Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 2): Broken History  (Read 71994 times)

Re: Keine Quest (Part 2): Broken History
« Reply #270 on: August 07, 2010, 11:58:08 PM »
>"Stop."
>Once she does, examine the line. Is it broken at all within sight?

>Mokou stops
>It doesn't appear to be

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #271 on: August 08, 2010, 12:19:59 AM »
"Alright. We're going to back up. I'll guide you just as you did me, Mokou. You're job is to tell me if things change again. And I'll see how far we can go until the line vanishes. Ready? Try to keep pace with Mokou, Rumia."
>Proceed when ready.

« Reply #272 on: August 08, 2010, 12:29:30 AM »
"Alright. We're going to back up. I'll guide you just as you did me, Mokou. You're job is to tell me if things change again. And I'll see how far we can go until the line vanishes. Ready? Try to keep pace with Mokou, Rumia."
>Proceed when ready.

>"Ok, got it," says Mokou.
>"Sure!" Rumia chimes in.
>You slowly retrace your steps along the marked lined, rather grateful not to have to be digging it any more at the moment. From your starting position, the line goes out of sight about two dozen feet back, behind some trees. You follow it all the way there, and discover that the line is still intact, once you swing around those trees so that you can see it again. However, looking about another dozen or so feet past that, the trail abruptly disappears.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #273 on: August 08, 2010, 12:58:10 AM »
>"About a dozen yards or so. Further than I expected."
>Follow it to the end. "See anything, Mokou?"

« Reply #274 on: August 08, 2010, 01:03:38 AM »
>"About a dozen yards or so. Further than I expected."
>Follow it to the end. "See anything, Mokou?"

>You follow the trail back to the point at which it terminates
>"Nothing I wouldn't expect to see, anyway," she replies.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #275 on: August 08, 2010, 01:16:10 AM »
>"Alright. One last thing, turn around and tell me how different the stuff ahead looks."

« Reply #276 on: August 08, 2010, 01:25:14 AM »
>"Alright. One last thing, turn around and tell me how different the stuff ahead looks."

>She turns around. "Different than what? Different than what I remember walking forward through?"
>She scans around a little. "Nothing too distinct here. Couldn't tell you where we are, exactly."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #277 on: August 08, 2010, 01:33:34 AM »
>"Alright. I think I've seen enough."
>Now that we have some experience with this phenomena, does it feel like we'd have a better chance devouring its history and removing it for a short while?

« Reply #278 on: August 08, 2010, 01:36:38 AM »
>"Alright. I think I've seen enough."

>"It's a bitch, ain't it?"

>Now that we have some experience with this phenomena, does it feel like we'd have a better chance devouring its history and removing it for a short while?

>It might have helped. You're not sure. But you won't really know how well you can do it until you try.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #279 on: August 08, 2010, 01:47:15 AM »
>"One last question. I know you're probably the last person I should ask about this, but how long ago did this happen?"

« Reply #280 on: August 08, 2010, 01:54:00 AM »
>"One last question. I know you're probably the last person I should ask about this, but how long ago did this happen?"

>"Not too long after that whole business with the false moon started. Couple weeks after it, maybe?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #281 on: August 08, 2010, 01:58:42 AM »
>Calculate that date.
>Would it work better being within the phenomena or outside of it? And would it be safe to have Mokou and Rumia nearby in either case?

« Reply #282 on: August 08, 2010, 02:02:17 AM »
>Calculate that date.

>That would place it about six years ago from the present time, assuming that Eirin didn't decide to attempt it at a different time here than the one you remember

>Would it work better being within the phenomena or outside of it? And would it be safe to have Mokou and Rumia nearby in either case?

>It would probably work better while closer to the thing you wish to devour. You don't see how it could possibly hurt anyone involved, unless there's some sort of defense mechanism to the spell that you're unaware of

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #283 on: August 08, 2010, 02:04:35 AM »
>"Can you take us back to the edge of the field closet to edge of the forest, Mokou? I'm going to try and take it down. If it works, I'll need you to get Rumia to the edge of the forest so she can alert Scarlet Devil Mansion."

« Reply #284 on: August 08, 2010, 02:09:01 AM »
>"Can you take us back to the edge of the field closet to edge of the forest, Mokou? I'm going to try and take it down. If it works, I'll need you to get Rumia to the edge of the forest so she can alert Scarlet Devil Mansion."

>"Well, the quickest way to do that would be by flying up," Mokou answers, "since we don't even know where we are right now. We can land at around the right spot. And how the hell are you thinking about taking this down, anyhow?"
>"Rumia doesn't understand," she asks, sounded a little sheepish. "What's Rumia supposed to be doing?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #285 on: August 08, 2010, 02:28:04 AM »
>"Lead the way, then."
>"And don't worry, Rumia. It'll make sense when it's your time to do things. Just stay with us for now."

« Reply #286 on: August 08, 2010, 02:36:40 AM »
>"Lead the way, then."

>"Sure thing."
>Mokou ascends, and you follow after her. When you crest the treetops, Mokou scans around and sighs. "And we're on the other other side of Eientei, now. Quickest couple miles you're ever walked, I bet. C'mon, this way." Mokou flies northward.

>"And don't worry, Rumia. It'll make sense when it's your time to do things. Just stay with us for now."

>"Um... ok. Rumia wants to help, so Rumia'll make extra sure to understand this time."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #287 on: August 08, 2010, 02:44:14 AM »
>Follow along.
>"If this works, Rumia, your job is going to be extra important. You'll be keeping me from getting beat up again, and helping to solve the problem with the moon."

« Reply #288 on: August 08, 2010, 02:49:33 AM »
>Follow along.
>"If this works, Rumia, your job is going to be extra important. You'll be keeping me from getting beat up again, and helping to solve the problem with the moon."

>You follow after Mokou.
>Rumia beams at this. "Yay! Rumia'll make really super sure to get it right! Promise!" You hear Mokou snicker a little.
>After a time, Mokou stops. "This should do it," she says, as she starts to descend.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #289 on: August 08, 2010, 03:02:52 AM »
>Follow Mokou down.
>"So, we're just outside the field?"

« Reply #290 on: August 08, 2010, 03:04:18 AM »
>Follow Mokou down.
>"So, we're just outside the field?"

>You descend.
>"Well, that or as close as I feel comfortable getting without worrying about landing inside it, instead."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #291 on: August 08, 2010, 03:18:28 AM »
>Once on the ground. "Alright. Rumia. If this works, this is what I need you to do. Go back to Scarlet Devil Mansion. Tell Patchouli the barrier is down. Mokou can guide you outside of the forest. Then bring them back here. Do you remember the way to the mansion?"
>Recount it for her.
>Once we're satisfied, head a little ways toward the field. It's time for lunch.

« Reply #292 on: August 08, 2010, 02:39:30 PM »
>Once on the ground. "Alright. Rumia. If this works, this is what I need you to do. Go back to Scarlet Devil Mansion. Tell Patchouli the barrier is down. Mokou can guide you outside of the forest. Then bring them back here. Do you remember the way to the mansion?"
>Recount it for her.

>"Rumia always knew how to get there. Rumia lives aaaaallll over the place." She waves her hands around, then stops and puts a finger thoughtfully to her chin. "Patchouli.... Was she the scary purple lightning lady? Don't worry. Rumia can handle it!" She nods sagely.

>Once we're satisfied, head a little ways toward the field. It's time for lunch.

>Satisfied that Rumia seems to understand your instructions as well as you could hope for, you take a few more steps towards where the field starts.
>"So," Mokou grumbles, "is this the part where you show me up?"

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #293 on: August 08, 2010, 02:45:30 PM »
> Start the attempt at devouring the ward's history.

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

« Reply #294 on: August 08, 2010, 03:07:16 PM »
> Start the attempt at devouring the ward's history.

>You take a deep breath and focus your mind. You've never tried using your ability on something quite like this, so you'll be stretching yourself no matter the outcome. But this is important, so you will succeed. You're not going to let there be another alternative.
>There is no ward, you repeat.  There was never a ward. No one tried to cast a spell on the forest six years ago. No one has wandered lost because of it. No one was hidden because of it. Space is normal here, because space was always normal here. No one interfered because no one ever tried to interfere. There was never a ward.

>As you try to consume the history of this spell, you slowly become aware of two unpleasant things.
>One: your connection to the history around you feels muted, distant. You can still sense it. You could still touch it. But it's not the same as it once was, and you're not sure why.
>Two: the ward has no history. This should be impossible, but that is how it feels. You can sense its presence, certainly, but it is as though the spell itself stands outside the flow of time. It existed before the world began, and it will continue to exist long after everything else has turned to dust. It could never not exist; it is perpetual. You realize this is a logical impossibility: it did not exist 7 years ago. And yet...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #295 on: August 08, 2010, 03:12:33 PM »
>Focus on the time when people were freely able to ignore, then, and devour the difference between then and now.
>Keep at it with this line of thought.

« Reply #296 on: August 08, 2010, 03:18:08 PM »
>Focus on the time when people were freely able to ignore, then, and devour the difference between then and now.
>Keep at it with this line of thought.

>You try to focus on the difference between now and the past. Even the distant past. And that is the most disturbing thing, because it feels like there is none. Nothing has changed in here for an age. How is that even possible?

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #297 on: August 08, 2010, 03:45:23 PM »
>Contemplate the possibility that what we are attacking isn't a ward, but a powerful illusion of one, and try to see if this line of inquiry reveals anything.

« Reply #298 on: August 08, 2010, 03:55:01 PM »
>Contemplate the possibility that what we are attacking isn't a ward, but a powerful illusion of one, and try to see if this line of inquiry reveals anything.

>If it is an illusion, it is one of a type that you didn't even know was possible. Not only does it fool the mundane senses, but it somehow fools history as well. You try to conceptualize it in these terms, but still make no progress. It's not so much that you cannot budge the ward. It's that there's nothing to budge. Its history could not end unless history itself ends.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #299 on: August 08, 2010, 04:13:20 PM »
>Consider a different possibility. Rather than remove the ward, remove what makes the ward effective. That is, reach back and arrange so that there was never a bamboo forest here.