Author Topic: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 3  (Read 45358 times)

Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 3
« on: November 29, 2012, 12:45:00 PM »
>You are Byakuren Hijiri, 18 years old, resident of the city of Mayoiga, caretaker (owner) of Rin Kaenbyou, resident of the Moonside apartments, and third year student of Mayoiga High. A few days ago, you were the most popular girl in school, one of the most well-known and liked girls around town. And then you touched a strange doll, and saw a world not your own. That was the day that everything changed, and you became Magical Lotus, the Hero of the Heart.

>And right now, you wish had more caffeine with breakfast this morning. Rin was barely able to wake you at all, and it wasn't until you stepped outside that you were able to shake the lead from your eyes. The splash of rain you got as a result of neglecting your umbrella helped with that as well. It's a cold November morning, rainy and dreary, just the kind of day that most of your classmates would say goes very nicely with Mondays and exams.
>The latter of which is what faced you in first period: Wriggle-sensei's math midterm. Which, after studying it for a few minutes, you decided was not going to be quite as simple as it would have normally. You are a good math student, ordinarily. It's not one of your specialties, but you do have a good head for numbers and excellent study habits, and on a normal day, passing one of Wriggle's exams would not have posed too great an obstacle. Today, however, you find that you haven't entirely recovered from your escapades yesterday. You're more awake than you were last night, of course, but you're not yourself yet.
>Which doesn't surprise you terribly, all things considered. When you first transformed last Wednesday to save Kyouko from that first youma, you spent nearly the whole of Thursday in bed recovering. It might have been better for you to sleep in today, but your sense of responsibility got the better of you. Plus, not only did you have this exam to deal with, there's a number of things you still want to do today. To say nothing of the fact that skipping an exam would have made the whole of the student body, and the vast majority of the faculty, curious as to where you where, and you can do without that kind of attention at present. Whether or not you'll have the energy to handle the rest of your tasks is a matter of some debate at the moment, but you can decide that after you finish Wriggle's test. Maybe after a nap at home, if nothing comes up.... But again, first things first.

>Your arrival at school that day was a bit different than the norm. Being the Morning Star, one of the schools idols, you're quite used to getting a great deal of attention at school. Today, however, your schoolmates, while giving you the attention you normally got, seemed to be whispering amongst themselves more than they normally do. You didn't catch all the details, but words like "Manari" "Eagle" and "Riding a tiger" seemed to be repeated at places. Evidently word of some of your adventures has already spread around town, specifically your association with the ill-reputed Eagle and her gang of no-goodniks, and your journey back to the Shrine of the Metal Tiger after your battle with the Demonic Champion of Water, where you rode atop the back of Kiku, one of the leaders of the shrine, as well as a fellow Magical Girl like yourself.
>The third member of your group of Heroes, Lily White, was also being discussed. She appears to have not shown up for school. You can't say you're surprised at that. She may have ended her night earlier than you did yesterday, but she was drained when she did so. In fact, you fully expect her to sleep until almost nightfall, if she doesn't get awoken as you were. There was also talk of a transfer student today, as well as gossip about why Ran's was closed. You know perfectly well why, but keep it to yourself. You can almost see the spirited but aging oni Doubles hard at work, cleaning up the damage done by the first youma you fought yesterday, and defeated with some help from Doubles himself, as well as the store owner Ran Yakumo, and Kiku.

>You muddle through the exam as best as you can as Rin sends encouraging looks your way. Letty would be doing so, too, but she's a very focused woman when there's a task she has yet to complete. She may not look up from her paper until all is said and done. You appreciate the sentiment regardless. After 45 minutes, you feel you've done the best that you can with the paper before you, leaving you with only the bonus question, worth an extra 2% on your mark. Such inclusions are rather rare, or at least have been since Mima became vice principal, but principal Unzan manages to sneak them in now and then. He enjoys giving his students opportunities like that, while Mima is much stricter.
>You can't help but smile at the bonus question he managed to include on this one: "How does one reverse a properly executed figure four leglock? Failing that, how does one escape?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Magical Lotus - Mahou Shoujou Byakuren - Episode 3
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 01:12:55 PM »
>Ponder if "Whack them with a steel chair" is a valid answer in the Principal's estimation?
>How much time do we have left?

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 01:16:28 PM »
>Ponder if "Whack them with a steel chair" is a valid answer in the Principal's estimation?
>How much time do we have left?

>You'd probably get partial credit. Unzan is very much a 'face' man.
>A little bit less than five minutes.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 01:33:05 PM »
>Are we educated enough in the wrasslin' to know the answer is to roll over with your arms and weight onto your stomach so that the pressure is reversed? If so, put that down.
>Then go back and review the problem we're least confident in; test the answer, and see if it works. If not, try to figure out where our work went wrong and correct it.

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2012, 04:00:41 AM »
>Are we educated enough in the wrasslin' to know the answer is to roll over with your arms and weight onto your stomach so that the pressure is reversed? If so, put that down.
>Then go back and review the problem we're least confident in; test the answer, and see if it works. If not, try to figure out where our work went wrong and correct it.

>You are indeed. Marissa is an avid fan of pro wrestling, though she says it hasn't been quite the same the Jacob 'the Viper' Robertson retired. She doesn't look it, but Letty is also quite a fan, and the debates she's had with Nitori, who is a devout sumo fan, about which discipline is the superior have been truly epic. Your brother, too, is a big fan of the sport. He admired the athleticism, the physicality of the performers, who could do so many things that he, with his weak body, will never be able to.
>Between all of that, you are familiar with a very wide array of wrestlers, techniques, holds and maneuvers, including the classic figure 4, and how to reverse it to turn it into a submission hold on the other guy. In fact, you think you can recall three separate ways to apply the hold, so you mark them down as well. You figure the old man, as he is known affectionately by his students, will get a charge out of that. Might even be worth an extra point or two.
>Having done that, you return to a particular tricky equation and go through the solution steps one by one. Everything seems to be in order, until you catch one small error, a 4 where it should have been a 3. You quickly make the correction, and adjust the rest of the calculations accordingly. It looks much better, and just in time as well, as the chime sounds to end exam time. A chorus of sighs, groans and stretches accompany the chime.

« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2012, 04:04:07 AM »
>Rise and stretch as well, then turn our exam in.
>What do we have next?
>What time of the day is it, anyway?

« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 04:29:13 AM »
>Rise and stretch as well, then turn our exam in.
>What do we have next?
>What time of the day is it, anyway?

>Next period is homeroom/history, with Kamishirasawa-sensei.
>It is precisely 8:55 AM.
>Stretching your arms up over your head, and letting out a little yawn, you start to stand up to hand Wriggle your exam, but Rin heads you off. "Lemme take dat for ya, Byakuren." she offers.

« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 04:33:34 AM »
>Is the next class elsewhere, or still here?

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2012, 04:40:58 AM »
>Is the next class elsewhere, or still here?

>In this classroom.

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2012, 04:42:15 AM »
>"Very well, thank you."
>Hand Rin our exam.

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2012, 04:53:11 AM »
>"Very well, thank you."
>Hand Rin our exam.

>Letty lets out a big yawn as Rin takes your test and heads to the front of the room. Murasa, the class rep, does the same for others. Letty sounds almost as tired as you are. She glances over at you as she wipes at her right eye. "Think you did all right?

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2012, 04:55:14 AM »
>"I did as best I could. Not as well as I might like, but I think it will be alright. And yourself?"

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2012, 05:05:41 AM »
>"I did as best I could. Not as well as I might like, but I think it will be alright. And yourself?"

>"About the same. I hope." she adds with a somewhat sheepish grin. "I was working on a new manuscript, thought I could get a bit done before I sat down to study, and..." She got carried away. She often does.

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2012, 05:12:36 AM »
>Manuscript? Does she do creative writing on the side?

« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2012, 05:18:43 AM »
>Manuscript? Does she do creative writing on the side?

>As a matter of fact, she is a published author. Not a lot of people know that, as she doesn't make a big deal out of it. Letty's not the type of woman to advertise her talents. Mostly because praise and compliments fluster her fairly easily. But you know she has published at least two light novels. This, you think, would make her third.

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2012, 05:21:00 AM »
>Smile a little.
>"I understand how it is."

>What sort of stuff does she write?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2012, 05:22:50 AM »
>Is it any good?
>Does she make much off of it?

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2012, 05:44:53 AM »
>What sort of stuff does she write?
>Is it any good?
>Does she make much off of it?

>When you asked her about her work, she mostly just blushed and muttered, so Minoriko filled you in. Her first work was a romance novel, while her second was a fantasy. You've never actually read either one yourself yet. You've meant to, but you haven't had as much free time as you'd have liked. Her wages are likewise unknown, but her two novels were published by one of the larger companies in Yamato, so presumably she was paid rather well for them.

>Smile a little.
>"I understand how it is."

>"It's easy to get caught up in work." And it is for her. Minoriko has had to, more than once, keep an eye on her to make sure she's not overworking herself. The rest of you have wondered sometimes if Letty would forget to eat without Minoriko around to remind her.
>Rin returns as Letty chuckles at herself. "Maybe you should duck out, Byakuren, head home early." Rin suggests. "Ah know y'don't normally do that, but tests're over, an' I can take notes for ya."

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2012, 05:50:34 AM »
Unless someone thinks there's something more important that we really ought to be doing now, I figure we shouldn't cut classes without reason at this point. Sure, there are overall more important matters going on, but no indication presently that they are highly time-critical and Byakuren could probably use a dose of normalcy. Of course, perhaps she could also use another dose of sleep....

>How tired ARE we, anyway?

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2012, 05:55:09 AM »
>How tired ARE we, anyway?

>Tired enough to think about Rin's offer for more than a moment. You think that, if you laid your head down, you could probably sleep another 6 hours or so, at least. And that's on top of the nearly eight hours you got last night.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2012, 06:00:11 AM »
On an IC level, that's hella tempting I think.

>What are we to expect from our later classes? And how well do we do in them?

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2012, 06:01:47 AM »
Anyone have an opinion? Being rested for when we next need to perform heroics is good. Cutting classes is not so good. Would be nice if we knew when we next needed to perform said heroics, since there's always the chance for a nap after classes. Or maybe we could just skip the afternoon ones?

Fake edit: And it seems I was beaten to the punch. I'm honestly not sure. On a fundamental level, Magical Lotus business is obviously more important than classes. I think my straightarrow may be showing if I find myself conflicted on whether ducking out is irresponsible of us or not... ^^;

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2012, 06:28:36 AM »
>What are we to expect from our later classes? And how well do we do in them?

>With math over, the subsequent classes are history, english, chemistry, then lunch. Afternoon classes are biology, music and classic literature.
>While you are doing well in each of these, both chemistry and biology require more of your attention and work to maintain your grades, as you do not take to them as easily as you do the others.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2012, 04:57:12 AM by Sourfang, Guardian of Hope »

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2012, 06:46:06 AM »
>"That's a more tempting offer than I'd normally care to admit. But I'll be alright, I think; I do appreciate the concern, though."

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2012, 07:01:48 AM »
>"That's a more tempting offer than I'd normally care to admit. But I'll be alright, I think; I do appreciate the concern, though."

>Rin flicks her tails back and forth, but she nods slowly. "Awright, if you're sure."
>"Probably smart, too." Letty adds as Wriggle departs the classroom, exam papers in tow. "If Mima caught you sneaking out, there'd be hell to pay."

« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2012, 07:04:56 AM »
>"It is less a matter of the consequences than the principle. Though I would not be terribly saddened if someone decided to reschedule all of today for tomorrow."

« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2012, 07:22:00 AM »
>"It is less a matter of the consequences than the principle. Though I would not be terribly saddened if someone decided to reschedule all of today for tomorrow."

>Your little quip brings a smile back to Rin's face, as she returns to her seat, awaiting the arrival of Kamishirasawa-sensei. "I mightn't mind that, either." Letty agrees. "I'd just as soon be home with a warm mug of tea on days like this."
>About a minute or so later, the door opens again, and you expect to see Keine enter into the room to mark the beginning of history class. It is not Keine that enters, however, but the red-headed school groundskeeper Meiling Hong who enters the room, clad in a more formal qipao than she usually wears and carrying a small black leather suitcase. This draws a chorus or murmurs from your classmates.
>"China?" you hear Letty mutter, using the groundskeeper's nickname. "I didn't think Keine ever missed a day."

« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2012, 07:25:06 AM »
>"It may be a bit premature to assume she has, though even she must fall ill from time to time, I'm sure."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2012, 07:30:21 AM »
>"Perhaps someone lost a bet, and Miss Kamishirasawa is out taking care of the grass?"

« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2012, 07:47:19 AM »
>"It may be a bit premature to assume she has, though even she must fall ill from time to time, I'm sure."

>"Maybe, but it'd take one hell of a cold to keep her away."

>"Perhaps someone lost a bet, and Miss Kamishirasawa is out taking care of the grass?"

>Rin chuckles. "Bad day for that."
>"All right, settle down." Meiling calls, placing her bag on the desk in front of her. "Keine- I mean Kamishirawasa-sensei is absent today, so I'll be filling in for her classes today. Which means mostly independent study." She adds with a friendly grin. One of your classmates raises her hand. "Yes?"
>The woman in question, a dog-eared girl by the name of Haruna, says to Meiling, "It's Kamishirasawa, ma'am." and then sits back down.
>Rather than be offended, Meiling merely smiles, and chuckles slightly. "Don't tell her I said that." The room chuckles with her.