Author Topic: OTAKON 2014 - AUGUST 8-10 - ALL CAPS EDITION  (Read 34142 times)

Kilgamayan

• True
  • The Real Treasure Is You
    • Let's Play Super Marisa World
Re: OTAKON 2014 - AUGUST 8-10 - ALL CAPS EDITION
« Reply #90 on: August 10, 2014, 04:07:08 AM »
Great guest player of AMaPaNi
[22:40:12] <Drake> "guys i donwloaded esod but its not workan"
[22:40:21] <Drake> REPORTED
[22:40:25] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> PROBATED
[22:40:30] <Drake> ORGASM
[22:40:32] <NaturallyOccurringChoja> FUCK YEAH

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #91 on: August 10, 2014, 03:16:17 PM »
Was stepped on at the dinner. No regrets.
SUBTLE REMINDER TO UPLOAD THE PICTURE ARASHI
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #92 on: August 10, 2014, 05:27:08 PM »
I didn't get to meet a lot of you this year :[ I got to see Arashi and the dorks at the panel but I didn't get to meet Amra or really introduce myself to the new people in the con block ]:

That and nobody recognized me in Nazrin. I get I'm the shadowy overlady of MotK but I thought I was a bigger attention whore >:(
« Last Edit: August 10, 2014, 05:30:06 PM by helvetica »

Twitter: @hipsterfont | Discord: helvetica#0573 | LINE: hipsterfont

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #93 on: August 10, 2014, 06:08:57 PM »
Checking in from the Delaware Welcome Center, since a few people expressed concern about my traveling situation (driving solo all the way back to northeast Massachusetts). Still going strong, but I'm gonna be ordering "lunch" to both optimize money expenditures and likelihood to keep me energized, just in case. Love Popeye's to death, but I don't need fried chicken tryptophan making me pass out on the New Jersey Turnpike or Garden State Parkway.

Preemptive JERSEY SUCKS for My Jewish Wolfwood and #Trianglesrisk.

[22:28:39] <Edible> Mafia would be a much easier game if we were playing "spot the asshole"

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #94 on: August 10, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »
Home~

Pretty much everything this year was delayed or otherwise confused, probably the worst otakon in terms of lack of staff preparedness.  Still had a blast though.

That and nobody recognized me in Nazrin. I get I'm the shadowy overlady of MotK but I thought I was a bigger attention whore >:(

I thought I was the shadowy one, you're the colorful frontperson :V

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #95 on: August 10, 2014, 09:53:18 PM »
In fairness to staff, the pre-reg issues were the BCC's fault. There was an unexpected and unusual lack of tech resources for con staff. Can't really speak for anything beyond that, though.

(Checking in from Montvale at the top of New Jersey!)

UncertainJakutten

• Then you should get out of the way when I tell you
  • Do you not trust my aim?
« Reply #96 on: August 10, 2014, 10:07:29 PM »
And home! Stepped on multiple people, sang lots of hymmnos. Pretty successful I'd say.

« Reply #97 on: August 10, 2014, 10:32:37 PM »
Posting that I was there.  Will be posting pictures somewhere soon (TM) hopefully.

I didn't know anyone, but maybe next time people will remember me (or at least my pictures).

Also, I guess I should post here more...

DarkslimeZ

• A REIMU SLIME APPEARED.
  • COMMAND?
    • Eternal Temporality
« Reply #98 on: August 10, 2014, 10:51:34 PM »
Home now, exhausted from the 3-hour drive back up to NJ. ~_~

oh, helvetica: I saw you at the panel, but right when the panel ended I got pulled away by other friends so I couldn't come up and say hi :( (or to anyone else for that matter)

Anyway, the giant styrofoam eyeballs on my Suwako hat managed to stay attached for the entire time I was there today, so thank goodness for that. I've had to re-glue them on a few times already... >_>

#icecoldwater

[14:12] <~BoredTSO> you need to have enough fissile material in a certain density to reach supercriticality

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #99 on: August 10, 2014, 11:49:30 PM »
I don't need fried chicken tryptophan making me pass out on the New Jersey Turnpike or Garden State Parkway.

Preemptive NO U SUCK

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #100 on: August 11, 2014, 01:13:32 AM »
Can anyone post out the list of games mentioned at the Touhou panel? I've taken the liberty of asking N-Forza to pick up the sequel to Dat Youmu Game but a lot of other games that were brought up were forgotten in the hustle and bustle of the con.

(Also, I'm tossing a recommendation to add the Fantasy Maiden Wars series to the RPG / Strategy list. Clone of Super Robot Wars games and the PV for the newest one looks amaaaaaazing)

Good con though. I'm pissed my email bugged out on me, causing me to not realize I won tickets to the Yoshiki concert.

« Reply #101 on: August 11, 2014, 02:25:52 AM »
SUBTLE REMINDER TO UPLOAD THE PICTURE ARASHI

I am super wiped, I'mma upload pics in the next few days though. Maybe not tomorrow, I work late Tuesday, but definitely Wednesday if not tomorrow.

p.s. it was fun but maybe a bit overwhelming for me, great to meet people but I might try to hit up one of the other cons with y'all next year instead. :V (But I definitely haven't ruled out Otakon again)

« Reply #102 on: August 11, 2014, 06:44:48 AM »
Official Murein status: not dead!  Loooong day of driving though, wugh.  Good to see you bunch as usual and again, thanks to all the photographers at all the shoots for being so cooperative.  I'll probably start uploading vids on Monday night as that's when I next have access to my secret Kappatechnology internet connection.

P.S. our car never touched New Jersey :3

P.P.S aaa why did everybody want a picture of me after the panel aaa i'm not used to being popular

Reddyne

• Give me love and money. I have the rest already.
  • Love and money coming from you is what I need.
« Reply #103 on: August 11, 2014, 12:05:45 PM »
Yeah totes thinking of an alternate route. 3 bits of stop-and-go before leaving MD. Accident in DE just before the bridge that slowed traffic for miles, 12 straight miles of the same crap in NJ, then backup from the start of NY through the Tappan Zee. Forget it.

Can't I be given a chance to take a break before going back to work? Lots of cool stuff happened and- I AM at work?!
:[

TA-DAAAAAAA! 61 blood donations and counting! 
Best Mile: 5:30
Best 5k: 18:07
Best Marathon: 3:23:16

Menorah Jams, Pham

• I'm allergic to sushi. Everytime I eat more than 80 sushis, I barf
  • donde esta la biblioteca
« Reply #104 on: August 11, 2014, 01:01:42 PM »
Checking in from the Delaware Welcome Center, since a few people expressed concern about my traveling situation (driving solo all the way back to northeast Massachusetts). Still going strong, but I'm gonna be ordering "lunch" to both optimize money expenditures and likelihood to keep me energized, just in case. Love Popeye's to death, but I don't need fried chicken tryptophan making me pass out on the New Jersey Turnpike or Garden State Parkway.

Yeah you shoulda hit me up for a steer around the traffic bro, I'd route you through West fucking Philly and then you can tell me how much Jersey sucks in comparison :V  Preemptive 1918 whatever the fuck that means but it's used by NYC to teabag Bahstin types so 1918!

Turnpike traffic actually wasn't as bad by the time we went up it - the drag from 7 to 8 was actually fast moving for what things are.  By next Otakon they should be done with the Turnpike construction and that should extend the split of the car/truck lanes all the way to exit 6, which I believe is the PA Turnpike.  That'll let trucks off onto 76, which will cut down on traffic elsewhere and allow easier exfiltration from Six Flags as well. 

Man, it's always fun seeing you crezzy bastiches.  Sorry we couldn't hang more, damnable circumstances, but I know peoples are going to MAGfest and let's hang out get trashed and not go to actual programming at Katsucon! 

Kilgamayan

• True
« Reply #105 on: August 11, 2014, 01:32:00 PM »
Hey, I did admit last night on IRC that the NJT (and GSP and I-95 in Merryland) were better than expected when I went through. Truth be told, the 13 miles of the Mass Pike that I traveled was the worst part of the trip, because I wasn't expecting it to be the mess that it was and I never figured out why traffic was so bad.

Reddyne

« Reply #106 on: August 11, 2014, 02:17:41 PM »
There was definitely a good bit of traffic flux. The accident in DE looked like it had happened about 30-60 minutes before we drove through there, so there was enough time to get the car and tow truck to the side of the road, but not enough time for the road to clear up. NJ was fine with the exception of that long band of traffic around 7 or 8 (yo holmes) which was bad for nearly a full hour. Meanwhile, MA was a bit busier than usual for a Sunday, but the roads were clear at 10-11 after Kilga had mucked through whatever had happened. At least NJ traffic netted a glimpse of a Toyota MR2 which led to a dangerous game of  taking pictures with one hand on the cell phone cam while clutching the wheel in the other while watching the wrong lane in stop-and-go traffic.

Also aw yeah MAGfest. Already giving the panel application form a look-see in case it is best for me to take the helm and will be checking to see whose interested in going/participating later today, assuming I can remain conscious.

Edible

• One part the F?hrer, one part the Pope
  • It's the inevitable return, baby
« Reply #107 on: August 11, 2014, 02:27:13 PM »
Are you considering a touhou panel at magfest?  It's certainly topical, given the sheer volume of arrange albums that exist...

Reddyne

« Reply #108 on: August 11, 2014, 03:19:22 PM »
Pretty much. It would be similar in structure and spirit with more of a focus on the games, fan games, and music since that seems to be what MAGfest seems to be about. Print works and doujins would get an honorable mention, but it doesn't fit with the rest as much. Bringing in either someone associated with Touhou Tuesday or Gensokyo Radio would be a great fit but the panel could survive if no one from either could be made available. Unfortunately I don't know the crowd there as well so I don't know how privy they are to the series and general fandom. It may influence whether it's mostly an introduction to the series or just sort of basking in the glory of the more nuanced aspects of the fandom. Throwing four friends new to the series at Amapani and tallying the amount of curse words and insults that arise from the experience might make for some humor though.

Sometime or another I'll get around to talking about how awesome it was to be around all you guys again, how nice it was to meet some of you even if we didn't talk much, and how much I missed some who couldn't make it. :(

Amraphenson

• The problem is, you're a friend that likes to talk!
  • ...well, I am too!
« Reply #109 on: August 11, 2014, 03:32:16 PM »

swag layout
Sugoiiii~
[23:02] <~Iced> You have sown the seeds of your own destruction Amra.
[23:20] <Stuffman> enjoy your personally crafted hell Amra

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #110 on: August 11, 2014, 05:12:20 PM »
So I bought all of the official windoze touhuo gaems minus stb/ds and swrrrrrrrr :x. I had IN and IaMP but they're either lost or buried at my parents house :[. I figured I had no excuse at this point, especially since I haven't played since PoFV.

I was $200 above my budget and now I'm 100 below it xD

Got to meet a lot of ausum people and missed out on more T~T COME BACK TO BALTIMORE-CHAN NEXT YEAR PLEASE
« Last Edit: August 11, 2014, 05:14:15 PM by helvetica »

He thought that on that same day he was to take the city of Priam, but he little knew what was in the mind of Jove, who had many another hard-fought fight in store alike for Danaans and Trojans."

Reddyne

« Reply #111 on: August 11, 2014, 05:17:06 PM »

swag layout
Praise the Sun!
and then
Praise the Sun!

Soul Devour

• A Casual Touhou Fan
  • Drifting along, one day at a time
« Reply #112 on: August 11, 2014, 07:13:13 PM »
Are you considering a touhou panel at magfest?  It's certainly topical, given the sheer volume of arrange albums that exist...

Topical is one heck of an understatement imo. At its core, it's a game series with great music. It's like it and MAGFest were always meant to be together. That said...

Pretty much. It would be similar in structure and spirit with more of a focus on the games, fan games, and music since that seems to be what MAGfest seems to be about. Print works and doujins would get an honorable mention, but it doesn't fit with the rest as much. Bringing in either someone associated with Touhou Tuesday or Gensokyo Radio would be a great fit but the panel could survive if no one from either could be made available. Unfortunately I don't know the crowd there as well so I don't know how privy they are to the series and general fandom. It may influence whether it's mostly an introduction to the series or just sort of basking in the glory of the more nuanced aspects of the fandom. Throwing four friends new to the series at Amapani and tallying the amount of curse words and insults that arise from the experience might make for some humor though.

Sometime or another I'll get around to talking about how awesome it was to be around all you guys again, how nice it was to meet some of you even if we didn't talk much, and how much I missed some who couldn't make it. :(

...from the two years I've been there, there's certainly some people who know what Touhou is or have heard of it but it feels like Touhou a lot more of an unknown over at MAGFest. Given that this would be the first year (that I know of) with a Touhou panel, I'd probably lean towards making the panel more of an introduction to the series with secondary focus on the massive amount of arranges and possibly the fangames.

I'm still waiting for a Touhou panel to have a portion where the audience is given a song from the series (most likely something popular) and then are asked by the panelists to name different styles/genres of music...to which the panelists would play a short clip from an arrangement done in that style/genre. Might be a quick way to really show how dedicated the fanbase is when it comes to arranging Touhou music.

If nothing else, it'd be nice to have *some* sort of Touhou presence at MAGFest. I dunno, it just feels like the two would or should go well together and yet the closest thing to Touhou I've seen there is a few songs on the Sound Voltex machine. Which is great but...kind of disappointing in a way.

« Reply #113 on: August 11, 2014, 08:30:34 PM »
I have plenty of other pics to put up later on but for now just lootpics.

I think I finally feel ready to try an MG kit again (got an MG Strike Noir back in college but fucked up the screws so bad I couldn't finish the torso ;_;) since the HG Sinanju I got at Tekko turned out to be pretty complex. The Unicorn Banshee was tempting but grabbing the Freedom instead let me also get the Qubeley Papillon without dipping into my dinner reserve and my very first kit was the ungraded-but-roughly-HG 1/100 Justice so they'll make a nice pair. And I got a bonus just extra weapon-y thing for spending over $50 so that was cool.

SOMEONE HAD THE GIFT PLUSHIE OF CAMUS FUCK YES. Plus a zillion buttons from Artists Alley that damned if I know where I'm gonna put 'em.

The bunch of Fukutomi ones are for an personal mission idea I had the first night; I'm actually not up to the point that that team starts showing up in Yowamushi Pedal (though I like what I have watched and Onoda is a treasure which is why I picked up the cute one of him to round out a 3/$5 at one booth - they also had realy cute FE:A ones and Persona ones though), the Ren was me supporting the only Uta no Prince-sama I found in Artists Alley, and I couldn't pass up the cute Utena.

The Wasurenagusa!Kondou is actually official merch and from a prize at the otome panel at Tekko but I never got around to taking it out of my purse so the expanding pile of buttons just seemed like a good chance to get it out of there. :V

Not pictured: a surprise Chaore and I picked up for rdj.

triangles

• gotta stock up on dark matter
  • each pound of which weighs over 10,000 pounds
« Reply #114 on: August 11, 2014, 09:44:19 PM »
That Utena pin is absolutely precious  :3

Also ROLL CALL WHO'S GOT THE OTAKOLD?
  • triangles

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #115 on: August 11, 2014, 09:50:30 PM »
Loot pics- By request:

Main picture- Nothing too fancy, Wallet, some dota plushies, POWA STICKS for next con, A series I have no idea if i'll like but am obligated to watch and...

This cute.

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #116 on: August 11, 2014, 09:58:29 PM »
http://blog.fatechan.net/post/94460119597/my-name-is-nazrin-and-welcome-to-jackass-me my Nazrin cosplay :3
http://blog.fatechan.net/post/94460703607/my-debute-of-fionna-the-gangbanging my gangbanger delinquent Fionna :3333

Two new cosplays for Otakon this year and it was SO MUCH FUN.

That Utena pin is absolutely precious  :3

Also ROLL CALL WHO'S GOT THE OTAKOLD?
  • triangles
I don't have conplague but my legs are completely destroyed. I was struggling to get into the shower and my car today D:. And in like 3 days I'm going on a hiking trip!!!!1111

Chaore

• Kai Ni Recipient Many Years Late
  • You Finally Did It, Kadokawa.
« Reply #117 on: August 11, 2014, 10:40:01 PM »
I don't have conplague but my legs are completely destroyed. I was struggling to get into the shower and my car today D:. And in like 3 days I'm going on a hiking trip!!!!1111

same

my right leg was absolutely killing me on the ride home, so much so i was kinda grumbly and probably annoyed my seatmates whoops

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #118 on: August 11, 2014, 10:43:13 PM »

I'm pretty sure that Overcoat usually goes to MAGfest every year to atleast represent arecibo radio. Not sure how easy it would be for him to make time for a panel, but I'd imagine he probably could squeeze in.

Really liked the Touhou panel and Otacon in general. Would be nice if linecon wasn't as bad on Thurday, though. >.>;

helvetica

• Arcade Maid
  • United Federation
« Reply #119 on: August 11, 2014, 10:57:12 PM »
Did he go last year? I know he went two years ago but I'm not sure if he was able to make it, being all west coast and all. I know he's REALLY BIG on Magfest tho. I wish I could go but I'm usually out of the state on winter break in Austin and I think this year it directly conflicts with Ohayocon (which is much closer, much less of a time commitment and above all, much cheaper).

Panel was great! I think this was the first Otakon panel (other than my absolute abortion of the very first Touhou panel at Otakon) I got to speak at :3 WAS AWESOME I WISH I HAD TIME TO GET MORE INVOLVED WITH IT :[