Author Topic: Your favorite touhou style songs  (Read 5609 times)

Your favorite touhou style songs
« on: April 16, 2013, 11:28:20 PM »
Hey everyone!  After recently finding Wanwan's channel on niconico I've been listening to touhou-esque songs all day and I'm just fascinated by them.  The pieces composed for fangames and even those just made to sound like ZUN's are just so good to listen to!  So I wanted you guys to share some of your favorite fanmade touhou style songs, I'd love listening to more of those!

Here's one of Wanwan's which is probably my favorite: http://www.mmcafe.com/nico.html#http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm17465559

I also love his work on The Last Comer, there's not a single piece which isn't amazing.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
Re: Your favorite touhou style songs
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 11:34:58 PM »
I'd have to agree with you there. I've only heard Wanwan's work from The Last Comer and Mystical Power Plant, but those songs are awesome. I can't wait for Mystical Power Plant to come out not only for the gameplay, but for the music. I'm not joking. It's that good in my opinion.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 12:03:18 AM »
Holy damn I have never heard of Mystical Power Plant before!  That game looks so amazing, checked the first stage and it looks almost as good as the last comer.  Can't wait to play it now, thanks a lot!

Drake

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 01:47:53 AM »
Wanwan I find isn't all that great. I could go into detail about that but eh. He certainly has quantity, though?

Senpi has this thing where his songs are like "yeah this song is awesome" -> "still good" -> "ok nope awful". Way too much noise in many of his songs that otherwise could be great. He just sort of makes a mess trying to go over the top and I wish he wouldn't.

Yosiyosi I've found is hit-or-miss. He has good songs but I don't ever want to hear Rumble Temple again.

Samidare is Samidare.

Kiryuu is pretty good. He has a nice grasp of each game's individual flavour and how to flesh together nice melodies. His stuff has a lot of character. He doesn't do Touhou-styled works anymore though.

Taji was my favorite for a while. He has an impressive handle on the SD-90; what instruments to use, how and where to use them and combine them.

Ryuuou, I think, is simply the best. I cannot praise him highly enough. Every new composition he comes out with is just fantastic.
ねずみ色の夕立
海賊の島 ~ Romantic Sea
【神霊廟風】 東方妖々夢 ~ Ancient Temple
albalbgljfldbasda
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 01:49:24 AM by Drake »

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2013, 04:08:37 AM »
Oh wow.  This Ryuuou guy's songs sure are amazing!  I'm listening to Romantic Sea right now and it certainly is fantastic.  The other two videos are loading, but these trumpets, I think I've heard them before.  Think it was in UFO's fanmade phantasm?  Were those songs his as well?  They certainly had the same quality of what I'm listening now. 

Thanks a lot for sharing these names with me Drake!  I'll try looking into more of them later on since they all seem to be pretty great!

Also, I heard some of the Mystical Power Plant, and geez that game sounds really fun!  Can't wait for it to be released, the character designs are rather amazing so far.  Although those midbosses are kind of... I can't point it certainly, but their art looks somewhat awkward to me? 

Edit: Opened the other link and turns out to be the very song I talked about, hahahaha.  Thanks for linking this to me Drake, I really wanted to give this song another listen.  I wish I knew what was its name, last time I checked somebody named it "Mouse Colored Evening Rain" but I'm not entirely sure if that was it. 

The Ancient temple remix was also impressive, I don't know if my ear caught it well enough but did I listen to it as a mash up of it and TD's Stage 1's song?  Because that sure was a brilliant idea.

By the way, what's up with Rumble Temple?  It's a good song
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 04:15:06 AM by Linnah »

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2013, 04:32:09 AM »
I think most Touhou-style songs are unique in there own way. Except the ones that just don't work.
But no one can beat ZUN in his own style. No one.
I think I'm addicted to Romantic Sea though. It's my new homework song now.  :3
I, sadly, only have one music to share because trying to find one is hard.
Endless Blue
I hope he releases other songs.
Currently a normal player

Arcorann

• hey catgirl
  • Surprisingly unkempt
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2013, 06:47:59 AM »
I'd have to agree with you there. I've only heard Wanwan's work from The Last Comer and Mystical Power Plant, but those songs are awesome. I can't wait for Mystical Power Plant to come out not only for the gameplay, but for the music. I'm not joking. It's that good in my opinion.

If you want to listen to Wanwan's BGM, go play Youkai Kori Kassen. That should tide you over for a bit.

Validon98

• Deathguard Night Sparrow
  • Harbingers, yo.
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2013, 11:33:24 AM »
If you want to listen to Wanwan's BGM, go play Youkai Kori Kassen. That should tide you over for a bit.

The music in that game's by Wanwan? Huh, I never noticed it before. It's probably because I've taken to playing games muted because it's hard listening to them all the time.
Derping at Touhou since June 2012, derping at RPing Touhou since Feburary 2013.

Devil of Decline Partial English Gameplay Patch!
Let's Play Nightmare of Rebellion!

Quwanti

• Pixel stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2013, 02:26:25 PM »
I really love listening to songs which are done in a game's style (like the Ancient Temple done in TD style). So I really like Ryuuou too. Another person who have done this a few times is FD. This and this is just amazing. There is also samidare with this cool track. Or 柚月 with this. And at last, the person who did this. I probably forgot a few, but these are the ones that I remembered straight up.

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2013, 02:58:25 PM »
I'm only familiar with Wanwan, and only with his work from The Last Comer. Among that game's songs, I can probably narrow down my favorite to Iesua's theme. Though I'll say that there are times when Wanwan's style becomes noticeably distinct from ZUN's, and it can make it hard to really get into some of his songs.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2013, 04:35:42 AM »
I suppose there are times his songs really lack that feeling ZUN's got, but he does more good pieces than bad nah?  Least from the ones I've seen, hah.

By the way can somebody please post the Nico accounts of the people Drake mentioned?  I really wanna give them a listen since I didn't know there were many other composers like that!  Would love finding the accounts myself but I'm far from learning how to type them in japanese. 

Drake

« Last Edit: April 18, 2013, 05:09:00 AM by Drake »

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2013, 08:57:32 PM »
Damn, heard a bit from some of these guys and most of them have so many great songs!  Thank you very much Drake!

Edit:  Bumped into this composer's work, didn't check his nicochannel yet but from this piece he seems to be pretty amazing!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yufXkdn1NYM
« Last Edit: April 22, 2013, 07:27:37 AM by Linnah »

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 05:12:53 AM »
Anyone knows who made these touhou-style themes? I enjoy them alot but haven't seen any artist name anywhere.
(Mrs.Estacion): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oh8CkHG4nfU
(Reimu - Ancient Dream): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hzOtvik-JwI&list=FLYEukp-8s2QY9LD2LbiZRlQ&index=16

EDIT: Thanks for the help, but I really shouldn't have missed the first one <.<".
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:58:24 PM by Darkness1 »

Drake

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 06:09:43 AM »
The artist names are in both links. 柊 烏影 and 深蒼穹.

Andrew

• Retired player
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2013, 01:03:30 AM »
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=doYxxzE40UU
I don't know if this counts, but I really like this modern Touhou style remix of Legendary Illusion - Infinite Being, originally the final boss theme of the PC-98 game Mystic Square.