Author Topic: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread  (Read 99296 times)

commandercool

• alter cool
Re: Are You a Squid Now? - Splatoon Thread
« Reply #240 on: July 18, 2015, 03:37:54 AM »
Can you actually cheat in the game? I really liked the tinted shades too, just spent two shells on it for the slots. Mostly because when I first started out playing Splatoon I used it until I got the gas mask.

I've been told by a few different people that there was briefly an exploit where you could get tons of free sea snails. I don't know if that's true, but people talk about it.

I thought people used it mainly for its Main Ability, but I don't find it fresh at all  :V so I've held off getting one of my own even until now-

I think it's super ugly.
I made a PADHerder. It's probably out of date though.

« Reply #241 on: July 18, 2015, 04:31:44 AM »
Noooo ... but my hat ... it's so cool you guys just don't understand ;_;
But yes, Ink Saver (Main) Is a really good skill to have in the grand scheme of things, so that's also a relief to somebody who really loves the design of it.

Keep in mind that Statistical improbability does not equal to impossible. I did eventually roll a pair of Moto Boots (Ink Resistance) to have three "Run Speed Up"s. Of course it took a majority of my sea snails and my entire bank roll at the time to do so. These boots are really useful for my weapon selections, even if I would rather something that looks like hiking boots.

Also Whoooo Splatfest has started (For the Americans at least) Of course I'm too busy spending time with somebody important to me right now, but ... splatfest just started but spending time but my team needs but I want to spend time with ... aaugh!
I'll put in a more concentrated effort later tonight on splatfest.

Bio

• resident walker
« Reply #242 on: July 18, 2015, 04:54:24 AM »
You could do some stuff with the local file containing your rank information so if you lost rank points you could just replace the file with your back up and end up never losing points. That was a thing,  don't know if it still is.

« Reply #243 on: July 18, 2015, 05:00:20 AM »
Your rank isn't really ... important enough to justify backing up saves of it, though I guess some people will care more about looking good than respecting or rejecting the system.

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #244 on: July 18, 2015, 05:08:22 AM »
What a great start to splatfest, 5 (I've lost count, really) losses in a streak. Haven't even won once yet. why do people spend time grouping at the lower part of saltspray rig a colossal waste of time /wringes head in hands

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #245 on: July 18, 2015, 05:15:45 AM »
Keep in mind that Statistical improbability does not equal to impossible. I did eventually roll a pair of Moto Boots (Ink Resistance) to have three "Run Speed Up"s. Of course it took a majority of my sea snails and my entire bank roll at the time to do so. These boots are really useful for my weapon selections, even if I would rather something that looks like hiking boots.

With a huge 30% chance for on-brand abilities, it's not actually that unlikely at all. 2.7%, if I remember my statistics (and I totally might not). Up from a .0002% chance of three matching abilities at the base odds.

« Reply #246 on: July 18, 2015, 05:56:20 AM »
What a great start to splatfest, 5 (I've lost count, really) losses in a streak. Haven't even won once yet. why do people spend time grouping at the lower part of saltspray rig a colossal waste of time /wringes head in hands

Port Mackerel seems to be pretty bad luck for me tonight, on that note; there was one match we had where we ended up just standing on spawn and trying to build up specials because the enemy team was spawncamping so thoroughly. And they decided to end the match with two inkstrikes directly on our heads just because they could. orz

Doesn't help that my ~*~inkbrush distraction tactics~*~ (read: just paint a trail all the way up to their base and steal their side paths) failed to distract anyone for long in other matches. :(

Also I managed to score more points using said inkbrush than several other rollers and Tentatek Splattershots; there's something seriously wrong there.

« Reply #247 on: July 18, 2015, 06:41:08 AM »
I'm currently 5-1 right now, and having a lot of fun charging in and pressuring the other team's base. My one loss was the team doing the same to us.

and now I'm up to 7-7. *Sigh* I really need to quit right now and come back later.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 07:15:23 AM by WHMZakeri »

pasu

• what are they talking about!
  • medi for 14.5 never ;_;
« Reply #248 on: July 18, 2015, 07:25:03 AM »
I blame the losses on the lag (I'm in SG/SEA and US console so I'm constantly connecting to US squids orz) Decided to take a break after reaching Defender title.

Speaking of losing really badly, two days ago before splatfest I was playing in the skatepark when we got spawncamped really badly because one of our team members dced, and one of my teammates just starts spamming ZL and jump on the spawn point. I ended up mimicking him trying to taunt the enemy team  :derp: So we naturally lost, but I found it amusing at least

i should probably get to changing my sig but im too lazy

art thread / yukkuri quest thread

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #249 on: July 18, 2015, 07:42:59 AM »
TIME FOR SPLATFEST WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH.

Edit:
F**** I forgot it starts at 19:00

TIME TO LEVEL SOME GEAR THEN.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 09:13:18 AM by Helepolis »

Tamashii Kanjou

• If you didn't quite already know...
  • I am the leader of TCF <3
    • TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #250 on: July 18, 2015, 11:00:00 AM »
Yeah, Hele, we Europeans have to wait a bit longer before ours start. {For me, it'll begin at 6pm.} It'll be fun, that's for sure; shirt is already maxed and has a decent skill set, so it all comes down to the teams I get paired with~ XD

ふねん1

• Scientific editor
  • If you're alive, you can always keep moving.
« Reply #251 on: July 18, 2015, 11:11:54 AM »
I was up real late watching EVO, so I figured I'd just join the Splatfest as soon as it opened and get it out of the way. Took three-and-a-half hours to get to Water Slide King, finishing with a Vibe of +19.5, thanks to a couple extended streaks with good teams. The first one had a pair of deadly rollers on it, but I ended up DC'ing on the results screen after a while. The second one wasn't as immediately "lethal", but eventually proved to be very successful. We didn't always have the strongest starts, but we seemed to be able to push through the enemy team near the end of the game (the only time it actually matters) fairly consistently. We only lost a small handful of matches together, two of them because the enemies ended up having three Inkzookas on their team lol. I was at 90/99 when I ended up DC'ing in the middle of a match due to insane lag (I lasted like half a minute without the ink on the ground updating), but thankfully I won both matches after that.

Currently I have no idea which team might be more popular based on actual matches. I didn't run into any Water Slide vs. Water Slide situations, but I also haven't seen anyone talking about the reverse. Then again, it's too early in the day for that to reasonably be happening, so I'll check back later. I did see a fair amount of N-Zap '89s and Octobrushes at least. I also find it amusing that the three stages are Saltspray Rig, Port Mackerel, and Bluefin Depot - i.e., three stages near water, when one team is "Water Slides". :V
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 11:14:00 AM by ふねん1 »
"Science is more than a body of knowledge. It's a way of thinking." - Carl Sagan

NEW AND IMPROVED YOUTUBE, now with 60 fps Touhou videos! Latest video update: WBaWC Lunatic/Extra no-miss no-bomb no-Roars no-Spirit-Strikes compilation.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #252 on: July 18, 2015, 12:01:46 PM »
I thought this started at midnight Pacific time so I went to sleep fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuck

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #253 on: July 18, 2015, 01:07:06 PM »
I'm booked up through two or three PM again, so I hope that doesn't end up mattering. I fully expect to be locked out of finishing the event again by my connection even though I'm hard-wired now, but we'll see later.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #254 on: July 18, 2015, 05:10:10 PM »
And it begins! Also, first fight in, first victory for Yuyuko and her eating fanatics~ XD

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #255 on: July 18, 2015, 05:14:49 PM »
Thought it would take a lot longer to hit the max than it did, now what

« Reply #256 on: July 18, 2015, 05:52:05 PM »
ANTI-KRAKEN HYPE!

I had a guy pop a kraken against me while I was using an inkbrush.
I managed to hold it back with my swipes until the kraken ended and I splatted her.

also yeah, the way scoring works, even if you never win a game you'll hit King/Eternal in 92 matches tops. Which means it can't possibly take more than five hours of playing to reach max rank.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 05:59:01 PM by WHMZakeri »

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #257 on: July 18, 2015, 06:20:27 PM »
6 hours of playing and I think I'm done for the day probably. Go team roller coasters!

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #258 on: July 18, 2015, 06:42:49 PM »
Time for splatfest.

Yuyuko-sama! Here I come.  I shall win Splatfest for you~

Will be streaming probably as much as possible. http://www.twitch.tv/helepolis_

Edit: 
SHIT. I forgot you cannot change clothing for Splatfest.  GDI I AM STUCK WITH MY DUMB SHIRT (because I was leveling gear).

Good thing I have Tenacity and Ink resistance shoes but the shoes are not proper rolled.  :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear: :ohdear:
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 06:45:18 PM by Helepolis »

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #259 on: July 18, 2015, 06:51:44 PM »
You can change shoes and hats, shirt is the only thing stuck. You can also reroll with Spike during the splatfest

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #260 on: July 18, 2015, 07:24:10 PM »
I needed my cold blooded shirt though for Splatfest. Oh well.

And no thanks on the rerolls. I want to save as much as possible for srsbss rerolling post Fest.

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #261 on: July 18, 2015, 07:27:20 PM »
I had to reroll my hat, three bomb distance increases, nothx

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #262 on: July 18, 2015, 07:34:45 PM »
Bomb distance is noticeable, but not really worth it for SZ and TC.

Edit: It is nearing 23:00 and matches started taking too long to load. Also own team vs own team occurring so I stopped playing.

Currently at Charismatic Eating Boy 10/99 or so and win:lose ratio is 4:1 or so. Expecting Team Yuyuko to win this by popularity and matches again.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 08:54:35 PM by Helepolis »

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #263 on: July 18, 2015, 09:18:38 PM »
The outfit I used for splatfest is different from the outfit I normally play in, and I'm not gonna touch this outfit again until the next splatfest

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #264 on: July 18, 2015, 09:58:50 PM »
Hmm I haven't had any in-game disconnects yet, but I can see the writing on the wall. Plenty of lobby connection failures and minor lag (although that could be on the other end). Fingers crossed, but it doesn't look great.

Tamashii Kanjou

• TCF's Gaming Channel
« Reply #265 on: July 18, 2015, 10:21:52 PM »
So, it's 11:20pm, midnight is approaching... but it's all over...

Yuyuko will be pleased!

Two Splatfests down, two Eternal titles. Massively assisted by the 11 match winning streak against the poor sleeping team~ XD

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #266 on: July 18, 2015, 10:52:57 PM »

(Sorry for the poor-quality image, I had to scramble to find my phone in my couch. Also, YOU BETTER BELIEVE I WENT FIVE AND TWO.)
« Last Edit: July 18, 2015, 10:56:58 PM by commandercool »

Rin Kagamine

• 核融合炉にさ / 飛び込んでみたい と思う
  • 真っ青な 光 包まれて奇麗
« Reply #267 on: July 19, 2015, 03:28:57 PM »
Team roller coasters bitch

commandercool

• alter cool
« Reply #268 on: July 19, 2015, 04:07:00 PM »
Made it to queen of summer roller coasters with no major problems. I had a great team for a run of eight or ten matches that could not lose. We knew we worked great together because I think each of us placed first on our team around an equal number of times.

The results were a surprise as well. I was pretty sure water slides would win on popularity, but I didn't think it would be that close. And the actual win disparity was surprisingly high. It's just short of being really statistically significant, but still notable. I wonder if a lot fewer people played this time which made the results tend toward the middle less, or if something about the choices attracted more good players to roller coasters?

« Reply #269 on: July 19, 2015, 04:20:08 PM »
"Yes! Now all we need is a 49% Win rate and we're got the whole splatfest bagged. Alright so-WHAT."
Well, having skill beat out popularity does take the sting off of the results. Still doesn't change the fact that I've lost both now.

The win disparity was still only by 3%. It still must have been by a lot of games considering it's tons of people playing matches over a 24 hour period, but it may still be true that having fewer matches gave each match more importance to the overall score.