Author Topic: Touhou Accomplishments Mk. II  (Read 258759 times)

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
Re: Touhou Accomplishments Mk. II
« Reply #810 on: August 28, 2009, 03:21:45 PM »
Holy crap, what? I just went through VoWG Lunatic dying once and using no bombs. It's not a capture yet, but still... a few months ago I would have been amazed if I had managed that on VoWG Hard. Improvement is nice indeed. :D

Apparently VoWG requires you to watch a much larger portion of the screen so you can read the gaps :V

Wellll, that's one way of doing it. I suck at looking at large areas of the screen, though, so I find it easier to just stick to the bottom under Kanako and move through the individual amulets in a wave if you get walled by overlaps. I'm still not amazing at it, but getting the hang of it bit by bit, and it lets me end the card faster, so yeah. :V

EDIT: Also is it just me or does PCB really, really overuse those arrow bullets? I'm starting to develop a hatred of them.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 03:39:58 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #811 on: August 28, 2009, 03:53:20 PM »
ALMOST captured VoWG on Hard. Like 1/10 left and she shits a quadruple wall at my loli.

Zengar Zombolt

• Space-Time Tuning Circle - Wd/Fr
  • Green-Red Divine Clock
« Reply #812 on: August 28, 2009, 04:04:32 PM »
Captured Star Maelstrom. At long last.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #813 on: August 28, 2009, 04:44:45 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that 1ccing PCB Lunatic is much easier with Reimu A than Reimu B. :V I just tried it now, and I performed pretty terribly, dying with bombs in stock about five times, usually with two or three of them, and I still managed to reach Yuyuko. Having a bomb that actually does something is nice.
Let's fight.

« Reply #814 on: August 28, 2009, 04:45:59 PM »
VoWG Hard is a damage race between you and Kanako. Go in at 5 power, sit in the middle and move as little as possible. When the walls eventually start, she'll have hardly any health left over and you'll win easily.

Oh yeah, and you have to watch everything from Kanako down to have a decent dodge for the walls.

Edit: Just did a test. I actually screwed up and died but even with the lack of DPS, I only had to dodge 3 of *those* walls before Kanako went boom.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:03:15 PM by Arcengal »
Quote from Myosotis:
"Marriage is a game you can't win. Also, no replay value and the level design is bullshit.

Bananamatic

« Reply #815 on: August 28, 2009, 04:53:47 PM »
I've come to the conclusion that 1ccing PCB Lunatic is much easier with Reimu A than Reimu B. :V I just tried it now, and I performed pretty terribly, dying with bombs in stock about five times, usually with two or three of them, and I still managed to reach Yuyuko. Having a bomb that actually does something is nice.
Why not SakuyaA....is she too cheap? :V

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #816 on: August 28, 2009, 05:00:17 PM »
Why not SakuyaA....is she too cheap? :V

Nah, not too cheap, just I actually find it easier with Reimu most of the time. Sure, Sakuya has powerful homing and craploads of bombs, but she has a fatbox, her focus speed is too fast for me to control effectively, and her deathbomb time is much less forgiving than Reimu's so I tend to never actually use most of my bombs. In theory I could probably do better with Sakuya but in practice I usually forget to bomb until it's too late and/or crash into things. I might give it a go with her later, though, who knows, I might not mess up and manage my 1cc. :V

EDIT: Oh, and she sucks at getting borders.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:04:24 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

Drake

« Reply #817 on: August 28, 2009, 05:04:48 PM »
Ok what the hell. Just last week I was having so much trouble 1cc'ing UFO Normal. Now I go in fresh and tired and 1cc it like cake, left 3/2. Why was that so easy.

On a serious note, SakuyaA is really just the newbie's best friend. Homing shots means that you go through entire stages without much pattern recognition at all and you don't have to linger underneath the enemy. Her crap damage output means that you have to stay on some cards for longer than you should if you were playing another character, even MarisaB. Four bombs. This is four. Bombs. You can go through the entire 6 stages just bombspamming when needed and get a 1cc easily. This is why people don't like her. She can beat stuff, but it really won't prepare you for Hard or Lunatic. Her focus speed is abnormally fast. If you so much as tap during a thick pattern you will die. You can't maneuver very well at all. As in, it's pretty much impossible to use her on Lunatic without extraordinary difficulty. She also has the biggest hitbox of the three, coupled with the speed it's loldeth.

beetn

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

Bananamatic

« Reply #818 on: August 28, 2009, 05:15:31 PM »
her focus speed is too fast for me to control effectively
WAIT
You perfect EoSD Extra with MarisaA and now Sakuya is too fast? :V

Heartbeam

« Reply #819 on: August 28, 2009, 05:15:37 PM »
biggest hitbox

I don't mean to doubt you because I myself haven't looked into it beyond standard runs, but have you tested and verified this?

I agree with the use of homing shots for a 1cc attempt if you don't know a single thing about the workings of the stage, otherwise I'd take Reimu B over A.  Just like SA's Marisa B it only takes a little planning for the bomb to do wonders.  A properly timed bomb on Benevolent Orl?ans Dolls will take out two separate waves and place you in the clear to shotgun Alice for the next several seconds, more than enough to finish the spell.  I really don't think boss movements are such an issue in PCB, and Reimu A's firepower is terribly astounding.  And her bomb.  It does *something*, and that's all it does.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 05:17:29 PM by Heartbeam »

« Reply #820 on: August 28, 2009, 05:22:05 PM »

Protip:  If you want to offensively bomb with ReimuB, get under the enemy and use an unfocused bomb , and shoot her unfocused close up while doing so.  It's usually enough to end most attacks before they become a problem.

But yeah, homing is really not that good in PCB, since boss movement is always either static or controllable (based on your position).  This means that with practice the forward fire characters can do everything the homing characters can do but better.  The only things homing really helps with are stages 3 and 6, and those can be cheesed with a well-placed bomb.

Overall, the three best characters in PCB are definitely SakuyaB, ReimuB, and MarisaA.  If you're going for high level play I'd recommend picking one of them.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #821 on: August 28, 2009, 05:45:49 PM »
her focus speed is too fast for me to control effectively
WAIT
You perfect EoSD Extra with MarisaA and now Sakuya is too fast? :V

Sakuya is faster than Marisa when focused, and also PCB Lunatic has much, much denser bullet patterns than EoSD Extra. The difficulty in EoSD Extra is not so much dense walls of bullets so much as that shit flies at you really fast from different angles, like Catadioptric or QED. :V

Having said that though, I just attempted PCB Lunatic with Sakuya A, and despite wasting something like fifteen-twenty bombs since I didn't deathbomb in time, I still managed to reach Yuyuko's third spell card before getting a game over.

Hmm. Still undecided which one out of Reimu A, Reimu B or Sakuya A to keep attempting with. In all honesty usually I use none of those three and stick with Marisa A, but I don't think I'm quite good enough yet to net a Lunatic 1cc with only two bombs per life.

EDIT: I decided I may as well give it a try with Marisa A, so I did that. I lost lots of bombs to not deathbombing, I reached Yuyuko, and then I game over'd.

...Goddamnit, am I going to have to go through this with every shot type before I actually get anywhere? <_<

EDIT, again: I just tried with Sakuya B, and failed at midboss Youmu after dying with four bombs in stock four times in a row. I am not going to try this with Marisa B. <_<
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 07:03:07 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

« Reply #822 on: August 28, 2009, 07:53:14 PM »
HUZZAH! After around a bajillion restarts (more like 10) due to clip-deaths during the stage, I managed to beat Yukari without shooting! Judging from my performance (I had 3 lives left when I beat her) I could probably remain pacifist for the entire stage and do it!

Thus, I have beaten Phantasm normally about 150 times, I have restarted about 1200 times, I've beaten Yukari without dying 3 times, and I beat her without shooting once.

Maybe I should try to beat the entire stage without shooting-it's certainly possible....

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #823 on: August 28, 2009, 07:59:27 PM »
HUZZAH! After around a bajillion restarts (more like 10) due to clip-deaths during the stage, I managed to beat Yukari without shooting! Judging from my performance (I had 3 lives left when I beat her) I could probably remain pacifist for the entire stage and do it!

Thus, I have beaten Phantasm normally about 150 times, I have restarted about 1200 times, I've beaten Yukari without dying 3 times, and I beat her without shooting once.

Maybe I should try to beat the entire stage without shooting-it's certainly possible....

Congrats! That's pretty impressive. Huh, maybe I should try one at some point... they sound pretty fun. Need to get that PCB Lunatic 1cc first, though. :V
Let's fight.

Seian Verian

• Snuggledragon
  • Snuggles for everyone
« Reply #824 on: August 28, 2009, 08:23:47 PM »
...YES!!!!!!!! I just 1cc'd MoF... With four lives left! Stage 4 no deaths, captured everything of Aya's, did awesome on stage 5... Used tons of bombs against Kanako <.< >.> Still, pretty awesome. Take that Kanako! Go to hell Kanako's final spell! <.<;

Replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4575

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #825 on: August 28, 2009, 09:32:23 PM »
...YES!!!!!!!! I just 1cc'd MoF... With four lives left! Stage 4 no deaths, captured everything of Aya's, did awesome on stage 5... Used tons of bombs against Kanako <.< >.> Still, pretty awesome. Take that Kanako! Go to hell Kanako's final spell! <.<;

Replay: http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4575

Congrats!

And, finally, after much arsing around with different shot types, I managed to 1cc PCB Lunatic, HELL YEAHHH. It's not a very impressive clear, mind; I panic bombed a hell of a lot of different cards, particularly Resurrection Butterfly 80% which I am useless at, but I still finished 1/3, so I'm still pleased with it. That makes two Lunatics down, and, err... seven to go. ;_;

Those can wait, though - next on my list is capping VoWG Lunatic. :D
Let's fight.

Bananamatic

« Reply #826 on: August 28, 2009, 09:35:33 PM »
Which shot type? :V

nintendonut888

• So those that live now, pledge on your fists and souls
  • Leave a sign of your life, no matter how small...
« Reply #827 on: August 28, 2009, 09:38:32 PM »
Congrats, though due to my hatred of Sakuya A and how it takes very little skill to 1cc with her I hope you try again with another shot type someday.
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #828 on: August 28, 2009, 09:40:32 PM »

Sakuya A. ;_;

Congrats, though due to my hatred of Sakuya A and how it takes very little skill to 1cc with her I hope you try again with another shot type someday.

I probably will, to be honest... watching the replay it's pretty unimpressive. Considering how close I got with Reimu A and B, I'll probably try again with one of those. :V

Also, err, is it just me, or are the Prismrivers' first two non-cards usually their most difficult attacks? They last so long... @_@

EDIT: Okay okay I just watched most of the replay and I'm not really happy with it any more, far too much bomb spam going on. PCB Lunatic with Reimu B is back on the top of the list.
« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 09:57:03 PM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

« Reply #829 on: August 28, 2009, 10:08:21 PM »

Sakuya A. ;_;

I probably will, to be honest... watching the replay it's pretty unimpressive. Considering how close I got with Reimu A and B, I'll probably try again with one of those. :V

Also, err, is it just me, or are the Prismrivers' first two non-cards usually their most difficult attacks? They last so long... @_@

EDIT: Okay okay I just watched most of the replay and I'm not really happy with it any more, far too much bomb spam going on. PCB Lunatic with Reimu B is back on the top of the list.

Playing as Reimu-B, the only parts that I have trouble with in the Prismiver battle are the first 2 non-cards and their final spellcard. The first is dodge-able every now and then, but the 2nd one always makes me use a bomb! Same goes with their final spellcard-it's so random!

By the way, I'm willing to bet money that you could 1cc lunatic as Reimu-B if you were more aggressive with the point of collection. You could have 400 or so more point items that run- 2 more lives.
Also, before you go and try to 1cc lunatic as Reimu, watch Bjw's perfect stage 5 run and learn how to misdirect Youmu's noncards.

« Last Edit: August 28, 2009, 10:48:38 PM by BoLaD »

« Reply #830 on: August 28, 2009, 10:21:10 PM »
SA Extra, reached "Philosophy of a Hated Person"

I'm not too far from a clear. I died on her first spell because I had forgotten what to do, but for once I didn't completely suck at Super Ego and Release of the ID.

The one I had the most trouble with is Genetics of the Subcounscious. It's just so long, but at least now I kinda know how to do it
"My friends are coming for Poker tonight. We will require Koolaid."

nintendonut888

« Reply #831 on: August 28, 2009, 10:34:12 PM »
http://replays.gensokyou.org/download.php?id=4578

A replay for anyone who wants to see what lunatic Byakuren looks like. Other than me by chance capturing curvy lasers for the first time, this was pretty lackluster. It demonstrates well how hard Byakuren's second spell card becomes on lunatic though. @_@
nintendonut888: Hey Baity. I beat the high score for Sanae B hard on the score.dat you sent me. X3
Baity: For a moment, I thought you broke 1.1billion. Upon looking at my score.dat, I can assume that you destroyed the score that is my failed (first!) 1cc attempt on my first day of playing. Congratulations.

[19:42] <Sapz> I think that's the only time I've ever seen a suicide bullet shoot its own suicide bullet

Drake

« Reply #832 on: August 28, 2009, 10:40:03 PM »
Even with my lives haxed to constantly set at max, Lunatic Byakuren still scares me.

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #833 on: August 28, 2009, 11:20:21 PM »

One of the many effects of summoning a UFO during a Spell Card.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

Helix ⑨

• No Pain, No Gain
  • No Guts, No Glory
    • my youtube, 95% touhou vids, mainly extras and last words.
« Reply #834 on: August 28, 2009, 11:29:52 PM »
I did it! finally! after weeeeeeeks of practice, I finally took that bitch down.

The stage itself didn't go well at all, think I got hit somewhere and ofcourse on the death fairy. mid boss went ok 2 out of 3 captured. Did pretty good on the 2nd half of the last boss fight.

Also my first score over a billion :P

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #835 on: August 29, 2009, 12:01:35 AM »
I did it! finally! after weeeeeeeks of practice, I finally took that bitch down.

The stage itself didn't go well at all, think I got hit somewhere and ofcourse on the death fairy. mid boss went ok 2 out of 3 captured. Did pretty good on the 2nd half of the last boss fight.

Also my first score over a billion :P

Congrats on the Extra clear! And nice work on the score... I don't think I've ever actually reached a billion, hehe.

By the way, I'm willing to bet money that you could 1cc lunatic as Reimu-B if you were more aggressive with the point of collection. You could have 400 or so more point items that run- 2 more lives.
Also, before you go and try to 1cc lunatic as Reimu, watch Bjw's perfect stage 5 run and learn how to misdirect Youmu's noncards.

Yeah, I really need to get better at point collection... most of the time I don't even reach 800 points. And I'll check out that vid, but erm... too late. :P

Reimu B PCB Lunatic 1cc'd! Thank God that's over. I am much more pleased with this run than I was with the Sakuya A run, I had to work much harder. I finished at 1/0 rather than 1/3 this time but I actually died less, since I didn't hit 800 points. I managed to not die at all until Lily White, which was is the furthest I've ever gotten without dying, and I also got my first captures of the evil, evil cards that are Mortality -Demon World- and Sumizome Perfect Blossom -Bloom-. Still had to use three bombs at Resurrection Butterfly, but all things considered it's far better than my previous run. Pretty proud of this one. :D
« Last Edit: August 29, 2009, 12:03:19 AM by Sapz »
Let's fight.

nintendonut888

« Reply #836 on: August 29, 2009, 12:04:45 AM »
Holy crap I captured Satori's Double Death Butterfly. This is like the third time I've done this in over 70 playthroughs. You know, I've come to appreciate SA more ever since my computer hasn't slowed it down (Orin is a LOT easier when her micrododging isn't made harder by choppy gameplay and random speed changes), but I still hate SA stage 4 and everything it stands for.

Congrats on the Extra clear! And nice work on the score... I don't think I've ever actually reached a billion, hehe.

Wut. Even I've reached 1.5 billion, and I'm the one who scores so badly my lunatic scores are lower than a normal player's normal playthroughs.

And congrats again.

Sapz

• There's no escape.
  • It's time to burn!
« Reply #837 on: August 29, 2009, 12:14:27 AM »
Thanks, and congrats on the DDB capture. It was pretty hellish on Hard, I can't imagine the Lunatic version. Also, I just realised that after that run, the only cards I haven't capped in PCB are two Prismriver cards, two Youmu cards and Resurrection Butterfly 80%... I think capping those might be another new goal for me.

And about the scoring, firstly, I haven't done Lunatic runs of most of the games yet, and secondly I have never, ever even attempted to play for score, for some reason. So, what did you reach 1.5 billion on if you're as bad at scoring as you say you are? :V
Let's fight.

nintendonut888

« Reply #838 on: August 29, 2009, 12:20:09 AM »
The following is what I do on IN extra:

Collect point items whenever I have an opportunity (which is all the time)

Capture as many spell cards as I can.

That's it. That's all you need to do to pass a billion in extra.

As for the main game, it's not impossible to pass a billion in stage 6 alone if you capture enough spell cards.

Drake

« Reply #839 on: August 29, 2009, 12:21:32 AM »
Actually, DDBB Lunatic is easier than Hard because of the hyperwhatever effect.

Kefit get over here I can't remember the name.