Author Topic: Keine Quest (Part 2): Broken History  (Read 71999 times)

Re: Keine Quest (Part 2): Broken History
« Reply #150 on: August 06, 2010, 02:38:07 AM »
>Yeah, it's break down time. The kinda where you gotta fall to your knees because the legs go in sympathy strike kind.

>You try not to let it get to you. You really do. You like to think you've been managing this whole ordeal pretty well, considering. But on top of all the death and isolation you've faced so far, having the dearest person in your world write you off as a nutcase or some kind of liar... Dammit, Mokou. Why the hell do you have to be so insensitive? Can't you see!?

>"Hey, I want an answer," she snaps. "And cut the crap this time. Don't think I won't hurt you if you don't tell me what you're really doing sneaking into my house."

>Dammit, Mokou. Can't you see you already have?
>First, a tear gathers in the corner of your eye, then you choke back a sob, and soon you find yourself slumped against a tree, sobbing openly. Rumia frowns and tries to give your arm an awkward

>"Hey..." Mokou doesn't sound as harsh as she did a moment ago.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #151 on: August 06, 2010, 02:48:42 AM »
>Just let it out for now. Mokou can be yelled at properly later.

« Reply #152 on: August 06, 2010, 02:55:34 AM »
>Just let it out for now. Mokou can be yelled at properly later.

>You keep sobbing and sobbing. There are so many things to cry about. So many of the people you know are dead. Your closest human friend is dead. You old life is gone, and you're not sure you'll even be able to restore it. And the person who you trust most in all the world thinks you're either a nutcase or an enemy. Would it really have been too much to ask for a soft place to fall? Even for a moment?

>"Hey... are you ok?" Mokou's voice seems closer now, and... actually concerned? Or maybe just uncertain.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #153 on: August 06, 2010, 03:05:34 AM »
>"D-do I sound okay?"
>Take a steadying breath.
>"I'm...I'm not lying, damn it! Think about it! How'd I find this place? How'd I know your name, or about your rivalry!
>Yeah, that's about all we can force out right now. Back to relieving some tension.

« Reply #154 on: August 06, 2010, 03:13:48 AM »
>"D-do I sound okay?"

>"Well, uh, not really..."

>"I'm...I'm not lying, damn it! Think about it! How'd I find this place? How'd I know your name, or about your rivalry!
>Yeah, that's about all we can force out right now. Back to relieving some tension.

>You muster a retort and go back to crying. If she'd just stop being stupid and give you a hug, you might even forgive her. Hell, even if she's not your Mokou, it would be better than nothing...

>"W- Well that's what I was tryin' to ask you! I watched you come in, partway along. And I could damn near swear you were using my own markers to find the place. But it doesn't take a genius to know where me and her stand. 'sides, you're probably working for her, anyway. Whoever you are." She doesn't sound quite as irritated now, anyway...

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2010, 03:21:45 AM »
>"Ho-How would I even get to her? The place is supposed to be warded! Y-you want more proof?"
>Tell her where she keeps the silverware. And how.

« Reply #156 on: August 06, 2010, 03:30:05 AM »
>"Ho-How would I even get to her? The place is supposed to be warded! Y-you want more proof?"

>"Hey, they come in and out as they please! If you were with them, it wouldn't be any trouble at all. Hell, the fact that you even know that..."

>Tell her where she keeps the silverware. And how.

>"Wha- huh?" She pauses for a moment, and looks at you slack-jawed. "Wait, wait, what the hell were you doing in my house while I was away? Better question: how the hell did you manage to get into my house without me noticing?" She seems to be alternating between sounding angry and just plain confused. You think she's probably not sure herself which is more appropriate at the moment.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #157 on: August 06, 2010, 03:39:22 AM »
>Feeling a bit better now.
>"It's just like I said, another world. Go on, ask me anything! And I know about the barrier because Patchouli told me, okay?"

« Reply #158 on: August 06, 2010, 03:42:18 AM »
>Feeling a bit better now.

>You take another breath and wipe your tears. You think you can probably manage a conversation, now. As much as it hurts to cry, sometimes it also helps, a little...

>"It's just like I said, another world. Go on, ask me anything! And I know about the barrier because Patchouli told me, okay?"

>"Who's this Patchouli person? And, uh.... er... when was I born?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #159 on: August 06, 2010, 03:46:02 AM »
>"She's the librarian at Scarlet Devil Mansion. You probably saw the vampire and her maid come through, Patchouli works for them.
>If she's told us the exact answer, give it.
>If not. "You <never told me/don't remember exactly>, but a little over 1300 years ago."

« Reply #160 on: August 06, 2010, 03:57:14 AM »
>"She's the librarian at Scarlet Devil Mansion. You probably saw the vampire and her maid come through, Patchouli works for them.

>"Huh. Yeah, I saw the vampire. I saw her a bunch of times, actually, running around in circles over towards Eientei. Saw her getting pretty pissed, too. Heh, not that I don't get that. You have any idea how many times I've tried to get through that damn spell? I bet Kaguya's having a great laugh at how clever she thinks she is. Won't think she's so clever the next time she sees me. And if she thinks that's going to keep me from kicking her ass again....." Mokou scoffs.

>If she's told us the exact answer, give it.
>If not. "You <never told me/don't remember exactly>, but a little over 1300 years ago."

>She did give you an exact date, eventually, although she was never too found of talking about it. You answer Mokou's question, and are rewarded with a look of momentary disbelief. "Well, I-" She pauses and reconsiders. "Dammit, Kaguya probably know that, too. Ok, next question... uh...."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #161 on: August 06, 2010, 04:00:48 AM »
>"Go on? You want something Kaguya doesn't know? How about you inside leg measurement?"
>We've had to tried to take her shopping, after all...

« Reply #162 on: August 06, 2010, 04:10:22 AM »
>"Go on? You want something Kaguya doesn't know? How about you inside leg measurement?"
>We've had to tried to take her shopping, after all...

>"M- my what? Why would you-" She stops and looks at you a little funny. Even for you, the expression is hard to read.
>You suspect a more likely issue is that Mokou herself doesn't know the precise answer to that one... at least not without you around to try to convince her to vary her wardrobe. On the other hand, she does have a small birthmark rather near there, in a place no polite company would get the chance to see. You'd always thought it was rather cute, actually.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #163 on: August 06, 2010, 04:15:59 AM »
>"Birthmark."

« Reply #164 on: August 06, 2010, 04:18:34 AM »
>"Birthmark."

>"W- what? What's that even supposed to prove? Lots of people have birthmarks. You probably have one, too, for all I know." She sounds a little uncomfortable, just the same.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #165 on: August 06, 2010, 04:23:03 AM »
>"Do you really want me to say where it is. Because I will. You know I know."

« Reply #166 on: August 06, 2010, 04:31:53 AM »
>"Do you really want me to say where it is. Because I will. You know I know."

>She shifts a little uncomfortably. "You're not getting me to fall for that one," she says, although there's not a lot of conviction in her voice. She glances at Rumia, and then back to you again. "So, uh...." she looks around awkwardly again, and then walks over towards you. "If this is some kind of a joke, I'm so kicking your ass, you know." Then she stands there near you, and just kind of stares at you, doing her best to look intimidating, and failing utterly, as far as you're concerned.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #167 on: August 06, 2010, 04:36:05 AM »
>Point where it would be.
>"Convinced, yet? Or do I need to go through your usual morning routine?"

« Reply #168 on: August 06, 2010, 04:43:28 AM »
>Point where it would be.
>"Convinced, yet? Or do I need to go through your usual morning routine?"

>It takes Mokou a moment to figure out what your subtle gesture is indicating. You can see the exact moment of realization on her face. It's actually kind of comical. Then she sputters and turns away, crossing her arms. But you're pretty sure you saw her blush, first. You suppress a chuckle.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #169 on: August 06, 2010, 04:50:21 AM »
>"Convinced?"

« Reply #170 on: August 06, 2010, 05:07:00 AM »
>"Convinced?"

>"Uh, well... I don't- I... dammit!" She kicks a nearby tree. "Ok, let's just pretend I believe you. Which I'm still not sure I do," she hastily adds. "But, if I did... what then?"

E-Nazrin

• .... what're you looking at?
  • fuwafuwa pachipachi
« Reply #171 on: August 06, 2010, 05:09:31 AM »
>"I ask for your help in finding Eintei and fixing the moon."
>... mumble, "... and maybe a hug."
There was something here once. Wonder what...

« Reply #172 on: August 06, 2010, 05:13:08 AM »
>"I ask for your help in finding Eintei and fixing the moon."
>... mumble, "... and maybe a hug."

>"Dammit, if I knew where to find that place now, it'd probably be on fire already. And a- a-" she hesitates, again. "So we... we were a thing, were we?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #173 on: August 06, 2010, 05:14:34 AM »
>"Yeah. How do you think I knew all that?"

« Reply #174 on: August 06, 2010, 05:22:37 AM »
>"Yeah. How do you think I knew all that?"

>"Well I- I don't know... you could have spied on me... when I was changing... somehow... without..." she trails off, muttering to herself. "..or maybe Kaguya... which would mean... damn, I'd break her neck twice for that one."
>She quickly turns back to you. "Look, I don't care what you say, but it's pretty hard to believe someone when they say they're from a different timeline, or however the hell you put it. And knowing.... stuff.... doesn't make it suddenly make sense, you know?"

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #175 on: August 06, 2010, 05:28:23 AM »
>"I don't really understand what happened, either. But just because neither of us understands it doesn't make it's untrue. All I can do is tell you to look at the preponderance of evidence. If Kaguya could spy on you that thoroughly, why would she have sent me? You can tell, I'm sure, that I'm no match for you even with all that knowledge. I'm just a teacher with a bit of skill, nothing like you."
>"Besides...I know you're curious beyond anything, no matter what you try to say. Don't be afraid to be honest with me; think of it like this, I knew all that stuff, and still stayed with you."

« Reply #176 on: August 06, 2010, 05:35:57 AM »
>"I don't really understand what happened, either. But just because neither of us understands it doesn't make it's untrue. All I can do is tell you to look at the preponderance of evidence. If Kaguya could spy on you that thoroughly, why would she have sent me? You can tell, I'm sure, that I'm no match for you even with all that knowledge. I'm just a teacher with a bit of skill, nothing like you."
>"Besides...I know you're curious beyond anything, no matter what you try to say. Don't be afraid to be honest with me; think of it like this, I knew all that stuff, and still stayed with you."

>"Why would she have sent you? So that she could laugh at me for falling for it, probably. I wouldn't put it past her. But... if she can pull that off without me noticing, I've seriously let myself slip."
>"And well... maybe I am a little curious. Maybe." She gives you a long and appraising look. Up. Down.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #177 on: August 06, 2010, 05:52:38 AM »
>"Thank heaven you haven't changed, then. So much else has."
>Stand back up. "...Sorry about earlier, just... Well, do you know what it's like to hear those kinds of things from someone that important to you, after so much stress?"
>Shrug.
>"It's an honest question. I've never asked before."

« Reply #178 on: August 06, 2010, 06:15:25 AM »
>"Thank heaven you haven't changed, then. So much else has."
>Stand back up. "...Sorry about earlier, just... Well, do you know what it's like to hear those kinds of things from someone that important to you, after so much stress?"
>Shrug.
>"It's an honest question. I've never asked before."

>"I- well.... I don't really have a lot of important people. Or, well, any nowadays. But, if you really aren't making this junk up, well..." she trails off, and stares out thoughtfully for a moment or two. Trying to remember what it was like, maybe?  "Well, I'd say it would be pretty fuckin' awful, actually."
>"Look, I'm... I'm sorry, ok? I still think it's a bit much to swallow, but I feel pretty rotten making you cry like that. And, hell, should I really be turning away someone who claims to be in love with me? Especially if..." she gives you another once over. "If this really is some stupid joke, I'll just cave Kaguya's face in before she can finish laughing. Here, c'mon."  She turns and walks back towards her house.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #179 on: August 06, 2010, 06:28:44 AM »
>Follow her in.
>"You'd do that to her, anyways, given half the chance. But I appreciate the thought. Even if I would normally get just a little jealous of the attention you give her and not me."
>Teehee.
>"But, that's part of why I'm here. Kaguya and Eirin are responsible for what happened to the moon, and it's vitally important that we undo it.  And, frankly, there's no one better for it, nor anyone who knows this forest better."