Author Topic: Otakon 2010 - July 30-August 1, Baltimore MD.  (Read 124417 times)

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
Re: Otakon 2010 - July 30-August 1, Baltimore MD.
« Reply #360 on: July 26, 2010, 02:00:21 AM »
So what kind of chow/adult beverage consumption is gonna happen the rest of the weekend?

I know that triangles and I need to find out how many shots it takes before we can no longer play PoFV/MBAC or whatnot. 

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #361 on: July 26, 2010, 02:50:30 AM »
The weather forecast for Baltimore is pretty amazing.

Thursday: Isolated thunderstorms
Friday: Sunny
Saturday: Sunny
Sunday: Sunny
Monday: Scattered thunderstorms
Tuesday: Scattered thunderstorms

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #362 on: July 26, 2010, 03:24:21 AM »
Are you going as Inu-Sakuya?  =<
Certainly not, although if the opportunity were thrust upon me to do so it would be far greater a loss to abstain than to accept.

I believe the Germans phrased best when they said "...WAS?" Such wisdom. Also oh boy Red Mage outfit in 100 degree temps. Joy.

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #363 on: July 26, 2010, 03:29:18 AM »
Oh, you're actually bringing Red Mage? Does that include the fireball, or will the cross take up too much room?
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Momiji

• Cya
« Reply #364 on: July 26, 2010, 04:17:56 AM »
You have no idea how much of a blessing this is.  We've had weeks straight of ~100F weather.  It's going to be perfect for the con.

Reddyne

« Reply #365 on: July 26, 2010, 11:48:18 AM »
Oh, you're actually bringing Red Mage? Does that include the fireball, or will the cross take up too much room?
RM has GOTTA make it to a major con at least once. With a carrier on the roof of the SUV, we should have enough room.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #366 on: July 26, 2010, 12:04:26 PM »

Hells yea! Death to the damned heat wave! :D

[⑨] Suzuran

• Neko Neko Wai~
« Reply #367 on: July 26, 2010, 01:53:41 PM »
Wait wait, so what kind of temperatures are we talking here? 80s?

Edible

« Reply #368 on: July 26, 2010, 01:58:11 PM »
Highs up to 90, looks like.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #369 on: July 26, 2010, 02:12:45 PM »
wunderground.com says mid-80s.  I can dig it especially because I'm wearing unintentionally skin showing outfits this year ohnoes

Edible

« Reply #370 on: July 26, 2010, 02:38:20 PM »

triangles

« Reply #371 on: July 26, 2010, 02:59:59 PM »
Hey I didn't really how OH GOD LEG Meiling's skirt thing is on a human when you start walking  :ohdear:

[⑨] Suzuran

• Neko Neko Wai~
« Reply #372 on: July 26, 2010, 06:30:41 PM »
Hey I didn't really how OH GOD LEG Meiling's skirt thing is on a human when you start walking
Dresses FTW ^_^

triangles

« Reply #373 on: July 27, 2010, 05:14:37 AM »
Yeah well now that the skirt is done I can say with 110% certainty I am definitely going to be needing flesh-colored stockings and MJP to serve as my flashing-body guard because accurate skirt design is accurate  :ohdear:

Spoiler:
I've also come to the conclusion the hard way that fanartists tend to not understand how underwear works in conjunction with skirt slits let me tell you

Did I mention this is the first year I had enough self-confidence to even wear shorts that hit at the knee in public?  Yeaaaaaaah why do I do these things clearly my husband is a terrible influence.

Jana

• mrgrgr
« Reply #374 on: July 27, 2010, 06:43:01 AM »
...You didn't want to try the fighting game's white pants Meiling? My crossplay-hopeful buddy is going to try it that way.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #375 on: July 27, 2010, 06:55:25 AM »
It looks like I may have to bail on going altogether due to some very... sudden developments.  Not sure yet.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Reddyne

« Reply #376 on: July 27, 2010, 11:38:27 AM »
Been trying and failing terribly to help a friend assemble a costume he could've started in April but has waited until the last minute. The number of disasters that occurred during this process was astronomical. I MIGHT have been in such a haste-ridden state of panic that I successfully sewed a sleeve where the neck should go, effectively creating a mutant turtleneck, but that's not to say there weren't other problems. I really enjoy how my sewing machine works properly, just about as much as I enjoy having thread that doesn't fall apart on its own accord. My friend doesn't have that sort of luxury available to him right now.

So, yeah. I'm never going to try to rush anything like this ever again. The upside is that he's good friends with an expert on this sorta thing and I might be dragged in to assist and I'm always into meeting new people.

It looks like I may have to bail on going altogether due to some very... sudden developments.  Not sure yet.
D: D: D:
The only reason I'm able to go in the first place is because I divorced myself from an all-too abusive workaholic of a boss. Being robbed of such an opportunity must feel like the exact opposite of the excitement I had upon the realization that I could go to Otakon almost guilt-free.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 11:48:02 AM by Reddyne »

triangles

« Reply #377 on: July 27, 2010, 01:47:05 PM »
:( :( :(

...You didn't want to try the fighting game's white pants Meiling? My crossplay-hopeful buddy is going to try it that way.
Part of Otakon 2010: The Costume selection was in an effort to help me get over body-image issues - logic being making myself wear something I'd otherwise be convinced I'm too fat to wear and realizing no one's pointing and calling me a hambeast will help (this is how I managed to wear shorts this year for the first time since, I dunno middle school?)  Of course, this means I need to stay the hell away from the internet right after Otakon when all the trolls come out and then will call me a fatty but details details.

last minute costume disaster ohnoes
Yeaaaaah I'm doing the last minute costume thing too.  I'm probably a bit better at sewing than your friend but I'm still kicking myself for not actually starting China until, uh, Sunday night really? And somehow magically forgot how to sew darts into the skirt for pretty much all of yesterday (yeah all you guys who don't have to worry about darts when they sew to accommodate for girly parts YUP TOTALLY HATE YOU ALL)  It's half done at this point at least but I still have a lot of work to do + a prop for my other outfit to make  :ohdear:

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #378 on: July 27, 2010, 02:49:05 PM »
D: D: D:
The only reason I'm able to go in the first place is because I divorced myself from an all-too abusive workaholic of a boss. Being robbed of such an opportunity must feel like the exact opposite of the excitement I had upon the realization that I could go to Otakon almost guilt-free.

Trust me, it'd be easier on me right now if it was work preventing me from going :ohdear:

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #379 on: July 27, 2010, 04:36:05 PM »
Of course, this means I need to stay the hell away from the internet right after Otakon when all the trolls come out and then will call me a fatty but details details.

People DO THAT? I don't think I've ever seen horribly negative comments on post con pictures like, ever...where do you look for pics o.O?

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #380 on: July 27, 2010, 05:58:51 PM »
/jp/ and /cgl/ will regularly rip cosplay to shreds.

But /jp/ and /cgl/ are both filled with the worst kind of people, so. Hell, I think I'd actually rather post cosplay pictures on /jp/, because they don't discriminate. With /cgl/, if it's not perfect, it's terrible. With /jp/, it's just terrible. >_>

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #381 on: July 27, 2010, 06:04:42 PM »
I kinda consider /jp/ and /cgl/ to not be places you go to find cosplay pictures.

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
« Reply #382 on: July 27, 2010, 06:28:31 PM »
Was a location/time for an MoTK meetup/photoshoot ever finalized?

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #383 on: July 27, 2010, 06:42:55 PM »
I don't think so, but I imagine you can come to any of the three photoshoots and run into a whole bunch of people.

PC

• riot pls nerf trondamere
  • poultry shout too strong
« Reply #384 on: July 27, 2010, 07:36:46 PM »
Aight, noted.

Okuu cosplay didn't get finished in time, so I'll just be going as Raymoo for Friday and Saturday.

triangles

« Reply #385 on: July 27, 2010, 08:36:03 PM »
People DO THAT? I don't think I've ever seen horribly negative comments on post con pictures like, ever...where do you look for pics o.O?

I've seen people trash things pretty harshly in personal blogs and stuff if I was say doing a search for "[my costume] cosplay + [name of con] + [year]" in Google.  And yeah 4chan anything, either you're a fatty or a slut pretty much  :V 

The sad thing is if you ask a technical question like where to find a wig in X color or something along those lines the cosplay 4chan board is super fast and helpful, moreso than cosplay.com I've noticed.  You just have to wade through all the people calling any girl who has a thigh measurement larger than her forearms a hambeast or whatever crazy moon standards they have.

Edible

« Reply #386 on: July 27, 2010, 08:43:14 PM »
And yeah 4chan anything, either you're a fatty or a slut pretty much  :V

This says less about the cosplay and more about the level of interaction with the opposite sex those particular boards have had. :V

triangles

« Reply #387 on: July 27, 2010, 08:49:01 PM »
The funny thing is, someone told me the cosplay 4chan board has a huge proportion of lady posters.  So it's probably either jealously or trying to talk smack about someone ~*~cosplay famous~*~ or just having an ego the size of Kansas as a reason to be an ass on the internet.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #388 on: July 27, 2010, 08:52:28 PM »
It's all three of those, really. I have friends that have interacted with the more e-famous /cgl/ers, and from what I have heard they are not overly enjoyable people in real life either (at least in regards to cosplay - who knows if that extends to all facets of life).

Reddyne

« Reply #389 on: July 27, 2010, 09:01:09 PM »
/jp/ and /cgl/ will regularly rip cosplay to shreds.

But /jp/ and /cgl/ are both filled with the worst kind of people, so. Hell, I think I'd actually rather post cosplay pictures on /jp/, because they don't discriminate. With /cgl/, if it's not perfect, it's terrible. With /jp/, it's just terrible. >_>
Generally this. /jp/ just hates indiscriminately. /cgl/ feels a bit worse because they've done this stuff before and can hate on anyone that has a life outside of the needle and thread and those who don't have a woodshop and machining room. Plus, in my experience, they're the same type of people that thought they had to wear exclusively Abercrombie and Fitch to fit in. The dumb part of high school all over again. And I STILL hang out with the same 'rejects' that treat everyone like human beings. A rant indeed, but I've gotten more than an earful of this from a friend recently.
Yeaaaaah I'm doing the last minute costume thing too.  I'm probably a bit better at sewing than your friend but I'm still kicking myself for not actually starting China until, uh, Sunday night really? Also, LOL fitting really is a pain.
I was doing this for my friend since he's inexperienced. Wound up with two days full of despair. Also, yeah, I can imagine darts being a pain. Fitting stuff on my friend was an adventure in and of itself. "How's it fit downstairs?" "Uh, I can't walk." "Alright, I was very careful to hem it so there should be enough room. Just put the zipper in too. Took me an hour plus. How 'bout now?" "I now know where I can store my wallet, food, and any swag I buy." Well what the heck? Not to mention I had to use the wrong pattern for a shirt so I cut the fabric without thinking, stitched it together and had him try on a freshly sewn smock. Not so good.
The Costume selection was in an effort to help me get over body-image issues - logic being making myself wear something I'd otherwise be convinced I'm too fat to wear and realizing no one's pointing and calling me a hambeast will help.
WHAH-TEH-VUR. ...Says the one who's in the best shape he's been in since high school cross country, but I dealt with a lot of that when I was a lot heavier. Anyway, most of the guys at the Touhou shoots will be voluntarily disgracing ourselves and getting others to question our sexuality in a heavily populated area and most of us won't care. Just have fun.