Author Topic: Touhou Maiden: Defiant of Shrine Maiden English Translation  (Read 30373 times)

Lately, I've been doing my best to translate the text in a fan-made Touhou RPG called Defiant of Shrine Maiden.  I realized that some people might be interested in an English patch for this game, and that my translations might be decent enough so that people could understand what is happening in the plot and what their Spell Cards do.  However, I know nothing about how to actually make a translation patch or how to insert my translations into the game.  If anyone is interested, I would be happy to do all of the translations for an English patch of this game, if someone could help me to figure out how to make the translations into an actual patch.  I know that this must be possible, because someone started a partial translation patch a long time ago and uploaded pictures, but never finished.

The most widely available up-to-date version of this game appears to be version 3.1.2, so this is likely the version that a translation patch should be made for.  Judging by the in-progress Let's Plays that I've found, this seems to be the version that most people have, including me.  There is a special Gold Edition that goes up to version 3.5.1, but this version is very scarce, as it was produced in very low numbers as a collector's edition.  It has no real differences from version 3.1.2, apart from the fact that it comes on a gold disc.

I've been uploading translation videos onto YouTube, in case you'd like to see aspects of the game and my translations yourself.  I've posted links to the portions I've translated so far below.  Let me know if I messed up with any of the urls, though.  Note that because my translations are in annotations, you must have annotations turned on to see the translations.  They should be enabled by default, but I believe that certain devices cannot display them.

http://youtu.be/GydxjQDUumk
http://youtu.be/KrXuUoFXPjo
http://youtu.be/JUncHEBMBMs
http://youtu.be/4gS4GOGTR9I
http://youtu.be/WDsFV1biztc

That's the short version.  I'll go into more detail below, for people who are interested.

Touhou Maiden (also known as Touhou Meiiden, also known as Defiant of Shrine Maiden, also known as that difficult Touhou RPG) is a fan-made RPG made by Hachikuma.  Hachikuma worked with Strawberry Bose to make Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline, both of which seem to be better known among English speakers; Touhou Maiden was released before these two games.  However, it is not simply a lower-grade version of its successors.  It has a wide variety of excellent features and surpasses its successors in many ways.  For example, it has a lengthy plot filled with funny dialogue and references to assorted video games, manga, and anime.  It also contains a whopping 154 songs that are of very high quality.  It also contains a robust character customization system, through which characters can equip a wide variety of Spell Cards to use in battle or enhance their attributes.  All of the characters from Embodiment of Scarlet Devil through Mountain of Faith are playable (except Lily White, for some reason).  The game can be very difficult, and it has some serious balance issues, but there are effective strategies to win battles against overwhelming odds.  (People have beaten the final bosses with a party of Lv.1 characters by using the proper strategy, so grinding really isn't necessary.)  Overall, I think that anyone who likes Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline will like Touhou Maiden.

There are three major game modes in Touhou Maiden.  The first mode available is normal mode, also known as Defiant of Shrine Maiden.  Because the name "Touhou Maiden" is kind of generic, most people refer to the entire game as Defiant of Shrine Maiden, and I will too subsequently in this post.  In this mode, Reimu and Marisa are issued challenges by several supporting characters.  They believe that if they can defeat Reimu and Marisa, they can become main characters as well and star in their own games.  Before this can be resolved, however, everyone in Gensokyo is summoned into a strange post-apocalyptic version of Tokyo (known simply as Tokyo City), a world haunted by violent creatures.  Reimu and Marisa must find their friends and work on determining a way to return to Gensokyo, all the while dealing with the challenges of the supporting characters and fending off a mysterious group of assassins that may have been the ones responsible for summoning them to Tokyo City.  Meanwhile, they must act as mediators between the Scarlet Devil Mansion and Eientei, which are on unfriendly terms and threaten to fight one another.  After completing normal mode, players may begin EX mode, also known as Counterattack of God Human Being, which was introduced with the first major expansion.  In this mode, the characters decide to further investigate Tokyo City in the hopes of uncovering its deepest secrets.  Reimu and Marisa have broken off all contact with their friends.  Sanae, sensing that nothing but trouble might come of this, decides to recruit everyone in Gensokyo and stand together to solve the mysteries of Tokyo City once and for all, finally confronting the mysterious group of assassins that targeted Reimu and Marisa in the past.  After completing EX mode, players may begin SB mode, also known as Slash Buster (or alternatively "One More Fight on Only One God!!"), which was introduced with the second major expansion.  In this mode, players may attempt the game's bonus dungeon, the Tower of Trials.  Inside, they must battle doppelgangers of every playable Touhou character (except Suika, oddly) and solve challenging puzzles.  At the tower's top lies a very surprising boss.  Clearing this mode unlocks New Game +, allowing characters and items to be transferred between game modes.

I have a basic knowledge of Japanese, but I am not fluent in it, although I am multilingual in other languages.  However, when I attempted to translate part of the game for fun, I realized that I was still able to piece together the overall meaning of the text, despite my shortcomings.  As such, the accuracy of my translations could use improvement in a few spots, but I'm hopefully writing it well enough that people shouldn't be able to tell that by looking at just the English text.  When I translate, I prioritize readability and flow over precise accuracy, so if a phrase doesn't translate well into English, I make necessary modifications or additions.  Overall, I'm trying to write the English translation so that if someone were to read it with no knowledge of the source material, they might think that it was originally written in English.  (How well I'm doing that is up to debate, of course...)

I'm very busy in real life, so I'm translating Defiant of Shrine Maiden bit by bit.  It will likely take me quite a while before I translate all of it, but I will eventually completely translate it.  Also, I will translate all three modes of the game, not just the first one.  I'm translating the text as I encounter it in the game, so I'm starting at the beginning and working my way forward.  It's important to point out that I am translating all of the dialogue, too, and not only the Spell Card names and descriptions.  With such copious amounts of funny dialogue, this game would really suffer if its plot were left untranslated.  Honestly, the plot is one of the best aspects of this game.  Also, I know all of the values for the Spell Cards in the game data, which means that I can easily insert any Spell Card in the game into my inventory, even ones that are normally unobtainable.  This means that translating the Spell Card text will be very easy and will not require me to actually track them all down during actual gameplay.

I know nothing about how patches are made, let alone translation patches.  If anyone knows how I might insert the translated text into the game and compile it as a translation patch, I would be eager to learn how to do it.

Thank you very much for lasting through this lengthy post.  Let me know if you have any questions, or if you think that an English patch for this game would be a good idea.

Re: Touhou Maiden: Defiant of Shrine Maiden English Translation
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2012, 01:07:49 AM »
Wow I though this game had a serious storyline but, I'm kinda wrong heehee. I'm looking forward to this whether a patch is released or not.

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2012, 12:18:53 AM »
Guess what?  I just finished translating all of the Spell Card names!  In this game, Spell Cards comprise everything in your inventory, from weapons and armor to attack skills and magic spells.  There is a BOATLOAD of Spell Cards, which is why it took me so long to translate them all.

On the Touhou Wiki, I found a text document that someone had extracted from the game so that other people could translate it.  This document includes the text for every Spell Card's name and description.  It is also compiled so that the text can be repackaged into the game, making an English Spell Card patch much more doable.  Because no one else had translated it since it had been uploaded a few years ago, I did it myself.  The creator of this text document didn't provide his or her name, but he or she deserves lots of thanks and credit for making this a substantially easier process.

Below is the link to the version of the text file with my English translations.  I've translated all of the names, and I'll translate the descriptions later.  I also translated the descriptions for all of the Spell Card headers (for example, "weapons" and "offensive magic").  I already translated the descriptions of a few dummied-out Spell Cards just for fun, too.  I thought I'd go ahead and post this much now, and then post the completed version later.  Let me know if I messed up and got the wrong url or something.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?a3dp7202j6231nd

Just in case, below is the url for the original text file that I found at the Touhou Wiki.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?zznizlw2not

This means that if someone knows how to repackage this into the game, we should have an English patch for all of the Spell Card names ready very shortly!  I still know nothing about how English patches are made, so I'll need help with this part.  There are a few descriptive lines at the top of the document that were left there by the original extractor.  We might need to remove these lines before repackaging it; the extractor didn't mention any specifics about this.

So, then, here are a few notes on the translation.

I read some notes at the place I found the original text file, and they mentioned some things about character limits for names and descriptions.  They mentioned that name descriptions should be 23 characters or fewer, but might be able to be expanded to 28 characters somehow.  Descriptions should contain fewer than about 200 characters.  I decided to play it safe and keep names at 22 characters or fewer, with descriptions at about 190 characters or fewer.

To save space, I enclosed all deck names with quotation marks, and I excised the word "deck" from most of them.  This probably works pretty well, because it allows the player to see at a glance whether a new treasure is a deck or not.  The original game could be inconsistent about this, because not all decks end in "deck."  Also, because the quotation marks count as characters, this effectively imposes a 20-character limit on deck names.

Some names are not identical to their Japanese counterparts.  In most cases, this is because of space constraints; I did my best to convey the overall meaning of the Japanese phrase in this case.  Other times, a direct translation would produce a very stilted name that either would not make any sense without translator's notes or would sound really silly in English.  In these cases, I altered the names to make them more understandable to most readers.  This mostly applies to things like Japanese idioms and colloquial speech; references to Japanese things and ideas in general were largely left intact.  Very rarely (with only about 4 or 5 Spell Cards), I deliberately mistranslated a name because the original name was really, really gross.  I used alternative names for these that convey the same intent in non-gross ways, so it should hopefully be impossible to tell which Spell Cards I did this with.  There are also a few times in which I took a generic name and altered it a bit to insert a reference to yet another video game or cultural phenomenon.  Lots of existing Spell Cards contain references, so this shouldn't stick out at all.

I tried to identify as many outside references as I could, and I used any existing official English translations of these references when translating them.  For example, Momiji's "Mahyado Slash" was translated as "Kacrackle Slash" because "Kacrackle" is the English name for the "Mahyado" spell in Dragon Quest games.  For another example, "Spell Enhance" was translated as "Enhance Cast" because "Enhance Cast" is the English name used for the spell in "Tales of" games.

When I translate, I prioritize readability and intent over precise accuracy.  If a direct translation would sound awkward in English, I alter it until it flows smoothly.  If you think that any of the names sound too awkward, let me know, and I'll do my best to make it more readable.

Please let me know if you have any comments, or if you know how it might be possible to turn this into a partial English patch.

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2012, 12:33:06 AM »
Oh wow that's amazing! I wish I could help in someway but, I can't and that makes me feel bad. I have a question though... what do you mean by the names were really gross?

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2012, 01:26:32 AM »
Thank you for being interested in this!  That makes me really happy.  I was kind of worried that I'd go to all of this effort, and no one would notice.

If I recall correctly, two of the gross names involve forcefully expelling your own blood at the target.  To some people, this might not sound like a big deal, but it would probably rattle more squeamish people (it rattled me), especially if you were eating while playing the game.  Considering what enemies use these attacks, it was really easy just to translate the skills as using slime instead of blood.  It looks more like a generic liquid in the animation, and it would make equal sense for those enemies to attack with slime.

Another name involves doing something really inappropriate that would probably cause a game to get an "M" rating.  It's probably forbidden to mention on most internet message boards, so I don't think I can go into any more detail on it.  Needless to say, there was no way I could keep this one in.  The actual use of this was extremely nonsensical to begin with, though (seriously, what does "that" have to do with holy water!?), so my rewording probably sounds less out-of-place than the original did.

The other three involved smelly body parts, specifically Yukari's feet, for some reason.  I've never heard of any sort of meme like this before, so I doubt most people would get the reference anyway.  It was really easy to change two of those Spell Cards to reference the Pair of Dirty Socks from Earthbound/MOTHER 2 instead without altering the essential meaning at all.  The third one was changed to involve Yukari manipulating the border between mint and garlic to waft a horrible odor from one of her gaps instead.  Some people find body odor really gross (especially when it's as exaggerated as it is in those Spell Cards), but stinky clothes and garlic breath seem to be viewed as unambiguously comical, so I thought it would be best to alter them, especially because the obscurity of the meme would mean that no one would be likely to get the joke (including me).

Actually, I've just thought of something that I'd like to get feedback on.  It involves the names used for three particular characters.  Basically, Defiant of Shrine Maiden refers to Meiling, Reisen, and Eiki as China, Udonge, and Xanadu.  Most people are probably aware of the China joke, but I don't think I've ever heard the names Udonge or Xanadu used in the English community.  Udonge is a nickname that Eirin calls her, but I don't recall any other characters calling her by this name.  Xanadu seems to be a nickname for Eiki's title, Yamaxanadu, but I don't think I've heard anyone call her this.  Basically, we have three options.

1. We use the most direct translation, referring to them as China, Udonge, and Xanadu in all cases.
2. We keep the names China, Udonge, and Xanadu in character dialogue, but we use their real names in dialogue box headers and status menus.
3. We only use their real names, referring to them as Meiling, Reisen, and Eiki in all cases.

Personally, I'm leaning toward either option 2 or 3, especially because I think that "Xanadu" sounds really silly.  I'd like to know what other people think, though.

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2012, 02:21:15 AM »
Hmm i'm pretty sure this place doesn't ban words but, it's better to be safe then sorry. I'd be best to refer to them by their regular names rather than nicknames. I have a question though are you going to release a menu patch and then storyline patch or release it all together? Oh and another question how the battle system work in this game? Wait are the expansions standalone or do I need to get them all?
« Last Edit: May 25, 2012, 02:38:34 AM by Hinacle »

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2012, 04:06:47 AM »
Regarding the expansions, you only need the last expansion AKA Slash Buster as it also has all the other modes for you to play so you can play the first mode aka the original game.

There was a patch after the last available patch version that was intended to introduce the new patching method for Slash Buster, but to make a long story short, it was too buggy and the creator removed it from the webiste (although not entirely...). There's more details in the old translation threads, IIRC.

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2012, 01:49:00 AM »
Translation front page
Old translation thread
Hope you can find something helpful :D
Regarding the expansions, you only need the last expansion AKA Slash Buster as it also has all the other modes for you to play so you can play the first mode aka the original game.

There was a patch after the last available patch version that was intended to introduce the new patching method for Slash Buster, but to make a long story short, it was too buggy and the creator removed it from the webiste (although not entirely...). There's more details in the old translation threads, IIRC.

Thanks, that's good to know

Ghaleon

• Long twintail-o-holic
« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
Just so you know baity was working on a translation patch several years ago but im pretty sure it was abandoned. But yeah i think he may have completed a fairly sizeable chunk of work, you may wanna ask him if he has useable work for you to yoink.

« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2012, 04:49:20 PM »
You might want to ask the TheNewGuy for how to create a patch.

« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2012, 03:31:19 PM »
After a lot of work, I finally managed to translate the description for every Spell Card in the game.  This means that everything involving Spell Cards is translated, so an English battle menu patch would now be possible (in case people wanted a battle menu patch first, and then a full translation patch later).  It's based on the same text file as before.  A link is below for people who would like to see it.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?ekzu7bas5ytrcgq

Also, I made some new translation videos for the plot, for anyone interested.

http://youtu.be/0dO0NlaxEK8
http://youtu.be/MQSAawsBz68

I think I'm getting better at translating.  I'm still pretty mediocre, but I'm starting to recognize a lot of kanji phrases without even having to look them up.

So, then, here are some miscellaneous notes about the now-translated Spell Card descriptions.

1. There were a lot fewer issues with text constraints with the descriptions than with the names.  In most cases, I was able to combine sentences together and condense the wording to keep all of the original ideas mostly intact.
2. Some descriptions were originally kind of bland and short.  (For example, Sticky Fluid's Japanese description is "Sticky.")  In many of these cases, I had a little fun with the descriptions and added to them to make them more interesting.  This is especially evident with the gun weapons and the monster drop accessories, for which nearly every one has something silly added to its description for humor purposes.
3. For a few descriptions, I added helpful information to aid in using them properly.  For example, in Weapon Bless's description, I pointed out that it can be stacked with Heat Weapon for an even greater attack boost.  This sort of thing should help out people who are playing the game.
4. For enemy-only Spell Cards and dummied-out Spell Cards with no descriptions, I added my own descriptions, usually with a comment that the Spell Card is dummied out.
5. A very small number of Spell Cards had their names changed (about 5 or so).  This was typically either because I realized that I mistranslated it or because I figured out a better way to phrase it.
6. Because there is such a huge number of Spell Cards, it is entirely possible that I made some dumb mistakes in places.  If you find anything that looks wrong, let me know.

With the huge length of the document, I wouldn't expect anyone to read the entire thing (well, unless you're really bored or something).  If you feel like reading bits and pieces of it, though, let me know if it sounds okay.

Also, thank you for giving me the names of those people who might be able to help!  I'll look into contacting them as soon as I have time to do so.

« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2012, 06:56:36 PM »
Oh wow that's great progress. The New Guy is currently working on a patch for Devil of Decline and I think that it'd be better to do a spellcard patch first because translating the whole might be too much for one person. Good job though  :)
« Last Edit: June 18, 2012, 07:17:09 AM by Hinacle »

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2012, 09:53:24 PM »
I've made some more progress since last time.  First, I'm almost done translating the first major "act" of normal mode, which is from the beginning of the game until the battle against Alice.  I'm about halfway done translating the dialogue from the chapter with the Alice battle, because there is so much dialogue after the boss battle.  After this point (which is farther than most people seem to make it in the game before giving up), the game becomes more nonlinear, and you gain the option to switch characters in and out of the active party.

Here are the urls for the videos made since the last post, in case anyone is interested.

http://youtu.be/BsS9aIWozRI
http://youtu.be/dJ7n62fnauQ
http://youtu.be/TPGQsz_wkOY

Second, I proofread the Spell Card translation document, and I fixed some typos and mistranslations that I didn't catch the first time.  Because everything in it is translated, I also replaced the "transcriber's notes" with my own "translator's notes" describing how everything is formatted and what to keep in mind when repacking it into the game.  The url for the newest version is below.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/?e3gtws2cj4lbulo

I contacted BaitySM, and it looks as though the only material that was translated in the old translation project was the Spell Card names and descriptions...which is exactly what I just translated a while back.  >_<  Oh, well.  At least the names and descriptions should mesh better with the plot dialogue this way.  If I had used someone else's translations, then the writing style of the Spell Card names and descriptions might be glaringly different than my style for the dialogue, which might stick out.  It looks as though the tools for extracting and repacking data were lost between transitions between computers, and they were apparently buggy and just barely worked for the earliest versions of the game, anyway.  They might not have worked with version 3.1.2, even if they could still be found.  I did find out, though, that the game is apparently very oddly programmed, and it has some ridiculous space constraints for certain text fields.

It also looks like most people who know how to make translation patches are already busy with other projects, so for now, I'll just keep translating the game and see what happens later.  Even if I can't find out how to make a translation patch for the game, at least I could make translation documents that people could refer to as they played, so that they would have an idea of what is going on.

I had an odd idea just the other day, though.  Once I've finished translating the entire game (and considering that I'm only about 18% done with the plot dialogue, that will take quite a while), and if I still haven't found a way to make a translation patch, I was thinking that it might be a better idea to just remake the game from the ground up using RPG Maker.  I'm pretty good with RPG Maker, and if I modify the custom game engine I made for an original game I'm working on right now, it would be pretty similar to how Defiant of Shrine Maiden operates.  I could also use the opportunity to rebalance the gameplay, tone down the excessive difficulty (or even add difficulty options), add sidequests and additional dungeons, and add characters from the games after Mountain of Faith.  I was actually secretly hoping to make a rebalancing patch in addition to a translation patch (because the absurd and often unfair difficulty turns a lot of people off), so this might work out for the best.  What do you think?

Also, would anyone be interested in having the translations contained within some kind of document for easy reference?  I currently have the translations I use for the videos compiled within an Excel file, and it would be easy enough to separate each chapter's dialogue into a separate Excel file so people could read them while playing the game.  (Can most people open Excel files on their computers?)

« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2012, 02:13:48 AM »
Don't worry, mindflayer lovers.
LOL

If you can't find a way to make a patch, then I'll be happy to play it RPGMaker form. Although, how are you gonna handle the mapping, sprites, attack animations, and the portraits?

GuyYouMetOnline

• Surprisingy not smart for lynch dodging
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2012, 07:26:16 PM »
To be honest, I'd rather just have an English patch (even though I do like the idea of having post-MoF characters). If you don't know how to make an actual patch, you could always just provide your translations to someone who does, leaving that person or people with much less work to do.

« Reply #15 on: July 20, 2012, 10:53:19 PM »
While my Japanese isn't top-notch (I haven't actually done so but I could probably take the N3 test, if you know what that is), I am definitely interested in this game and would be delighted to help out if I can.

« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2012, 01:53:48 AM »
Sorry for the delay in posting; I didn't have access to a computer for the past two weeks.

First, new translation video time!  This is the longest one yet.  This chapter is really dialogue-intensive, probably because it signifies the beginning of another major section of normal mode.

http://youtu.be/DwJxKJy1L1c

Looking back at my earlier post, I don't think I explained the situation with the possible RPG Maker remake very well.  Basically, if I do obtain the necessary means to make a translation patch, then I'm almost certainly going to make the patch no matter what.  However, in the event that I'm not able to make a patch (whether because I can't figure out how, or because the text constraints and prior programming are just too confining, or because I can't find someone who knows how to do it and has enough time to do it), I was considering remaking the game, allowing people to still be able to play some version of it in English.  Also, because the ridiculous difficulty of the original game is a major turn-off for a lot of people, I was hoping to make a difficulty patch that would make enemies a bit easier and rebalance the gameplay (like boosting the stats of weaker characters).  This patch would be separate from the English patch, so that people could still play in English with the original difficulty if they wanted.  If I couldn't figure out how to make a difficulty patch, I could address this with the remake, which would have multiple difficulty options.

So, then, here are the plans for the different possibilities of what ends up happening.

1. If I can make both a translation patch and difficulty patch, then I will release them both.  I will make the remake only if people still desire it.
2. If I can make a translation patch but not a difficulty patch, then I will release it by itself.  I might make the remake, especially if people indicate they'd like it.
3. If I can't make either a translation patch or difficulty patch, then I'll upload the translations in the form of text documents for easy reference.  I will almost definitely make the remake, so that people can play some form of the game in English and with reasonable difficulty.

If you can't find a way to make a patch, then I'll be happy to play it RPGMaker form. Although, how are you gonna handle the mapping, sprites, attack animations, and the portraits?

I'm pretty experienced at making games with RPG Maker, so those shouldn't be difficult.  I've done all of the planning, programming, art, and music for games I've made in the past, so I should be able to handle all of those areas for a Defiant of Shrine Maiden remake.  (Plus, remaking this game is easy compared to the much more ambitious game I'm working on right now as my main project.)

For mapping tiles and most sprites, I can simply screen-capture them from the original game during actual play.  I have about 100 back-up save files at various points in the game, so getting to a given point to capture graphics shouldn't be difficult.  For the mapping tiles for new areas, I can use a combination of recycling mapping tiles from older areas and drawing new mapping tiles in the same style as the old ones.  For the sprites for new characters (and new animations for older characters), I can simply draw them in the same style as the originals.  Because the sprites aren't too big, it isn't too hard to imitate their style.

I can't really screen-capture most attack animations, though, because a lot of them have translucent effects which cause the battle background to show.  As a result, I might end up redoing a lot of them from scratch.  This is probably for the best, because I'd need to make animations for the new skills I'm adding anyway.  Making all of the animations would prevent conflicts in style.  I do, however, have access to all of the original sound effects, so those will likely be preserved.

Character portraits and enemy sprites are a bit thorny.  I'm perfectly capable of screen-capturing them, but there's no way I can imitate their style when I do the portraits and enemy sprites for new characters and enemies.  As a result, I should probably do them all from scratch.  My drawing style seems to be kind of hit-or-miss with people (things that I draw tend to be cutesy and colorful, with high expressiveness but little focus on realism), but it should hopefully be okay for the purposes of the game.

For music, I'll be using all of the original game's music, and I'll also write additional songs myself.  I'm more confident in my song-writing skills than in my drawing skills.  New songs would play when exploring new areas and when battling new characters (namely, the characters from Subterranean Animism onward), but I'll also add a few songs in places in which I felt different songs were needed in the original game.  For example, I've partially finished a theme song for Cirno and Letty's group, whereas the original game didn't have a unique song for Cirno and Letty's appearances in cutscenes.  As another example, I'll probably move the Prison's song to another area and write a new song for the Prison, because the Prison's original song clashes horribly and doesn't fit the Prison well at all.

While my Japanese isn't top-notch (I haven't actually done so but I could probably take the N3 test, if you know what that is), I am definitely interested in this game and would be delighted to help out if I can.

Even if you didn't know any Japanese at all, there are still ways in which you could help out.  For example, you could read some of my translated lines (without any knowledge of the original Japanese) and determine whether any lines sound awkward or difficult to understand.  Also, you could give any suggestions for the remake I might possibly make.

Also, one last thought: it would be nice to hear people's input on the ideas I've had on what to add or change for the potential remake.  However, seeing as that's kind of branching off from the translation project, it would probably be best to make a separate topic for it on the board for fan-game discussion, right?

« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2012, 07:33:54 AM »
Also, one last thought: it would be nice to hear people's input on the ideas I've had on what to add or change for the potential remake.  However, seeing as that's kind of branching off from the translation project, it would probably be best to make a separate topic for it on the board for fan-game discussion, right?
You could just change the topic name to something like: Touhou Maiden: Defiant of Shrine Projects.

translation documents
Is there anyway you could include the names in Japanese? It's hard to play with them if I can't read Japanese.... :blush:

« Reply #18 on: September 03, 2012, 05:02:49 PM »
Update time!  First, here's a new translation video.  It's a pretty long one, but not as long as it's been since I last updated. >_<

http://youtu.be/R1R8pSVBvMs

Also, I have some translation documents.  One is just yet another version of the Spell Card translations (which mostly fixes minor errors, including a really embarrassing one in which I accidentally said that Rumia could use Demon-Binding Circle instead of Reimu o_O), but the other one is the first version of the long-awaited translation notes.  Here are the links below.

Translation Notes
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?8ek5odgjmqakii4

Spell Card Translations
http://www.mediafire.com/view/?42lguzv5guuj5dn

Is there anyway you could include the names in Japanese? It's hard to play with them if I can't read Japanese.... :blush:
Actually, the existing versions of the Spell Card translation document were formatted for being inserted back into the game.  I haven't actually made a version that's more ideal for practical use during gameplay, but I definitely plan to do so.  What do you think the most effective way to set it up would be?  One possibility would be to put it in an Excel document, and include each Spell Card's Japanese name, English name, and English description (because I don't think the Japanese description would be any help for practical use).  I could divide the Spell Cards across Excel sheets according to in-game classification (such as Short-Range Physical, Long-Range Physical, and so on), and have one sheet with all Spell Cards listed, for when someone wants to search for something across all Spell Cards.  Of course, this would require someone to be able to open Excel documents; would most people be able to open those files?

---

Also, in the background, I've done a bit of work on the potential remake, just in case it looked like it might end up being a good idea.  I don't want to get too involved in it this early in the translation (especially because I can't really make it until the translation is completely finished), but I have done some planning and a tiny bit of programming.

I've finally set up a lot of the core game mechanics, as well as some of the ways in which menus are laid out.  In particular, I think I finally have a decent-looking status menu, which looks better than the status menu in the original game (and WAY better than the RPG Maker default).  All of the stats display properly, including even elemental and status ailment affinity, and I even have a large character portrait for each character.  (I think I need more practice drawing human(oid)s, though.  It took me about 5 attempts to get a portrait of Reimu I was satisfied with.  I'm more used to drawing animals and monsters.)  I've also updated a few of the character sprites from the original Defiant of Shrine Maiden; some were simple (for Reimu, I just changed the color of her ribbon from blue to yellow), but others were trickier (Youmu pretty much got a total overhaul, because there were a lot of things wrong with her original sprites).

I thought I might outline a few of the additions and changes that I thought could be nice to have in the remake, though, so I could get opinions on them.  I'll group them, so that they're easier to swallow.  I tend to go on and on a little too much. >_<

Overview
-The game will be made using RPG Maker XP, which I have prior experience with.  It will feature custom scripting, but all of it will be done by me (and most of it has already been implemented).  This means it won't be buggy like most RPG Maker games, because it won't have scripts conflicting with each other.  It will be thoroughly bug-tested.
-The game will be based on a custom RPG Maker engine that I'm developing for an unrelated original game that I'm designing right now.
-The game will include the material from all of the expansions, but EX mode's material will be overhauled because Mountain of Faith is no longer the newest game in the series.
-The game will be much better balanced than the original game.  Characters and skills will be meticulously tested to make sure that none of them are overpowered or underpowered.  This means that characters who were nearly useless in the original game (like Wriggle) will now be very powerful.
-The difficulty will be overall much more forgiving than in the original game, but multiple difficulty modes will be present to suit different difficulty preferences.  The game will avoid using "fake" difficulty, relying more on strategy and planning than on trial-and-error.
-The structure will be less like a dungeon crawler and more like a traditional RPG.  There will be sidequests separate from the main story, and areas with NPCs to talk to.  Dungeons will be less linear, with interconnected areas for easier navigation.  There will also be more puzzles.
-Characters will speak in cutscenes much more evenly.  Characters like Wriggle and Rumia will continue to participate in cutscenes after they've joined the party, unlike in the original game.
-The game will use graphics and music from the original game, as well as custom graphics and music designed by me.  New graphics will closely imitate the style of the old graphics so that they don't stick out.
-There will be new plot elements, and there will be new areas to visit.  There will also be reasons to revisit old areas.

Gameplay Modes
-Main mode will still be the first mode, and will be structured similarly to the way it is in the original game, albeit with additional material.  Notable among these is the fact that there will now be 8 possible routes instead of 2.  Completing it opens access to EX mode.
-EX mode still causes characters to start over in terms of growth.  However, it is structured completely differently.  Instead of focusing on the Mountain of Faith characters, it will now switch focus between all characters.  Different characters will team up with one another, and the perspective will switch between these groups of characters as you advance through the plot.  For example, you might be playing as Yukari, Ran, and Chen for a while, and then the perspective might shift to Sanae, Kanako, and Suwako's group.  All characters in EX mode will start at Lv.1 in areas of early-game difficulty, allowing the player to raise all of them from the beginning and customize their growth as he or she sees fit.  The characters will eventually join up together, giving the player free control of the active party.
-SB mode (which was originally just a bonus dungeon) will now be part of EX mode.  You will now use the Touhou characters inside the Tower of Trials instead of being forced to use Original Characters.  There will also be other bonus dungeons in addition to the Tower of Trials, including ones that reference Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline.

Difficulty Modes
-Unlike the original game, this game will feature different difficulty modes.  I haven't yet decided whether it will be possible to change difficulty mode after having already started a file.
-Easy mode will be ideal for people who are new to video games.  The difficulty will be very tame, and the game will actively offer in-game tutorials to help the player adjust to the gameplay mechanics.  Enemies and bosses will not be very aggressive, giving large room for error.  Note that playing on easy mode will NOT lock the player out of any features, nor cause the ending to be less satisfying.
-Normal mode will be ideal for people who have some experience with video games.  It will still be much easier than the original game, but it will still pose a bit of a challenge.  Some battles may be difficult without using an effective strategy.
-Hard mode will be ideal for people who have completed many RPGs in the past.  Enemies and bosses will be more intelligent and higher-leveled, and will have access to more skills.  It will not be possible to blast through boss battles with raw power; strategy will be essential.
-Lunatic mode will be ideal for people who really want a challenge and think most RPGs are too easy.  Enemies and bosses will have extremely efficient AI and will not pull any punches.  Enemies will be high-leveled and will not only use skills intelligently and effectively, but will also assume combat roles and cooperate with one another.  Boss battles will be nearly impossible without an effective strategy.  There will still not be any "cheap" difficulty, though, and luck will not be required to succeed, meaning that Lunatic mode may still be "easier" than the original game from some perspectives.  Even on Lunatic mode, strategy and preparation will trump all, and all characters will still be effective and usable.
-I'm considering implementing separate difficulty modes for puzzles, which will be much more prevalent and fun than in the original game.  For example, puzzles would be very simple on Easy puzzle mode, but very challenging on Lunatic puzzle mode.  This would allow a player to potentially have easy battles but difficult puzzles, for instance.

Storyline Routes
-In the original game's Main mode, the player could choose between one of two routes, either siding with the Scarlet Devil Mansion to oppose Eientei or siding with Eientei to oppose the Scarlet Devil Mansion.
-In this game, there will be 8 possible routes instead of 2.  Two of these routes will be neutral routes, in which the player does not side with any of the groups.
-There will now be 6 primary factions: the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Eientei, the Moriya Shrine, the Palace of the Earth Spirits, the Myouren Temple, and Senkai.  As with the original game, characters unrelated to these factions may be aligned with them, such as Yukari supporting Eientei.
-Overall, the Scarlet Devil Mansion, Eientei, and the Palace of the Earth Spirits are mostly concerned with finding a way to return to Gensokyo.  The Moriya Shrine, the Myouren Temple, and Senkai wish to restore harmony to Tokyo City before returning (but for different reasons).
-Like in the original game, siding with the Scarlet Devil Mansion causes you to fight Eientei, and vice versa.  Now, siding with the Moriya Shrine causes you to fight the Palace of the Earth Spirits, and vice versa.  Siding with the Myouren Temple causes you to fight Senkai, and vice versa.
-In one neutral path, you fight everyone, but re-recruit characters to your side.  In the other neutral path, you fight almost no one.  One neutral path is difficult to unlock, while the other is always available.
-You are no longer locked onto a path extremely early in the game.  You can accept missions from any group without being locked into supporting that group.  You now actively choose which group you will support shortly before you would challenge one of them in the original game.  Depending on your actions, you may be limited in terms of which groups are willing to let you support them.
-Depending on which route you take, you will obtain certain bonus items in EX mode.  These bonus items are all obtainable through other methods, so you cannot permanently miss anything by choosing a particular route.
-Like in the original game, EX mode is largely the same no matter which route you followed in Main mode.  However, EX mode may have more than one possible ending, depending on your actions within it (unlike in the original game).

Characters
-The game will include all characters who appear in games from Embodiment of Scarlet Devil through Ten Desires, as well as Kasen and at least a few PC-98 characters (Mima, Shinki, Elly, Yumemi, Chiyuri, and Genjii are definitely in).  Minibosses without dialogue (like Daiyousei, Koakuma, and Lily White) will be playable, too.
-The Original Characters will most likely not be playable.  This is in part because of space constraints, but also because most people seemed to hate being forced to use them in the original game (and never used them when they were optional).  As such, the player will now use the Touhou characters in the Tower of Trials, instead of being forced to use Original Characters.
-Unlike in the original game, some characters will not be overpowered or underpowered compared to others.  Characters like Wriggle and Rumia will be powerful and useful, and characters like Sakuya will not overshadow everyone else.
-All characters will have the same stat total at a given level, but the stats will be distributed differently.  In other words, no characters will have higher total stats than other characters, but they will still have specialties.
-Every character will be moderately weak to 2 elements, very weak to 1 element, moderately resistant to 2 elements, and very resistant to 1 element.
-Every character will be innately immune to 2 status ailments.
-Each character will have access to 5 Spell Cards and 1 Last Word, in addition to normal skills.
-Characters will have definite specialties, but will have enough versatility that just about any team can work effectively with proper strategy.
-Each character will have 5 decks that determine the character's stat distribution (and thus battle role).  1 will be the default deck (which will typically be the most balanced), while the other 4 will be more specialized and must be obtained or unlocked.  The default deck will not be weaker than the other 4 decks; all decks are equally useful, but serve different purposes.
-In Main Mode, most, but not all, characters will be playable.  In EX mode and SB mode, all characters will be playable.  Because of the way in which EX mode will now be structured, no characters will join late like in the original game.  Note that many Mountain of Faith characters will be playable in Main mode, unlike in the original game.

Stats and Mechanics
-Characters will be able to reach Lv.99, instead of the original game's Lv.999 (although most people never went higher than around Lv.200).  However, leveling up will be much more meaningful than in the original game, and will make a much more substantial difference.
-The experience a character receives from battle is dependent on the level of the enemy.  If the enemy is higher-leveled than the character, the character will receive lots of experience and can level up quickly.  However, if the enemy is lower-leveled, the character will not gain much experience.  Enemies that are much weaker than the character won't give any experience at all.  This makes it quick and easy for characters to catch up if they're behind, but difficult to get overleveled.
-Characters will level up even when not in the party, and even when they haven't even joined yet.  This makes it easier to use a large number of characters, which will make the split-party dungeons much more enjoyable.  The exception is in the first part of EX mode, when characters are split into different teams and each team's composition is locked into place.  Characters in other teams don't gain experience when not being used, but by the time they all join up, they'll all be about the same level, anyway.
-Maximum HP and MP always cap at 100, no matter what.
-The 6 core attributes are STR (Strength), VIT (Vitality), DEX (Dexterity), AGI (Agility), CON (Concentration), and WIL (Willpower).  CON replaces INT from the original game, because a character's intelligence has no logical connection to her skill at using offensive magic (glaringly, Eirin has lower INT than Cirno in the original game), but mental concentration does.  WIL replaces POT from the original game, because not only does potential have little to do with magic defense, but not even the developers were sure what POT was supposed to mean (it stands for potential, but the Japanese description sounds closer to luck).
-The 6 core attributes directly determine 12 stats.  Each attribute strongly influences 2 stats, and slightly influences 4 other stats.  This makes it easier to keep track of stats than in the original game, as you only need to worry about boosting the 6 attributes.  Also, all stats are very important.  None of them are "dump stats."
-Physical Attack increases damage dealt by your physical attacks.  It is most influenced by STR.
-Physical Defense reduces damage sustained by enemy physical attacks.  It is most influenced by VIT.
-Magic Attack increases damage dealt by your magic attacks.  It is most influenced by CON.
-Magic Defense reduces damage sustained by enemy magic attacks.  It is most influenced by WIL.
-Accuracy increases the chance that your attacks will hit enemy targets instead of missing.  It is most influenced by DEX.
-Evasion reduces the chance that enemy attacks will hit you, making them more likely to miss.  It is most influenced by AGI.
-Critical Rate increases the chance that your attacks will land a critical hit, dealing 10 more damage than normal.  It is most influenced by STR.
-Critical Dodge decreases the chance that enemy attacks will land a critical hit on you.  It is most influenced by CON.
-Action Speed determines the order in which characters act in battle, with characters with higher Action Speed acting first.  It is most influenced by AGI.
-Healing Power increases the healing potency of your HP recovery skills, and also makes it easier to cure status ailments and lowered stats.  It is most influenced by WIL.
-Induction makes it easier to inflict status ailments and lower enemies' stats, and also makes it easier to dispel stat boosts from enemies.  It is most influenced by DEX.
-Resilience makes it harder for foes to inflict status ailments on you and lower your stats, and also makes it harder for enemies to dispel your raised stats.  It is most influenced by VIT.
-Some stats from the original game no longer exist or work differently.  There are no longer border and barrier stats.  Accuracy, Evasion, Critical Rate, and Critical Dodge influence all attacks and not just physical attacks.  Skills can no longer be interrupted, so the Concentration stat no longer exists.  MP costs are now unchangeable, so stats related to MP cost no longer exist.  Status ailments have fixed durations dependent on the power of the skill that inflicted them, so the Recovery stat no longer exists.  Skills and equipment no longer have Weight, so the Weight and Weight Capacity stats no longer exist.
-There are also no longer elemental affinity stats.  Instead, characters are only able to learn skills for which they have a strong elemental affinity.  For example, in the original game, Cirno could use Fire magic, but it would probably deal 0 damage.  In this game, Cirno cannot learn Fire magic period, and can only learn skills that she would be good at using.

Notes on Status Ailments
-Status ailments will be very useful and important, and will even work on bosses.  Their odds of landing are not luck-dependent.  They will either work 100% of the time or 0% of the time, depending on stats and immunities.
-If the target is immune to the status ailment you are trying to inflict, your skill will fail no matter what.
-If your Induction is greater than or equal to the target's Resilience, the status ailment will successfully apply 100% of the time.
-If your Induction is less than the target's Resilience, the status ailment will never apply.
-These rules apply when enemies are targeting you with status ailments, too.  If you don't want to be subject to status ailments (or lowered stats), try raising your WIL in order to increase your Resilience.
-These rules also apply when attempting to use a Dispel skill to remove the target's boosted stats.
-Note that there are no longer instant-KO skills like Death.  This means that although having low Resilience will leave you susceptible to status ailments and lowered stats, it will not leave you vulnerable to skills that would instantly defeat you.
-There are different levels of status ailments.  A higher-leveled status ailment lasts longer and is tougher to remove.  You'll need to use a high-level recovery skill to remove high-level status ailments.  (The more MP a skill costs, the higher-leveled it is.)  Note that status ailments that deal damage over time, like Poison, Burn, and Curse, always deal 10 damage per turn, regardless of the status ailment's level.

Battles
-Battles will no longer be triggered by touching an enemy.  Instead, only the player can initiate a battle.  This means that you will not need to avoid enemies, and you will not be forced to fight battles against your will.  Avoid too many battles, though, and you may be too weak to handle the next boss or miniboss.  The responsibility falls to the player to strike a balance between accepting and forgoing battle.
-Battles can be started by investigating shadowy portals.  Each portal has a mostly predetermined combination of enemies, although the number of enemies will differ depending on the size of your party.  (For example, if you only have 1 character in your party, you'll never encounter more than 1 enemy at a time.)  If you have cleared a portal before, it will be glowing with white light instead.  You may obtain prizes for clearing many portals within a dungeon.  Sometimes, it may also be necessary to clear a certain number of portals in order to open a pathway.
-The party size still consists of 6 characters.  However, there is no longer a front row and back row.  This means that all characters can fight using close-range attacks.  Characters who were previously intended to be used in the back row, like Marisa, are now much more durable than before.
-Battles are now turn-based, similar to Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline.  This is partially to prevent Action Speed from being too important a stat, and partially because I don't know how to program anything else. XD
-On the whole, both playable characters and enemies are more resilient than in the original game.  It will typically take multiple hits to defeat someone; 1 or 2-hit-KOs will almost never happen unless there is a huge level difference.  This is helped by the fact that instant-KO attacks no longer exist, and by the fact that critical hits increase damage by 10 instead of doubling damage.
-Elemental weaknesses and resistances will increase or decrease damage from relevant attacks by either 5 or 10, depending on the strength of the weakness or resistance.
-Skills no longer have Use Count stats, so you can use them as much as you like.
-MP now works in a standard style (like in Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline), so characters can no longer go into overheat.  This means that for expensive skills, you'll need to have high MP before you can use them.
-HP and MP no longer recover after battle.  However, a careful battler shouldn't be taking as much damage as in the original game, so this shouldn't be a problem.  Resting at the shrine or at a healing circle will restore HP and MP, though, as well as revive KOed characters.
-KOed characters are no longer revived after battle, and reviving skills are rare.  Because getting KOed is much more avoidable in this game, the best strategy is to not get KOed in the first place.  A very skilled and careful player should be able to complete the entire game without a single character getting KOed.
-If a character is revived, the character will be immune to damage and status ailments until the current turn ends.  This prevents the annoying situation in which a character is revived, only to be immediately KOed again before you can heal her.  This is good, because reviving skills are expensive, and they don't restore much HP.
-There is a new system in place that is tentatively known as "Tolerance."  If a character is struck by a powerful attack, he or she will be highly resistant to additional powerful attacks for a certain period of time, causing most powerful attacks directed at the character to deal 0 damage, even Last Words.  The stronger the attack, the longer the cool-down period before that character is susceptible to strong attacks again.  Until then, you can only damage the character by using weak attacks with low base power.  This serves two purposes.  First, it prevents enemies from ganging up on one of your characters and defeating her before you can react.  Second, it prevents you from bum-rushing a boss with Spell Cards and Last Words.
-Because of Tolerance, it is often best to spread out your attacks between enemy targets instead of ganging up on one opponent.
-No skills are ever rendered obsolete.  Because Max MP never increases, skills that start costly will remain costly.  In some cases, you may find it best to use weaker attacks, conserving your MP for other purposes.  Weaker attacks are also less subject to Tolerance.  However, weaker attacks may deal 0 damage to enemies with high defensive stats or who resist the attacks' elements, so be careful.
-If a skill deals about 20 damage when used by a Lv.1 character on a Lv.1 enemy, then it will deal about 20 damage when used by a Lv.99 character on a Lv.99 enemy.  No skills scale poorly in terms of power.  (Remember: Max HP never increases, so 20 damage at Lv.1 is as powerful as 20 damage at Lv.99.)
-Spell Cards are more powerful than a character's other skills, and often carry interesting effects, such as ignoring elemental resistance or slightly lowering a stat for 1 turn in addition to dealing damage.  However, they have high MP costs, and are strongly affected by Tolerance.  It is generally best to space out Spell Card usage instead of having everyone use Spell Cards on the same turn.  (Healing and supportive Spell Cards are not subject to Tolerance, though.)
-If a character is damaged by a Spell Card, that character will be immune to Spell Card and Last Word damage for 1 turn.  In other words, for the remainder of the current turn and on the next turn, Spell Cards and Last Words targeting that character will inflict no damage.
-Last Words are ultimate attacks with unparalleled power.  They always deal damage, but they may apply an added effect at the cost of a bit of power.  (On the whole, single-target Last Words deal more damage than multi-target Last Words.)  However, Last Words are heavily subject to Tolerance.  They also cost 100 MP to use, which is the most MP that a character can hold at a time.  Before using a Last Word, a character may need to Focus until her MP refills to 100, unless she uses it on the first turn of battle.  Make sure that character won't need to do anything else on the next turn, because with 0 MP remaining, that character will need to Focus on the next turn.
-If a character is damaged by a Last Word, that character will be immune to Spell Card damage for 2 turns and immune to Last Word damage for 4 turns.
-Remember: unlike in Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline, Last Words may be used at will.  You don't need to hope that one charges before you can use it.

Dungeons
-Dungeons will be less linear than before, and easier to navigate.  They will rarely dead-end, and will instead loop around to other parts of the dungeon once short-cuts have been opened.  The boss is typically close to the dungeon's entrance, but requires something to be done in order to open a path to the boss.
-Most dungeons will have animals or youkai wandering around inside.  Talk to them, and they'll provide information and advice.  Because enemies are now fought by checking portals, all youkai wandering around are friendly.
-You may revisit older dungeons when undertaking sidequests.  Because enemies are challenged through portals, you won't need to deal with enemies again if you don't want to.  Also, portals will remain cleared, and short-cuts will remain opened.  Sometimes, a sidequest may allow you to access a part of a dungeon that you couldn't reach before.
-Because there are no longer Map Actions for each character, you will traverse dungeons by interacting with the environment more often.  For example, instead of using Chen to hop over a river, you might move a log over to act as a bridge.
-By obtaining certain items and completing certain sidequests, you can add or change already-cleared dungeons to make them more welcoming and appealing.  For example, you can plant flowers and trees, or clear up rubble and fix broken floors.  NPCs from town may even visit.  Doing this is not necessary, but enhancing dungeons in this way might pay off later.
-At the entrance to each boss room, a helpful animal or youkai will be waiting to give you information about the boss.  This includes the boss's general strategy, as well as what sorts of skills and strategies might work best.  This can help people to know what to expect from a boss, so that they can organize their party accordingly.  Listening to this advice is optional, so players can still do a blind run of the fight if desired.
-When a boss challenges you, the battle won't start until you accept the challenge.  Until then, you can leave the dungeon and sort out your party.
-Bosses will always drop their items.  You will no longer need to reset until you obtain a boss's drop item.

Town
-There will now be a town in which ordinary residents of Tokyo City live.  The inhabitants mostly lack combat ability and are bewildered by the influx of monsters and youkai into Tokyo City, but refused to evacuate the city like most non-combatants.  This town will feature prominently in the plot, often serving as a location to learn about your next destination and to meet new characters.  A bulletin board has a list of sidequests that are currently available.  The shops will be located in this town now, instead of in Electric City.
-Many of the inhabitants of the town view Reimu as a potential savior from the problems they are facing.  Whether you help them or not is up to you, but your actions will affect the flow of the plot.  Other characters, such as Sanae, Byakuren, and Miko, often visit the town to offer help, but for different reasons.
-Rinnosuke and Akyuu have set up residence in the town.  They now have dialogue and plot importance, unlike in the original game.

Items and Equipment
-Because Map Actions are no longer present, money is now used for buying items and equipment.
-Raw materials, which can be purchased or obtained after defeating enemies, can be synthesized into new raw materials or equipment.  This is similar to Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline.  You may be able to obtain equipment earlier than normal by making use of synthesis.
-Raw materials are much easier to obtain than in Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline.  Enemies are more likely to drop items than in the original game (including raw materials), and many raw materials can be purchased with money.
-The equipment system is more similar to Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline, in that you have different slots for different types of equipment.  Equipment is no longer classified as a type of Spell Card, and no longer has weight.
-There are five different kinds of equipment.  Weapons primarily increase STR and CON.  Body equipment primarily increases VIT and WIL.  Arm equipment primarily increases DEX.  Leg equipment primarily increases AGI.  Equipment that goes in the "Other" slot tends to have a wide variety of effects, such as increasing resistance to an element or granting immunity to a status ailment.
-Each character has a unique type of weapon that she can equip, like in Genius of Sappheiros.  For example, Reimu uses gohei, and Marisa uses brooms.  However, there are no longer generic weapons that almost anyone can equip.
-Equipment in the "Body," "Arms," and "Legs" slots comes in multiple types, and different types can be equipped by different characters.  There is overlap, though, and armor is not typically unique to a particular character, unlike weapons.
-Equipment in the "Other" slot can usually be equipped by anyone.

Skills and Spell Cards
-There is no longer a limit on the number of skills and Spell Cards a character can have access to at a given time.  Instead, characters have restrictions on what skills they can learn.  For example, Reimu can learn magic of the Aura and Sun elements, which fit her specialties, but not magic of other elements.
-Characters are able to learn physical skills that fit their preferred weapon.  For example, Reimu can use Crush-elemental skills (using her gohei) and Shot-elemental skills (using the Yin-Yang Orb).  Many characters only have access to 1 physical element (like Marisa, who can only use Thrust-elemental skills using her broom), but others can use skills of 2 physical elements, like Reimu and Youmu.  Characters with access to more physical elements typically have access to fewer magical elements to compensate.
-I'm still not sure whether characters should learn skills by using cards that are purchased or found (similar to the original Defiant of Shrine Maiden), or if they should learn skills by spending Growth Points earned by level up (similar to the original game I'm working on, and vaguely like Genius of Sappheiros).
-If characters learned skills through cards, you would find cards in treasure chests and purchase them using money.  If a card's skill is one that a character can learn, you could use the card on the character to permanently teach the character that skill.
-If characters learned skills through Growth Points, characters would earn Growth Points after leveling up.  These points could be spent to unlock skills and permanent stat boosts along 4 major skill trees.  Each skill tree would embody a different role that character could assume in battle.  You would need to unlock bonuses on each skill tree in order, although you could jump between multiple skill trees with no problem.  Advancing through a skill tree far enough could unlock a deck that fits the skill tree's role.
-If you have ideas on which of these two possibilities sounds the most interesting, let me know.

Sorry for the huge length.  If anyone looks through some of that mess, let me know what you think of those ideas.

« Reply #19 on: September 03, 2012, 08:02:33 PM »
I liked it better when your equipment mattered more than your level. I can't speak for everyone but it would be better to keep the spellcard system the same and take the growth system out.  The extra routes are really good. It would be better to keep the original system so, that way people can have the same experience as the original game and have some really nice extras. 

HGH

« Reply #20 on: September 06, 2012, 07:14:11 AM »
Been keeping up with the translation since it started, and I've gotta say you've done amazing work up until now, so keep it up!

I'm pretty sure most people know how to open and operate basic Excel files. It shouldn't be a problem even on Macs or different devices since there's usually a way to use it on those.

As for the game remake project.... Wow. I've gotta say I'm impressed you'd go through all this work to make it. I know you probably count it as a side project/training to whatever game you really want to make, but this still seems like a really massive project to undertake! As to the actual details of it... well I can't really object with anything. You seem to already have everything planned pretty well. While I wouldn't mind seeing a remake that's more faithful to the original, I'm more interested in seeing how your ideas come out, given how much thought you seem to have put into them.

Anyway, good luck with your work.

« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 02:15:05 AM »
I was hoping to have another video or two done before I posted again, but I've been dealing with some serious real-life issues lately, so I've had less time to work on the translation.  I'm still making good progress, though.  I've translated most of the text in Book Chapter, including the descriptions for all 161 doujinshi obtainable in the timed section.  Now, I just have to figure out the best way to display those doujinshi translations in the video without the in-game time limit expiring or the video length getting too bloated. :/

I also found a cutscene that probably should have gone at the end of the last Intermission video.  Initially, I thought you had to clear the Black Mass Site before you could trigger it, but I recently found out that it triggers the first time you enter the Scarlet Devil Mansion with Patchouli in your active party.  (Apart from the events that lead to the chapter with Warisa, I think it's the only event in the game that requires someone to be in the active party before it will trigger.)  I'm thinking that I'll put it in a second Intermission video (called 2nd Intermission, maybe?) before the Book Chapter video.  Considering the massive quantity of path-specific cutscenes at this point in the game, it may be best to contain some non-chapter cutscenes within additional Intermission videos to prevent the chapter videos from being too long.

Incidentally, for anyone who has actually played this game, have you ever managed to trigger a boss battle at the Hakurei Shrine against a giant demon-like thing called Ancient Devil?  When the time comes, I'll need to translate that scene, but I've somehow never managed to trigger the battle in any of my playthroughs.  I'll search carefully for it, so even if no one knows the criteria for triggering it, I should probably be able to find it.

---

Now, for things involving the potential remake.

Thank you for the feedback you've given me so far!  At this point, very little is set in stone, so feel free to share any suggestions or ideas you have about pretty much anything related to the remake.  Because I can't do much on it until the translation is completely finished (which will take quite a while), there is plenty of time for planning, so don't feel rushed or anything.  I sometimes get confused about to what extent to apply general suggestions, so try to give specific examples so that I don't misinterpret your suggestion.

I do want to mention, though, that because I'm not an expert at programming or RPG Maker scripting, there will be some limitations on what I can do in the remake.  There are some aspects of the original game that I simply don't know how to duplicate, so I couldn't implement them even if people requested them.  There are also some instances in which certain elements would be incompatible with the system I designed.  For reference, I'll go ahead and list as many of the major things I can think of that I can't implement in the remake.

1. I can't make the battle system operate on a CT system like the original game.  I'm not sure if I could figure out how, and it would also wreak havoc with the enemy AI, because many actions are dependent on the definite "turns" that my custom system uses.  (For example, one enemy might attack with Cosmic Liner on every fifth turn, unless battle conditions cause another course of action to take priority over it).  If I did manage to figure out how to implement a CT system, I'd need to completely rewrite the enemy AI system, as well as alter how status ailment durations are determined, which would be very difficult.  I only know how to use a turn-based system, but at least it isn't too dissimilar from that of Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline.
2. I probably can't directly duplicate the Spell Card equipment system of the original game, in which you equip both skills and equipment to a certain number of slots.  Because the system I'm using has separate skill and equipment lists, I would need to have the game run a check on whether a character should currently possess certain skills every time equipment is changed in any way.  I'm not entirely sure how I would do this without causing slowdown.  Similarly, I can't duplicate the Weight mechanics or Use Counts for skills.
3. All characters must have exactly 100 Max HP and Max MP, including enemies (although my system has a workaround that allows bosses to effectively have more than 100 HP).  This is because in order to have six core attributes, I needed to reroute RPG Maker's default programming for HP and MP so that it influences the new attributes I added.  The game's checks for Max HP and Max MP are instead coded to always return the value 100, no matter what.  Making HP and MP variable would require removing two of the core attributes, which would make the game less like Defiant of Shrine Maiden than it is now.  (Technically, I could set Max HP and Max MP to a different permanent number than 100, but I don't see any reason to do so at the moment.)  Note that there is no limit on the number of stats that I can implement, because they are wholly dependent on the core attributes, but I want to try to keep things balanced.
4. A lot of Map Actions would be very difficult to program.  However, because you can't be forced into battles anymore, almost all of the Map Actions would now be useless, anyway.  The more useful non-enemy-related Map Actions, like Reimu and Sanae's mini-map, Marisa's Nose for Treasure, and Chen's jump, will be implemented in different ways, and will be accessible regardless of the current party.
5. It would be tricky, but possible, to implement the front row and back row, but as of now, it seems like the game would actually be better without them.  The row system really limited your effective party combinations, because so many attacks could only be used in the front row.

That's all that I can think of in terms of limitations, though.  From what I can tell, pretty much everything else should be changeable, so feel free to let me know of any suggestions or changes that aren't in the list above.

I also want to go ahead and mention a major reason why I'm initially planning on having a lot of changes and additions, instead of making a straighter remake.  This is because I have heard a LOT of complaints about the original game, and if I adhere too strictly to the original, I'll just end up duplicating its problems.  My original impression of the game was that it had a lot of really good ideas, but was hampered by cheap difficulty and poor balancing in places.  I've noticed that every English Let's Play of this game has gone on permanent hiatus relatively early on, and is full of the player talking about how infuriating the game is.  I'm also inclined to think that a lot of the game's frustrating elements may be part of the reason why barely any English speakers seem to play it, whereas Genius of Sappheiros and Devil of Decline were widely played even before they were translated.  I'm not sure if I've heard of any other English-speaker besides myself who actually played through to the end of SB mode (although I'm sure there's at least one other person somewhere); at any rate, I've found barely any English-language resources for the game.  As such, one of my main priorities is to try to address all of the biggest gripes I've heard about the game, as well as the complaints I have from my playthroughs.  Of course, I can only try to address problems that I'm aware of, so make sure to let me know of anything in the original game that you think really needs to be edited.

Oh, and I realized that I forgot to mention a few ideas in the last post, so I'll list them out below.

-In addition to using skills, all characters can use the Focus command during battle at no cost.  This command restores 30 MP to the user, and is kind of similar to the Meditate command from the original game.  Because all skills use MP now, it is important to strike a balance between using skills and Focusing.  It is also important to remember that if you burn all of your MP by using powerful skills, you may be unable to do anything but Focus on the next turn.  It's a good idea to keep some characters' MP up, so that everyone isn't Focusing at the same turn and leaving the party vulnerable.
-In the original game, there was a colosseum in EX mode, although there wasn't anything to do there except trigger plot-mandatory cutscenes.  In the remake, the colosseum will be available much earlier, as soon as you clear the events at Electric City and befriend Youmu in Main mode.  At the colosseum, you can accept a variety of repeatable battle challenges, in which you must win a predetermined series of matches against tricky combinations of enemies, and occasionally a boss.  You will be fully healed at the start of each match, and between matches, you can save your game or quit the battle challenge.  You won't gain experience or yen from colosseum opponents, although they can still drop items.  If you win every match of a battle challenge, you will be awarded a predetermined assortment of useful items.  You will also obtain one rarer prize known as the "Grand Prize."  You can repeat battle challenges you've already cleared, and you'll obtain the same prizes, but you'll only receive the Grand Prize the first time you clear a battle challenge.  Some battle challenges may have stipulations, such as limiting your party size or requiring you to use a certain character in the party.  New battle challenges are unlocked both by clearing old ones and by advancing the plot, and they are rated according to overall difficulty and the recommended level to challenge them at.  The colosseum will also be open from the beginning of EX mode onward.
-If you use item synthesis at a shop to create a new item (a skill card, piece of equipment, or whatever) out of materials, the created item will be added to the shop's stock of available merchandise, even if it normally wouldn't be sold until later in the game.  This can make it easy to get items earlier than normal, if you're willing to experiment with item synthesis.  It also means that if you've synthesized an item once, you can buy duplicates using money, instead of having to find the materials to synthesize another one (although you can still do that, if you'd like to).
-In the original game, the Scarlet Devil Mansion and Eientei referenced well-known SNES RPGs in their home bases, and especially when you challenged them.  This trend will be continued with the new factions in the remake.  The Scarlet Devil Mansion will still reference Dragon Quest III and VI, and Eientei will still reference Final Fantasy V and VI, but the four new factions (and the neutral path dungeons) will reference other SNES RPGs.  I haven't decided on which RPG will be associated with each route yet, but I have several games in mind.  Let me know if there is a particular SNES RPG that you'd love to see referenced.
-At the beginning of the game, you will start with a special key item in your inventory, which can be used as often as you like outside of battle.  When used, it allows you to alter the game's challenge by decreasing the amount of experience gained after battle (or changing it back to normal).  There are three options: default experience (returns experience gain to normal), half experience (gain half the normal experience from all battles), and no experience (gain no experience from any battles).  This can be useful for people who want to challenge lots of enemies, but don't want to get overleveled.  It can also be good for people who want to try a low-level game.
-Enemies and bosses operate on the same stat system as playable characters.  They even have experience levels and equipment.  An enemy at Lv.1 will have the same total stats as a playable character at Lv.1.  This makes it easy to ensure that enemy difficulty is effectively balanced.

I liked it better when your equipment mattered more than your level. I can't speak for everyone but it would be better to keep the spellcard system the same and take the growth system out.  The extra routes are really good. It would be better to keep the original system so, that way people can have the same experience as the original game and have some really nice extras. 

The standard card-based skill learning system should be easy enough to implement, and it will give me more items to place in treasure chests and shop inventories, too, so it would probably be the best fit, like you said.

Also, I might have given the wrong impression earlier: equipment is still really important.  It's just that leveling up will no longer be almost useless like in the original game.  From my experience, in the original game, leveling up made such a small difference that it was almost unnoticeable.  You would only start to see much improvement from leveling up if you were extremely overleveled; a single level up wouldn't do much other than boost your Max HP by a tiny bit, which equipment like Rubber Tires was much better at doing.  In EX mode in particular, it usually seemed best to just run from all normal enemies (unless you need a drop item), because the bosses seemed about equal in difficulty no matter what your level is.  Plus, the existence of Metal Suikas and the Level-Up Dungeon made it pretty pointless to ever train off of normal enemies.

For the remake, my plan was that leveling up would mainly serve to ensure that you'd need to battle at least some of a dungeon's enemies to be strong enough to handle the boss.  Players could skip almost all of the normal enemies in a dungeon (because you can no longer be forced into a battle), but the boss battle would be much harder for them unless they had a really good strategy.  Likewise, if a person was having trouble with a boss, he or she could level up once or twice to make things a bit easier.  Because of the way experience gain works, though, it is impossible to get too overleveled (because sufficiently weak enemies don't give any experience at all), and it is easy to catch up if you're underleveled.  Overall, if you battle at least 50% of the enemy groups in a dungeon, you'd probably be fine for the boss level-wise, so there would be no need for level grinding.  (Note that dungeons have fewer enemy groups than the original game had.)

Also, for what it's worth, in the final dungeon and bonus dungeons, all enemies and bosses are Lv.99 (and you'll probably be about Lv.99 at that point, too, without any level grinding necessary).  This means that you can't be overleveled for the hardest dungeons, and you need to rely on strategy and planning instead.

Equipment is what allows you to customize your characters to fit the situation.  For example, although arm equipment primarily increases DEX, there are several pieces that influence other stats as well, or have bonus effects.  You might need to choose between a piece that gives a high DEX boost, a piece that gives less DEX but gives some STR as well, and a piece that gives a small amount of DEX but improves resistance to Water attacks.  I'm going to try very hard to have a very wide variety of equipment, so that there will be plenty of options.  If there is anything in particular that you really like about the original game's equipment system, though, let me know, and I'll try to make sure that it is in the remake as well.

« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 03:31:13 AM »
Oh ok. Thank you for clearing that up.

« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 07:47:41 AM »
Variable puzzle difficulty

Oh please, please, please implement this, annoying puzzles are my biggest gripe with rpg's. I want to fight epic battles that take me 10 tries to figure out an effective strategy for, not push blocks around for a half hour.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 07:49:52 AM by blabla1994 »
I am a compulsive post editor. There is a 95% chance that any post you see from me will have gone through at least 3 edits. Often more.

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #24 on: September 20, 2012, 03:43:58 AM »
My thoughts:

1: Find a way around that max HP/MP thing.
2: I would prefer there be no level-based experience reductions. I hate those.
3: I don't like the sound of that 'battle by choice only' thing, either.
4: I don't like the idea of the 'Tolerance' system, either.

Also, I do hope you're going to get the English translation done before starting on the remake.

« Reply #25 on: September 20, 2012, 06:37:55 PM »
Oh, yes, the English translation is MUCH higher priority than the remake.  I was just tossing out ideas for a potential remake while I worked on the translation in the background, because I like to plan things way ahead of time.  All of these ideas are ones that have been floating around in my head for a while now, not anything that I've been planning out instead of working on the translation.  A lot of them are also based on aspects of the original game I'm working on, whose engine the remake would use as a base.

Basically, if I decided to make the remake, I would only start really working on it after the translation was completely finished (all the way up to the end of SB mode).  Knowing that it will probably take a really long time before I have the translation completely finished (at my current rate of progress, maybe over a year?), because my busy schedule only allows me to work on it little-by-little on certain days, I thought I would go ahead and post the majority of my ideas on the remake now, relatively early on in the translation.  That provides a long period of time for people to give feedback, and would allow me to get a better impression of two things: whether there is any demand for a remake, and whether I'd actually be capable of making a remake that people would find satisfying (in other words, whether my programming limitations would render the game too dissimilar to the original for it to really be worth the effort).

That's also why I keep referring to it as a "potential" remake: I'm still not completely sure whether it's worth making, and I'm waiting to see more opinions so that I can make an accurate judgment.  Before, I was under the impression that there were certain aspects of the game that drove people crazy and interfered with the enjoyable parts, which meant that a lot of people wouldn't be able to stomach playing too far into it even with an English translation.  However, I haven't heard much in the way of "I'm so glad that annoying bit is being altered," so I'm starting to get the impression that most people are generally pretty okay with the original game as it is.  If that's the case, I don't think the remake would really be necessary, because my primary intent with it was to fix the problems most people felt the original game had, with the additional characters and material being things I thought I might as well add on the side.  An English translation alone would be fine, in that case, along with documents designed for Spell Card translations and such if I couldn't figure out how to make an actual English patch.  In other words, the remake was intended to fix the problems most people felt the original game had, so if most people don't believe the original game has any major problems, the remake is probably unnecessary.

So, basically, from what you've heard of what the remake would be like if it were made, let me know whether you'd be interested in seeing it in addition to the translated game, or whether you'd be fine with just the original game translated.  Also, let me know if you think the remake sounds like it would be too different from the original game, and not really be all that enjoyable as a result.  Also, remember that if I don't make the remake, I can always use these ideas in a different game (either in my main project, or maybe even a totally original Touhou RPG), so don't alter your thoughts just because I had a lot of ideas for the game.  In other words, please give me open feedback, and don't worry about being too blunt or anything.

Lastly, I've been making good progress on the translation.  I'm over halfway done with the next few sections, and I just need to decide the best way to divide the material up into videos.

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #26 on: September 21, 2012, 12:39:16 AM »
I'd say use the ideas in an original Touhou RPG.

« Reply #27 on: September 24, 2012, 01:09:19 AM »
I was on youtube when I came upon this

« Reply #28 on: September 25, 2012, 02:15:48 PM »
Oh, wow.  Judging by that video, there must be some way to get a half-decent menu patch out, at least.  The translation patch used by the video seems to have been discontinued years ago, though, so it looks like I should continue looking into making a patch of my own.  (Of course, I'm focusing on translating everything before figuring out how to make a patch, because I obviously need English text to insert when the time comes.)

Oh, and new video time.

http://youtu.be/rltFUS92jSo

I've translated a lot of material that will be in subsequent videos, so hopefully the next video will be ready before too long.

GuyYouMetOnline

« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 01:15:57 AM »
If you can get everything translated, I'm sure someone here can make a patch.