Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 270856 times)

Drake

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #900 on: July 09, 2013, 11:39:43 PM »
Cameos which make no sense. They were added by request from ZUN, who worked on the music. Shuusou Gyoku and Kioh Gyoku were made in the gap between MS and EoSD, and as such even if they tried to make some sort of connection it would have dissolved going into EoSD anyways.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Failure McFailFace

• I'm h...a...p...p...y...
  • Impor
« Reply #901 on: July 10, 2013, 05:29:53 AM »
Move as needed.

How big would a Touhou hitbox be in real life?

Just wondering.
1cc Easy: DDC (all) | 1cc Normal: UFO (SanA autobomb),  DDC (ReiA, SakA) , LoLK (Sanae PD)| EX clears: DDC (MarB Ultra) | Puzzle Games: StB: 10-X, DS: Hatate unlock, ISC: All clear

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #902 on: July 10, 2013, 05:40:06 AM »
The size of your lungs.

« Reply #903 on: July 10, 2013, 05:44:56 AM »

« Reply #904 on: July 10, 2013, 05:48:22 AM »
You already have one. It's called your heart.
checkFINISHED checkFINISHED checkFINISHED
checkcheckcheck FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
checkcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheckcheck
FINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHEDFINISHED
<Die The death>! <Sentence to death>! <Great equalizer is The Death>!

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #905 on: July 10, 2013, 05:48:59 AM »
Dammit, Wriggle beat me to it. :V

But yeah, I had imagined the real-life equivalent of a shooting game hitbox to be your heart, even if it is smaller in relation to your body. Size-wise would probably be closer to your lungs, as mentioned above.
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

« Reply #906 on: July 10, 2013, 07:11:23 AM »
Her having another name (i.e. Eiki Shiki) that they actually call her name makes it more odd, and her requiring the given job title of "the Yama of Xanadu" (in katakana, no less) rather than her just being called Yama or Enmaou because that's who they are, pretty much seals the deal even without all the other things. And why would this great figure handle a small magically-secluded place like Gensokyo anyways?

If you look at the way title works, their title is usually relevant to the game/manga at hand. For example, Reimu's title, Representative of the Eight Million, in Hopeless Masquerade is much different from her title in other games. Her title, Freewheeling Human, in Wild and Horned Hermit represents a different look of her from this manga.
Eiki's title is from Phantasmagoria of Flower Viewing and from that, what we get is that she is responsible for judging souls in Gensokyo, but from her dialogues, it is also implied she isn't the only one doing the judging of souls in Gensokyo.

Then, Perfect Momento in Strict Sense expands more about her. In PMiSS, they give her a different title. You view is different from mines in this. You find it odd why she isn't called Enma-o or Yama and I find it odd why she isn't just called Judge of Hell, since it really means the same thing, as far as judging authority is concerned.

If all of the Jizou statues are supposed to all represent Jizou Bosatsu, whose wish is to save everyone from Hell, then Eiki's traits in that regard are not special, either. It makes more sense that the Yama that used to be Jizou statues, representing Jizou Bosatsu, would all wish similarly, which would be why Eiki seems to also have a merciful nature.

Eiki's traits are special, because compared to other Yama, she is more lenient. This is an excerpt from Reisen's story dialogue:
Eiki: Even if I'm the one in charge of judging you, You will fall to hell.

Why would ZUN even mention that Eiki used to be a Jizou statue when he'd already established that the Jizou statues were hired as new Yama, but hadn't stated that any of the Ten Kings were Jizou statues nor that Eiki was one of them, if it was indeed true.

Zun is usually vague about lots of things.

I find it very difficult to believe that Enmaou used to be a statue that is meant to represent essentially themselves.

Yes, this would be something that doesn't make sense. Everything else makes sense. This is what would make me think Eiki as not Enma-o.

Looking at the seihou games, is there some actual canon connection between touhou and seihou or is it just some cameos which makes no sense?

What Drake said. There are no canon connection between Touhou and Seihou.

« Reply #907 on: July 10, 2013, 07:21:51 AM »
Although since danmaku is nonlethal and all, I think in a RL spellcard duel it would be more like the fighters wearing a kind of plate around the stomach that would go "BEEPBEEPBEEP" when hit by a bullet, indicating the wearer has just lost a life.

Sage Ω (Ultima)

• CEO at Team Eternal Desire
  • ??? X
« Reply #908 on: July 10, 2013, 07:24:33 AM »
IRL your hitbox becomes your entire body. Imagine Gengetsu's Rape Time IRL.

Mordon

• Bunny Lord
« Reply #909 on: July 10, 2013, 08:15:41 AM »
Although since danmaku is nonlethal and all, I think in a RL spellcard duel it would be more like the fighters wearing a kind of plate around the stomach that would go "BEEPBEEPBEEP" when hit by a bullet, indicating the wearer has just lost a life.
Or to make it more interesting, it would sound like "PICHUUUUUN"

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #910 on: July 10, 2013, 08:26:20 AM »
Move as needed.

Just wondering.

Hi, we have a stickied thread for asking random, miscellaneous questions. Please keep it in mind in the future.

Thread merged.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Drake

« Reply #911 on: July 10, 2013, 08:39:36 AM »
Ehhh. I'm really not convinced at all. It sounds a lot like you're grasping a bit to support a pet theory, no offense.

but from her dialogues, it is also implied she isn't the only one doing the judging of souls in Gensokyo.
"Implied" is too strong of a wording, but this is really the only thing I think is worth considering. Either way I don't think that there being more than one judge for Gensokyo even pushes a bit at Eiki being Enmaou.
To note, there being multiple judges would also pretty much mean that any other judge would also be called Yamaxanadu, and that judge would also be exclusive to Gensokyo. As said before, I'm pretty skeptical of Gensokyo requiring any more than the one judge given how small it is. There's certainly a lot of space available where this could have been hinted at more than once, so the lack of evidence (unless I'm missing something) is telling, even though I'm open to the possibility.
Heck, the statement 担当は幻想郷の死者を裁く事で、我々に最も関係が深い閻魔様である "As the area she's in charge of is judging Gensokyo's dead, she is the most closely-related Yama to us" is some nice evidence against that, unless Akyuu is somehow unaware of there being another Yama judging Gensokyo or she just doesn't care to mention them because they don't get out often or something.

Then, Perfect Momento in Strict Sense expands more about her. In PMiSS, they give her a different title. You view is different from mines in this. You find it odd why she isn't called Enma-o or Yama and I find it odd why she isn't just called Judge of Hell, since it really means the same thing, as far as judging authority is concerned.
They aren't really equivalent quibbles. Having "Supreme" tacked on or not to her title just isn't that important, and is only even slightly relevant at all when assuming your conclusion. The claim that she's one of the Ten Kings, despite her never being called that at all, is quite important in comparison. Clearly we have different views on this, but the key difference is that you're working backwards from a conclusion.

Eiki's traits are special, because compared to other Yama, she is more lenient. This is an excerpt from Reisen's story dialogue:
Eiki: Even if I'm the one in charge of judging you, You will fall to hell.
Eiki's traits are special because she says "even if I'm the one judging you you'll go to Hell" in what's likely an exaggerated threat? I don't think so. I never said the Jizou were all the same either, just that the Jizou turned Yama might be naturally inclined to want people to avoid Hell. Your point was that Eiki is merciful just as Jizou Bosatsu and therefore they are the same; I offered an explanation of that characteristic that holds without assuming that Eiki is Enmaou and still fits with what we're sure of, even if there isn't enough information for me to actually say that these Yama want people to avoid Hell just because they were based on Jizou Bosatsu. My point is that "Eiki is especially merciful" isn't necessarily true and I don't think it's very well supported, and even if it was it doesn't stand as evidence on its own.

Zun is usually vague about lots of things.
It isn't vagueness, it's skipping an entire step in information, and an important one at that. If Eiki was Enmaou and was also a Jizou statue, saying "Jizou were hired to act as many new Yama" and then "Eiki used to be a Jizou statue" is not only confusing, it's deliberately misleading. It's looking at pieces of information that reach an obvious conclusion, and then supposing a new piece of information to that hasn't otherwise been alluded to and concluding something not only different, but conflicting the first obvious conclusion. Like saying P AND Q -> X but then saying P AND Q AND R -> Y, where we don't actually know if R is true, and X and Y are mutually exclusive. It isn't vague, it would just be plain dumb to write that way.

Imosa

• Any sufficiently advanced technology
  • is indistinguishable from magic
« Reply #912 on: July 10, 2013, 05:09:11 PM »
Move as needed.

Just wondering.
It seems like this was kinda a joke but I still have a good answer. Just take the sprite of your choice to get an estimate for the hitbox size to character size ratio, then you'll find out exactly how big it is.
That being said I always thought the hitbox was pretty much the entire person. I figured the small hitbox was an abstraction for any convulsions that your character would do in obvious attempts not to get hit, i.e. rolling onto one's side to get into a tight space between two bullets. The reason arms aren't part of the hitbox is because if a bullet is about to hit a character, they just move their arm.

« Reply #913 on: July 11, 2013, 06:23:23 AM »
What does Tewi's PoFV theme (Ousasama no Shiroi Hata) actually translate to? The most common ones are "Lord Usa's Elemental Flag" and "White Flag of Usa Shrine". But shouldn't it be "Lord Usa's White Flag"? Just wondering where does "elemental" and "shrine" comes from.

Drake

« Reply #914 on: July 11, 2013, 07:02:59 AM »
It's two plays on words.

宇佐 refers to the Usa Jinguu (宇佐神宮), a shinto shrine dedicated to Hachiman. Of course, it's pronounced "usa" and so is a pun referring to Tewi. This is why it's called Usa Shrine.
素い幡 is pronounced "shiroi hata", as in a white flag. There's talk about it relating to Hachiman, but in any case it also changes kanji in order to match 幸運の兎 因てゐ, or "White Rabbit of Good Fortune, Inaba Tewi". The 素 here also doubles its nonstandard meaning of "white" by using it in "white flag".

"Lord Usa's Elemental Flag" was some cheap translation done by who knows. "Lord Usa" is an easy mistake-that-isn't-really-a-mistake but translating 素 as "elemental" is ????
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 07:08:17 AM by Drake »

« Reply #915 on: July 11, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »
Ehhh. I'm really not convinced at all. It sounds a lot like you're grasping a bit to support a pet theory, no offense.

It isn't my theory, it is the conclusion I got from seeing the theory and judging the pros and cons of such a theory.

"Implied" is too strong of a wording, but this is really the only thing I think is worth considering. Either way I don't think that there being more than one judge for Gensokyo even pushes a bit at Eiki being Enmaou.

So, what do you read when you see that? Why would Eiki say, "if I were to judge you", if there is no implication of there being other judges? And no, this has nothing to do with Eiki being Enma-o, this is a tangent.

They aren't really equivalent quibbles. Having "Supreme" tacked on or not to her title just isn't that important, and is only even slightly relevant at all when assuming your conclusion.

Why wouldn't it be important? My question here is Judge of Hell, like Shrine Maiden Paradise would have suffice. Why imply more with keywords like "highest/supreme"?
We already know what judges are, as the article right before Eiki's article talks in detail about Yamas.

I understand you can technically make the argument that any judge is the supreme judge, as they are assuming the position of the 5th Yama, but my argument is that it doesn't make sense. There is no reason to add extras like that to the title.

My point is that "Eiki is especially merciful" isn't necessarily true and I don't think it's very well supported, and even if it was it doesn't stand as evidence on its own.

No, it would not be supporting evidence on its own.

If Eiki was Enmaou and was also a Jizou statue, saying "Jizou were hired to act as many new Yama" and then "Eiki used to be a Jizou statue" is not only confusing, it's deliberately misleading.

At the time of PMiSS, we do not know that Eiki used to be a Jizou statue. This is mentioned in the Oriental Sacred Place.
But as I have mentioned on my previous post, it is good evidence against Eiki being Enma-o and would be the reason to discard such a theory.

The other evidence, like Enma-o having a name and Eiki being not named so is not too important and can be reconciled. For example, Omoikane has a name and there is evidence that supports Eirin being Omoikane. Same deal with Kanako and who she is supposed to be.

« Reply #916 on: July 11, 2013, 08:43:08 AM »
When do Touhou Ibarakasen: Wild And Horned Hermit  and Touhou Suzunaan - Forbidden Scrollery usually came out?
- Are they biweekly manga or monthly?

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #917 on: July 11, 2013, 10:15:44 AM »
WaHH is serialized in the bimonthly magazine "Febri", released on the 10th of even-numbered months.

FS is serialized in the monthly magazine "Comp Ace", released on the 25th. However, it may skip issues from time to time.

There is also a special "outgoing" version of WaHH, occasionally published in the Comic REX magazine. It has not been translated into English, and not collected into the single volume releases, but that's no a great loss: it reads like lighthearted comedy fanfiction about what happens around the WaHH main chapters. I suspect it's written by the artist herself.

Are they biweekly manga or monthly?
The only reason manga can come out weekly or biweekly is due to the studio system, where an artist employs an army of assistants. As far as I know, none of the official Touhou manga artists have assistants, so even a monthly serialization can be difficult to maintain.

Also considering that the FS artist is only 19 years old, and the WaHH artist might be still in college, too...
« Last Edit: July 11, 2013, 10:44:06 AM by cuc »
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Tengukami

« Reply #918 on: July 11, 2013, 11:47:02 AM »
3 pages of Shikieiki
So, what was the question again? Has it been answered or not?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
  • I am still here. Sometimes.
« Reply #919 on: July 11, 2013, 12:23:04 PM »
It really does sometimes feel like some questions bring bit of a long discussion. Just saying my opinion.

« Reply #920 on: July 11, 2013, 02:56:54 PM »
It seems like this was kinda a joke but I still have a good answer. Just take the sprite of your choice to get an estimate for the hitbox size to character size ratio, then you'll find out exactly how big it is.
That being said I always thought the hitbox was pretty much the entire person. I figured the small hitbox was an abstraction for any convulsions that your character would do in obvious attempts not to get hit, i.e. rolling onto one's side to get into a tight space between two bullets. The reason arms aren't part of the hitbox is because if a bullet is about to hit a character, they just move their arm.
Adding on top of this, I would think that the hitbox is just a representation of the top-down version of the character. In the games, you see the heroine dodging bullets head first to make the sprite look better, but in reality, she's probably going to stand (or fly) perpendicular to the plane of bullets we see.
Lunatic 1ccs: MoF (ReimuB)

Sagus

• Spin, Hina, spin
  • Spin like there's no tomorrow
« Reply #921 on: July 11, 2013, 03:04:02 PM »
So, what was the question again? Has it been answered or not?
The original question was about if Yamas could boss over Kishins. I said they couldn't since I thought they were on the same rank, Starxsword disagreed and then it eventually evolved into trying to determinate if there's any difference between the terms "Yama" and "Judge" (related to the original question considering the wording in the Yama article) and how many of them exist (tangentially related since Starx's original position was that Yama related only to the Ten Kings IIRC and since they created the whole thing they'd command the Kishin) and if Eiki is a specific King (I don't remember how this started) and here we are.

So, no actually, the original question wasn't answered, since we never really determinated if Yamas can boss Kishin around or not.
Peketo's Drawing Stuffs
Despite the name, it's mostly 3D models.

My fanfics.

Tengukami

« Reply #922 on: July 11, 2013, 03:18:38 PM »
So, no actually, the original question wasn't answered, since we never really determinated if Yamas can boss Kishin around or not.
Thanks. And from where I sit, it looks like we've reached a stalemate on this question, if we haven't been able to provide a clear, simple answer within the last few pages of discussion.

Personally, I'd recommend either letting this go with "No one knows for sure" or starting a whole new thread on this otherwise interesting discussion, because right now it just looks like wheels are spinning but going nowhere.

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
« Reply #923 on: July 11, 2013, 03:19:40 PM »
...Okay, I had to laugh the fact that the original question pretty fell out of your conversation.

If you ask me, I think best way of approaching this question after your converstation would be if Yamas are not the ones to boss kishins around, then who are the ones who give them the commands? Unless that had been brought up before because didn't read, lol. Then again (in my opinion, don't take it personally), it might be best to drop the thing all together.

Drake

« Reply #924 on: July 11, 2013, 07:22:39 PM »
The original question was about if Yamas could boss over Kishins. I said they couldn't since I thought they were on the same rank, Starxsword disagreed and then it eventually evolved into trying to determinate if there's any difference between the terms "Yama" and "Judge" (related to the original question considering the wording in the Yama article) and how many of them exist (tangentially related since Starx's original position was that Yama related only to the Ten Kings IIRC and since they created the whole thing they'd command the Kishin) and if Eiki is a specific King (I don't remember how this started) and here we are.

I thought I covered a lot of the corrections back here.

While in the Ministry the Ten Kings may be considered the "top", the judgements of all of the other judges have the same authority. All of the judges are considered to be called Yama, so there is no difference between the terms. The kishin chiefs are not judges, but I don't think they're actually ordered around per se, they just do their jobs by communicating with the Yama and other who work in the Ministry. The whole concept of there being a "rank" as if it were a hierarchy seems unnecessary besides each Yama commanding some shinigami and kishin chiefs commanding some other oni.

The only thing that wasn't cleared up was whether or not Eiki is the original Enmaou, which currently doesn't even seem like a point of contention; just a theory that doesn't seem to have enough evidence to stand.

« Reply #925 on: July 12, 2013, 07:51:41 AM »

The answer is yes, Yamas can order Kishin around. But not in the sense of it being a direct order. Think of it like this, Yamas are the judges, Kishin are the enforcers. The judge says, so and so is past their life span, so Kishin go after so and so. For example, Seiga.

« Reply #926 on: July 12, 2013, 01:29:43 PM »
I'm not sure whether it is the appropriate place to ask those questions but anyway.

- Can anyone tell me what this video is about (what is she saying?) - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uvb3nPuEs6k

- Also what the English name of that comedy video and whether there is an eng sub. version of that video out there?

ToyoRai

• Head But No Tail
« Reply #927 on: July 12, 2013, 02:15:09 PM »
First of all, the video is base on a certain meme (more info here ). Second, most of the dialogue is spelling out the character names with other jokes in it. I unfortunaly have any translated version of this video but I swear I have seen something. But if you can somehow write kanjis, this video has bit of a "lyrics" to it (Warning, lots of random dissonant shouting, if you have headphones don't turn them up too loud)

[ruro]edited for clarity's sake[/ruro]
« Last Edit: July 12, 2013, 06:49:05 PM by Setsakura Higashi »

SatorKoi57

• Dark Blare of Fire!
  • "YOU WA BAN" Sucks :P
« Reply #928 on: July 15, 2013, 12:40:33 AM »
Would real touhou fans see stuff like this as:
http://danbooru.donmai.us/posts/230072?tags=kochiya_sanae+dead

A. Cool
B. Funny
C. Gross
D. Just plain fucking stupid

I just want to know.
Watch as I sneak up behind this forum!

Darkness1

• Nothing to see here.
  • Enigmatic, isn't it?
« Reply #929 on: July 15, 2013, 01:03:53 AM »
real touhou fans
I wonder what that's supposed to mean here.

To answer, probably a D from me.
(lol those tags.)