Author Topic: Miscellaneous Questions Thread (LOOK HERE OR DIE)  (Read 202524 times)

Paper Conan

• Productivity, all day 'erry day
  • NOPE, just kidding~
Re: Miscellaneous Questions Thread (LOOK HERE OR DIE)
« Reply #960 on: January 16, 2011, 01:44:11 PM »
I have a question, but I'm not too sure if it belongs here. :ohdear:

....How do you unlock Aya in RoHL?   :blush:

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #961 on: January 16, 2011, 07:46:30 PM »
What exactly is Mayohiga from perfect cherry blossom? It appears to be a village Chen guards in game, but is it a village for youkai?

I ask because I want to use the location in story, like as the location where team 9 lives (I have absolutely no idea how to write a 9 ball).

TakuTaku

• Currently Incognito
  • I'm always losing to win
    • ah.
« Reply #962 on: January 16, 2011, 10:09:49 PM »
What exactly is Mayohiga from perfect cherry blossom? It appears to be a village Chen guards in game, but is it a village for youkai?

I ask because I want to use the location in story, like as the location where team 9 lives (I have absolutely no idea how to write a 9 ball).

As far as I know, Mayohiga is the place where the Yakumos live, I haven't noted any other youkai living there as well. I think it's just one giant mansion, but I could be wrong.

It's pretty possible in fanon to have other people living there, such as team (9). You'd just have to find a way to make it really work. I don't think Yukari would approve of the constant noise and shenanigans.

9 ball is 'written' as ( 9 ) :'>

DevArt | Twitter
freelance artist looking for work

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #963 on: January 16, 2011, 10:17:40 PM »
As far as I know, Mayohiga is the place where the Yakumos live, I haven't noted any other youkai living there as well. I think it's just one giant mansion, but I could be wrong.

It's pretty possible in fanon to have other people living there, such as team ⑨. You'd just have to find a way to make it really work. I don't think Yukari would approve of the constant noise and shenanigans.

9 ball is 'written' as ( 9 ) :'>

I'm having trouble getting the  ⑨ symbol, how did you do that (only got it by copy-paste)?

Pity about Mayohiga. It's almost never referenced properly in the fics (everyone keeps saying that no one knows where Yukari lives, which contradicts that). I thought it was a youkai village.

Truthfully, I thought it was a youkai village, and the yakumos live elsewhere (never got to phantasm on PCB, so I'm not totally sure what I'm missing information wise.) Might use it as such anyway, but I don't like spitting in the face of canon.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2011, 10:20:05 PM by capt. h »

Drake

« Reply #964 on: January 16, 2011, 11:10:17 PM »
The Yakumos likely do not live in Mayohiga. They live on the northeastern edge of Gensokyo, actually reasonably close to the Hakurei Shrine. Even just considering Mayohiga may be on the way to Hakugyokurou, it's likely not their home. It might be close enough to Yukari's place, though.

Mayohiga is a village that Chen often goes to play at and/or protect, and is probably the same village overrun by cats that is the basis of Chen's BAiJR article. It says the village was once inhabited by humans, but it was abandoned. However, Stage 2 introduces it with that it refuses humans, but whatever. Chen brought a bunch of cats there so she could have a bunch of servants (servants of a servant of a servant, note) except she isn't good at being their leader; anarchy, etc. When confronted by Reimu, she says it's "our home" (私達の里). The word used is not "house", but "village" or something like that. Since Chen goes to Mayohiga and the cat village, it's reasonable to assume they're one in the same.

A Colorful Calculating Creative and Cuddly Crafty Callipygous Clever Commander
- original art by Aiけん | ウサホリ -

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #965 on: January 17, 2011, 02:58:06 AM »
The Yakumos likely do not live in Mayohiga. They live on the northeastern edge of Gensokyo, actually reasonably close to the Hakurei Shrine. Even just considering Mayohiga may be on the way to Hakugyokurou, it's likely not their home. It might be close enough to Yukari's place, though.

Mayohiga is a village that Chen often goes to play at and/or protect, and is probably the same village overrun by cats that is the basis of Chen's BAiJR article. It says the village was once inhabited by humans, but it was abandoned. However, Stage 2 introduces it with that it refuses humans, but whatever. Chen brought a bunch of cats there so she could have a bunch of servants (servants of a servant of a servant, note) except she isn't good at being their leader; anarchy, etc. When confronted by Reimu, she says it's "our home" (私達の里). The word used is not "house", but "village" or something like that. Since Chen goes to Mayohiga and the cat village, it's reasonable to assume they're one in the same.

Thanks, but I'm curious about something you said. You mentioned that the Yakumos live on the north eastern edge of Gensokyo. A map of Gensokyo would be very advantageous for what I'm working on, so I'm curious where you got your information concerning geography. I didn't even know there was a canon geography until you mentioned it, and having that would be useful.

Drake

« Reply #966 on: January 17, 2011, 03:16:49 AM »
Yukari mentions it in Reimu's Phantasm. There is no "canonical" map of Gensokyo, but so far the most detailed and accurate one I know of is here.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2192/gensokyotraditionalmapb.jpg

Note you do not need to follow the map precisely as it's only a bunch of guesses based on relations of one place to another, and the compass is essentially there for show. But it's a nice guide if you don't want to read various articles.

capt. h

• Only sane townie
« Reply #967 on: January 17, 2011, 04:14:42 AM »
Yukari mentions it in Reimu's Phantasm. There is no "canonical" map of Gensokyo, but so far the most detailed and accurate one I know of is here.

http://img404.imageshack.us/img404/2192/gensokyotraditionalmapb.jpg

Note you do not need to follow the map precisely as it's only a bunch of guesses based on relations of one place to another, and the compass is essentially there for show. But it's a nice guide if you don't want to read various articles.

Thank you for this. Coincidentally, in spite of being completely different from how I imagined Gensokyo, none of the geography on the map conficts with the story yet, so it works out perfectly!

I find it hilarious that nameless hill has it's own location on the map.

Matsuri

« Reply #968 on: January 18, 2011, 05:23:45 AM »
If it helps any, at least one publication of it seems to have been in an anthology.

I do own a copy to scan; I'm just very forgetful and am often doing other things that do not involve me scanning it. :fail:

Ryuu

• time for kittyrina lessons
  • time to press r again
« Reply #969 on: January 18, 2011, 07:06:15 AM »
I do own a copy to scan; I'm just very forgetful and am often doing other things that do not involve me scanning it. :fail:

if you really want, I could start guilt tripping you to make you do it

http://ryuukyunplaysstuff.tumblr.com/ read about me playing league i guess

Whatthe

• Formerly known as "Only somewhat distracted"
  • Still distracted
« Reply #970 on: January 19, 2011, 04:04:50 PM »
Waaait a minute

So you keep forgetting...to scan the manga about Ellen.

OH THE IRONY :getdown:

Nat Tea

• ★三 ☆三 ★三 ☆三 ★三
  • 三☆ 三★ 三☆ 三★ 三☆
« Reply #971 on: January 19, 2011, 07:07:33 PM »
So why do Tengus and Kappas dislike Onis again?
Horie dorie~
Pixiv: http://pixiv.me/choja / PSO2: Choja (Ship5) / 3DS: 3496-9942-9472 / PSVITA: choja206 (English) / chojahiragawajpn (Japanese) / Cosplays: Koishi Komeiji, Kogasa Tatara
Tumblr contains cooking and cosplay. Twitter contains me retweeting everything.
I draw but I do not use artist title. I also write, but I have been inactive lately. I want to get better at those things and more!

Hideki

• ~La, la, la~
  • Texas Chensaw Massacre
« Reply #972 on: January 19, 2011, 07:40:44 PM »
I don't think that they dislike them, just that they are afraid what would happen if they decided to come back above ground.  In the Marisa\Nitori path of SA, Nitori mentions that Oni are the boss of the Tengu and Kappa, and having the Oni return would mean that they would no longer control Youkai Mountain. (incidentally, she also mentions that one Oni would be able to win against the Kappa and the Tengu)  On the other hand, after they defeat Yuugi, Nitori invites her up to go drinking.

Badass bookworms

Whatthe

• Still distracted
« Reply #973 on: January 19, 2011, 10:43:20 PM »
So...what does Mystia do with her lamprey stand profits? Is she just accumulating a nest egg?

Drake

« Reply #974 on: January 20, 2011, 12:03:34 AM »
Once again mentioning that even if Oni and Tengu/Kappa were on bad standing a good 4000 years ago, they are not necessarily now, especially with the spell card rules in set. It's actually likely high-ranking Oni, Tengu and Kappa signed the agreement in the first place.

OkashiiKisei

• Still working on the Grimoire
  • It's all about devotion
« Reply #975 on: January 20, 2011, 12:29:43 AM »
So...what does Mystia do with her lamprey stand profits? Is she just accumulating a nest egg?

Some youkai have homes, so I guess she's working to maintain hers. She probably needs other things, though most of it probably just be luxury, since youkai don't require much (if any) food, water and other such crucial life products. She may be saving for something in Kourindou though.

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #976 on: January 20, 2011, 01:02:39 AM »

obvs gonna start a franchise

« Reply #977 on: January 20, 2011, 01:09:09 AM »
Random train of thought, but:
Can Rumia canonically put her arms down? Or does she just like being "crucified?"

The wiki says she can't touch her amulet, but I'm still curious.

日巫子

• It's a cheer up charm!
  • ふそそそそそ
    • Hydrangeamaiden
« Reply #978 on: January 20, 2011, 01:25:17 AM »
It looks like her sprite does so in EoSD, so I guess she can.

I always imagined that when they said she can't touch her amulet, it meant she'd get burned or repelled from it, like two magnets that don't attract.

☆ Check my profile for links to my sites! ☆
[21:12] <OneLoveOnePurvis> *Black as hell and bitter as love. That is coffee.*
[17:42] <Amra> Himiko's one of the people that's really cute but sometimes art shifts into like hard jojo-style
[17:42] <Amra> as she does something out of character

« Reply #979 on: January 20, 2011, 07:35:28 AM »
Yeah, nothing in canon answers the question of how does it work.

« Reply #980 on: January 25, 2011, 06:18:52 PM »
I've been searching the site and I haven't seen this question, so...:

What are the Touhou comics that have been released, and do they have any relevance to the actual Gensokyo time-line?
One more thing too, is there a site I can at least read them?

« Reply #981 on: January 25, 2011, 06:32:06 PM »
I've been searching the site and I haven't seen this question, so...:

What are the Touhou comics that have been released, and do they have any relevance to the actual Gensokyo time-line?
One more thing too, is there a site I can at least read them?

Everything:
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Template:Navbox_Print_Works

Whatthe

• Still distracted
« Reply #982 on: January 25, 2011, 06:39:38 PM »
Timeline:
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Gensokyo_Timeline

Also, on the subject of the timeline, I was wondering:
How do we know that TH12.8 occurs chronologically between TH10 and TH10.5?

LHCling

• Metang@
  • ( 。゚ 3っ   )っ
« Reply #983 on: January 25, 2011, 08:40:14 PM »
From this we have:
It is a continuation of a story in Strange and Bright Nature Deity
So we have a year to work with here. Although this in itself is vague, it was after a certain point in SaBND (see here), hence why it was placed in that year and not the next, and since Lily White and Black you cosplay fetishist makes an appearance, it's possible to conclude that it happened at some point in Spring.
[16:25] <Kuruminut> Shut up MS Word, "fangirlism" is totally a word
<>
[07:59] <Sapz> ベーティさんは馬鹿っぽいだろう、この「っぽい」好き者

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #984 on: January 27, 2011, 10:06:25 PM »
Quote from: Touhou Wiki
In her confrontation with Mokou, Alice points out that the soul is made invincible. This, along with Yuyuko's and Yukari's scenario in Imperishable Night, makes it seem that the Hourai Elixir itself isn't a power that keeps one immortal, but makes one an existence completely independent of even the concept of reality, thus making one not subject to the bounds of life, death, or even manipulation, although the pain of injuries can still be felt. This medicine indeed makes one truly invincible, and forced to live out their existence forever. It's no wonder why this medicine is forbidden even to the mysterious lunarians.

I've read somewhere else that Hourai Elixir causes you to be unable to 'change', but I can't find where this is stated at the moment. Kimiko talked about it a few times too, theorizing it would cause a female to become infertile too, since pregnancy is change.
By extension this would mean an Hourai Immortal is immune to curses and magical manipulation too. This is a big plus, but would that mean the immortal is incapable to willingly shapeshift or adjust their body? That positive magical enhancements have little to no effect on them? If an immortal wanted to change their appearance via magic, would that be impossible? And if a youkai drank the Elixir, would that cause the youkai to be stuck in the form it had at the moment forever? Or revert to their true forms and be locked in that form forever? If a youkai had their wings or extra limbs hidden at the time it took the Elixir, would they be unable to make them appear again?

Ryuu

• time to press r again
« Reply #985 on: January 28, 2011, 01:15:46 AM »
I've read somewhere else that Hourai Elixir causes you to be unable to 'change', but I can't find where this is stated at the moment. Kimiko talked about it a few times too, theorizing it would cause a female to become infertile too, since pregnancy is change.
By extension this would mean an Hourai Immortal is immune to curses and magical manipulation too. This is a big plus, but would that mean the immortal is incapable to willingly shapeshift or adjust their body? That positive magical enhancements have little to no effect on them? If an immortal wanted to change their appearance via magic, would that be impossible? And if a youkai drank the Elixir, would that cause the youkai to be stuck in the form it had at the moment forever? Or revert to their true forms and be locked in that form forever? If a youkai had their wings or extra limbs hidden at the time it took the Elixir, would they be unable to make them appear again?

by the reasoning you stated, they could be affected by curses/manipulation that affect the space around them and not them directly. the same works for positive things. like if sakuya and mokou were in the same party, sakuya could slow time for her team as it is effecting time/space and not mokou's body.

as for shapeshifting, that would most likely be dependent on the youkai in question and the method of shapeshifting. for example, if reisen became immortal she could still probably make you hallucinate her into whatever she wants.

« Reply #986 on: January 28, 2011, 06:53:23 AM »
I'm actually not sure it works on youkai; for one thing, 1. youkai are already effectively immortal, and 2. none of the youkai-characters in IN even consider the possibility of using it themselves, just their partners using it. With the possible exception of Yuyuko ("Eeek, Youmu, I'm scared of what might happen if I eat her!" "... then don't eat her!")

I admit that my "stops any and all change" wasn't really based on any official material, IIRC; I just took "okay, the Hourai elixir does all these different things; what category do they all fall under?" and the pregnancy thing was a logical extension of that.

« Reply #987 on: January 28, 2011, 07:05:59 AM »
1. youkai are already effectively immortal
Extended life-span does not equal immortality.

OkashiiKisei

« Reply #988 on: January 28, 2011, 08:52:11 AM »
by the reasoning you stated, they could be affected by curses/manipulation that affect the space around them and not them directly. the same works for positive things. like if sakuya and mokou were in the same party, sakuya could slow time for her team as it is effecting time/space and not mokou's body.

as for shapeshifting, that would most likely be dependent on the youkai in question and the method of shapeshifting. for example, if reisen became immortal she could still probably make you hallucinate her into whatever she wants.

Ah yes. Illusions could still work. Nue's ability to hide something's true form would also still be effective, since it is an illusion, not her actually changing. And apparently it was just an observation of Kimiko regarding the change part. Though, it is said it makes one immune to direct manipulation, but now I start to wonder if youkai shapeshifting really counts as manipulation. Shapeshifting is a natural ability for almost all youkai, so maybe they intend the word 'manipulation' as using curses and manipulating magic on someone (like Yuyuko's ability for example). And, to a certain extent, the little girl disguises of the youkai already are illusions to a certain extent. I'll just assume youkai shapeshifting and illusions are still possible, but other forms of shapeshifting might be harder.

Extended life-span does not equal immortality.

What he said. The majority of youkai have a long but still limited life-span. Only the powerful ones can be rendered incapable of dying through age (Byakuren, likely Yuuka, Yukari and Utsuho too, maybe the devas) though it depends on race too (Remilia, Flandre). That still doesn't mean they're truly incapable of dying. Youkai can regenerate from most fatal injuries so conventional weaponry is ineffective against them, but powerful magic/spiritual energy and enchanted weaponry can perma-kill them. If a youkai is tough enough they can take a few blows and fix themselves up with rest eventually thanks to their regeneration, but if the blow is powerful enough it's game over. Yukari and other reality manipulating youkai could perhaps achieve some form of true immortality though.
Though, I think I read somewhere that the goal of the majority of youkai is to achieve immortality, which indeed makes it odd why none of the youkai party members attempted eating Mokou's liver. They might have excuses for it though. Remilia is already quite hard to kill, and might think Hourai immortality would be redundant, Yukari might already be immortal, Yuyuko is, well, DEAD, and Alice might just not be interested in immortality.

Maybe true youkai immortality is possible in a way that doesn't require Hourai Elixir, but oh well.

This all does create a paradox though. Youkai are stated to be capable of dying of age eventually, but powerful ones can overcome that age limit. Youkai also grow more powerful and wiser as they grow older. So, doesn't that mean a youkai automatically becomes semi-immortal eventually? Or is a spell/skill required? Why would they talk about an age limit if an old enough youkai becomes immortal eventually anyway? So confusing....
« Last Edit: January 28, 2011, 09:02:14 AM by OkashiiKisei »

« Reply #989 on: January 28, 2011, 11:43:41 AM »
http://en.touhouwiki.net/wiki/Imperishable_Night/Translation/Magic_Team%27s_Extra

Alice:  Not really. I'm just interested in souls.
I thought they might allow me to make independent dolls.

Besides, I don't think the elixir would work on youkai, would it?

I guess that kinda answers the question.  The youkai in IN don't try to take the elixir because they aren't even sure it'll work on them (or at least, Alice isn't.  Yukari and Yuyuko probably never needed it in the first place, which really just leaves Remilia, who seems to think of herself as immortal anyways since she was primarily interested in getting Sakuya to take it so Sakuya could serve her forever.  Remilia's probably too self-absorbed to really consider her own death in that regards)