Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 2): Broken History  (Read 72215 times)

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
Re: Keine Quest (Part 2): Broken History
« Reply #690 on: August 12, 2010, 09:12:39 PM »
>"If we can get this done tonight, I want to invade Eientei, that being a mansion on the surface, and fix the moon. That's the main obstacle to dealing with this problem, the overarching one. But, that requires us to find the right place, then burrowing up into the manor itself. You can see where we'd need help in several places for that."

>_

« Reply #691 on: August 12, 2010, 09:17:44 PM »
>"If we can get this done tonight, I want to invade Eientei, that being a mansion on the surface, and fix the moon. That's the main obstacle to dealing with this problem, the overarching one. But, that requires us to find the right place, then burrowing up into the manor itself. You can see where we'd need help in several places for that."

>"You want to burrow all the way from here to the surface? That's nuts! How in the world do you plan to pull that off?"
>"She doesn't know," Satori 'helpfully' adds.
>"And how does fixing the moon help with all of this, anyway?" Orin continues.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #692 on: August 12, 2010, 09:23:41 PM »
>"We're rather winging it at this point, yes. Though if anyone other than Utsuho could do it, it would be the oni, I imagine."
>"As for the moon, I need it to be properly full to properly examine and hopefully fix history."

« Reply #693 on: August 12, 2010, 09:30:36 PM »
>"We're rather winging it at this point, yes. Though if anyone other than Utsuho could do it, it would be the oni, I imagine."

>"Maybe..." Orin acknowledges. "Might have a hard time getting them to help, though. Y'see, most of them don't care what happens on the surface. Or with anyone but themselves, for that matter."

>"As for the moon, I need it to be properly full to properly examine and hopefully fix history."

>"So, you think if the moon is full, you'll be able to make everything here like you say it's supposed to be? Just like that?"

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #694 on: August 12, 2010, 09:35:40 PM »
>"Possibly. During the full moon, my abilities are strengthened significantly. And I have the ability to change history. Having the full moon around might make me powerful enough to change things back to the way they were."

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #695 on: August 12, 2010, 09:36:25 PM »
> "I guess you could say that.  The reason I need the moon is because I'm part hakutaku, and without it I can't use my powers to their full potential."

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #696 on: August 12, 2010, 09:36:36 PM »
>Nod to her oni comment. "I was afraid of that."
>"Even  I can't restore things, then it will still aid a lot of youkai who depend on it."

« Reply #697 on: August 12, 2010, 09:50:01 PM »
>"Possibly. During the full moon, my abilities are strengthened significantly. And I have the ability to change history. Having the full moon around might make me powerful enough to change things back to the way they were."
> "I guess you could say that.  The reason I need the moon is because I'm part hakutaku, and without it I can't use my powers to their full potential."

>Orin nods. "I guess that makes sense. It's just still pretty hard to take in that these last few years have been some sort of big mistake." She pauses. "Wait, I take that back. It's very easy to think of them as a big mistake. Just... not one quite like that."

>Nod to her oni comment. "I was afraid of that."

>"Yeah. We don't interact a whole lot. They gave hell a wide berth, and I was happy enough for it. 'course, they complain now because it's all so cold here, but I don't see them lift a finger to try and change that."

>"Even  I can't restore things, then it will still aid a lot of youkai who depend on it."

>"Sorry if I don't feel all that altruistic these days," Orin says. "No offense."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #698 on: August 12, 2010, 10:05:04 PM »
>"The other alternative, I suppose, would be to rescue Utsuho."
>Sigh.
>"I really do not feel confident in that. At least coming here, I had a vague semblance of a plan. Unless either of you can give me some detailed information about the shrine? I do feel...that confident in being able to talk sense into Kanako. Though, perhaps she would listen to me..."
>Mull over things.

« Reply #699 on: August 13, 2010, 02:37:23 PM »
>"The other alternative, I suppose, would be to rescue Utsuho."
>Sigh.

>You think you see Orin tense up. Satori simply continues to look at you impassively.

>"I really do not feel confident in that. At least coming here, I had a vague semblance of a plan. Unless either of you can give me some detailed information about the shrine? I do feel...that confident in being able to talk sense into Kanako. Though, perhaps she would listen to me..."

>"Sense?" Orin spits. "Damn god doesn't listen to anyone but herself. And why should she have to? No one knows better than her, anyway, right?"
>"I am not sure you can convince her that what she does is wrong," Satori continues. "I believe she honestly thinks she is doing what is best and what is necessary. It is difficult to convince someone in her position otherwise. But you know things that she cannot. Perhaps that could help you?"
>"Okuu's not at the shrine, anyway," Orin says, sounding a little less irritated. "Least I don't think so. Kinda hard to keep her out of sight there. The kappa and everyone've got this big factory place built inside the mountain. They've gotta be keeping her in there, somewhere. At least as far as I figure."

>Mull over things.

>It seems you have a few options before you, here. Utsuho seems like the easiest way to tunnel to the surface, if she were here, but rescuing her might be as hard or harder than reaching Eientei in the first place. The oni are another possibility to reaching Eientei, but convincing them to be concerned about surface affairs might be even more difficult. And you have a finite number of hours before you'd need to wait an entire extra month for this. Although history isn't going anywhere... And perhaps there are even other options you haven't considered yet?
>"I'd be a little sad if it were done for nothing more than pragmatic reasons," Satori comments, "but I cannot fault your hesitation. I am not sure even you would be able."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #700 on: August 13, 2010, 03:57:15 PM »
>Briefly contemplate if we could negotiate a one night release. Discard this as stabbing these poor people in the back for the sack of pragmatism.
>Pick up the idea again as a kind of trial run...

« Reply #701 on: August 13, 2010, 04:02:01 PM »
>Briefly contemplate if we could negotiate a one night release. Discard this as stabbing these poor people in the back for the sack of pragmatism.
>Pick up the idea again as a kind of trial run...

>Satori frowns at you; not disapprovingly exactly, but... Oh, man...
>"Well, it might be an angle to work with," Satori says. "I don't know how much Kanako trusts you, but Sanae seemed to. I've never spoken with her; only Orin has. But... any attempt at all would be.... an act of immense kindness."
>"If there's anything at all I can do..." Orin says.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #702 on: August 13, 2010, 04:19:15 PM »
>To Orin, "I...might have an idea, that may work toward something. I might try to negotiate a temporary release. The point being to show Utsuho can indeed behave herself. This said, the greater problem would be that Kanako would certainly like to keep power flowing through Youkai Mountain, so we would have to address this issue, too. But that, we can put off until after tonight's main problem has been solved. Orin, if you were to assist with this, I would think your role would be to make certain Utsuho doesn't try to escape. I can immediately see the temptation to let her get away, but life as a fugitive would only bring more hardship for everyone."
>"It's not much, but it's all that I can propose, outside of gathering as many allies as we can and trying directly to bust her out. Which would lead to all of the difficulties that I just mentioned with her escaping."

« Reply #703 on: August 13, 2010, 04:27:59 PM »
>To Orin, "I...might have an idea, that may work toward something. I might try to negotiate a temporary release. The point being to show Utsuho can indeed behave herself. This said, the greater problem would be that Kanako would certainly like to keep power flowing through Youkai Mountain, so we would have to address this issue, too. But that, we can put off until after tonight's main problem has been solved. Orin, if you were to assist with this, I would think your role would be to make certain Utsuho doesn't try to escape. I can immediately see the temptation to let her get away, but life as a fugitive would only bring more hardship for everyone."

>"I won't let her go back there," Orin says flatly, and turns away from you.
>"It may be the best we can hope for," Satori says. "If you try to help her escape... I don't want to lose you, too."

>"It's not much, but it's all that I can propose, outside of gathering as many allies as we can and trying directly to bust her out. Which would lead to all of the difficulties that I just mentioned with her escaping."

>"Can't say she doesn't have it coming after what she did," Orin says.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #704 on: August 13, 2010, 04:44:55 PM »
>"If you can't help, I suppose there's nothing I can do. I really don't think we'll be up for breaking out Utsuho and then restoring the moon, even if we do get all the assistance from Scarlet Devil Manor I am hoping to get."

« Reply #705 on: August 13, 2010, 04:50:45 PM »
>"If you can't help, I suppose there's nothing I can do. I really don't think we'll be up for breaking out Utsuho and then restoring the moon, even if we do get all the assistance from Scarlet Devil Manor I am hoping to get."

>Orin doesn't reply. Satori looks at her for a few moments.
>"Please try to understand where she's coming from," Satori says, at length. "And I understand where you're coming from as well. This isn't your issue. It was very kind of you to offer to speak on our behalf. Attempting to force her out of there is... more than anyone could reasonably expect." She looks back at Orin, pointedly.
>"Can't say I much want to go toe-to-toe with a god tonight, either," Mokou adds.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #706 on: August 13, 2010, 05:25:19 PM »
>Nod to Mokou.
>"I wish I could come up with a better way, really. But time is such an issue..."

« Reply #707 on: August 13, 2010, 05:50:51 PM »
>Nod to Mokou.
>"I wish I could come up with a better way, really. But time is such an issue..."

>"Yes, I understand that it is," Satori replies. "I won't keep you any longer, then."
>"If you can't get the moon or whatever fixed before the night's up," Orin asks, "what then? Wait around another month?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #708 on: August 13, 2010, 06:01:01 PM »
>"Essentially. I'll try to pursue other avenues, but...this is the most likely solution. And even if it isn't, it's still something that needs to be done."

« Reply #709 on: August 13, 2010, 06:05:06 PM »
>"Essentially. I'll try to pursue other avenues, but...this is the most likely solution. And even if it isn't, it's still something that needs to be done."

>"Fine," Orin says. "And, uh... good luck, I guess. Sorry again."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #710 on: August 13, 2010, 06:23:55 PM »
>"Fine," Orin says. "And, uh... good luck, I guess. Sorry again."

>Nod.
>Disappointment that she doesn't want to help toward a solution.
>"Helping us around the city would be an excellent way to make up for that."

« Reply #711 on: August 13, 2010, 06:27:31 PM »
>Nod.
>Disappointment that she doesn't want to help toward a solution.
>"Helping us around the city would be an excellent way to make up for that."

>"I, well...." Orin looks back at Satori, who slowly nods at her. "I.... guess I could. I'm not sure what good I can do with your problem, though."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #712 on: August 13, 2010, 06:40:06 PM »
>"Well, you've already stated what you won't do. But what you can do is help us find someone who knows the caves very well, and can help us find the nearest point between Eientei and the Underground."

« Reply #713 on: August 13, 2010, 06:44:26 PM »
>"Well, you've already stated what you won't do. But what you can do is help us find someone who knows the caves very well, and can help us find the nearest point between Eientei and the Underground."

>"Well, Yuugi and Suika are the bigshots around town. If they don't know, they probably know someone who does. I can show you where to find them, anyway."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #714 on: August 13, 2010, 07:00:09 PM »
>"Tell me about them while you show us out? I know Suika decently well from my world, but I imagine things are very different here."

« Reply #715 on: August 13, 2010, 07:03:47 PM »
>"Eh, don't know them too well, really, but I can tell you a few things. C'mon." Orin gestures with her hand, and turns to walk out of the room.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #716 on: August 13, 2010, 07:14:07 PM »
>Follow!
>"Thank you for sorting everything out for us, Satori."

« Reply #717 on: August 13, 2010, 07:31:47 PM »
>Follow!

>You turn to follow Orin out, Mokou and Rumia falling in behind you.

>"Thank you for sorting everything out for us, Satori."

>She nods. "Good luck to you."

>Orin leads you back into the large hallway and continues in the direction you were originally headed.
>"So, what'd you want to know about 'em?" she asks.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #718 on: August 13, 2010, 07:50:28 PM »
>"I know they were both Devas of the Mountain, and that's about it as far as I feel is reliable. Tell me what they are like, as far as you know?"

« Reply #719 on: August 13, 2010, 08:11:47 PM »
>"I know they were both Devas of the Mountain, and that's about it as far as I feel is reliable. Tell me what they are like, as far as you know?"

>"Ok, well, I wouldn't really say they run the place down here; oni aren't really that formal about it. But they have a lot of influence. Yuugi probably moreso, but that might just be because she's louder about it. I think they're kinda friends, or at least what passes for friendship among some oni, but they don't always see eye to eye on stuff."
>"They're almost opposites of each other, really. Yuugi's big; looks like a bruiser, even for an oni. She's simple, blunt, loves a good fight. Not really a bad person, but you wouldn't want to piss her off. She's an oni's oni, really. Suika... well, she's a little odd. Tiny, scrawny looking thing. Doesn't get into fights much, although rumor is that she's even stronger than Yuugi. Might be why the other oni seem to respect her, even if she doesn't throw her weight around. Loves a good party even by oni standards. Probably what she spends most of her time doing, actually."