Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 2): Broken History  (Read 72000 times)

Re: Keine Quest (Part 2): Broken History
« Reply #630 on: August 12, 2010, 03:44:28 AM »
>"That we needed to reach the city as soon as possible, and this is the only way down any of us know."

>"You thought... you tried going through hell just so that you could get to the Ancient City? That's.... I don't even know what to say to that. It's... original., anyway. What kind of person tries to get into hell?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #631 on: August 12, 2010, 03:47:15 AM »
>"When it's the only way down you know, options become limited.  I hope we haven't damaged your door too much?"

« Reply #632 on: August 12, 2010, 03:49:09 AM »
>"When it's the only way down you know, options become limited.  I hope we haven't damaged your door too much?"

>Orin looks at the door and sighs. "Probably not. That thing's built to keep anything from breaking out of there, after all. But I felt someone beating on it, so I came to check it out. They... don't really listen like they used to."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #633 on: August 12, 2010, 03:54:22 AM »
>"I see. You used to command them, I assume? What happened?"

« Reply #634 on: August 12, 2010, 03:58:20 AM »
>"I see. You used to command them, I assume? What happened?"

>"I wouldn't go as far as to say command, really... But they tended to mostly co-operate. You could get them to do stuff, or stop doing stuff. Always a few that would act up. But, well... Hell's not what it used to be, as I'm sure you noticed. And neither are they. I'm really not sure what to do about them as things are. Don't go out there much anymore."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #635 on: August 12, 2010, 04:05:54 AM »
>Nod.
>"I assume it would be after..."
>Stop. Sensitive subject. Stupid Keine!

« Reply #636 on: August 12, 2010, 04:09:30 AM »
>Nod.
>"I assume it would be after..."

>"After...?" Orin looks at you expectantly.

>Stop. Sensitive subject. Stupid Keine!

>Confound your instinctive curiosity! Might be too late now, though.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #637 on: August 12, 2010, 04:32:14 AM »
>Sigh.
>"After the Hell Raven went on her rampage."
>Feign ignorance!

« Reply #638 on: August 12, 2010, 04:40:14 AM »
>Sigh.
>"After the Hell Raven went on her rampage."
>Feign ignorance!

>She looks at you darkly as you say this. "Rampage... Yes, I suppose you could call it that. While it lasted."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #639 on: August 12, 2010, 04:50:26 AM »
>"That is what it seemed to us, at least. I apologize, I've clearly made a mistake."

« Reply #640 on: August 12, 2010, 04:57:49 AM »
>"That is what it seemed to us, at least. I apologize, I've clearly made a mistake."

>Orin stares at you for another moment, and then sighs. "No, you're right, really. And you have no idea how much I wish it had never happened."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #641 on: August 12, 2010, 05:08:18 AM »
>"I can't imagine anyone who would have wished it to happen. I don't suppose you could tell us the real story? Or...is that something too tender?"

« Reply #642 on: August 12, 2010, 05:10:47 AM »
>"I can't imagine anyone who would have wished it to happen. I don't suppose you could tell us the real story? Or...is that something too tender?"

>"Heh. You honestly don't know, do ya? Then again, anyone who tries to walk into here through hell can't be too clued in. How do they tell it on the surface? I'm curious."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #643 on: August 12, 2010, 05:17:42 AM »
>"Not much to tell, I'm afraid. She exploded up from underground, and started trying to set everything ablaze. The Wind Priestess stopped her. To be honest, I don't even know how the battle went, save that Sanae walked away."

« Reply #644 on: August 12, 2010, 05:45:28 AM »
>"Not much to tell, I'm afraid. She exploded up from underground, and started trying to set everything ablaze. The Wind Priestess stopped her. To be honest, I don't even know how the battle went, save that Sanae walked away."

>Orin laughs a little; a bitter, humorless chuckle. "Oh, Sanae alone could never have stopped her. The almighty Kanako had to come down off her perch and face her in person. It must have been so inconvenient for her. I wonder how they wrote the conclusion?" She adopts a melodramatic voice. "And the mighty heaven god valiantly destroys the demonic hell raven, whose only thought and purpose was death and destruction. See as even the greatest beasts of hell are made to bow before her. Such is the sanctity of her power. Bask in her glory, and bow to her rule." She stops and gives you an sidelong glance, and a smirk that you can't help but doubt is sincere. "Something like that?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #645 on: August 12, 2010, 06:02:47 AM »
>Was Kanako involved in the version we heard?
>"Personally,  I am much more interested in the real story."

« Reply #646 on: August 12, 2010, 06:22:23 AM »
>Was Kanako involved in the version we heard?

>Sanae never really explained the incident to you in any detail.

>"Personally,  I am much more interested in the real story."

>Orin sighs again. "Fine, fine. It's mostly the same, really. Okuu burned some stuff, and Kanako beat her down for it. But you have to believe me when I say that Okuu wasn't as bad as people say she was. Honest. She just... I think the power might have gone to her head, or something. But she didn't deserve this!"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #647 on: August 12, 2010, 06:29:23 AM »
>"I'd be willing to believe you, actually. If she were that bad, Kanako wouldn't have trusted her to begin with. I expect she just had problems handling it. I've no need to condemn her."
>It's awkward talking about someone who may or may not be dead.

« Reply #648 on: August 12, 2010, 06:36:40 AM »
>"I'd be willing to believe you, actually. If she were that bad, Kanako wouldn't have trusted her to begin with. I expect she just had problems handling it. I've no need to condemn her."

>Orin's eyes narrow. "Wait a minute? What's this about 'trusting her in the first place'? How come you know that if you say you don't know half the rest of it?"

>It's awkward talking about someone who may or may not be dead.

>It really is, isn't it? And probably not the only awkward thing at the moment, either...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #649 on: August 12, 2010, 06:39:55 AM »
>"Because it's easy to deduce. Whatever mistakes she made, Kanako's not an idiot. She wouldn't just give that away to someone blatantly unsuitable. She had to have trusted her to begin with."

« Reply #650 on: August 12, 2010, 06:41:44 AM »
>"Because it's easy to deduce. Whatever mistakes she made, Kanako's not an idiot. She wouldn't just give that away to someone blatantly unsuitable. She had to have trusted her to begin with."

>"And that's exactly what I mean," she says, still looking at you suspiciously, and with a hint of anger. "How do you know she gave her anything?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #651 on: August 12, 2010, 06:45:04 AM »
>"Because it would be much too much of a coincidence, otherwise. Kanako appears, then suddenly a hell raven from nowhere? The way you speak of her confirmed it."

« Reply #652 on: August 12, 2010, 06:52:07 AM »
>"Because it would be much too much of a coincidence, otherwise. Kanako appears, then suddenly a hell raven from nowhere? The way you speak of her confirmed it."

>"I'm not buying it," Orin says, glaring at you. "Utsuho lived here long before Kanako ever showed up. The fact that she left for the surface when she did doesn't mean a thing. How's anyone up there supposed to know what's down here or how long it's been down here, anyway? No one knows, because no one comes down here, that's what." Her eyes narrow. "What else does Kanako want from us?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #653 on: August 12, 2010, 07:00:08 AM »
>"I'm not affiliated with Kanako. If I were, would I be so willing to say she was wrong in what she did? Is it that  hard to accept that there are people above who have put things together, and don't demonize Utsuho? And if it is as you said, and she was down here for a long time, doesn't that only support what I just said about it being too much a coincidence? It's obvious she didn't just come from nowhere, anyone who thought about it would be able to deduce this. Please, I'm on your side."

« Reply #654 on: August 12, 2010, 07:14:10 AM »
>"I'm not affiliated with Kanako. If I were, would I be so willing to say she was wrong in what she did? Is it that  hard to accept that there are people above who have put things together, and don't demonize Utsuho? And if it is as you said, and she was down here for a long time, doesn't that only support what I just said about it being too much a coincidence? It's obvious she didn't just come from nowhere, anyone who thought about it would be able to deduce this. Please, I'm on your side."

>"I don't believe you," Orin says flatly. "No one up there has any reason to suspect anything. Something broke out of hell, and then it was stopped. That's it. Why in the world would they think her power came from Kanako? Hell's a scary place, right? Who knows what's down here. She never told anyone else about what she gave Utsuho; that much I'm certain of. After what happened, she certainly wasn't not about to be honest about the fact that she made her what she is. That it was all her fault. I wish to hell that she'd never, ever come near us." There is a deep bitterness in her voice.

>"So, again, why are you here? Tell me why I shouldn't just have left you out there to die."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #655 on: August 12, 2010, 07:34:29 AM »
>"If you think so poorly of me that you can't believe I could be sympathetic, I suppose there is nothing I can say to convince you otherwise."
>"As for why we are here, we were seeking the city down here. We're trying to restore the moon to its proper place. Unfortunately, the people who have altered it cannot be approached from the surface, so we are hoping to approach from below. And for that, we need to learn from those who live here."

« Reply #656 on: August 12, 2010, 03:05:26 PM »
>"If you think so poorly of me that you can't believe I could be sympathetic, I suppose there is nothing I can say to convince you otherwise."

>"I don't think anything of you. I've never seen you before in my life. But unless you can give me a good reason why you know that Kanako gave Utsuho that power - and no, 'I just figured it out' doesn't cut it - then I'm gonna have to assume you're with Kanako, and that means you're not welcome here."
>"Suit yourself," Mokou says, with a bit of an exaggerated sign.
>"Who's Kanako?" Rumia asks. "Is she a meanie?" Orin gives her a funny look.

>"As for why we are here, we were seeking the city down here. We're trying to restore the moon to its proper place. Unfortunately, the people who have altered it cannot be approached from the surface, so we are hoping to approach from below. And for that, we need to learn from those who live here."

>"Well, if you want to get to the city, the door's that way," she inclines her head towards the stairs; the only exit you can see from the room you're in. "Hurry up and use it."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #657 on: August 12, 2010, 03:51:17 PM »
>"Very well, I won't trouble you anymore. I am sorry that I aroused your suspicions."
>Exit!

« Reply #658 on: August 12, 2010, 04:06:09 PM »
>"Very well, I won't trouble you anymore. I am sorry that I aroused your suspicions."
>Exit!

>Orin does not respond to you, so you turn and walk up the stairs. Mokou and Rumia fall in behind you, and you think you hear Orin follow you at a further distance. It is probably the longest staircase you've seen in your life, featureless and grey. Eventually you reach another landing similar to the one at the bottom, except smaller and with a more normal sized door. You open it and emerge into a small courtyard.

>The entire place has something of a dreary feel, and the grounds could probably use a bit of maintenance, but it still has a certain rustic charm, just the same. There are a few clusters of ornamental trees, and a small trickling water feature, although still very little color. Looking up, you can see the cavern ceiling far in the distance. The building itself is a single story affair, also made of grey stone, although with a few more ornamental touches than the passage you just came through, giving it an air of rather subdued gothic architecture. Detailed stained glass windows line the wall to the south, giving some much needed color to the place.
>You see an exit to the north and east, and the west where you just came from.
>"Just keep going straight," Orin says.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #659 on: August 12, 2010, 04:16:06 PM »
>Proceed.