Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer  (Read 270859 times)

Drake

Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread 3 - Ask Question, Receive Answer
« Reply #300 on: January 07, 2013, 04:35:20 AM »
The only outfit change from MS to PoFV is pants to skirt, and I guess her red eyes. Not entirely sure how it was intimidating. In any case, I can't confirm it, so unless they can tell you where they heard it or if it was from an interview or profile notes or something that gives some more information, it's better off ignoring (not that it's really an important tidbit in the first place).

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #301 on: January 07, 2013, 04:42:43 AM »
Thanks for the quick reply!

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #302 on: January 13, 2013, 02:20:22 PM »
Well....... while reading Byakuren's article on Touhou Wiki (more specifically on her "relationships" part) I came across this:

Quote from: Touhou Wiki
Koishi Komeiji

Byakuren believes that Koishi's present "thoughtless" state is close to enlightenment, and wants her to join the temple.

And then on Myouren temple's article:

Quote from: Touhou Wiki
Residents    

Byakuren Hijiri (Buddhist monk)
    Shou Toramaru (Devotee to Bishamonten)
    Nazrin (Shou's underling)
    Ichirin Kumoi and Unzan (Guards)
    Minamitsu Murasa (Captain of the ship)
    Nue Houjuu (Currently living here)
    Kyouko Kasodani (Priest in-training)
    Mamizou Futatsuiwa (Currently living here)
    Koishi Komeiji (Nonordained member)

So... when, where and how did Byakuren meet Koishi anyway...? Was it on a print work or something? Pretty sure it wasn't on a game... so, I really want someone to clarify how this event happened to me.

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #303 on: January 13, 2013, 03:06:41 PM »
Symposium of Post-mysticism Part 4 : The Present and Future of the Hated
The 12th footnote says that she was invited to the temple.
Signature

cuc

• Probably won't respond 'til this mess is sorted o?
« Reply #304 on: January 14, 2013, 02:31:11 AM »
Byakuren heard of Koishi's condition from Kanako during the symposium, and invited Koishi to the temple.
Touhou Fantasy News: twitter

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #305 on: January 14, 2013, 03:17:21 PM »
So, does that mean Koishi abandoned her older sister and is now part of Byakuren's crew, just like Shou, Murasa and the others...?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #306 on: January 14, 2013, 04:45:49 PM »
So, does that mean Koishi abandoned her older sister and is now part of Byakuren's crew, just like Shou, Murasa and the others...?
Koishi doesn't have a mind, so she has more or less no idea what she's doing, and knowing the way she behaves, she'll mindlessly wander away from the Myouren Temple and never return again.

Drake

« Reply #307 on: January 14, 2013, 06:38:59 PM »
It's pretty much a joke on Byakuren and her all-welcoming nature versus Koishi acting randomly and whimsically.

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #308 on: January 14, 2013, 11:04:41 PM »
Um, I guess this is a misc question, and since you're in this thread all the time anyway-

Drake, is your current avatar from a larger picture? I tried reverse image searching but it just finds your posts.

Drake

« Reply #309 on: January 15, 2013, 12:54:21 AM »
Interesting, this is the third time I've been asked for a source. It's funny because the artist's normal art style is completely different.
http://www.pixiv.net/member.php?id=133853

Goldom

• Whee
« Reply #310 on: January 15, 2013, 02:00:35 AM »
No kidding, it sure is.

Thanks.

cuc

« Reply #311 on: January 15, 2013, 02:30:07 AM »
It's Nazrin crossed over with Kaede Takagaki, a character from the Idolmasters mobile game, Cinderella Girls.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #313 on: January 15, 2013, 02:00:02 PM »
How much spiritual power equals the faith of one human? You'd think the faith of one human or youkai wouldn't be much at all, yet Kanako and Suwako can allegedly pull off some very impressive feats despite getting faith from only one mountain of youkai. I'm asking this because it boggles the mind what more well-known gods would be capable of then, like Amaterasu. If such a 'small' religion could power such a significant deity (for Gensokyo standards) as Kanako it's frightening to think what that means for worldwide religions.

Drake

« Reply #314 on: January 15, 2013, 05:15:04 PM »
It's entirely possible that the god's power is not even proportional to faith in it, particularly in Gensokyo. I would wager that the god is inherently powerful, and as long as they have some faith they can use their abilities. Instead, a need for a large base of faith is primarily for their influence on the population, allowing them to act for that population. A god you don't believe in can't really help you as that god. A god many people believe in grants the god influence over those people and allows for direct interaction. This is fairly obviously Kanako's goal, rather than accumulating sheer power. Having sheer power proportional to faith makes no sense. Rather, the mechanisms for faith in Touhou follow heuristics that are very similar to how they act in real life, but are applied in a world where said gods physically exist and exert influence. It's good stuff.

Delfigamer

• * Merry, bride, absolute (HR)
  • of course the best girl never wins
« Reply #315 on: January 15, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
How much spiritual power equals the faith of one human? You'd think the faith of one human or youkai wouldn't be much at all, yet Kanako and Suwako can allegedly pull off some very impressive feats despite getting faith from only one mountain of youkai. I'm asking this because it boggles the mind what more well-known gods would be capable of then, like Amaterasu. If such a 'small' religion could power such a significant deity (for Gensokyo standards) as Kanako it's frightening to think what that means for worldwide religions.
On our sos-dan.ru, there's a guy who call himself a god, he should be familiar with this mechanics then.
Once he stated three ways of becoming a god.  There was said that the faith of human in himself theoretically may be enough to turn him into god (probably living one, like Sanae). I think, Kanako would be able to do it too, since she particulary is a youkai (divine spirit); but Suwako wouldn't - she belongs to Yaoyorozu no Kami who consist of pure faith.
ZUN himself had stated that a local god often has more power in his area that global ones. That mentioned guy explains it so "In fact, local gods have more visitors. Especially when we count amount of faith to a unit of area of divine barrier" (or like that, translation may suck).

The Jealous Witch did nothing wrong.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #316 on: January 15, 2013, 06:45:35 PM »
It's entirely possible that the god's power is not even proportional to faith in it, particularly in Gensokyo. I would wager that the god is inherently powerful, and as long as they have some faith they can use their abilities. Instead, a need for a large base of faith is primarily for their influence on the population, allowing them to act for that population. A god you don't believe in can't really help you as that god. A god many people believe in grants the god influence over those people and allows for direct interaction. This is fairly obviously Kanako's goal, rather than accumulating sheer power. Having sheer power proportional to faith makes no sense. Rather, the mechanisms for faith in Touhou follow heuristics that are very similar to how they act in real life, but are applied in a world where said gods physically exist and exert influence. It's good stuff.

Huh, I never looked it that way. In fact, this indeed makes more sense, and fits with Kanako's character and desires, and maybe even Suwako's slight lack of interest on the matter. If power really were proportionate to faith the scaling would get pretty ridiculous eventually.
It reminds me of the game Black & White, where you need more followers to increase your area of influence.

On our sos-dan.ru, there's a guy who call himself a god, he should be familiar with this mechanics then.
Once he stated three ways of becoming a god.  There was said that the faith of human in himself theoretically may be enough to turn him into god (probably living one, like Sanae). I think, Kanako would be able to do it too, since she particulary is a youkai (divine spirit); but Suwako wouldn't - she belongs to Yaoyorozu no Kami who consist of pure faith.
ZUN himself had stated that a local god often has more power in his area that global ones. That mentioned guy explains it so "In fact, local gods have more visitors. Especially when we count amount of faith to a unit of area of divine barrier" (or like that, translation may suck).

At first I was unaware that there was such a difference between Kanako and Suwako, and would ask where you came across that information, but i just now stumbled upon it in Suwako's SoPM article. I'm going to give the whole thing a good read now. I've not given it too much attention beforehand. How exactly would one become a living god with one's own faith though? Is it Gurren Lagann style 'believing in yourself'? :V

cuc

« Reply #317 on: January 16, 2013, 12:45:35 AM »
So far it seems like Sanae is a living goddess due to her divine blood inherited from Suwako, rather than anyone's faith. Perhaps faith alone can't turn any living human into a god.

Also, I suspect that Sanae's whole "she's a living goddess, but she's a very ordinary person" thing might be partially a jab at the Empire of Japan and State Shintoism, which worshipped the emperors as living gods. The word "arahitogami" itself seems coined specifically to refer to the divine status of the emperor. I've seen people who thought ZUN misused this word; I think it's probably intentional.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 12:49:33 AM by cuc »

Delfigamer

« Reply #318 on: January 16, 2013, 08:44:47 AM »
As I remember, Sanae still has her own faith. We should read her MoF article, it was probably said there.

How exactly would one become a living god with one's own faith though? Is it Gurren Lagann style 'believing in yourself'? :V
I don't know, we should ask the guy himself. :V
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 08:46:29 AM by Delfigamer »

cuc

« Reply #319 on: January 16, 2013, 09:44:30 AM »
On the source of Kochiya priestesses' divinity, the MoF profile says their secret arts allow them to control weather, resulting in the populace worshipping them, but I seem to recall another canon source saying it's due to their divine ancestor. Then again, maybe their secret arts are effective in the first place because they are Suwako's descendants. Has this turned into a chicken-and-egg problem?

I've been going back and forth about how to explain it.

Delfigamer

« Reply #320 on: January 16, 2013, 10:32:29 AM »
Has this turned into a chicken-and-egg problem?
No, chicken-and-egg problem is Suwako's descendants. They are humans, who was born by a god, who consist of pure faith, which is gathered from humans.
Hmm... maybe, since Sanae is a living god, her faith costs a bit more that that of generic human and is enough to maintain her own goddess state?
God who believes in himself. That's the true Chicken-Egg. :3
« Last Edit: January 16, 2013, 10:35:23 AM by Delfigamer »

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
« Reply #321 on: January 17, 2013, 12:55:18 AM »
Alright, sorry to cut the discussion... and I'm not even sure if I'm supposed to post this here, but I thought it'd be unnecessary to resurrect The Last Comer's topic just to ask this. Anyway, does anyone know a way to prevent the lag on the game? Like.... for seriously, I've even tried th dnh vpatch on full screen and it made absolutely no difference, even after downloading this version of the executable.

Can someone help me?

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Sungho

• Custom Title
  • Personal Text
« Reply #322 on: January 17, 2013, 02:15:51 AM »
I think the vsync doesn't help with 'that' kind of lagging.
The manual says to try turning on フラットモード(Flat Mode, turns off the effect) and/or スーパーフラットモード(Superflat Mode, turns off the background) in the Options.
Or to try setting 描画間隔(Drawing Interval) to 可変(Variable) in the Danmakufu config.exe, but it might feel like playing in 80fps.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2013, 02:24:31 AM by Sungho »
Signature

« Reply #323 on: January 17, 2013, 07:03:36 PM »
Alrighty I've tried googling for this but I can't seem to find an English translation of the config file for Touhou Sky Arena...anyone here have one? Also is it possible to play the game at 1366x768? If so how can I do that? Sorry If these are questions that have easily found answers but I couldn't find em.

Also how huggable is Cirno  :3

Ikari

• I'm just so charismatic
  • It's turning into derp
« Reply #324 on: January 20, 2013, 06:53:56 PM »
I'm not sure where to post this, so I guess this place sounds suitable.

Does anyone have a completed Touhou Soccer 2 save? Not the game itself (Obviously), only a save with the characters and such unlocked.

Kero-chan

• Highest of Native Gods
  • Spellcardo! ''You are now blinking manually!''
    • Whirled
« Reply #325 on: January 21, 2013, 10:19:35 AM »
Hmm,  Just out of curiosity, does anyone know if Patchouli has any frog books? :V
I wonder if Sanae has my Ohagi ready...

Drake

« Reply #326 on: January 21, 2013, 06:16:55 PM »
Her library is huge. It can be assumed yes. Why is that even a question.

Kero-chan

• Highest of Native Gods
  • Spellcardo! ''You are now blinking manually!''
    • Whirled
« Reply #327 on: January 24, 2013, 03:38:44 AM »
Well, I'm a bit new here and I had nothing else to ask.
I wonder if Sanae has my Ohagi ready...

« Reply #328 on: January 27, 2013, 08:19:03 AM »
Just want to check some facts:
Shikieiki's theme is the longest Touhou boss theme (Windows only)
Rikako's theme is the longest Touhou boss theme (PC-98 and Windows)
PCB Stage 4 theme is the longest Touhou stage theme (PC-98 and Windows)
Am I correct?

Drake

« Reply #329 on: January 27, 2013, 09:27:10 AM »
Yep yep yep.