Author Topic: Otakon 2010 - July 30-August 1, Baltimore MD.  (Read 124422 times)

Zakenna

• fomer Internet tough guy
  • Ahh After 10,000 years I'm free!
    • polyvinylcrush
Re: Otakon 2010 - July 30-August 1, Baltimore MD.
« Reply #270 on: July 17, 2010, 06:57:34 AM »
I think an MoTK dinner on thursday would be pretty cool. If not that then maybe a lunch during one of the con days after the photoshoot

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #271 on: July 17, 2010, 11:59:43 AM »
I'm certainly up for dinner regardless of where it is, so long as it doesn't interfere with prereg in any way. Got up at 5:00 last year and hung out in the Baltimore sun for four and a half hours before the line moved at all waiting to get in wasn't fun and I certainly don't recommend it for anyone else.

It also just occurred to me how much Sunday afternoon is going to suck. I'll need to move back home for a month since I'm moving on from one workplace to another. I got home at 3:00am last year and will need to wake up at at least 6:00, then a 75 minute commute to a brand new workplace while dealing with a post-con hangover. Ugh, looks like I'm either cashing in on some karma chips or committing occupational suicide.  :flamingv:

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #272 on: July 17, 2010, 12:35:45 PM »
Drats, looks like I missed the online prereg date. Umm... any recommendations? -.-;

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #273 on: July 17, 2010, 01:16:42 PM »
Drats, looks like I missed the online prereg date. Umm... any recommendations? -.-;

Bring a DS, portable DVD player, or at least an iPod to the Friday line. You're gonna need it.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #274 on: July 17, 2010, 01:22:44 PM »
Oh right, should probably pick-up my badge Thursday night.  Who wants to wait in line?  :getdown:

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #275 on: July 17, 2010, 01:31:14 PM »
If you don't need to be at the con right at opening time the regular reg lines aren't that bad after noon IIRC.  Even when they had attendance caps to worry about a few years back I think they didn't fill up until Saturday.  They're expanding Thursday pre-reg hours and using a bar code system this year so that should (in theory) streamline reg across the board.

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #276 on: July 17, 2010, 02:40:26 PM »
The first Touhou shoot is Friday at noon, though, so you'd miss that entirely.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #277 on: July 17, 2010, 08:59:33 PM »
If you don't need to be at the con right at opening time the regular reg lines aren't that bad after noon IIRC.  Even when they had attendance caps to worry about a few years back I think they didn't fill up until Saturday.  They're expanding Thursday pre-reg hours and using a bar code system this year so that should (in theory) streamline reg across the board.

I've never preregged except for my first year and I've never waited more than an hour or so for an at-con reg.  It's really not a big deal.

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #278 on: July 19, 2010, 04:51:07 PM »
>_>

Anyone know a place where I can buy a premade animu costume and have it arrive before Wednesday of next week?  I kind of got an urge to cosplay for a day but I have neither the time nor the motivation to make my own atm.

Bananamatic

« Reply #279 on: July 19, 2010, 05:11:00 PM »
>_>

Anyone know a place where I can buy a premade animu costume and have it arrive before Wednesday of next week?  I kind of got an urge to cosplay for a day but I have neither the time nor the motivation to make my own atm.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #280 on: July 19, 2010, 05:22:56 PM »
I thought about a cosplay too (now that I'm 99% sure I'm there) but I don't think I can get anything on such short notice :T

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

triangles

« Reply #281 on: July 19, 2010, 05:41:20 PM »
http://www.cosplay.com/marketplace/showcat.php/cat/14 is probably your best bet, or trolling like cosplay livejournal communities for people looking to offload some things.  Also I know in the dealer's room of the last con I went to they sell stuff like Edward Elric and Bleach coats.

Also it's official.  One of my friends has decided to dress up as Aya for Otakon thanks to my Touhou blatherings and the fact they are adorable  :3

Also ahhh less than 10 days to finish 2 costumes go triangles go :O

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #282 on: July 19, 2010, 06:18:23 PM »
Man, I did Aya before it was cool. Everyone be jackin' my shit.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Edible

« Reply #283 on: July 19, 2010, 06:24:31 PM »
Man, I did Aya before it was cool. Everyone be jackin' my shit.

(insert tengu sluttery comment here)

[⑨] Suzuran

• Neko Neko Wai~
« Reply #284 on: July 19, 2010, 09:40:15 PM »
I has a room and prereg and a flight and my boss has given up arguing with me (I hope!) so I am good to go. I will be there Thursday early afternoon (ideally).
Whatever you all plan to do, let me know and if I'm present I'll try my best to make it.

I just hope the TSA doesn't give me crap for taking Su-san on the flight with me. I can't bring her box, it's too big.

Edible

« Reply #285 on: July 19, 2010, 09:43:10 PM »
I just hope the TSA doesn't give me crap for taking Su-san on the flight with me. I can't bring her box, it's too big.

Buy a child's wooden coffin with a lock, place her in it, and check it.

:derp:

Silentsword

• Ace Hakurei Attorney
  • Practical solutions to impractical problems!
« Reply #286 on: July 20, 2010, 02:39:24 AM »
>_>

1: Are you looking for anything in particular?
2: Are you averse to borrowing?
3: What size are you?

Anyone, domestic or foreign, getting a new costume to you by Wednesday of next week, especially if you can't wear a "stock" size with no alterations, is a tall order.  Possible, but highly unlikely.  You might be better off seeing if someone here has something reasonably close to your fit that you can borrow.  Either that or seeing what you can dig out of the closet with minimal making or alterations (My Akihiko that I've worn for the past two years is basically closet; the vest, gun, and holster are the only things I made, for example)
"But if I don't do this, then all that's left is to stand around and do nothing, and I've discovered I can't do that. That's the problem with the freedom of choice he was talking about: once you've got it, you can't live with yourself very comfortably if you choose not to exercise it." - Commander Warner Caslet.

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #287 on: July 20, 2010, 02:41:50 AM »
Edible, if you can grow a goatee, I'll loan you my old glasses and a lab coat.  It's up to you to create the fake Black Mesa ID. 

Bananamatic

« Reply #288 on: July 20, 2010, 02:42:49 AM »

Always a solution

Edible

« Reply #289 on: July 20, 2010, 04:07:05 AM »
Edible, if you can grow a goatee, I'll loan you my old glasses and a lab coat.  It's up to you to create the fake Black Mesa ID.

Ahaha.  Sir, I have been sporting a goatee since THE VERY DAWN OF HUMANITY.

But yeah.  Thanks all for the advice (and... other advice) but I'm probably just not gonna bother.  Way too late in the game to do something I'd actually want.

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #290 on: July 20, 2010, 04:12:59 AM »
I'm a wuss that doesn't actually want to wear a skirt despite all the false bravado I put up

oh

Edible

« Reply #291 on: July 20, 2010, 04:17:24 AM »
oh

Sorry, Kilga.  Not everyone has meaty thighs and a full beard to show off.

triangles

« Reply #292 on: July 20, 2010, 12:45:26 PM »
Hey I wear skirts without all that so you can too  :V

[⑨] Suzuran

• Neko Neko Wai~
« Reply #293 on: July 20, 2010, 06:55:22 PM »
Dresses > Skirts

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
Otakon
« Reply #294 on: July 20, 2010, 07:27:41 PM »
If you're still undecided for dinner, I recommend Phillip's: moderately priced, varied menu, right at the harbor.

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Reddyne

« Reply #295 on: July 20, 2010, 07:39:48 PM »
Dresses > Skirts
I 'unno. As Yumemi, I get to wear a standard button-up shirt along with a homemade vest and bow tie. Plus I get to wear a skirt on top of that. So I'll not only look like a confused deranged freak to the mundanes, but a classy confused deranged freak.

Momiji

• Cya
Re: Otakon
« Reply #296 on: July 20, 2010, 07:46:19 PM »
If you're still undecided for dinner, I recommend Phillip's: moderately priced, varied menu, right at the harbor.
Philips is okay.  Only thing is a bunch of people wanted to go bowling.  I'm down for bowling myself, but I definitely want decent food too.  I need to make the reservations, like today.  =|

Tengukami

• Breaking news. Any season.
  • I said, with a posed look.
« Reply #297 on: July 20, 2010, 08:37:54 PM »
Why go bowling when you can go to Discovery Zone after dinner and climb around on the rope nets and play with sciency stuff?

"Human history and growth are both linked closely to strife. Without conflict, humanity would have no impetus for growth. When humans are satisfied with their present condition, they may as well give up on life."

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #298 on: July 20, 2010, 08:42:53 PM »
I can bowl at home, but I can't eat in Baltimore at home :<

Reddyne

« Reply #299 on: July 20, 2010, 09:01:54 PM »
Why go bowling when you can go to Discovery Zone after dinner and climb around on the rope nets and play with sciency stuff?
How did you know that I still do this? I don't care what they tell me. I'm a paying customer and I'll hide in the bathroom well past closing time just so I can have the ball pit all to myself. It's no fun when you wind up jumping on some kid trying to hide from his parents so he doesn't have to go home.

But, uh, yes. Things are going to be very busy. A good thing, but I always try and make the con trip about as much about the con experience as I can. Eating is a necessity, though, and I'd rather that be a pleasant experience rather than microwave reheated pizza with plastic-like cheese. Hence, dinner sounds great, but I don't think I'll be present for bowling.