Author Topic: Bitterness in the fandom... Your answer why  (Read 7785 times)

Araceli Caralyz

• A mus~! oxo
  • Touhou Fan, US Army NG Veteran & NICET Certified,
    • What I am up to~
Bitterness in the fandom... Your answer why
« on: July 10, 2012, 09:16:08 PM »
I'm conducting research on the bitterness the Touhou Fandom has and why there it exists.

Because with all problems, first you must figure what the problem is in order to fix it.

So, I'm here to ask your opinions on why this would be.

That's all I really have to say without unfairly tipping the scale in either direction, unless it's related to the research itself.

Thanks~

Links to question -

MotK

LR
« Last Edit: July 10, 2012, 09:19:31 PM by Nazeo Aelko Nezen »

Zil

Re: Bitterness in the fandom... Your answer why
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2012, 09:22:54 PM »
I feel that you should describe what you're talking about more. I honestly have no idea what 'bitterness' you're referring to that can't be chalked up as normal human behavior rather than specific to Touhou.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2012, 09:55:07 PM »
I'm conducting research on the bitterness the Touhou Fandom has and why there it exists.
Define 'bitterness' and why specifically the touhou fandom. Why not fandom for X-games?"

Because with all problems, first you must figure what the problem is in order to fix it.
Problem statement / hypothesises / central research question missing?

Shouldn't you be granting us some more info?

That's all I really have to say without unfairly tipping the scale in either direction, unless it's related to the research itself.
? ? ?

Links to question -
MotK
LR
Are we missing a link to the questions? You just have the same post on two forums crosslinking them.

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2012, 09:58:35 PM »

"I was told there was flowing somen in this thread."

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »

Thanks~

Links to question -

MotK

LR

What?

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:01:10 PM »

eeeeeeeeeeh

Zirene

• Resident Planeswalker
  • Want some?
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2012, 10:12:24 PM »
I think there may be some "bitterness" from people outside the fan base toward the fan base but I can't speak for that.  You're going to have to rephrase this one man, I think most of us have no idea what you're on about.

Aside, I feel some funny replies to this thread coming.

Tengukami

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2012, 10:16:30 PM »

eeeeeeeeeeh

"This isn't somen ..."

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

I have no name

• Dodge ALL the bullets
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2012, 10:18:17 PM »
Do you mean the extra starting lives debate and stuff like that?

(note: I have no name is not responsible for thread derailment if this starts a debate)

Edible

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2012, 10:20:37 PM »
"This isn't somen ..."

It's transient humor!  :tsun:

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #10 on: July 10, 2012, 10:21:53 PM »
Hmm.... do you mean between different groups like Poosh, LR, MotK, etc?

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #11 on: July 10, 2012, 10:35:36 PM »
No seriously, what? I can infer what the general tone of your post is, but I don't know specifically what you're asking. Could you please come back and clarify?

Actually, on second thought, don't clarify. There's no way that people can have a civilized conversation about "what do you not like about the Touhou community" without toes getting stepped on.

While your intentions may be admirable, I believe it's be best to file "irreconcilable differences" as the reason the Touhou community is not homogeneous.

Also, ええええええ

Tengukami

« Reply #12 on: July 10, 2012, 10:38:05 PM »
It's transient humor!  :tsun:

ええええええええええええええええ??

Drake

« Reply #13 on: July 10, 2012, 10:44:08 PM »
there is a reason why i reported thi-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2hVer2xTs7Y

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Chuckolator

• ex-perfecter, good times
« Reply #14 on: July 10, 2012, 11:09:07 PM »
Extra lives 1ccs aren't real 1ccs
Easy/Normal/Hard players aren't real players
Fans who don't play games aren't real fans

*gets out lawn chair*
Aiming to perfect every stage in Touhou. loljk don't care anymore You can find my perfects here or here.
Best perfects so far include UFO 6, MoF 4 and IN 6A.

formerly known as Seiga Kaku

Araceli Caralyz

• A mus~! oxo
    • What I am up to~
« Reply #15 on: July 10, 2012, 11:11:16 PM »
*Walks in*
Nazeo: And this is it! Finally, the community coming together to explain on how to tackle this prob- oh, I see we have questions.

@ Zil
Everything and anything relating to the Touhou Fandom.

@ Helepolis

(In order)

Bitterness - Resentment towards others internally and externally among the fandom. And it would be bizarre if I asked about X-rated games in this Thread ;)

Problem Statement - There is a lot of bitterness in the Fandom.
Hypothesis- I do have a theory, but that ruins an open-ended question...
Central Research Question: Within this board's answers, how do we approach solving said bitterness

No more info shall be given, that loads the question and I want to see everyone's stance on the question

???

Link's are provided so you can see each group's own answer's on how they tackled the question.

@ Tengukami

Someone is a dirty liar...

@ Rin Kagamine

I see the question mark, but I have a hard time answering this one...

@ Edible

I concur

@ Zirene

Thank you; if you believe the bitterness comes outside the fanbase, then please, by all means go on!
I can't really explain more, I know it sucks...

(=w=) d

@ Tengukami

What?

@ I have no name
If that is what you believe, please tell me!

@ Edible

I think I get it...
Maybe

@ Firestorm29

Sure!
If you think there is bitterness between groups, explain why!

@ Rin Kagamine
Ah, that's better.
Thing is, I can't go into detail.
I don't want to limit people's own approaches to the question.
You said you have a gut feeling, go with it!

And that's rather interesting~
Why shouldn't we be able to have a civilized conversation?
Could there be, dare I say bitterness?

@ Tengukami

Wait, what?

@ Drake

That's hilarious!

@ Seiga Kaku

Oooh, please explain!

trancehime

• 不聖女
  • 2017年~ 茨心R (希望)
    • himegimi
« Reply #16 on: July 10, 2012, 11:17:46 PM »
Then the word you're looking for is "resentment," not "bitterness!"

Hypothesis- I do have a theory, but that ruins an open-ended question...

It also kind of defeats the point of having a discussion if you're not going to give your own viewpoint on it for the rest of us to agree or disagree with.

I don't think you know discussions work, discussions are a one-to-one or one-to-many or many-to-many discourse... It's not just one person who keeps asking questions without providing virtually any sort of context whatsoever.

元素召唤 || pad & msl news translator robit
twitter xx motk resident whale

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #17 on: July 10, 2012, 11:27:34 PM »
Well, I can't say there's anything I could qualify as bitterness compared to another community I go to. I mean, there's some that don't like Luny Red's small red text on black design, some don't like Poosh's image board format, and some who don't like MotK's approach towards piracy. Those are preferences though, if there was bitterness between us, I think we'd see much more mean spirited interactions between groups and much more bashing between groups. There are times that some parts don't rub each other the right way, but that kind of thing happens. I think if you really, really needed to stretch things, you could count the wiki problem, but that's more bitterness between the main wikia staff being jerks than those who are running it now.

You can compare that to a continuing 6-year fight between different small factions (read <20 each), that some constantly insult others based on game modes, how they play, where they play, if you play a mod or not, butting into other's games and ruining them through hacks, heck, you even had some crackpot minor who ran out to spray paint that a forum sucks on the main admin's car and got caught trying to steal the admin's license plate.

Trust me, if you think the Touhou community as a whole has bitterness, you really don't know how bad internet malice can go.

And also, your experiment should have some sort of limit because as you can see, this bitterness term by itself isn't a very good limit, it differs too much based on our own experiences.

Araceli Caralyz

• A mus~! oxo
    • What I am up to~
« Reply #18 on: July 10, 2012, 11:55:13 PM »
@ tranceko
I don't want to tell people what to think as that COMPLETELY ruins a research (at least in my opinion.)
However, I can provide some context.

*Outside the Fandom
*Inside The Fandom
*The games themselves
*Forums
*Media
*Irc
*Wikis
*Tweets
*Facebook
*Youtube

... and any other mediums you know of you like to express your views on.
I'm interested~

@ Firestorm29

That's a good point.
This is why I specify in each community so each part can address the problem, then we can fix the problem and then the overall attitudes can improve!
Yay~

(Thx for the input!)

Tengukami

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2012, 12:07:06 AM »
This is why I specify in each community so each part can address the problem, then we can fix the problem and then the overall attitudes can improve!
Yay~

There are different types of Touhou fans, and they go to the places on the internet that suit them best. Petty internet rivalries between sites cannot be "solved". People can make a conscious choice to participate in them or not. That's all.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2012, 12:12:18 AM »
Perhaps you didn't get my point, without constraints you have tons of different variables that come into affect, and you're not going to get any sort of agreement about if there is bitterness or not in the community. In fact, by having such an extremely open topic, you're biasing your answers towards yes because someone isn't going to be very happy about EVERYTHING Touhou absolutely. I actually kinda support Lunatic Red's locking of the thread on their side because there's absolutely nothing to work with here.

Also would like to second what Tengu said.

« Reply #21 on: July 11, 2012, 12:20:25 AM »
Primary Reason: people aren't laid back enough in general (AKA "why so serious" or "dis guy has a Gohei stuck so far up his arse it interferes with omphaloskepsis" syndrome).
Secondary Reason: peeps have opinions, dissonance between strongly-felt opinions causes ire.
Tertiary Reason: too much time talking about touhou, not enough touhou.

But the maximum cause for bitterness in the fandom is simple.
It is a cause so primal and severe that even the strongest of individuals feel like a salted lemon after experiencing it:
Hearing an amazing arrange as part of a youtube medley or video and being unable to find the individual arrange.

Araceli Caralyz

• A mus~! oxo
    • What I am up to~
« Reply #22 on: July 11, 2012, 12:23:44 AM »
@Tengukami
Thanks, that was useful.

@FireStorm29
Ah, so you caught on.
People will be inclined to say "yes" and thus we have problems!
Which means solutions can be made!

Of course no one is going to be happy about everything, and it's true, it would be a waste of time in trying to put efforts there.
But don't worry, I was going for the bigger picture.

Reason I say this now, is I suspect this is all the useful data I'm going to get from either side.

So thanks for the help guys!
Now I'll continue to collect a bit more data and then I'll let you know later on how this pans out.

@ haoreos2
I took a bit of salt from your lemon and used it to make a delicious concoction from your answer.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
« Reply #23 on: July 11, 2012, 12:28:52 AM »
@FireStorm29
Ah, so you caught on.
People will be inclined to say "yes" and thus we have problems!
Which means solutions can be made!

Of course no one is going to be happy about everything, and it's true, it would be a waste of time in trying to put efforts there.
But don't worry, I was going for the bigger picture.

Reason I say this now, is I suspect this is all the useful data I'm going to get from either side.
Loaded questions are extremely an poor way to gather data unless you're on an agenda. One of the basics I learned from Statistics classes in high school and college. I severely do not trust this thread anymore.

Widermelonz

• Delicious
  • Yum
« Reply #24 on: July 11, 2012, 01:13:11 AM »

I accidentally read "somen" as "semen".

Edible

« Reply #25 on: July 11, 2012, 01:14:04 AM »
I severely do not trust this thread anymore.

You probably shouldn't have from the beginning, but hey.

Nazeo, I'm not really sure whether you're intentionally attempting to stir up shit or otherwise, but this approach is pretty silly.  Don't do this.

aaaaaveeee marrrrriiiiiiiaaaaaaaaaa