Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)  (Read 44824 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)
« Reply #510 on: April 23, 2013, 07:56:52 AM »
>What do we know that we can detect with our dousing powers that is also commonly used in gardening? Minerals, materials, that sort of thing.

>Many gardening tools are made at least partially from metal and thus should be straightforward to detect, though the relatively small quantity used would limit the range you could expect to discern these from, particularly if there were natural deposits of similar metal in the area. Certain fertilizers might also be detectable, though this is rather more dodgy and you think would depend on knowing exactly what you were looking for ahead of time - you have no idea what such a youkai might use, if they would even use anything remotely conventional at all. While the mineral content of certain soils can feel distinct from one another, you doubt this would be of any use to you here. There is considerable natural variation in mineral content from one place to another anyway and generally no reason to flag one variation as relevant while the others are not; even a soil sample from your target location probably wouldn't contrast with its surroundings enough to get a solid match until you were almost on top of it. The actual plants are a lost cause for you, of course.

« Reply #511 on: April 23, 2013, 08:46:45 AM »
>So there's mostly no way to know if we'll be able to detect the garden or anything in it until we get closer?

« Reply #512 on: April 23, 2013, 08:53:29 AM »
>So there's mostly no way to know if we'll be able to detect the garden or anything in it until we get closer?

>Since you know so little about the garden's contents or its environs, it's very hard to predict how well you could detect it. For all you know, Yuka has a warehouse full of hihiirokane spades and trowels - wouldn't that be nice....

« Reply #513 on: April 23, 2013, 09:42:06 AM »
>"Hmm. Well, that's all right."
>"But maybe you can help me. I'm a bit new to town here. What would be a good place to go to get a map for myself? And some supplies, for the road."

« Reply #514 on: April 23, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
>"Hmm. Well, that's all right."
>"But maybe you can help me. I'm a bit new to town here. What would be a good place to go to get a map for myself? And some supplies, for the road."

>"What kind of supplies?" the woman asks, then gives a little self-effacing smile. "I'm not much of the traveling type."

« Reply #515 on: April 23, 2013, 10:02:01 AM »
>"Well right now, what I need most is a good map of the local area, and the area around Isir's Cross."

« Reply #516 on: April 23, 2013, 10:56:38 AM »
>"Well right now, what I need most is a good map of the local area, and the area around Isir's Cross."

>"Well, there's a good bookseller on Whitemantle that I think also deals in maps," she says. "Morgenstern and Rowe. Two blocks down from the Menagerie. Do you know where that is?"

« Reply #517 on: April 23, 2013, 11:36:35 AM »
>Do we?
>If not, "'fraid not. I'm sort of the new Seeker in town."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #518 on: April 23, 2013, 01:36:52 PM »
>"How much do they charge?"

« Reply #519 on: April 23, 2013, 10:43:41 PM »
>Do we?
>If not, "'fraid not. I'm sort of the new Seeker in town."

>You do not.
>"Oh, hmmm, well it's... do you know where the Scarlet Statuary Gardens are?"

>"How much do they charge?"

>The woman shakes her head. "I don't know off the top of my head, sorry. But their collection is usually reasonably priced."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #520 on: April 24, 2013, 04:36:07 AM »
>Do we? If so, ask her to continue.
>Presuming not, shake head and say, "No, I only got in yesterday. So it's probably best to pretend I'm dumb enough that it seems a miracle I can breathe."

« Reply #521 on: April 24, 2013, 05:30:57 AM »
>Do we? If so, ask her to continue.
>Presuming not, shake head and say, "No, I only got in yesterday. So it's probably best to pretend I'm dumb enough that it seems a miracle I can breathe."

>Your eyes may have brushed across it when you examined the city maps yesterday, but it doesn't stand out distinctly in your mind. You shake your head.
>The librarian laughs. "A little harsh on yourself, isn't that? Well, let's see..."
>Though a little trial and error, the woman manages to communicate a workable set of directions to you; the bookseller is to the east of the city center, it looks like, and probably a good fourty minute walk from where you are now.

« Reply #522 on: April 24, 2013, 11:42:15 AM »
>Inventory

« Reply #523 on: April 24, 2013, 12:02:18 PM »
>Inventory

>Kumokirimaru (worn at side)
>Prism Pendant (around neck)
>Seeker's Badge (pinned to chest)
>328 1/2 Val Razuan guilders
>Compass
>Traveling pack
>Traveling rations
>Canteen (partially empty)
>Lockpicks
>4 kunai
>Picture of Sokrates
>Fuwafuwa Heart Droplet
>Antique Val Razuan 1 guilder coin
>Dowsing rods
>Tie-dyed umbrella
>Spool of baling twine
>Bottle of Kumokirimaru-imbued medicine
>Empty sachet
>List of physicians' contact addresses
>Neu's note
>Pencil
>100 feet of rope
>2 glowsticks
>2 torches
>Small heatstone
>Basic grappling hook
>Blue ribbon
>Two spare outfits (one somewhat damaged)
>Piece of peppermint-raspberry chewing gum
>Recipe for Athran's Vigor
>Potted Bittercress
>Chitsuki Ukizaki's business card

« Reply #524 on: April 24, 2013, 01:55:42 PM »
You know, guys, I have to admit. I'm getting tired of just bouncing around town looking for answers that I'm quite sure we can't find, at least here in town.
I vote we go get ourselves a couple of maps, and then get to Isir's Cross and see what happens.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #525 on: April 24, 2013, 03:28:48 PM »
I concur. Take the plant with us, if it blooms we know to get the hell out of dodge.

If we find the place, we have a trade good perhaps.

« Reply #526 on: April 24, 2013, 07:03:00 PM »
Although....
I do wonder if it might be worth our time to have the plant checked out by a holy magician. Someone who might be more well versed in the ways of the gods than we are, and that could tell us why Minoriko's dirt seems to have magically stopped working.

« Reply #527 on: April 25, 2013, 03:08:42 AM »
Maybe it just ran out of juice, though, which we might be able to tell ourselves?

>Could we detect the magic in the soil Minoriko gave us?

And I get the feeling I may have asked that before, but if I have, I forgot.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #528 on: April 25, 2013, 04:10:56 AM »
>Let's get motorin' toward that mapatorium, as well. After thanking our benefactor for the information.

« Reply #529 on: April 25, 2013, 04:14:31 AM »
>Along the way, though, keep our eyes open for any stores that post notification of Seeker's bargains. If any are to be found.

EDIT:
>Actually, scratch that.
>Before we head to the map place the lady told us about, pop back to the Guildhall to check which stores offer us Seeker's good business deals. THEN go visit the mapatorium, if indeed it still seems like the pick of the litter.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2013, 04:19:55 AM by Sourtori »

« Reply #530 on: April 25, 2013, 09:38:27 AM »
>Could we detect the magic in the soil Minoriko gave us?

>Not distinctly; powers of faith are sometimes very subtle in presence in the physical world, and really quite different from conventional magic. It doesn't seem to have changed in any way that you can notice over the last day, at any rate.

>Let's get motorin' toward that mapatorium, as well. After thanking our benefactor for the information.
>Before we head to the map place the lady told us about, pop back to the Guildhall to check which stores offer us Seeker's good business deals. THEN go visit the mapatorium, if indeed it still seems like the pick of the litter.

>You thank the woman for her help, then depart campus and make your way back to the guildhall.

>It turns out the record of guild-affiliated vendors is not quite what you'd hoped it would be. The list has a decent number of names on it, at least once you can gather it all in one place, but most are more akin to endorsements or records of good-conduct regarding contracts than real business partnerships - discounts are both scarcer and less generous than you might have hoped. Of course, it's not that surprising the Guild would have less influence here among the wealthy and powerful than back in its heartland; the wealthy may make generous clients, but you gather most try to leverage influence under their own banners than afford it directly to the Guild. Apparently it's quite a bit more common for businesses to extend discounts to retainers of specific Houses, which some Seekers here also count as, though Sachi's words echo in your head as the receptionist mentions this.
>Still, you find a few merchants dealing in wilderness gear that might be worth checking out, even if you don't expect to save too much off the top by doing so. For what it's worth, the bookseller you were pointed towards also seems to have a solid reputation, though it's questionable if it would be more affordable from this source than another.

>"If it's just a map you're after," Sachi says, having wandered downstairs while you were pulling records, "I think we have a bunch in the back that- " She throws a glance at the receptionist, currently preoccupied speaking with a new petitioner, then lowers her voice. "-that no one but her will care if you run off with."

« Reply #531 on: April 25, 2013, 10:40:42 AM »
>Place a finger to chin thoughtfully. Free IS the magic price, after all.
>Also in a low voice, "Think there's one for the Isir's Cross area?"

« Reply #532 on: April 25, 2013, 10:44:51 AM »
>Place a finger to chin thoughtfully. Free IS the magic price, after all.
>Also in a low voice, "Think there's one for the Isir's Cross area?"

>Sachi shrugs. "Who knows? Might be one of Sasa Dioro for all the dust they're under."

« Reply #533 on: April 25, 2013, 10:58:11 AM »
>"Well, I ain't afraid of no dust."
>Nod. "Thanks."
>Take a step in that direction, then pause. "By any chance, is that Riza woman still upstairs?"

« Reply #534 on: April 25, 2013, 11:14:01 AM »
>"Well, I ain't afraid of no dust."
>Nod. "Thanks."
>Take a step in that direction, then pause. "By any chance, is that Riza woman still upstairs?"

>"Should hope not," the rabbit quips. "Bad profession for that."
>You actually aren't certain what direction the maps would be stored in, but you ask your other question nonetheless.
>"Nah, she left an hour or two back to do... something." Sachi gestures vaguely.

« Reply #535 on: April 25, 2013, 11:27:57 AM »
>Shrug.
>Glance around.
>If the direction she indicated does not immediately present itself, ask, "All right, so which in the back is the back?"

« Reply #536 on: April 25, 2013, 11:32:48 AM »
>Shrug.
>Glance around.
>If the direction she indicated does not immediately present itself, ask, "All right, so which in the back is the back?"

>Sachi casually jerks her head in the direction of the stairs. "They're up this way. C'mon."
>She turns and heads in that direction.

« Reply #537 on: April 25, 2013, 11:41:53 AM »
>After dat wabbit.

« Reply #538 on: April 25, 2013, 12:15:06 PM »
>After dat wabbit.

>You follow Sachi up the stairs, past the lounge and then up the next flight to a small landing framed by several doors. She flicks one of the doorknobs with a finger - there is a faint clicking noise - then in nearly the same motions twists the knob open and ducks inside.

>It is a small storeroom, it seems, rather cramped and dingy, but more neatly organized than you might have suspected. The narrow space is lined on either side with long wooden shelves covered in boxes, jars, and twine-wrapped bundles of papers, tools, or other miscellanea. Most are labelled, even if the contents of the pen jar would be perfectly obvious without a textual aid. And there are hammers and cans of paint and lockpicks and diving gear and empty binders and even a pair of dowsing rods tied together in the corner - much less stylish than yours, if you're perfectly honest. The density of the room's contents makes it hard to survey everything at a glance, though.
>Sachi grabs a box and pulls it aside to reveal another. "They're in here somewhere."

« Reply #539 on: April 25, 2013, 12:25:38 PM »
>Quality assessment of wabbit booty.
>Status of dust allergy.
>Pick up pots and throw them until we acquire map and ten rupees.
>Begin map-search.