Author Topic: The Legend of Hieda II: Her Mother's Sword (Complete)  (Read 33712 times)

Fightest

• Fighter than anyone else
Re: The Legend of Hieda II: Her Mother's Sword
« Reply #300 on: July 17, 2013, 08:28:05 AM »
Fightest's note: if you don't mind, I'll take over to get us to the next challenge and the endgame.

> "Oh, I'll end it, alright."
> "As you asked, I've become a Chosen. Are you going to hand over Youmu's body?"

> "Yes, yes you have, you wonderful child! Now come! Take what's yours to take! Defy-"

> She does not wait for the Lady to finish. She could see everything already, and how could she not have before? There she was, Youmu as property of the Lady, life and death intertwined but so exposed, and all it requires is a step to get into reach and a single clean slice, and the ghost within the sword leaps out to reunite with her body-

> No.

> And the story, primed for your triumph, so, so ready to write its own happy ending stops.
> There, behind the story, you see it again, the form dark and wrapped in thorns, so filled with disgust and envy and it reaches out with its left arm-
> you briefly feel the tiger-essence's hunger
> -an arm of tendrils of oristeel, a shifting, entwining, rushing mass that extends out into eternity-
> and pulls.

> You have the briefest glimpse of a horrid, cruel smile on the Lady's lips.
> "Youmu," she says, "kill yourself."
>
> and the act is done before you can blink.
> a bloodstained blade
> hunched over, she drops to her knees
> and the foolish girl dies
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:37:06 AM by Fightest »

Fightest

« Reply #301 on: July 17, 2013, 08:29:22 AM »
> This could not be happening. There was no possible way this was right. This was not the ending she had intended. Nobody dies in stories. Nobody dies in stories!

> The story pulls in close, closer, engulfing everything until there is nothing more than you and Youmu's body surrounded by the roiling mass of chaos and you can feel a taboo is about to be committed, something stupid and desperate.

> She would call it the Resurrection Butterfly. And she would keep doing it until she no longer had to.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:37:25 AM by Fightest »

Fightest

« Reply #302 on: July 17, 2013, 08:37:44 AM »
> "Yes, yes you have, you wonderful child! Now come! Take what's yours to take! Defy-"

> She does not wait for the Lady to finish. She could see everything already, and how could she not have before? There she was, Youmu as property of the Lady, life and death intertwined but so exposed, and all it requires is a step to get into reach and a single clean slice, and the ghost within the sword leaps out to reunite with her body-

> "Youmu," she says, "kill yourself."
« Last Edit: July 17, 2013, 08:48:24 AM by Fightest »

Jq1790

• Wow I'm back to playing this game.
  • Let's puzzle together again, Karin!
« Reply #303 on: July 18, 2013, 10:41:49 PM »
>Is Yuyuko's ownership of Youmu targetable?  If so, sever it immediately.  A servant need not be OWNED by the one they serve.
>Before the Resurrection Butterfly, did we manage to determine any attributes, strengths, and/or weaknesses of the dark form with the oristeel arm?
If you're a Pazudora player and aren't on #puzzleandlibrarians, come join us!

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #304 on: July 19, 2013, 03:02:28 AM »
>Is Yuyuko's ownership of Youmu targetable?  If so, sever it immediately.  A servant need not be OWNED by the one they serve.

Oh that's a good idea, if Yuyuko is closer than Youmu that might be fast enough.

Fightest

« Reply #305 on: July 19, 2013, 08:03:15 AM »
>Before the Resurrection Butterfly, did we manage to determine any attributes, strengths, and/or weaknesses of the dark form with the oristeel arm?

> It evoked a hunger from the remnants of the tiger-essence within you.
> Its feelings coursed around it clear as day, its regret, its envy, its pity and its disgust.

> You are just in reach, you strike-
> -but the words have already been spoken, and you cannot outrace Youmu's sword. If only you could slow her down!
>
> and the act is done before you can blink
> a bloodstained blade

> Resurrection Butterfly.

Fightest

« Reply #306 on: July 19, 2013, 08:03:41 AM »

> "Youmu," she says, " kill yourself."

« Reply #307 on: July 19, 2013, 08:35:45 AM »
>Is Aichi able to prevent the order from reaching Youmu? Perhaps creating a large sound to drown out Yuyuko?
>Youmu: Call out to our body.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #308 on: July 19, 2013, 10:16:15 AM »
>Is Aichi able to prevent the order from reaching Youmu? Perhaps creating a large sound to drown out Yuyuko?

Nah, seems the order is already given at our savestate, it doesn't do any good to target Yuyuko. We also can't reach Youmu in time to stop her personally. Why does she have to be so fast D:

I think we have to cut a thing that will indirectly stop her from killing herself. We could also bust out a spellcard, I'm not sure what kind of modification we could make to this though.

Fightest

« Reply #309 on: July 19, 2013, 11:09:34 AM »

> You would have to act so quickly the command cannot reach Youmu's ears. And even then, the link between Master and Servant would carry the implied order.

>Youmu: Call out to our body.

> You are briefly Youmu.
> What strange sensation! You have spent so long outside your body that a corporeal form seems alien. More alien yet is how it resists you: your lower soul is still bound to the Lady. But it is your own soul, after all. You can regain control of it. You just need a few moments...

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #310 on: July 20, 2013, 06:44:40 PM »
Let's go for the 360 noscope.

> In one smooth motion, cut the distance between ourselves and Youmu, instantly placing ourselves next to her, and finish the slice by destroying her sword.

Fightest

« Reply #311 on: July 20, 2013, 07:29:02 PM »
> In one smooth motion, cut the distance between ourselves and Youmu, instantly placing ourselves next to her, and finish the slice by destroying her sword.

> You cannot bend time and space, but you can give yourself a little extra reach.
> Much as an architect can build a palace in her mind's eye, so can a swordsman strike at her foe in her imagination. And if they imagine it hard enough, then what choice does reality have but to concede?
> It is a conflict on such minor scales that it boggles the imagination. Youmu is infinitely faster on the draw and the strike, but your sword is ready, and your target requires no large swing.
> Even though you stand too far from your target to hit, you make a strike so absolutely precise that it cannot possibly miss, the rules of Creation be damned. In mid-motion, half of Youmu's sword flies off, embedding itself in the floor.

> You can feel another Resurrection Butterfly winding up. Youmu will readjust her grip and slice open her throat. You have enough time to make a step to get in physical reach. How many times has this already happened?

Jq1790

« Reply #312 on: July 20, 2013, 08:23:37 PM »
>Strike at Youmu's wrist of the arm that holds her sword(with the flat of our blade), aiming such as to disarm her.
>How is Youmu(upper soul) doing with regards to jumping back into her body?

Fightest

« Reply #313 on: July 20, 2013, 10:05:23 PM »
>Strike at Youmu's wrist of the arm that holds her sword(with the flat of our blade), aiming such as to disarm her.

> Every moment matters. Against the fastest swordsman in Creation, even the simplest economy of movement is enough to gain the advantage you so desperately need.
> Youmu shifts her grip. You make the step just a fraction slower, but her motion is from her waist, upwards and across, yours is simply down, and you do not miss. You cannot afford to miss.
> Her hand spasms and lets go of her sword.
> You feel the Resurrection Butterfly wind again. Right hand on yours, left palm on the blade, she pulls and impales herself on your sword. Not even a second has passed but why are your arms so tired?

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #314 on: July 20, 2013, 10:47:31 PM »
> You feel the Resurrection Butterfly wind again. Right hand on yours, left palm on the blade, she pulls and impales herself on your sword. Not even a second has passed but why are your arms so tired?

WHY YOU LITTLE

Someone think of a way to use the spellcard.

Jq1790

« Reply #315 on: July 20, 2013, 11:39:03 PM »
Taking Stuffman's earlier suggestion to attack something to indirectly stop this.  The link Yuyuko and LowerSoul!Youmu share is what makes the order unable to prevent, so maybe we can do something with it even after the order is given.  Is this objectionable to anyone?  Was thinking to repeat up to the point where we break her sword, then instead of targeting Youmu's body, target the link.  I just don't want to take too many actions without consent since there're more players than just me.

Fightest

« Reply #316 on: July 21, 2013, 08:33:14 AM »
Taking Stuffman's earlier suggestion to attack something to indirectly stop this.  The link Yuyuko and LowerSoul!Youmu share is what makes the order unable to prevent, so maybe we can do something with it even after the order is given.  Is this objectionable to anyone?  Was thinking to repeat up to the point where we break her sword, then instead of targeting Youmu's body, target the link.  I just don't want to take too many actions without consent since there're more players than just me.

Fightest's note: I'll answer this indirectly by providing some feedback.

> In the grey, motionless space between moments, when everything exists in a potential state ripe with possibility, you can see Youmu's eyes, before cold and emotionless, now light up with comprehension. She is regaining control. Every single action has been buying her moments in which to claim her body. Now, if only you can buy one more...

Fightest

« Reply #317 on: July 22, 2013, 02:42:27 PM »
Fightest's note: we're so close to being done here. If you don't mind, I'll take over and bring us over the finish line.

> Here it is again, the small advantage that is yours and yours alone. Youmu has to aim her body. You have but to aim your sword.
> Youmu pulls. You nudge.
> The divinely sharp sword enters her body like it were water, but that only makes your task so much easier. With tremendous effort you guide Gathering-Clouds-of-Heaven past nerve clusters, past bone, past blood vessels, past organs, past chakras, harming not a single one and through, through, the tip of your sword emerging from her back bloodless.
> And with a sharp breath, Youmu regains control.
> "Hah," she gasps, trying to find words that just won't come. She looks down at your hands, still holding the sword that is buried in her abdomen to the hilt and laughs a giddy laugh.
> You tense to start pulling the sword out, but Youmu puts her hands on yours to stop you.
> "I," she starts, but again comes short of finding what to say. Instead, she shuffles in closer and wraps her arms around you. You can hear her giggling quietly.

Jq1790

« Reply #318 on: July 22, 2013, 08:06:30 PM »
>Wait for Youmu to regain her composure
>"I'm so glad that's finally over.  Now, if you don't mind..."
>Glance at the sword stuck in her
>*I'm going to need that back.  There is still one last thing I need to do."
>Try to sense the shadowy figure from before.

Jq's note: Should I just act from now on when I have an idea, or is waiting for others if I have multiple consecutive inputs better?  I'd waited this time to give someone else a chance to do stuff too, but then nobody did,so I dunno.

Fightest

« Reply #319 on: July 23, 2013, 07:38:09 AM »
>Wait for Youmu to regain her composure
>"I'm so glad that's finally over.  Now, if you don't mind..."
>Glance at the sword stuck in her
>*I'm going to need that back.  There is still one last thing I need to do."
>Try to sense the shadowy figure from before.

> The spectre is gone. How long it has been gone is as hard to answer a question as how many times the Resurrection Butterfly wound and rewound its ending.
> "Hold, Aichi," Youmu whispers, "I...I would stay like this for a while longer."

> Koishi stood politely aside, waiting for an opportunity to present herself. She had lost control of her story and endangered the characters within. Perhaps she should offer an apology.

Jq1790

« Reply #320 on: July 23, 2013, 09:24:51 PM »
>As carefully as we can, finally return the hug that we left hanging
>"As long as you'd like, Youmu."

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #321 on: July 23, 2013, 10:17:22 PM »

[ Urge to make dirty joke regarding penetration. Will refrain. ]

Fightest

« Reply #322 on: July 24, 2013, 07:29:36 AM »
>As carefully as we can, finally return the hug that we left hanging
>"As long as you'd like, Youmu."

> "You are the best friend I could ever hope to wish for, Aichi," says Youmu, "I can only hope to measure up to you some day."
> Letting go, she grins and nods.
> You grasp the sword and carefully pull it out of her. You do not rush. You have all the time in the world now.

[ Urge to make dirty joke regarding penetration. Will refrain. ]

Fightest's note: You will have to believe me that I realised only a few hours afterwards that Aichi's journey to save Youmu culminates in her plunging her sword deep inside her. I honestly intended no innuendo, but it appears that, when dealing with swordsmen, the possibility can get quite real of it happening anyway.

Fightest

« Reply #323 on: July 24, 2013, 08:26:05 AM »
> A few days pass.
> You check your pack for everything that you might need for the short trip back to the mountain, from where you will begin the first leg of a longer journey.
> "Do not forget to visit me and grandfather once you are done," instructs Youmu, "and bring souvenirs from your travels. I want to hear what heroic deeds you get yourself into. The Lady Saigyouji as well, she loves to hear of faraway places."

Kasu

• Small medium at large.
  • This soup has an explosive flavour!
« Reply #324 on: July 24, 2013, 04:26:44 PM »
> Nod and smile. "Of course."

Apparently, Thomas the Tank Engine isn't one to take crap from anyone.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #325 on: July 24, 2013, 09:16:45 PM »
> What happened with the Lady Saigyouji? Did we fix her?

Fightest

« Reply #326 on: July 24, 2013, 10:16:52 PM »
> What happened with the Lady Saigyouji? Did we fix her?

> The Lady Saigyouji was released from the story when you finally saved Youmu. It appears that the story had no more use for the Lady. It took several days for Youmu to convince the Lady that she holds no grudge against her, but the Lady still has a tendency to fall over herself apologizing for her actions. How the Lady's and Youmu's relationship will develop over the coming year you cannot begin to fathom.

> Nod and smile. "Of course."

> "Fare well, Aichi," says Youmu, "we will always be together in spirit."
> You leave.
> The early morning sun begins to peek over the horizon. Out of the corner of your eye you catch a glimpse of tiger stripes.
> "A strange form, this." A voice comes from your left. The speaker is a rough-looking girl, with gold-and-black streaked hair, wearing simple white linen clothing. "But it has its advantages. A good morning to you, Aichi of the Hieda, and my congratulations on a grand challenge overcome."

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #327 on: July 25, 2013, 01:29:49 AM »
> Squint as we look her over. "Tiger-Patterned Shou, is that you? Well met."
> Examine her new form. Has anything about her changed besides her body?

Fightest

« Reply #328 on: July 25, 2013, 07:38:55 AM »
> Squint as we look her over. "Tiger-Patterned Shou, is that you? Well met."
> Examine her new form. Has anything about her changed besides her body?

> The tiger-essence within her has diminished. While she might be able to regain her previous strength, she is less now.
> "I will not intrude on you for long. I am here to warn you. Heaven is cracked and broken. The Mandate has lost its power and nothing is absolute any more. Uncertain times are coming. Uncertain and terrible."

> She could not stop it now, whether she wanted to or not. The Hieda girl had quite aptly demonstrated that a character in a story is not just a pawn to be played with and, yet, no matter how she might regret it, no matter how she might want to change her ways, Koishi could not stop it now. A story had momentum. Like a river that has thousands of tributaries feeding it it is no longer possible to change its path. But, she contemplated, perhaps it is possible to reduce its flow.

> The tiger-girl disappears into the forest, leaving you alone on the road again. Despite the cloudless day, the sky seems no longer as clear, and the sun no longer as bright. There is a staleness on the air, and the breeze does little to refresh you. You recall the map on the wall of the reception room in the Saigyouji manner. The world is growing smaller, losing itself to uncertainty.
> You nod to yourself. There is much to be done.

> Her Mother's Sword END.

> To be continued in The Legend of Hieda III: Esteemed Companion.

Fightest's note: I'll leave the thread open for a few days to answer any questions you might have, then move on straight to part 3.

Jq1790

« Reply #329 on: July 25, 2013, 12:37:29 PM »
What made you decide to eschew the Stance and Technique system?

Were there any things that you woud have liked to go differently?

While I won't ask what they'd BE, do you have any other new combat or gameplay mechanics in mind for Esteemed Companion?