Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)  (Read 47108 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 10)
« Reply #270 on: August 07, 2012, 06:06:55 AM »
>"Just so, but, let's say that they didn't have them, would they have still be better?"

« Reply #271 on: August 07, 2012, 06:19:34 AM »
>"Just so, but, let's say that they didn't have them, would they have still be better?"

>"Well..." The redhead frowns discontentedly and taps her foot, then mutters a reluctant "...maybe not."
>"Or maybe if they were allergic to lollipops..." the green-haired fairy continues absently, then slaps her hands to her face with a look of profound horror. "The poor things..."
>"But that's beside the point!" her companion adds firmly, ignoring this nightmare scenario entirely.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #272 on: August 07, 2012, 06:43:55 AM »
>Glance to the man. "I think it shouldn't be a problem to drop a word with the chefs, would it?"

« Reply #273 on: August 07, 2012, 06:48:23 AM »
>Glance to the man. "I think it shouldn't be a problem to drop a word with the chefs, would it?"

>The man snaps upright, looking almost startled to be suddenly included in the conversation. "Well I- I can certainly make some inquiries...."
>"You better!" the redhead says, waving her brochure in the air.
>"That must be awful..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #274 on: August 07, 2012, 06:57:46 AM »
>"After all, a good chef is interested in the happiness of the diners. I'm sure they'll consider something like this."
>Glance to the faeries. "Wouldn't that be best?"

« Reply #275 on: August 07, 2012, 07:43:36 AM »
>"After all, a good chef is interested in the happiness of the diners. I'm sure they'll consider something like this."
>Glance to the faeries. "Wouldn't that be best?"

>The man glances uncomfortably between you, the fairies, and the various onlookers. "Maybe..."
>"Of course!" the redhead says, nodding firmly.
>"But what about the ones who are allergic?!" The green-haired fairy looks like she could burst into tears at any second. Her friend cocks her head back towards her and raises a bewildered eyebrow.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #276 on: August 07, 2012, 07:53:40 AM »
>"Then they can choose not to have them, sad as a fate as that may be. Perhaps they could trade them for another side dish?"
>Glance to the man, "Are the chefs in? It shouldn't be a problem to mention this to them, I'll make sure no one slips in  while you're gone, eh?"

« Reply #277 on: August 07, 2012, 08:21:48 AM »
>"Then they can choose not to have them, sad as a fate as that may be. Perhaps they could trade them for another side dish?"
>Glance to the man, "Are the chefs in? It shouldn't be a problem to mention this to them, I'll make sure no one slips in  while you're gone, eh?"

>The fairy's lip quivers and she continues to stare wide-eyed into the distance. "Those poor, poor people..."
>"Well, it's, uh... it's still a bit early in the day, but..." He does another defensive survey of his surroundings. "I could... probably find someone. But I'm really not supposed to leave my post."
>"This is a far more important duty!" the redhead cries, thrusting an arm defiantly in the air. "This is about upholding your promises and standing by your vows and delivering the best damn dinner cruise 50 guilders can buy! Got it?"
>You hear an enthusiastic whistle, and someone in the audience starts to clap. The poor man appears to be wishing the ground would swallow him up.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #278 on: August 07, 2012, 08:40:16 AM »
>"Go on, pal, I'll watch things here. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes anyways, right? And maybe you could find someone with a bit more authority to do some other things?"
>Can we tell who the whistler and clapper are?

« Reply #279 on: August 07, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
>"Go on, pal, I'll watch things here. Shouldn't take more than a couple minutes anyways, right? And maybe you could find someone with a bit more authority to do some other things?"
>Can we tell who the whistler and clapper are?

>The man takes a last uncomfortable glance around, then hesitantly nods. "I'll... try." He dashes off towards the ship at an awkward compromise between haste and propriety.
>You glance back at the crowd. There are a few people in the direction the whistle came from, though none jump out obviously as the source. The clapping is coming from another fairy, however - a small peach-haired one with a bright smile on her face. A few other people are chuckling quietly or shaking their heads; some of them start to disperse.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #280 on: August 07, 2012, 09:25:33 AM »
>"So, you two go on cruises often?"
>Keep an idle eye out for unsavory sorts doing unsavory things.

« Reply #281 on: August 07, 2012, 09:39:13 AM »
>"So, you two go on cruises often?"
>Keep an idle eye out for unsavory sorts doing unsavory things.

>"When we can afford to," the first fairy says.
>"We saved up!"
>"Which is why this was such a rip-off!" She shakes the brochure in accusation. "We still deserve a refund, I say!"

>You keep an idle eye on the crowd in case anyone decides to take advantage of the attendant's absense. Though frankly, you think if anyone had wanted to, that feckless man wouldn't have been much deterrant.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #282 on: August 07, 2012, 09:58:20 AM »
>"What other kinds have you been on?"

« Reply #283 on: August 07, 2012, 10:19:44 AM »
>"What other kinds have you been on?"

>"The Northern Star," the redhead begins, "the Amber Rose-"
>"The Pelican!"
>"I liked their cheeseburgers."
>"The Morning Glory, the Sashimi... Sashimishimu... Sashi-"
>"Sashirimaru," her friend corrects.
>"Yeah, that's it!" The green-haired fairy frowns. "They left us stranded halfway to Hanashibara..."
>"But the mochi was excellent."
>"It was pretty good..."
>Here, the redhead throws an arm around her companion and sweeps the other across the air with dramatic flourish. "It's our goal to one day have eaten from every single kitchen on the skies!"
>The green-headed fairy nods. "Yup! I even write a little newsletter."
>"And some people even buy it! Isn't that cool?" She practically beams with confident pride.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #284 on: August 07, 2012, 10:29:19 AM »
>"I'm impressed! You two must do rather well for yourselves, to afford all that."

« Reply #285 on: August 07, 2012, 10:51:03 PM »
>"I'm impressed! You two must do rather well for yourselves, to afford all that."

>The redhead giggles bashfully. "We just work hard."
>"I deliver newspapers!"
>"We'd been saving up for this for ages." The scowl returns to her face. "Which is why this was such a rip-off!"
>"Yeah!" The green-haired fairy frowns.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #286 on: August 07, 2012, 11:00:14 PM »
>"Well, don't you worry, I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."

« Reply #287 on: August 07, 2012, 11:43:47 PM »
>"Well, don't you worry, I'm sure we'll be able to work something out."

>"We better!"
>"Or I'll write them a really nasty review!" the green-haired fairy says. "And then they'll never get another customer again!"
>"Yeah!"

>After a few more moments, the attendant reemerges from his ship, looking only marginally less bedraggled than before.
>The redhead turns to him, hands on her hips, and speaks with brash accusation. "Well?"
>He takes another look at her and frowns slightly, then awkwardly bows. "On behalf of the crew of the Tonada Viva, let me extend a formal apologize for any dissatisfaction you had with your meal."
>"Good!"
>"Also, our chefs have agreed to offer freshly made lollipops on request, should you ever wish to eat with us again."
>The green-haired fairy starts to clap. "Yay!"
>The redhead cranes her neck towards him. "And what about our refund?"
>"Well, er... Do you have your receipts?"
>"Of course we have our receipts!" She holds a hand out towards her companion. "Peppermint, the receipts."
>Peppermint's clapping stops. "...receipts?"
>The redhead beckons impatiently with her hand. "For the tickets we bought. C'mon."
>"Oh, I, um..." she frowns uncomfortably. "I left them at home."
>Her companion rounds on her. "You what!?"
>"Well, this dress didn't have any pockets...."
>The other fairy raises her hands in impotent fury. You briefly wonder if she's about to start slapping her friend with the brochure. The man cringes a little.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #288 on: August 07, 2012, 11:44:59 PM »
>Facepalm.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #289 on: August 07, 2012, 11:54:11 PM »
>Facepalm.

>You plant a hand firmly upon your face. Fairies....

>The man takes a step back and raises his hand - whether in a conciliatory gesture or to ward off impending violence, you can't be quite sure. "I... I'm afraid I will need to see your receipts, but if you can come back with them, I'd be more than happy to-"
>"You... dummy!" The redhead lunges at her companion who lets out a little shriek and flees into to the air. The redhead follows after her, diaphanous wings beating furiously while she flails her arms with equal furor. The two of them quickly shrink into the west.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #290 on: August 08, 2012, 12:00:40 AM »
>Sigh. "And I think that pretty soon they'll forget all about this."
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2012, 12:07:48 AM »
>Sigh. "And I think that pretty soon they'll forget all about this."

>He looks up at the sky and the rapidly retreating profile of the two disgruntled customers. "Maybe...."
>"Oh, um... I should probably thank you." He nods in your direction. "So, thank you. I'm not... good with fairies." You still get the distinct impression he'd rather be somewhere else entirely.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2012, 12:20:37 AM »
>"No problem. I looked like you could use a distraction. Might wanna leave a note for the rest, sooner or later they'll find the receipts and remember."

We should have tried to get to to accept a free ride instead, which would have been cheaper than a straight refund probably. Oh well.

« Reply #293 on: August 08, 2012, 12:23:55 AM »
>"No problem. I looked like you could use a distraction. Might wanna leave a note for the rest, sooner or later they'll find the receipts and remember."

>"Yeah." He nods. "Yeah, that would be a good idea. Thank you."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #294 on: August 08, 2012, 12:45:48 AM »
>"Happy to help. You stay shiny!"
>Depart unless he tries to stop us. Thanks for the smile, faeries.

« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2012, 12:58:25 AM »
>"Happy to help. You stay shiny!"
>Depart unless he tries to stop us. Thanks for the smile, faeries.

>"Um, ah... sure," he says, an uncertain look on his face.

>You leave the Tonada Viva and continue westward along the road into the heart of the city. The fairies are already little more than dots on the horizons; as distractions go, you suppose they weren't too bad. You pass alongside more ships and harbor infrastructure, the cityscape ahead of you growing increasingly obscured by buildings as you descend beneath their rise. Soon enough, you are lost among them and the streets of Val Razua surround you on all sides. Where will you head?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2012, 01:07:37 AM »
>Have a look around, what sorts of things do we see in the immediate area and the distance.

« Reply #297 on: August 08, 2012, 02:07:03 AM »
>Have a look around, what sorts of things do we see in the immediate area and the distance.

>You take a look around the immediate area. A short distance ahead, the road you're on comes to an end as it meets up with an even wider street that curves away to both the left and right. A restaurant of some sort appears to stand at the end of the intersection and there are shops of various other descriptions nearby - a cobler, a wicker emporium, a florist, some sort of touristy boutique with scandalously-priced postcards in the window... Multiple smaller side streets snake away from the main road in several directions, and traffic is pretty busy. Given the way the buildings lie, it's hard to see too far in the distance from your current location.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #298 on: August 08, 2012, 02:40:38 AM »
>Head toward the wider street, and reassess things.
>Check Neu's directions, see what is nearby.

« Reply #299 on: August 08, 2012, 03:15:42 AM »
>Head toward the wider street, and reassess things.
>Check Neu's directions, see what is nearby.

>You continue onward until you reach the wider street, then take another look around. This road is clearly a major thoroughfare and quite long; it curves gently away into the distance in both direction without any sign of stopping. Its surface is paved with precisely laid stone in a herringbone pattern flanked by two bands of darker stone in a contrasting arrangement. Buildings cluster tightly along either side, detailed with stylish trim and wrought metal features. They're not exactly the lavish mansions you spied earlier, but still trump anything found in Braston's market district without the slightest contest. And that appears to be what this is - at least, most of the signs you can read indicate shops, peddling all manner of goods from the mundane to the exotic. If the traffic is at all indicative of business, most of them are doing quite well for themselves.
>You take out Neu's note again and compare her directions to your current location. It's a little hard to tell how objectively close either destination is without further knowledge of the city, but neither seems to be in your immediate vicinity. Heading to the Grand Academy involves a right turn here, while the apothecary and tailors are both somewhere down the left.