Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 7)  (Read 44955 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 7)
« Reply #300 on: January 27, 2012, 06:24:29 AM »
>"Alright, with that issue settled, best get cracking on the next one. Wish me luck."
>Make for that block of offices.

>"Heh, probably gonna need it," Murasa says wryly.
>You hand the wooden box and its occupant over to Chisato and depart the Blue Maiden.

>Despite being within the same district, it's actually a decent walk to the Port Authority. The activity around you has changed little since you first arrived this afternoon - a near steady stream of workers hauling goods into and out of the city, and vendors catering to both them and visitors. Humans and youkai alike ply their trades, Oni shouldering loads as big as they are, while scattered fairies deliver messages, chant cheerful advertising slogans, or just cavort through the air.
>Soon enough you cut through a small block of industrial offices that protrudes into the harbourfront and reach the Braston Port Authority offices. Following the surprisingly helpful signage posted outside, you make your way to the entrance intended for public inquiries. Seems the best place to start.
>Stepping inside, you find yourself in a fairly small lobby decorated in tastefully boring professional grey. A pair of large potted plants provide nearly the only color in the room, though the effect manages to seem more banal than anything else, as if the space were designed wholly by formula. Across from the entrance is a long wooden counter divided into several wickets, two of which are manned at the moment. There is a short line formed in front of it, and both employees are currently speaking with people. Snatches of conversation suggest that one is asking for clarification on some engine licensing technicality, while the other is applying to renew a commercial transit permit. This is precisely as interesting as it sounds.

« Reply #301 on: January 27, 2012, 06:33:56 AM »
>Do these wickets appear to be the only information desks, per se visible?
>Does there appear to be signage directing the way to the harbormaster's office?
>Sniff for mice.
>Sweep the building with treasure/magic sense without rods.
>Is this Lousie person in evidence?

« Reply #302 on: January 27, 2012, 06:43:56 AM »
>Do these wickets appear to be the only information desks, per se visible?
>Does there appear to be signage directing the way to the harbormaster's office?
>Sniff for mice.
>Sweep the building with treasure/magic sense without rods.
>Is this Lousie person in evidence?

>There are a couple corridors near the wickets which extend out of sight, but the wickets themselves appear to house the only employees in evidence.
>Not that you can see. There are signs reminding people of the mostly-obvious fact that this queue is for public inquiries and applications, and smaller ones next the corner of the hallways listing several other offices and services found down them. There are several names, but no Louises.
>You sniff the air. It smells largely rodent-free at the moment.
>You don't detect anything of note within the building at the moment.
>You don't see her at the moment, and the only employees visible are the pair manning the wicket.

« Reply #303 on: January 27, 2012, 06:56:51 AM »
>How many people are currently in line? We don't have enough time to waste dicking around in a queue.

« Reply #304 on: January 27, 2012, 06:58:15 AM »
>How many people are currently in line? We don't have enough time to waste dicking around in a queue.

>There are three people in line, not counting the two currently being served.

« Reply #305 on: January 27, 2012, 07:11:50 AM »
>Well... Suppose 10 minutes or so won't hurt.
>Get in line.

« Reply #306 on: January 27, 2012, 07:26:28 AM »
>Well... Suppose 10 minutes or so won't hurt.
>Get in line.

>You decide you can afford to wait a little anyway. You get in line.
>One of the people at the counter finishes almost as soon as you step in, though the other one continues to drone on about technical minutia for a mind-numbingly long time. It gets hard to tell what he's even inquiring about, and after a while, even the clerk seems lost. Or perhaps they both do. There's almost certainly some misunderstanding going on, but damned if you know what it is. The other clerk processes through two more people and is on the third before the man is finally done.
>"I can help you over here," the newly freed clerk says, indicating towards you. She seems just a little frazzled.

« Reply #307 on: January 27, 2012, 07:41:33 AM »
>Approach the poor bureaucrat.
>"I'll try to keep things simpler than him."
>"Name's Nazrin, Seeker. Captain of one of the ships here in port has had one of her papers stolen, as well as the copy of that liscense on file here. I've been hired to find them."

« Reply #308 on: January 27, 2012, 07:51:34 AM »
>Approach the poor bureaucrat.
>"I'll try to keep things simpler than him."
>"Name's Nazrin, Seeker. Captain of one of the ships here in port has had one of her papers stolen, as well as the copy of that liscense on file here. I've been hired to find them."

>You walk up to the bedraggled young woman.
>She laughs a little nervously and adjusts her glasses. "That would be nice."
>"Wait," she says, frowning. "Did you say that a copy of her license was stolen from us?"

« Reply #309 on: January 27, 2012, 07:57:32 AM »
>Nod.
>"And waiting for a reliscense would ruin her cargo load. So she hired me to try and find the missing papers faster. Discussing the issue with a woman named Louise, who I understand has an important position here, wasn't getting her anywhere."

« Reply #310 on: January 27, 2012, 08:29:02 AM »
>Nod.
>"And waiting for a reliscense would ruin her cargo load. So she hired me to try and find the missing papers faster. Discussing the issue with a woman named Louise, who I understand has an important position here, wasn't getting her anywhere."

>"Louise Saint-Clair?" she asks. "She's the head of customs. If she couldn't help you, I don't think there's much I'll be able to do..."

« Reply #311 on: January 27, 2012, 08:36:05 AM »
>"I haven't spoken to Louise herself, just the captain with the problem. What I'd like to do, though, is have a look around where the document was kept. Look for clues the theif may have left behind."

« Reply #312 on: January 27, 2012, 08:37:39 AM »
>"I haven't spoken to Louise herself, just the captain with the problem. What I'd like to do, though, is have a look around where the document was kept. Look for clues the theif may have left behind."

>"I'm afraid that's off-limits to the public," she says with a sympathetic frown.

« Reply #313 on: January 27, 2012, 08:42:07 AM »
>No prizes for figuring THAT was coming.
>"You've had a theif. One that could come back. If I find out how this happened, it could help you stop it from happening again."

« Reply #314 on: January 27, 2012, 08:45:34 AM »
>No prizes for figuring THAT was coming.
>"You've had a theif. One that could come back. If I find out how this happened, it could help you stop it from happening again."

>"I hadn't heard of any break-in..." she says, looking a little uncomfortable. "But I'm sure it would have been reported to the Watch already, if that's the case."

« Reply #315 on: January 27, 2012, 08:55:06 AM »
>"Evidently, your Louise had a fairly novel approach to the situation. Something like 'if it isn't on file here, it never was.' I, on the other hand, am trying to solve the problem, before you have another theft, and another angry captain on your hands."

« Reply #316 on: January 27, 2012, 09:01:54 AM »
>"Evidently, your Louise had a fairly novel approach to the situation. Something like 'if it isn't on file here, it never was.' I, on the other hand, am trying to solve the problem, before you have another theft, and another angry captain on your hands."

>This does little to ease the woman's discomfort. "I'm very sorry ma'am, but if you want to examine our records yourself, you're... really going to have to talk to Louise."

« Reply #317 on: January 27, 2012, 09:04:51 AM »
>"I understand. If she's head of customs, it's her problem as well. Where can I find her?"

« Reply #318 on: January 27, 2012, 09:11:03 AM »
>"I understand. If she's head of customs, it's her problem as well. Where can I find her?"

>She points to one of the hallways running past the service counter.
>"Down this hall," she says, "then up the stairs on your right. Her office is the second on your left."

« Reply #319 on: January 27, 2012, 09:20:57 AM »
>Polite nod. "Thanks. Hopefully I'll have this problem fixed before the end of the day."
>Follow her directions.

« Reply #320 on: January 27, 2012, 09:32:07 AM »
>Polite nod. "Thanks. Hopefully I'll have this problem fixed before the end of the day."
>Follow her directions.

>She gives you a tentative and somewhat worried-looking smile. "I hope things work out for you."
>You follow the woman's directions and, without any issue, find yourself in front of a wooden door emblazoned with a simple brass nameplate. It reads:

>Louise Saint-Claire
>Chief Customs Administrator

« Reply #321 on: January 27, 2012, 09:34:34 AM »
>Stop short before reading that she prepared explosive ru-
>Polite knock.
>No, wait. Sweep the corridor with our extrasensory perception, sample the air, and if we don't detect anything of special interest, THEN knock.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2012, 09:42:45 AM by Sourfang, the Falling Star »

« Reply #322 on: January 27, 2012, 11:49:41 PM »
>Polite knock.
>No, wait. Sweep the corridor with our extrasensory perception, sample the air, and if we don't detect anything of special interest, THEN knock.

>None of your senses pick up anything of special interest in the corridor, so you knock politely on the door.
>"Come in," answers a poised voice from inside the office.

« Reply #323 on: January 28, 2012, 12:20:09 AM »
>Enter!

« Reply #324 on: January 28, 2012, 12:42:21 AM »
>Enter!

>You open the door and step into a spacious office with a large open window at the back overlooking the port. The decor is conservative but less staid than the lobby downstairs, and the room has a rather airy feeling; this is perhaps helped by there being a literal breeze wafting in from the window. The most prominent furnishing in the room is a large, well-organized desk near the center. Several comfortable looking chairs are arranged in front of it, and the adjacent wall is lined with several shelves of papers and documents sorted neatly by dividers.
>Seated at the desk is the same blond-haired woman that you saw Murasa arguing with earlier today. She regards you coolly as you enter, though there is something sharp to her gaze.
>"Is there something I can do for you?" she asks.

« Reply #325 on: January 28, 2012, 01:03:45 AM »
>Be on alert.
>"Actually, I'm here to do something for you. I'm Nazrin, the Seeker, here to investigate the theft of a certain document."

« Reply #326 on: January 28, 2012, 01:08:39 AM »
>Be on alert.
>"Actually, I'm here to do something for you. I'm Nazrin, the Seeker, here to investigate the theft of a certain document."

>You keep your wits about you.
>"And what document would that be?" she asks, her eyes narrowing ever so slightly.

« Reply #327 on: January 28, 2012, 01:10:44 AM »
>"The export liscence belonging to the captain of the Blue Maiden. Both her copy, and yours, appear to have gone missing. Or so I've been informed."

« Reply #328 on: January 28, 2012, 01:24:46 AM »
>"The export liscence belonging to the captain of the Blue Maiden. Both her copy, and yours, appear to have gone missing. Or so I've been informed."

>Her expression relaxes somewhat. "Ah, yes. Well, I'm afraid I can only tell you what I already told the captain in person: there's no evidence this license ever existed aside from her own word. I can't simply issue her one because she demands it. She's more than welcome to go through the proper channels like everyone else."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #329 on: January 28, 2012, 01:27:11 AM »
>"So you're saying there's no record of sale for the license, nor any entries into an accounting ledger? Nor any master list of people holding these permits?"