Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 2): Broken History  (Read 72037 times)

Re: Keine Quest (Part 2): Broken History
« Reply #660 on: August 12, 2010, 04:28:06 PM »
>Proceed.

>You continue through the exit in front of you, and find yourself in a long vaulted hallway, with only the occasional sconce along the wall. Their flickering light gives a rather strange quality to the dimness of the place, with alternating pools of light and shadow. It's a little eerie, actually. The floors here are stone, although a small carpet runs along the center of the floor; it looks a bit dusty. You pass by a few dark wooden doors, and then a larger archway leading into a gallery to your left.

>"Hmm... well that's rather unusual," comes a soft-spoken, but dreary voice from the room to your left as you approach it

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #661 on: August 12, 2010, 04:45:03 PM »
>Glance toward the dreary voice.
>Try not to think about how we're moderately sure who this is. Before recognizing the futility of it.

« Reply #662 on: August 12, 2010, 04:54:02 PM »
>Glance toward the dreary voice.
>Try not to think about how we're moderately sure who this is. Before recognizing the futility of it.

>You pause and look towards the room, but don't see anyone from this vantage point. It's a large room, but rather barren of furnishings. There are a few upholstered chairs, and some portraits hung on the wall in thick frames. You see a tall bookcase against one wall. But the contents seem dwarfed by the room itself, which gives it a rather cavernous feel.

>Try as you might, it's impossible to suppress the glimmer of intuition the voice triggers.
>"And even more unusual," she continues. "How do you know who I am?"
>You can practically feel Orin's eyes burning into the back of your head. "She's with Kanako," she spits. "They were trying to-"
>"No," Satori interrupts. "I don't believe she is."
>"What?" Orin says.  "But she-"
>"Please step inside, if you would."

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #663 on: August 12, 2010, 05:07:19 PM »
> Step into the room.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #664 on: August 12, 2010, 05:21:42 PM »
> Step into the room.

>You step into the room, leaving Orin gaping in the hallway. You see a small purple-haired woman sitting in an upholstered chair around a seating area to your left. Presumably this is Satori.
>"It is," she says. "And have a seat. We don't get many guests, and we've never had a guest come in that way, before. Yes, yes, I understand why, although you really should have thought your plan through better. ....that's an interesting idea."
>She turns to Mokou. "That was rather unnecessary."
>Mokou sputters. "Wh- what the hell are you talking about?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #665 on: August 12, 2010, 05:35:26 PM »
>"She's reading your thoughts, Mokou. I don't think she can help it."
>"Miss Satori, I'm not sure how much you see, but I hope what I've been doing, and why, makes sense to you."

« Reply #666 on: August 12, 2010, 05:49:39 PM »
>"She's reading your thoughts, Mokou. I don't think she can help it."

>"She's- what!? Of all the-"
>"I can't," Satori interjects. "And whether you think I'm being rude or not is irrelevant. You can always leave."
>"I might!" Mokou snaps back.

>"Miss Satori, I'm not sure how much you see, but I hope what I've been doing, and why, makes sense to you."

>"A little. I can't read everything you know, only what you're thinking about at the moment."
>She turns to back Mokou "Yes, small comfort, isn't it? 'I'll just have to make sure I don't think about stuff like that, right? Or that." One side of her mouth curls into a smirk. It's actually a bit of an unnerving expression coming from her. Mokou, on the other hand, can't seem to decide whether she should be just plain pissed off or extremely embarrassed. It's actually kind of cute. Satori glances back at you, and then at Mokou again. "She really loves you, you know. Whether you believe her or not."
>Now Mokou is just kind of staring open-mouthed, looking totally unsure of the proper reaction to this. You can't entirely blame her.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #667 on: August 12, 2010, 05:58:36 PM »
>"It's alright if you want to leave, Mokou, but really, I think you have the least to be embarrassed about of anyone here."
>"I'll try not to overwhelm you with all of this at once, Satori, but it's kind of a jumble."
>Think over the whole sordid affair we've been through the past day and a half or so.

« Reply #668 on: August 12, 2010, 06:17:43 PM »
>"It's alright if you want to leave, Mokou, but really, I think you have the least to be embarrassed about of anyone here."
>"I'll try not to overwhelm you with all of this at once, Satori, but it's kind of a jumble."
>Think over the whole sordid affair we've been through the past day and a half or so.

>Mokou looks at you a little oddly, then folds her arms and looks away from Satori. "I'm ok," she says, a bit gruffly.

>"Very well," she replies.
>Satori nods slowly at you while you try to recount recent events in your mind. You honestly wonder how well she can pick up the details from all of this; it feels like your own thoughts are a bit of a mess at the moment, and you can't keep your mind from jumping back and forth to related, but irrelevant things, like ancient Chinese history, and wondering what Mokou must be thinking right now.
>"I could tell you if you want," Satori pipes up, but you keep concentrating on the actual important facts of your story. That can wait until you're out of mind-reading range; there are some things that don't bear thinking on right now...
>"Oh, don't worry on my account," she says, with precisely the opposite effect of reassuring you. "I've seen it all before, I assure you."
>Eventually, you think you've covered most of what was important. And probably far too much that wasn't.
>"I can't say I've ever heard anything quite like that," Satori says, at length. "At least, for once, someone won't suspect you of lying about it all."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #669 on: August 12, 2010, 06:30:42 PM »
>Nod. "Thank you. In turn, could you perhaps tell me what has happened here? I presume, well, Utsuho is gone, at the least."

« Reply #670 on: August 12, 2010, 06:39:19 PM »
>Nod. "Thank you. In turn, could you perhaps tell me what has happened here? I presume, well, Utsuho is gone, at the least."

>"Yes, that would be correct. Nothing down here's been the same without her. And yes, that's why hell's gone cold. Although with everything else down here. But, no, she's still alive, and certain to remain that way for as long as Kanako can help it. Much rests on her, after all."
>"You don't have to stand in the hallway, Orin," Satori calls out. "They don't mean us any harm. ...and yes, she has a surprisingly good reason why she knew about that."
>Orin slowly walks in through the doorway, looking just a little sheepish, and avoiding looking at you. She doesn't say anything.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #671 on: August 12, 2010, 06:44:38 PM »
>Let some blocks fall into place, hope for a tetris.
>"Allow me to guess, Kanako is using her as an energy source to provide power for the mountain?"

« Reply #672 on: August 12, 2010, 06:47:25 PM »
>Let some blocks fall into place, hope for a tetris.
>"Allow me to guess, Kanako is using her as an energy source to provide power for the mountain?"

>"Very good deduction," Satori says. "Although it isn't quite as benign as you seem to remember it."
>"They've got her locked up in there!" Orin cries. "They wouldn't even let me see her!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #673 on: August 12, 2010, 06:59:27 PM »
>Sigh.
>"She's probably the only one who can cut through a much rock as we're likely going to need to get through, isn't she?"

« Reply #674 on: August 12, 2010, 07:03:14 PM »
>Sigh.
>"She's probably the only one who can cut through a much rock as we're likely going to need to get through, isn't she?"

>"Rock?" says Orin. "What are you-"
>"Perhaps not," Satori interrupts. "The oni may be able to help, somehow. If they care to. But Utsuho is obviously capable of what you need, as you've seen."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #675 on: August 12, 2010, 07:18:43 PM »
>"So what do you know about her predicament, exactly? Just that she's been captured?"

« Reply #676 on: August 12, 2010, 07:25:13 PM »
>"So what do you know about her predicament, exactly? Just that she's been captured?"

>"She is bound somewhere inside Youkai Mountain itself," Satori says.
>"I tried to talk to Kanako," Orin begins. "I begged her to let Okuu come home, but she just said she's 'too dangerous to ever be allowed to leave'. Well, who made her that way!? Whose fault is that!?"
>"Orin...." Satori says, surprisingly soft and warm compared to her earlier tone of voice.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #677 on: August 12, 2010, 07:37:12 PM »
>Say nothing, but chances are there's no way the differences between here and our time wouldn't be considered.

« Reply #678 on: August 12, 2010, 07:41:25 PM »
>Say nothing, but chances are there's no way the differences between here and our time wouldn't be considered.

>Satori looks at you and gives a mournful smile. "That world of your sounds like a happier place. I truly do miss her..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #679 on: August 12, 2010, 07:51:27 PM »
>Sigh.
>"I don't suppose there is a moderately quick way from here to there, is there?"

« Reply #680 on: August 12, 2010, 08:09:23 PM »
>Sigh.
>"I don't suppose there is a moderately quick way from here to there, is there?"

>"The quickest is probably the way you came, I'm afraid," Satori replies.

Blitzer

• 「Touhoustuck」
« Reply #681 on: August 12, 2010, 08:17:54 PM »
>Consider the possibility this is all a Moriya Shrine conspiracy like the other time when Kanako created Gensokyo Isle

>EDIT: "Is the second longest way any more dangerous than the way I came?"
« Last Edit: August 12, 2010, 08:21:21 PM by Romanoff Kaiser NEX Blitzer »

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #682 on: August 12, 2010, 08:20:35 PM »
>"Oh well. Hopefully the second longest isn't bad."
>Ponder what time it is. And also if the next day of the full moon is still usable for us, or if its just once a month.

« Reply #683 on: August 12, 2010, 08:28:26 PM »
>Consider the possibility this is all a Moriya Shrine conspiracy like the other time when Kanako created Gensokyo Isle

>You ponder Kanako's possible involvement in all the things that have changed. You're not sure how she could have, but you still don't really have any good clues as to why things changed like they did. And she does seem to have benefited the most of anyone from all that's changed. Actually, could she be one of the only one's that's benefited?
>"I'm afraid I wouldn't know," Satori adds. "I'm not aware of anything relating to that experience of yours."

>"Oh well. Hopefully the second longest isn't bad."

>"You can exit through the city. It's likely the oni will be less dangerous than the spirits were. Although the return trip might not be so unpleasant if you had a guide. If that is indeed what you intend to do."

>Ponder what time it is. And also if the next day of the full moon is still usable for us, or if its just once a month.

>It works unfortunately only once a month. You're uncertain what time it is, now. All that wandering in the dark with no frame of reference makes it easy to lose track.
>"It should be nearly midnight, I think," Satori responds.

>"I don't suppose someone can explain what's going on?" Orin finally asks.

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #684 on: August 12, 2010, 08:37:35 PM »
> Turn to Satori.
> "Is it okay if I tell her what I told you?"
> If so, explain how we ended up in this world and what our world is like.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #685 on: August 12, 2010, 08:49:31 PM »
> Turn to Satori.
> "Is it okay if I tell her what I told you?"
> If so, explain how we ended up in this world and what our world is like.

>"That is your decision, of course," Satori replies.
>You start to explain the gist of your situation, and a few of the important ways that it differs from life here: namely that the Hell of Blazing Fires is still blazing and on fire, that Utsuho is not imprisoned, and is in fact peacefully co-existing with the outside world. Orin looks at you wide-eyed as you speak, and then looks over towards Satori, who nods at her.
>"That's.... that's..." she looks conflicted. "Look, I'm sorry, ok? I wish that things were like that, here..."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #686 on: August 12, 2010, 08:50:59 PM »
>"You see why I was so hesitant to say anything, at first, I hope. Sorry for misleading you, and hurting your feelings."
>"A question, Orin. How well do you know the city, and the tunnels outside it?"

« Reply #687 on: August 12, 2010, 08:54:21 PM »
>"You see why I was so hesitant to say anything, at first, I hope. Sorry for misleading you, and hurting your feelings."
>"A question, Orin. How well do you know the city, and the tunnels outside it?"

>"It's... It's ok. I'll just never forgive Kanako for all this, is all. If she wasn't a damn god, I'd... well, y'know."
>"Oh, I know the city well enough. Don't really go out beyond it, though. Why d'ya ask?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #688 on: August 12, 2010, 09:06:32 PM »
>"One of the things I'm going to need, especially, is a guide. Both around the city and out in the wilds. If you'd be so kind as to aid us around the city, I would be very appreciative."

« Reply #689 on: August 12, 2010, 09:08:00 PM »
>"One of the things I'm going to need, especially, is a guide. Both around the city and out in the wilds. If you'd be so kind as to aid us around the city, I would be very appreciative."

>She considers this. "What're you planning to do, anyway?"