Author Topic: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition  (Read 231445 times)

Re: Touhou Rage Thread XVI: Last-Second Clipdeaths Edition
« Reply #660 on: September 07, 2014, 06:50:22 AM »
yep i am playing on easy mode,  that's  interesting though, Hmm wondering if I should try playing on normal mode to compare. hmm well hopefully with more practice i can 1cc this.
Touhou games 1cced(sadly on easy mode) MOF,DDC,IN,TD,POFV,UFO,EOSD,SA

Nolegs the Cat

• >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ. >Sʜᴇ ᴅᴇᴘᴇɴᴅs ᴏɴ ʏᴏᴜ.
« Reply #661 on: September 07, 2014, 07:01:09 AM »
yep i am playing on easy mode,  that's  interesting though, Hmm wondering if I should try playing on normal mode to compare. hmm well hopefully with more practice i can 1cc this.

I forgot to say it last post, but welcome to MotK! :)

Make no mistake, PCB on normal is definitely harder then PCB on easy.
It's just the gap is smaller then most games. Say.... nothing like UFO easy (nothing special for an easy mode) to UFO normal (hardest or second hardest normal mode in the series, debatable).
If you intend to move up to normal, though....
PCB would be a good place to start. It's not that hard but not all cuddling about it ala IN or MoF.
Otherwise IN is another good choice as long as you don't become too reliant on the extended deathbomb timer.

---

Also, in a recent UFO normal run, I derped at the beginning of stage six... by bumping into a rice bullet once I had killed all of the fairies spawning them. -Sigh-
I then proceeded to derp die on Devil's Recitation, and then AGAIN on Flying Fantastica... twice.
I entered with 7 extra lives, and ended it with three. -Sigh-
It's still a good run, but had I not been a massive derp it could've been a lot better.

As for UFO hard.... geh, I might get a few lunatic clears first. Eventually. :V
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:34:09 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

« Reply #662 on: September 07, 2014, 07:15:23 AM »
thanks! i've 1cced IN and DDC so far on easy and trying to hopefully 1 cc them on normal.  It may just be me but UFO's easy mode is hard as hell for me, someone made a previous post where ufo was more reliant on reflexes so maybe that's it. I don;t think i;ve ever gotten so pissed off at a game though.

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #663 on: September 07, 2014, 07:35:20 AM »
thanks! i've 1cced IN and DDC so far on easy and trying to hopefully 1 cc them on normal.  It may just be me but UFO's easy mode is hard as hell for me, someone made a previous post where ufo was more reliant on reflexes so maybe that's it. I don;t think i;ve ever gotten so pissed off at a game though.

I'd recommend against trying DDC on normal for now... it was my fourth to last normal clear, and it's much harder then most of the other games on normal, behind only EOSD, SA and UFO imo.
UFO gives a lot of resources... the most in the series; make sure to bomb well and learn to stream (which applies for all modes, it's moving slowly from one side of the screen to another to herd bullets aimed directly at you) and you should be fine. It's still one of the harder easy modes, but... not as hard as PCB or SA in that department. I'd recommend going for red UFOs mainly, and make sure to fill them before popping; the extra lives helps a lot.
It's hard, but you'll get it in time. Practice makes perfect, and in shmups of all game genres there are no short cuts.

If you'd like to know, here is how I'd rate difficulties for both easy and normal mode:

Easy: IN < TD < MoF < DDC < EOSD < UFO == PCB < SA

Normal: IN < TD < MoF < PCB << DDC < EOSD < SA <-> UFO (UFO vs SA is debatable, most would say SA is harder though)

TD has the easiest patterns overall, so it might actually be a good idea to start on that so it eases you into the difficulty.
But it's still harder then the easy mode games, so make sure you can handle those first. But the trance can take some getting used to, and before you do it has the most punishing gameplay mechanics in the series by far.
MoF has hax bombs, I'd recommend to play it later so you don't become reliant on them.

Also, as a general tip, watch replays! watching replays can show you how to dodge parts you find tough, be it through orthodox methods or unorthodox methods. You could always upload your own replays, too, and ask for critique.

---

As for the obligatory fail, when I was trying to perfect TD stage 4 I died like... 5 times on the last spell total, and only once in another part of the stage. :getdown:
« Last Edit: September 07, 2014, 07:52:53 AM by Nolegs the Cat »

Mr Jovial

• Commander of the Whale Legion
  • ~Having a whale of a time~
« Reply #664 on: September 07, 2014, 11:32:40 AM »
*sees on my records that I have 99 LNB clears*
"Oh snap, 100th clear, dis gon b hypee"
Three hours later and I haven't managed a clear because I keep ragequitting. Keep dying to stupid crap like "Shoot the Moon". Also, one run I died to "Mind Stopper" because I was too aggressive on going through a gap. Run after that I died because I was too slow because that gap opened up at stupid times. Another run I end up dying to "Brilliant Dragon Bullet" and then Kaguya's 2nd non and on both occasions, the deathwave ended the attack. What is this luck...Seriously, fuck my life in half...

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #665 on: September 07, 2014, 12:34:28 PM »
I'm not sure why you call SA Easy one of the hardest Easy Modes, Nolegs. The gap between SA Easy and Normal is absolutely massive - Easy actually is pretty easy because there are so few bullets and they tend to be spread out. Nowhere near the level of bullets in PCB Easy, which is arguably what makes that one harder than most Easy Modes to begin with. Also no annoying gameplay mechanics to worry about (looking at you UFO).
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #666 on: September 07, 2014, 01:44:47 PM »
...100th clear. "LNN". Failed Rising World with 03 on the timer.

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #667 on: September 07, 2014, 07:40:05 PM »
I'm not sure why you call SA Easy one of the hardest Easy Modes, Nolegs. The gap between SA Easy and Normal is absolutely massive - Easy actually is pretty easy because there are so few bullets and they tend to be spread out. Nowhere near the level of bullets in PCB Easy, which is arguably what makes that one harder than most Easy Modes to begin with. Also no annoying gameplay mechanics to worry about (looking at you UFO).

Well, I don't find it hard. At all. But it's the easy mode I did most recently (read: sometime last year) and I died a few times (at least once or twice due to trying things I'd seen on replays/videos that I wouldn't try on normal and derping), more then what most easy modes could do. (looking at you IN)

Also, Jovial, I feel you about derping at Shoot the Moon.  :colonveeplusalpha:

?q

• Lurking librarian
  • and moe sound effect
« Reply #668 on: September 07, 2014, 11:43:31 PM »
*plays each stage in practice mode
*clears with some of the best runs I've ever done
*attempts full run
*cannot get to second boss's first spell without dying

I'll admit, I'm losing patience.

Mr.Magic

THIS IS THE MOST PAIN I'VE EVER EXPERIENCED
« Reply #669 on: September 09, 2014, 11:09:42 PM »
I beat Hell's Artifical Sun, have no lives AND DIE ON THE VERY. LAST. BULLET. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

Please check for relevant general-purpose threads before creating a new topic. -Karisa
« Last Edit: September 09, 2014, 11:29:01 PM by Karisa »

« Reply #670 on: September 11, 2014, 04:10:56 AM »
FUCK UFO, POS GAME BASED OFF GODAMN LUCK(if this post comes of as biased later sorry the rage in me.

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #671 on: September 11, 2014, 04:51:40 AM »
FUCK UFO, POS GAME BASED OFF GODAMN LUCK(if this post comes of as biased later sorry the rage in me.

.... Maybe you should do the other games on easy, first? You'll have more experience for UFO when it comes, and it'll give you time to calm down.
Either way, maybe take it easy? :yukkuri: :munch:

« Reply #672 on: September 11, 2014, 04:59:04 AM »
yeah i let the rage get to me >_>. urggh i don't think i'll ever get past stage 3 again, this game relies way to much on reflexes. It also relies on me not getting trapped to dumb bullet spawn. this honestly feels worse than eosd.

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #673 on: September 11, 2014, 05:43:04 AM »
yeah i let the rage get to me >_>. urggh i don't think i'll ever get past stage 3 again, this game relies way to much on reflexes. It also relies on me not getting trapped to dumb bullet spawn. this honestly feels worse than eosd.

At least some of the games need to be hard, y'know :V
But keep trying. You'll get it eventually ::)

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #674 on: September 12, 2014, 12:49:23 PM »
If there is one thing than angers me in all Touhou games, it's music track name popping up at the start of boss fights. Especially bothersome if you skip all the dialogue, which I usually do. It covers part of the gameplay area and is a major eyesore. It's mostly an issue if you hang around the bottom of the screen, but it usually is a perfectly viable strategy. Unless that damned thing is around. Seriously, I've been losing lives and bombs on a consistent basis all the time I was playing Touhou just because that useless text shows up. Why does it have to be in gameplay area and not, say, in the screen area below it? Why doesn't it fade out when I approach, even though actually important gauges in the opposite corner do? ZUN, what the hell?

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #675 on: September 12, 2014, 12:55:59 PM »
I'm actually really curious to hear all these places where the music titles legitimately get in the way of dodging. I can name exactly one situation where this comes up: the Satori fight. Except her opening pattern is symmetric and you can just go through it on the left instead of the right if it's that much of a problem.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

CyberAngel

• Retired
« Reply #676 on: September 12, 2014, 01:20:35 PM »
Can't remember ALL places I had this problem at, but just from playing EoSD today - on Meiling, Sakuya and Remi. I recall it was quite an issue with IN Spell Practice - over a dozen spellcards were automatic failure on first try because of it. First example that comes to mind is Eirin's Genealogy. Oh, and staying higher doesn't really help, it's still too much of a distraction. I mean, if nobody else has this problem, then good for you, but it sure is a thing for me. The fact that I actually prefer dodging things to the right doesn't help.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2014, 01:23:09 PM by C.Angel »

« Reply #677 on: September 12, 2014, 04:04:29 PM »
IN Reisen fight is another case where the music title gets in the way. The words indicating the music change take up about half the playable area on the bottom of the screen. I'm also a case where I prefer doing my dodges to the right instead of left. Sort of something I kind of got used to, but its pretty annoying to deal with.

« Reply #678 on: September 12, 2014, 04:32:38 PM »
You're never supposed to read the bullets where the music title is located at. If the music title is distracting your field of vision, you're looking at the wrong place.

« Reply #679 on: September 12, 2014, 05:47:40 PM »
I remember that when I played IN, the music title at the beginning of the Reisen fight bothered me enough that I'd stop fast-forwarding through the pre-fight dialogue there, and just wait for the music title to go away before actually beginning the fight. But, other than that, I don't recall any other place in the Touhou games where the music title actually annoyed me.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #680 on: September 12, 2014, 06:00:29 PM »
Depending on what RNG I got, I remember the music title occasionally giving me problems on Kanako's first nonspell. Never had that problem on anything else though. Then again, maybe I was just fooling myself into believing that it was the music title and not that the attack was just too hard for me on those attempts O_o

« Reply #681 on: September 13, 2014, 03:54:30 AM »
not really rage anymore because i raged for like 2 seconds then burst out laughing but i was so close to getting a legit 1 cc of mof with reimu b but then died right by a bullet right when kanko exploded.

Mr Jovial

« Reply #682 on: September 13, 2014, 06:02:40 PM »
Keep dying to stupid crap like "Shoot the Moon".
I figured out that I lacked a certain skill during that attack. That skill's real name is incomprehensible to most so it is commonly referred to instead as "Waiting for the lasers to disappear before trying to go through them". Oops.

Nolegs the Cat

« Reply #683 on: September 13, 2014, 10:53:27 PM »
2MNB MoF normal mode.
...Least none of the derps were to Shrine Hunting ritual this time  :getdown:

Mr Jovial

« Reply #684 on: September 14, 2014, 06:54:41 PM »
Another technical LNN. Failed "Rising World" again with 04 on the timer. Got stuck in the corner due to bad RNG on the bullets at the start of the last phase and a fast bullet ended it. That makes 6 runs with 1 mistake :qq:
Pls Kaguya.

EDIT: And of course, when I go and do my usual practice of "Rising World" which is just 5 captures, it takes me 5 attempts. Not to mention that the other run I did today also captured "Rising World". This game is mean :<
« Last Edit: September 14, 2014, 07:03:27 PM by Mr Jovial »

« Reply #685 on: September 14, 2014, 07:24:37 PM »
If there is one thing than angers me in all Touhou games, it's music track name popping up at the start of boss fights. Especially bothersome if you skip all the dialogue, which I usually do. It covers part of the gameplay area and is a major eyesore. It's mostly an issue if you hang around the bottom of the screen, but it usually is a perfectly viable strategy. Unless that damned thing is around. Seriously, I've been losing lives and bombs on a consistent basis all the time I was playing Touhou just because that useless text shows up. Why does it have to be in gameplay area and not, say, in the screen area below it? Why doesn't it fade out when I approach, even though actually important gauges in the opposite corner do? ZUN, what the hell?

Sakuya's picture blocked bullets that I needed to dodge one time...and I get nabbed quite a bit by bullets that disappear late >_<

microfolk

• I'ts absolutely
« Reply #686 on: September 16, 2014, 09:23:42 PM »
I can't believe I'm still having so many difficulties doing a IN Normal 1cc.
The first time I played this game was like five years ago and even if my history with Touhou has been spotty at best until last May I believe I've logged much more hours in IN than every other single game combined. I know really well every single second of this game but still every time I reach Marisa (I'm playing with Netherworld team) I crap my pants and I proceed to burn 2-3-4 lives, the first of which is inevitably at Milky Way which to this day may be the most difficult spellcard in the series for me.
The best part is that I know exactly what to do and how easy that spellcard really is but I'm too much scared and proceed every single time to die.
And in my last run I managed to die twice during the third stage, which I've played ~40 times at the beginning of July trying to perfect it.

Long story short I suck at IN because I can't read for my life star bullets and this fills me with anger because I'm full of hybris and can't believe how I could possible fail in the allegedly easiest game in the series. :V

« Reply #687 on: September 19, 2014, 05:17:35 AM »
So, I am not really good with writing mad wall of texts (That, and my English is Awful), even though I really kind of want to...

So instead, I will just leave this here:

I don't know about you, but very few scenes so far have more than 300+ attempts.

Around 2-3 have 500+

1 has 800 attempts (4-6) BUT all of those were No item?d already...

And then, from 800 attempts we go to 4,000 attempts...

I Just don't get it. I Don't understand this scene at all. I truly don't, I think its just a MASSIVE RNG test...

I don't really even care anymore, I just want to No Item it (And all ISC scenes. Only 7 left with the one in the pic) and it actually kind of started to piss me off...

SOMEDAY...

Mr Jovial

« Reply #688 on: September 20, 2014, 03:19:39 PM »
Agh, why Kaguya. Why do I get decent RNG on the fights that don't really matter.

I reach you on a 3 miss run? I get away with 1 miss.
I try in stage practice? Also 1 miss.
I try in a run that was only 1 miss until then? 4 miss and I didn't even reach the last spells because I ragequit.

Also, I really need to get an NMNB of this stage at some point. The last time I managed it was in February and its getting a bit demoralising :<

EDIT: NO GAME PLS, when I implied that I wanted better stage 6 RNG I didn't mean I wanted awful stage 2/3 RNG ;-;

EDIT2: Fuck Mystia.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2014, 07:06:32 PM by Mr Jovial »

« Reply #689 on: September 20, 2014, 11:06:04 PM »
Is there a good explanation as to why someone who has done 2 1cc Lunatics  (PCB and IN, the easiest ones okay, but still) to be having trouble with TD NORMAL of all the things?

To put things in perspective: It usually takes me 2 or 3 semi-serious runs to 1cc any Touhou on Normal difficulty.

TD Normal (!!!) already frustrated 5 of my runs. FIVE.

I now cant stomach the whole "TD EASIEST GAME LOLOL" anymore (That would be PCB).

It may be easiest in terms of pure danmaku, but it more than compensates the easiness of the patterns with the fact that you got only like 4 lives for the ENTIRE GAME!

I  would rather play a game were the patterns are actually challenging and theres a fair amount of resources... it just seems more balanced and enjoyable IMHO.