Author Topic: [GG, Bard loses] Free! Mafia  (Read 45477 times)

Re: [Day 3] Free! Mafia
« Reply #210 on: August 19, 2015, 10:57:57 PM »
I still don't think massclaim will get us very far, but if it at least gets some conversation going - albeit roleshens; I've already stated why that won't help here - I can hardly object to that. I'm a one-shot Partymaker, which gives me the ability to nullify any special day effects that come up naturally throughout the day in the first 24 hours. Doesn't interfere with player-instilled events, just what the mod puts up at the beginning of the day.
More like PartyPooper amiright.
In any case, Shalako, is there any reason beyond LYLO that's convincing you that massclaiming would help here?
You mean why would the girl who can check if people lie about their roles be for a Massclam?

« Reply #211 on: August 19, 2015, 11:08:45 PM »
As a result of ActionDan failing to comply with Moderator request, I have decided to eliminate him from the game! ActionDan was Vanilla Town.
3. Rules do not inhibit you from employing specific strategies, which is to mean that you do not need to meet any posting requirements. There are no requirements to post length, post content or post frequency. There is no consequence for refusing to post for an entire Day Phase or, in fact, the entire game.
:wat:

Bardiche

• Mafia: Worst Game Ever
« Reply #212 on: August 19, 2015, 11:22:11 PM »
ActionDan's modkill has nothing to do with his posting frequency.

« Reply #213 on: August 19, 2015, 11:31:46 PM »
Okie Dokie

Now where we were.
The guy who is anti-massclaim because he knows Roles are Null but did it anyways I think?

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #214 on: August 19, 2015, 11:39:11 PM »
Considering ActionDan lied about having a post restriction to excuse his nonexistence and fakeclaimed being the source of the night talk, but was vanilla town, I think he's a subject we can leave until postgame (or maybe never)

At this point, I think I want some info from Serela, first and foremost. Why did you feel it was better to have simply CF7 as a lynch choice for Rei, as opposed to chasing down another possible scum candidate? I understand unvoting Raitaki in your 168 post, but wouldn't it be more productive for town to at least question other possible scum candidates? Or did you feel opening up the choices for possible lynch candidates would be detrimental and just extend the deadline beyond what was necessary?
My other possible scum were Raitaki and maybe Kilga. Kilga was awkward to read due to shenanigans but his d2 posts seemed good to me, and Raitaki's already been over and oops he's dead now so that ship has sailed >.> Thanks scum for killing my scum suspects though :D (not sarcastic, that's legitimately a cool thing to happen). So then I was kinda like, welp. I'd forgotten about Dan entirely until he was brought up again, because Dan did not exist, and this made him easy to forget about >_> As soon as I recalled him, and saw he still didn't exist, there's your answer to the second part of the question; I -did- want another scum candidate as possible lynchings as said d2 when I tried to talk people into voting onto Dan, because the day would flow better and more usefully after the 24h to deadline mark if there were options, but it was too late and no one was around (or motivated) to do so apart from people who were needed to keep CF7 on the table.

...w-wait but if Raitaki and Dan are both dead and town then who is the scum
crap. :C I'm going to have to reread the game aren't I

Also I am Beloved! Since it's lylo, I'm not beloved anymore, though. RIP. And before anyone asks, Bard told me on day start yesterday that yes, I would have needed 4 votes to be a lynch candidate instead of 3. And for the other question, even if it might not have terribly good outlooks on usefulness it's still a good thing in general to massclaim at lylo. Unless maybe it was a really early lylo and you still have 3 scum left or something? As everything in mafia, situational, but overall it's usually good
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
« Reply #215 on: August 20, 2015, 01:02:18 AM »
Patorikku: The point of a massclaim isn't to point at specific roles and go "okay that role is definitely town/scum", it's to get as much information on the table as possible. People's approaches to their claimed role can be analyzed for how realistically their play would be given their role, or perhaps a fakeclaim can be busted by other pre-existing information. (I fucked up a fakeclaim this way in another Bard game of years ago, for example.) In addition, people are locked into their claims once they're made, so assuming a scum lynch, abnormal behavior going into the next night/day will be all the more suspicious.

Shalako: I'm used to LYLO massclaims being done in an order generally accepted by the remaining players. Typically, we want the most suspicious players to claim first, because it makes them less likely to fakeclaim (since they could get counterclaimed by someone going after them). I didn't expect the claims to start coming immediately. :v

Anyway, I'm a Moodswinger. I have a one-shot use of an ability that completely stops the NK in exchange for turning the following day into a popularity contest (instead of a lynch). We all vote on who we don't want to see lynched, and the winner(s) is/are immune to votes on the following day. Since we don't actually gain a game tempo from it, and the popularity mechanic seemed fairly pointless (if we don't want someone to be lynched, we can just...not vote for them). I decided to save it for tonight in the (unlikely but possible) event of a scum lynch rush today; with 5 living players going into tonight, the game wouldn't actually end if the NK didn't go through, and someone else might be able to do something about the situation after I stopped the NK. Looks like that plan is scrapped, though.

Ended up at my folks' place for dinner tonight so I haven't had the chance to sit down an analyze anything yet, sorry.
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Patorikku

• Weird country-bumpkin city-boy hybrid
  • (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #216 on: August 20, 2015, 02:19:11 AM »
More like PartyPooper amiright.
r00d

Anyway, I don't feel pseudo-RP fluff this late in the game is helping anyone here. I made my point that I felt it'd help by putting info down on the table, so if you feel my change of position on the issue is too flippant, then that's fine by me. I'd rather keep moving forward toward figuring out who scum is, so if you have a differing opinion on why one would massclaim, then please enlighten us.

Anyway, I like Kilg's answer to my query. There's no real intent to misdirect, from what I can see, and there's no immediate logical error. I dunno if I feel as good about Serela's answers, though. I'll analyze in more detail when I get back home and don't have to post by mobile.

Oh look, I got an image in my signature. Finally.
Click here for Tumblr nonsense.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
  • but I don't exactly hate that
« Reply #217 on: August 20, 2015, 03:14:01 AM »
I don't think I am comfortable with the game.

There are too many commited players and too little time for communication. The problen here is that this commitment cannot be identified with a simple litmus test of scumtells. What we need to actually sort out if there's any contrary in intent, is time for people to talk. I don't have problems with Dan being removed as the lynch wouldve likely went that way depending on the discussions that couldve been. But I am just feel that its very demanding and counterproductive to punish town by stripping away their time alongside because we aren't responsible for whatever atrocities Dan commited behind the scenes.

I don't know who to lynch, basically. Honestly,I can say if I had to choose who I would lynch between Shalako or Kilga, since its rather clear to me one of them is scum, I will bank it on Shalako because of his toxicity and sudden drop in activity. Still, my impressive of Serela still hasn't improved very much and I am sick of giving him a free pass at this point.

Of course, I can also entertain the idea Nagisa is scum, based on how apparently town stuff at early isn't that telling anymore, because we dont have time to confirm those alleged claims of townreads and whatnot. But due to a lack of meta, I'm being the next most townest player aside from taki and posting so logically my paranoia ultimately falls back to 'too town for town', so I dont want to go down that line.

For me, its either Serela or Shalako for the day.
>Link to my Steam Account: Add me! http://steamcommunity.com/id/9898981-02
--------------------------------------

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #218 on: August 20, 2015, 03:15:24 AM »
For some reason my post got completely screwed up, edit below

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #219 on: August 20, 2015, 03:17:22 AM »
I don't think I am comfortable with the game.

There are too many commited players and too little time for communication. The problem here is that this commitment cannot be identified with a simple litmus test of scumtells. What we need to actually sort out if there's any contrary in intent, is time for people to talk. I don't have problems with Dan being removed as the lynch wouldve likely went that way depending on the discussions that couldve been. But I just feel that its very demanding and counterproductive to punish town by stripping away their time to discuss since we aren't responsible for whatever atrocities Dan commited behind the scenes.

I don't know who to lynch, basically. Honestly, I would lynch between Shalako or Kilga, since its rather clear to me one of them is scum, I will bank it on Shalako because of his toxicity and sudden drop in activity. Still, my impression of Serela still hasn't improved very much and I am sick of giving him a free pass at this point.

Of course, I can also entertain the idea Nagisa is scum, based on how apparently towntells at early can be argued as no longer telling anymore, because we dont have time to confirm those alleged claims of townreads and whatnot. But due to a lack of meta, him being the next most townest player aside from taki and posting so logically my paranoia ultimately falls back to 'too town for town', so I dont want to go down that line.

For me, its either Serela or Shalako for the day.
Morw when back from work

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #220 on: August 20, 2015, 03:48:11 AM »
Stripping away our time? Today was (most likely?) lylo even if Dan hadn't been modkilled, town's numbers didn't really get any worse tbh, if anything it's good because I totally would have been all over the Dan lynch considering my other scumreads are dead :S I'm mostly only posting to say that because I'm super tired (I managed to readjust my bedtime down to midnight instead of the awfulness of staying up to 1:30am all the time like I was last game), rereading and stuff is for tomorrow
<mauvecow> see this is how evil works in reality, it just wears you down with bureaucracy until you don't care anymore

« Reply #221 on: August 20, 2015, 04:02:19 AM »
r00d
It's because you stop the parties!
Anyway, I don't feel pseudo-RP fluff this late in the game is helping anyone here. I made my point that I felt it'd help by putting info down on the table, so if you feel my change of position on the issue is too flippant, then that's fine by me. I'd rather keep moving forward toward figuring out who scum is, so if you have a differing opinion on why one would massclaim, then please enlighten us.
Well I mean.
Who do you think is Scum if you are so pro-moving forward?
If you are so anti-Massclaim
Why would you claim then?
sudden drop in activity.
What part of I post less on Weekends is hard to understand?
Also lol Toxicity

« Reply #222 on: August 20, 2015, 04:03:41 AM »
Stripping away our time? Today was (most likely?) lylo even if Dan hadn't been modkilled, town's numbers didn't really get any worse tbh,
I didn't even consider Dan was lying about being the Night Action Talker, but no one has claimed it.
Was it just...another special thing that happens?

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #223 on: August 20, 2015, 04:41:11 AM »
No, Serela, what I meant by that is time for discussion. The flip is important, yes, but emphasis should be placed on player interactions and whether they look town or scum. Dan getting modkilled sucks because now we lost pages worth of potential discussion material over whoever to lynch, which, even if it ended up also being Dan, wouldve been at least insightful and have generated content. I for one probably wouldve defended against a Dan lynch because he's just a habitual degenerate player and I don't think that's indicative of his alignment

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #224 on: August 20, 2015, 06:39:13 AM »
dear mother of god why am I up I just said I fixed my sleep schedule, this is what happens when I work forever five days in a row

I'm not sure why you talk like a Dan lynch would be a useful thing when it's lylo and he was town :S That'd be like, a game over. Also it'd be kind of mind boggling to defend against a Dan lynch; for one, Dan usually posts -some- as town (granted it's still often a woeful amount), but in all his scum games he basically does not exist, at all, e.g. what happened here where he only posted n1(barely) and dropped off the planet d1 and d2. This looked like a scum!dan game, and past that, if he's not posting at all period then even with his meta there is absolutely no reason to think he's town over scum, and I'd rather lynch that than risk letting him win a scum game with ultralurking. (My viewpoint may be different if I had any notable scumreads, but there aren't, so he had no real competition.)

"We lost pages of potential discussion over who to lynch!" Actually, I think Dan being alive would do the opposite. Even if you defended him, I think there's a good chance he would have dominated the lynch pool; I can't imagine anyone else would be defending him, and the only thing combatting it would be people perhaps having a harder read on Shalako or me. "Emphasis should be placed on interactions and whether they look town or scum!" Talking about a Dan lynch would involve neither of those things, because he did not post and therefore had practically none. With Dan gone, we have -more- productive discussions to be had about who to lynch... because none of the candidates are going to be super easy sells that everyone agrees on for reasons that need no elaboration.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #225 on: August 20, 2015, 06:41:18 AM »
honestly most of that post hardly matters because it's talking about semantics and a person who is already dead

but I sort of like talking about such things anyway

and hell if I'm rereading and doing critical thinking at 2:41 am dear god okay I'm putting in my contacts to go to bed

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #226 on: August 20, 2015, 08:26:47 AM »
Serela, please enlighten me as to how exactly is town having one mislynch before LyLo better than having another additional day of discussion. And pray also address how the hell Dan not posting directly makes discussions involving other players 'useless', when everyone else are outputting such useful content, and if they contradict themselves, become a very useful scumtell. The modkill of Dan was harmful because it removes the buffer zone for town and forces much higher stakes.

@Kilg curious as to why you didnt use your ability when its a hardconform role whIch is unlikely to be replicated and could generate additional time and info, both of which town desperately needed

« Reply #227 on: August 20, 2015, 08:46:21 AM »
There a reason you've posted several times without claiming?

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #228 on: August 20, 2015, 09:19:54 AM »
1. I am not pressured to claim, withholding my claim opens up possibility for me to cc, despite roles being harder to balance here, there could be a conflict of roles for town and scum

2. I am not a lynch candidate. My claim will not improve the gamestate nor provide information in any insightful context, if anything, Shalako, you are the one who should claim

3. Claims are of inherent low information value due to the nature of this games design

Tldr I stand to lose more than potential gain if I were to claim, so I didn't, also you should claim

« Reply #229 on: August 20, 2015, 10:14:19 AM »
Is this some kinda Joke

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #230 on: August 20, 2015, 10:44:53 AM »
@Kilg curious as to why you didnt use your ability when its a hardconform role whIch is unlikely to be replicated and could generate additional time and info, both of which town desperately needed

The game stagnated enough already with one extra day/night period of no deaths. I didn't really see how doing that to town again would be all that beneficial.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #231 on: August 20, 2015, 12:13:17 PM »
Honestly if Kilga used a role like that I would have groaned and gone back to sleep for 3 days.

Also Rei did you miss the part where we were in LyLo either way? :S I already mentioned that. Game is 6v2 with no deaths, 4v2 after one lynch/nk set, 2v2 game over after a second.

DNAbc

• mafia is suffering
« Reply #232 on: August 20, 2015, 02:22:25 PM »
I don't think I even agree with the statement 'less discussion is good because game is stagnating'. The only major difference of today to D1 was just less Shalako and Kilg arguing, and D2 was unmemorable in general just because CF7 got tunneled on and people on his wagon didnt really try to look at anyone else. Which is why gamestate is subdued. The decision to elect a TC,  then deciding its redundant anyway and only allowing one lynch option was also demotivating for town because time is wasted, especially for me, because it feels like I got betrayed. Majority expectation was in me being able enough to lead the game or at least to be in a state of power. But it felt like my dedication to the game was mocked and its irritating.

By extension, I also don't really get why Serela is the one whining about this here, when its clear he had a hand in forcing me to lynch only CF7 and didn't even give me the option to choose someone else before the 48 hour deadline, I wouldve gladly switched over to Dan or even Shalako if it was possible because it wouldve meant I can actually exercise my privilege as TC and follow my own read. Not without mentioning I also named those as other potential lynch candidates. I don't get instead why he decided to just ignore my case on him entirely instead of just responding to and convince me to follow my other leads.

Basically, everything here feels very hindsight-ish. Also Shalako was practically nonexistent aside from the spat. I don't recall who that is he wants to lynch, I don't recall what other significant cases he made other than very specific and brief questionings he never follow up upon. If Serelas problem is that everything he does do not follow town play optimization, I can't even perform such analysis on Shalako in the first place because there's nothing. These are the two people whom I would want to see lynched.

Side note, theoretically I can pick a bone with Kilg and his playstyle for seemingly trying to dismantle the TC function by forcing one lynch option because I have expressed disinterest in a CF7 lynch. Realistically, I can't though because I am a very methodical player, I see that there are much scummier people who do not have the backing nor justification of a well defined meta (ie Serela and Shalako), I see people who are generally town but also has no well defined meta(Nagisa and Kilg). I thusly don't see the merit in me deciding I should lynch them instead of the aforementioned scummy people.

I also want to hear cases from everyone, and preferably also your views on the TC election. Why did you feel its acceptable to vote me in a position of power then proceeding to tie my hands anyway, and why in specific do you think of the gamestate, I personally don't feel it as stagnating more like scum is trying to discourage players from posting because posts mean more content, more content means new insights, new sights lead to conflict and validation, and validation means commitment and potential contradictions. Also known as scumslips.

Tldr, get active people

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #233 on: August 20, 2015, 02:30:16 PM »
Well I mean.
Who do you think is Scum if you are so pro-moving forward?
If you are so anti-Massclaim
Why would you claim then?
I'd think my push to get information from Serela would make that pretty clear. I've made clear that second scum is between you and Kilg, and while it's entirely possible that both of you could be scum and your D1 argument was played out to deceive town, I'd rather not let Serela slip by with a free pass, especially with the lackluster response to the argument D1. It honestly seems as if there's an intent to avoid unnecessary attention from placing an opinion on the series of events. Beyond Serela, your push on me holds some water, as my switch of stance was a bit sudden, but you've also stayed reserved on placing down a clear and concise judgement on why my sudden change of stance seems improper, and it also seems as if you're avoiding directly answering my queries. Why not tell me why you feel massclaiming will stand to advantage town, rather than just opt out with stating it's typical play in LYLO? Certainly you don't just callously claim whenever asked, and at least consider what town stands to gain from such an act.

And I'm fairly certain that I answered your second question in part when I claimed: I felt it would be good to start up conversation. To continue on that point, I was fairly certain you'd respond with suspicion, so at the very least, I could observe your posts and gather what sort of intention you may have for starting an argument with me, whether it be to find out if I could be scum or to pass the blame and get a lynch on me. Right now, it definitely feels like the latter, as you seem to be putting pressure on me whilst covering yourself up and avoiding my questions with fluff and half-baked responses and queries.

Cut by 1.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #234 on: August 20, 2015, 02:41:35 PM »
By extension, I also don't really get why Serela is the one whining about this here, when its clear he had a hand in forcing me to lynch only CF7 and didn't even give me the option to choose someone else before the 48 hour deadline, I wouldve gladly switched over to Dan or even Shalako if it was possible because it wouldve meant I can actually exercise my privilege as TC and follow my own read. Not without mentioning I also named those as other potential lynch candidates. I don't get instead why he decided to just ignore my case on him entirely instead of just responding to and convince me to follow my other leads.
what

what

what

I don't even know where to respond because everything you just said is the opposite of what happened and it makes me sad and confused :c

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #235 on: August 20, 2015, 02:42:53 PM »
Currently at work, that scumpairing investigation will unfortunately have to wait until this evening.

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #236 on: August 20, 2015, 02:43:44 PM »
>I would have gladly switched over to Dan but Serela wouldn't let me
uhm
first where was I stopping you
second I tried to get a Dan lynch going as soon as someone brought him up and I remembered he existed, unfortunately that was only an hourish before soft-deadline but saying I was trying to take away your options seems like a really weird conclusion from what happened

>I don't get where he instead decided to ignore my case on him entirely
what
but I responded to your case
you responded to my response
this was a thing that happened I don't get it

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #237 on: August 20, 2015, 02:47:59 PM »
I'm also not whining about anything I just think your logic via the Dan stuff is untrue, partially because I'm pretty sure Dan would have been lynched today and thus we'd have lost, and partially because I don't know how consolidating onto a nonexistant player slot for a lynch constitutes a good discussion that somehow we can't beat the quality of with the lurker gone.

Patorikku

• (ง ?̀_?́)ง
« Reply #238 on: August 20, 2015, 02:52:33 PM »
I also want to hear cases from everyone, and preferably also your views on the TC election. Why did you feel its acceptable to vote me in a position of power then proceeding to tie my hands anyway, and why in specific do you think of the gamestate, I personally don't feel it as stagnating more like scum is trying to discourage players from posting because posts mean more content, more content means new insights, new sights lead to conflict and validation, and validation means commitment and potential contradictions. Also known as scumslips.

Tldr, get active people
At the time, I was fairly certain CF7 was scum due to the lackluster play that never really seemed to show any commitment to the actual state of the game. I fell into this trap last game of just full-tilt attacking one player without properly considering other possible scum candidates that could slip by untouched, and it's possible with my effort on Shalako that I'm actually falling into that now, so I'm going to reread Serela and Kilg's posts so I don't just give them a free pass and possibly cost the game for town. That full-tilt attack is also why I ended up disappearing during the latter half of D2, as well, since I was well assured that CF7 was getting lynched. I just got overconfident in my judgement.

In hindsight, though, I guess yesterday would've been a good time to use my ability just to dissolve that nonsense...

My point in the second paragraph about starting conversation in my last post comes up in response to your second query. I'm in full agreement that it'd help town to have some actual conversation going right about now. I don't feel I can elaborate on the point any better than you did, though.

Cut by 4

Serela

• Moon Tiara Magic
  • VIA PIZZA SLINGING
« Reply #239 on: August 20, 2015, 03:00:02 PM »
For the record, I've done some rereading, but everyone is town and oh my god why did all my scumreads have to die, even if they were town at least I've have been able to have useful opinions. ;__________; I may need to reconsider the reasons I cleared Shalako as town because the game is modconfirmed to not be 8 townies.