ☆

• PCB player.
  • Touhou Hobbyist
« Reply #248 on: January 10, 2014, 02:06:54 PM »
That sucks. :<

I had a potential 3 billion run in SA lost last night to Orin's last spell...

Szayelaporro Granz

• You can't use spellcards within my range
  • since I've already analyzed and sealed them all
« Reply #249 on: January 10, 2014, 07:00:39 PM »
I just practiced stage 6 of PCB hard after some time and here's the result. Ahh, if only I can pull this during normal run... :V Wait, did I just captured Yuyuko's last spell!? Hopefully I can have my first hard 1cc anytime soon if I'm not too lazy and having stupid deaths :(
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
Feel free to watch my crappy replays and twitch channel
My favorite touhou music

Mew seeker

• Find things
« Reply #250 on: January 10, 2014, 10:10:43 PM »
Today was one of those day where you just seem do to wrong. X D
Kept dying on the first stage on normal.
Played at easy level to blow some steam off, didn't even manage to 1 CC the game. X D
But at least I can see that doing so at easy would be in my grasp. ^^
Also,  I realized that easy can help you understand how to dodge certain attacks,
like how in Misdirection you're suppose to go away from Sakuya to dodge.
I am starting to see a little bit more how I am suppose to dodge Sakuya and some of the fairies danmaku in the later stages.
Also, looks like I'll have to use unfocused movement a bit more to dodge Patchouli non directional lazers.

Also, I got Remilia to throw knife at me! ^^
And seriously, the knife non-spell is a joke to dodge after all those other attacks she used before. X D

BIG UPDATE!

I don't know what was in my food but today after a couple of run with silly deaths, I managed to defeat Remilia Scarlet.
I somehow managed to make it to stage 5 withouth a single continue and defeat Sakuya's spell card in stage 6 (Eternal Meek?).
Remilia was defeated just after I used my last continue. X D
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 02:24:19 PM by Mew seeker »

You can wish for anything!

Oh

« Reply #251 on: January 11, 2014, 10:07:27 PM »

Magical score gain?

Karisa

• Extend!
  • High scores are meant to be broken.
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2014, 05:40:48 AM »
I've seen it a lot in replays-- if I recall correctly, it's common in PCB? I've also seen MoF runs end a few ten or hundred faith off when starting from stage 6 than when starting from the beginning (why I was paying attention to ending faith in a run that didn't finish with 999990, not sure, but I recall seeing that). I guess there's the potential for very minor desyncs?

Oh

« Reply #253 on: January 12, 2014, 06:37:36 AM »
My guess is that the replay function is not 100% accurate (some minor score from difference in cancelled bullets) and it does correct itself to the value on the replay after each stage.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #254 on: January 12, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »
Ultra-precision microtapping technique learned. Now I know how to adjust the tap so it's the right length, not too short and not too long. Should be useful in the future.

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #255 on: January 14, 2014, 01:10:32 AM »
I got Lunatic Hourai Elixir and did Salamander Shield no horizontal! Am I cool now? :getdown:

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=31882

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mlCAzV1F69M

http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=31883

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8cxYRsibhyA

On that note, I'm up to 218 spells caught out of 222. I still need to get Kaguya's 5th Lunatic spell, Mokou's Last Spell, Marisa's Last Word, and Yukari's Last Word. I also need to unlockt he LWs as well.
Currently needing to do more Touhou stuff
My Touhou Replays
IN Yukari Spell Practice: 218/222
Chat with me, maybe?: https://discord.gg/0bbmWG5ankaeyTzH

« Reply #256 on: January 14, 2014, 11:34:13 AM »
Just returned to play DDC. This time with autobomb patch. Surprisingly, I got to stage 6 with a few lives and I only needed one more continue to clear. I guess this means that I wasn't bombing enough. BOMB MORE

« Reply #257 on: January 15, 2014, 12:01:33 AM »
I got two consecutive 1ccs of PoFV Lunatic, both ending around 150M.
Scoring still eludes me in this game. I can get and keep the "BONUS" quite consistently in stage 6, but stage 7 is a complete failure each and every time. I used to get craptons of points from Medicine, but now it's a pathetic struggle for survival. :<
At least I'm slowly getting better at Komachi...

Fuyuumi

• A fairy pichuu'ed me.
« Reply #258 on: January 15, 2014, 12:17:35 AM »
Since the post I made on achievement thread I didn't played any touhou at all. Then yesterday, round 8 pm I tried to beat IN on easy (it hurts me like hell...) as someone else than Reimu & Yukari. I choose Youmu and Yuyuko. 1cc'ed (what does cc stand for?) and survived few seconds longer during that Hourai Elixir spellcard (I was sure that these lasers aren't THAT fat). Dunno if my skill improved but it felt much, much easier (although I held shift almost all the time, cuz Youmu's ghost is too wierd for me to control)...

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #259 on: January 15, 2014, 12:38:45 AM »
1cc=1 credit clear, meaning no continues as that would be putting in another credit on an arcade machine.

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #260 on: January 15, 2014, 12:45:41 AM »
I feel like I'll never catch Lunatic Hourai Jewel at this rate... after having tried for another solid hour...
My Touhou Replays

MTSranger

• =.=
« Reply #261 on: January 15, 2014, 03:42:13 AM »
I feel like I'll never catch Lunatic Hourai Jewel at this rate... after having tried for another solid hour...
There is the YELLOW BALLS method where you start at bottom left corner, stream, and dash under yellow balls when you need to switch directions.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me1TymHrXww&t=5m3s
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 03:48:14 AM by Kanon »

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #262 on: January 15, 2014, 05:34:42 AM »
There is the YELLOW BALLS method where you start at bottom left corner, stream, and dash under yellow balls when you need to switch directions.

Video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Me1TymHrXww&t=5m3s
I have gotten somewhere a couple times before, but I prefer to go the right corner first. I can't seem to get into the method using the left corner.
My Touhou Replays

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #263 on: January 16, 2014, 12:51:27 PM »
Was going for a NMNB Stage 6A in IN today. Started with a 3MNB with 3 misses to Astronomical Entombing so I'm like "Well I guess I'll go practice it." So I cap it first try in spell practice then back to stage practice. This time 5MNB with 1 miss to Apollo 13, 3 misses to Astronomical Entombing and 1 miss to Hourai Elixir. Again, spell practice Astronomical Entoming and capture it first try. Then there was a 1MNB with 1 miss to Apollo 13. Spell practice, capture first try.

What is a consistency and how do I do it?
What is a lucky and how to I lucky more?

Burning Love

• Flan is not a pudding! (I think)
    • Burning Love' Blog
« Reply #264 on: January 16, 2014, 02:49:05 PM »
Apparently, Marisa/Patchy combo in SA is the hardest to 1CC compared to other combos. Mainly due to Princess Undine and Philosopher Stone (and Orin. But Orin is Orin, so it doesn't count.)

As if losing 4-5 lives in stage 5 is normal for me. ORIIIIIIIINNN!!!
Still waiting for a good sig. image

Ranko Hoshino

• ゆっくりしていってね!!!
  • Take it easy!
    • Ranko's Gaming Blog
« Reply #265 on: January 17, 2014, 05:28:08 AM »
I feel like I've done all I can with Imperishable Night. Maybe I could work on Easy NMNB runs with the human characters, but that's probably about it. I still haven't caught Lunatic Hourai Jewel. I'm doing badly with Imperishable Shooting. I still can't seem to get that Hard 1cc with Reimu, and I don't want to increase my starting life counter. This is legitimately frustrating and a bit depressing at the same time.
My Touhou Replays

« Reply #266 on: January 17, 2014, 05:55:50 PM »
After countless hours (well maybe not) of wondering WHY my bombs are killing the fairies on Meiling's second nonspell, someone told me that staying at the right corner kills them. I have been staying in the wrong corner all of the time, lol.  :V

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #267 on: January 17, 2014, 08:43:19 PM »
I decided to play around with SA normal today. I'm actually a bit surprised that I perfected the whole stage 2. Although I kinda screwed at stage 3 and lost everything at Orin's boss battle :P
Normal 1cc: LLS, MS, EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF, UFO, TD, DDC / Hard 1cc: EoSD, PCB, IN, PoFV, MoF*, TD / Lunatic 1cc: PoFV / Extra 1cc: EoSD, PCB (+P), IN, PoFV, MoF, DDC
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #268 on: January 25, 2014, 12:22:59 PM »
Just noticed that for IN stage 6A replays in stage practice, the score listed for the replay is different to the one at the end of the stage. Seems to be adding on the life and bomb bonuses (when it shouldn't be) in the replay leading to the wrong score O_o

EDIT: For comparisons sake:

Score in the replay: 729026960 (8 lives 3 bombs left)
Score listed on the replay file: 406526960

For a difference of 322500000. Life and bomb bonus adds to 215000000 (EDIT2:) and adding the 1.5x multiplier for lunatic gives the 322.5m bonus.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 12:40:10 PM by Mr Jovial »

Szayelaporro Granz

« Reply #269 on: January 25, 2014, 03:49:49 PM »
I played PoFV again yesterday after a while. Unexpectedly cleared Normal mode with no continues and when I retried Extra I realized immediately after getting 540k in stage 1 that you can get a bonus life in almost every stage if done correctly :o Since I'm no good in versus danmaku, can anyone give me some advice? *screams to Zil*
*Bug abuse.
My favorite touhou music