Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)  (Read 45121 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 12)
« Reply #420 on: April 06, 2013, 05:25:18 AM »
>Hmm. Perhaps this one isn't as... completely casual as she appears.
>Nod solemnly. "Duly warned."
>Lean in just a little. "What about House Scarlet? Where do you think they stand on us and our services?"

>You give Sachi a nod, which she returns knowingly.
>Sachi snickers. "Lady Scarlet practically has half the city at her beck and call already - what does she need us for? But seriously, we do get sub-sub-contracts from them from time to time; don't think she has anyone on long-term retainer, though. All that power affords you some... selective tastes."

« Reply #421 on: April 06, 2013, 06:15:36 AM »
>Tastes like old relics of undefined origin?
>Better not ask, though. Best if we don't implicate Murasa and her crew of anything, even indirectly.
>"Yeah, I can imagine." Pause. "Have you ever worked for her?"

« Reply #422 on: April 06, 2013, 06:40:16 AM »
>Tastes like old relics of undefined origin?
>Better not ask, though. Best if we don't implicate Murasa and her crew of anything, even indirectly.
>"Yeah, I can imagine." Pause. "Have you ever worked for her?"

>You consider Aya's words about the pilfered relic's destination, but elect to make no mention of it.
>"What, me?" Sachi lets out a small snort. "Glad enough not to, frankly. Mind, given how much money in this town flows that way eventually, I'm sure I've had a hand in her business from time to time, but never on the inside."

« Reply #423 on: April 06, 2013, 06:53:19 AM »
>"Yeah, I can respect that. Guess I've just been wondering what kind of boss she is. She was the first of the bigwigs I heard about coming into town. I'm not exactly looking to pitch my wares her way, or anything, but a mouse gets curious."

« Reply #424 on: April 06, 2013, 07:33:17 AM »
>"Yeah, I can respect that. Guess I've just been wondering what kind of boss she is. She was the first of the bigwigs I heard about coming into town. I'm not exactly looking to pitch my wares her way, or anything, but a mouse gets curious."

>"She takes good care of people she's fond of. Or that's what they say, anyway," she adds wryly. "But when you're that far up the food chain, you don't have to put up with anything or anyone you don't like, and so you don't. Don't know about you, but I'm just as happy if the most dangerous person in the country doesn't know me well enough to have an opinion."
>"She just allergic to class," someone quips.
>The rabbit rounds on her with accusation. "Hey! I'll have you know I plan to live to 500!"

« Reply #425 on: April 06, 2013, 07:55:24 AM »
>Dangerous... Think back to what Neu and Murasa said about this Scarlet character. Does what Sachi say appear to line up with what we learned from them?

« Reply #426 on: April 06, 2013, 09:37:39 PM »
>Dangerous... Think back to what Neu and Murasa said about this Scarlet character. Does what Sachi say appear to line up with what we learned from them?

>While you never spoke with Murasa about Lady Scarlet, Neu did go on about her in some detail. You suppose her version and Sachi's aren't exactly contradictory, though Neu spoke of her in a much more positive light overall; while she did say she could be petty and vain, she also called her a generous patron and did not seem to fear reprisal for their failure to deliver their cargo. But you can't exactly disagree that a person with as much power as she supposedly has could be dangerous, if ever they put their mind to causing someone harm; in fact, by that measure, you suppose she might well be one of the most dangerous people in the whole world. The question is: how likely is she to actually do this?

« Reply #427 on: April 07, 2013, 04:42:43 AM »
>Well, we'll put that to one side for the moment. Time enough to worry about her and her kind when we get our life back on the right track.
>Unless of course we need to deal with her to find a cure, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
>To our knowledge, has Marisa ever dealt with someone on the same level as Lady Scarlet, and if so, did she ever speak to us about the experience?

« Reply #428 on: April 07, 2013, 06:46:17 AM »
>Well, we'll put that to one side for the moment. Time enough to worry about her and her kind when we get our life back on the right track.
>Unless of course we need to deal with her to find a cure, but let's not get ahead of ourselves.
>To our knowledge, has Marisa ever dealt with someone on the same level as Lady Scarlet, and if so, did she ever speak to us about the experience?

>Marisa was surprisingly reticent about Val Razua whenever the topic came up, even though you think she was actually from somewhere near here originally. She's worked for a few rich folks from time to time, sure but in terms of rank, you kind of don't think there's anyone in all the Outer Freelands on Lady Scarlet's level. Probably the person with the most 'power' you've met was Yuugi Hoshiguma and 'arrogant nobility' is about the last descriptor you would apply to her.

« Reply #429 on: April 07, 2013, 08:22:38 AM »
>Perhaps a story to ply out of her when we get home.
>For now, though, best not to laugh at Sachi's expense.
>Well... Perhaps, a brief, quiet chuckle.

« Reply #430 on: April 07, 2013, 07:15:31 PM »
>Perhaps a story to ply out of her when we get home.
>For now, though, best not to laugh at Sachi's expense.
>Well... Perhaps, a brief, quiet chuckle.

>You keep your response to a quiet chuckle, but this is still enough for Sachi to round on you with a disgruntled look.
>"Hey, it's your tail," she says. "You want to get it caught up with people like her, that's your business. I know where I stand."
>"About a head shorter than anyone else here."
>"'least I got something working inside mine." she counters smoothly.

« Reply #431 on: April 08, 2013, 05:51:22 AM »
>What would a Seeker's guildhall be without a little sniping, a mouse wonders.
>Contemplate offering, "Maybe the ears compensate for that.", but refrain. No need to blast the rabbit from both sides, and she WAS helpful.
>"Well, I'm not out for a 'sponser', but a word of caution never hurts nothing."
>What were those other two houses Neu mentioned, Houraisan and.... Mizuhashi?

« Reply #432 on: April 08, 2013, 06:09:04 AM »
>What would a Seeker's guildhall be without a little sniping, a mouse wonders.
>What were those other two houses Neu mentioned, Houraisan and.... Mizuhashi?

>Certainly the one back home afforded plenty of practice with verbal sparring; perhaps a natural consequence of sticking enough ambitious and competitive free-spirits in the same room. This certainly does not feel unfamiliar to you.
>She did say that those three represented the bulk of power in Val Razua, with a scattering of more minor players completing the dynamic.

>Contemplate offering, "Maybe the ears compensate for that.", but refrain. No need to blast the rabbit from both sides, and she WAS helpful.
>"Well, I'm not out for a 'sponser', but a word of caution never hurts nothing."

>Sachi gives you an approving nod. "Damn straight. Others will probably tell you different, but if you ask me, Sovereign Hall's the most dangerous place in the whole city. Sure, you don't need to worry about knives, or pickpockets, or someone clubbing you upside the head, but those are small stakes. They play much bigger ones there. I don't know about you, but I'd rather end up on the bad side of a gang of drunken oni than her Lady Scarlet."
>"She's really not that scary," Sheska says, oddly restrained from her previous tone.
>Sachi nods dryly. "Mhmm. Not until she wants to be, I'm sure."

« Reply #433 on: April 08, 2013, 06:15:24 AM »
>We've been on the bad sign of a drunken oni, haven't we?
>Have we heard of this Soverign's Hall prior to this?

« Reply #434 on: April 08, 2013, 06:23:06 AM »
>We've been on the bad sign of a drunken oni, haven't we?
>Have we heard of this Soverign's Hall prior to this?

>No, thankfully. In fact, you like to avoid being on any side of a particularly drunken oni when at all possible, though this is clearly an impossible task in Braston. And while you were certainly on Yuzu's bad side, if she had any alcohol in her, it certainly wasn't enough to count as drunk to an oni. So... maybe only a few liters.
>You have. It was one of the most clearly-labelled buildings on the map you looked at earlier, in fact, located in a large plaza at the city's center. You believe it is the Val Razuan seat of government, and probably quite an impressive feat of architecture besides.

« Reply #435 on: April 08, 2013, 06:35:10 AM »
>Glance over at Sheska. "Have you met her?"

« Reply #436 on: April 08, 2013, 06:42:05 AM »
>Glance over at Sheska. "Have you met her?"

>You glance over to the black-haired woman; she seems a little surprised at your question.
>"I, uh.... once or twice. Briefly."
>"Sheska here was born higher on the hog than you or me," Sachi offers.
>Sheska grimaces faintly. "Not that much."

« Reply #437 on: April 08, 2013, 07:02:38 AM »
>Higher on the hog. That's a new one.
>"Really? So how'd you end up in our vaunted company?"

« Reply #438 on: April 08, 2013, 07:28:12 AM »
>Higher on the hog. That's a new one.
>"Really? So how'd you end up in our vaunted company?"

>The steel in Sheska's voice returns. "Because I chose to."

« Reply #439 on: April 08, 2013, 07:37:23 AM »
>Chuckle once, then nod. Freedom. "Maybe the best reason of em all."

« Reply #440 on: April 08, 2013, 07:52:45 AM »
>Chuckle once, then nod. Freedom. "Maybe the best reason of em all."

>You see the firmness in the Seeker's face harden as you laugh, and then falter. For a moment, your approval seems to have left her almost completely at a loss.
>Kyouko chooses this same moment to poke her head out of an adjoining room. She start to wander idly over to the next.

« Reply #441 on: April 09, 2013, 01:06:19 AM »
>Call out to her, "Kyouko-chan."

EDIT

>Before that, are such honorifics commonplace?

« Reply #442 on: April 09, 2013, 02:45:01 AM »
>Call out to her, "Kyouko-chan."
>Before that, are such honorifics commonplace?

>It's not one you get much use out of yourself, but somehow you find yourself feeling it fits this girl. You hope she doesn't mind.
>Kyouko spins around towards you. "Yes?"

« Reply #443 on: April 09, 2013, 04:09:07 AM »
>"I'm heading out now. Still got places to go."

« Reply #444 on: April 09, 2013, 04:35:10 AM »
>"I'm heading out now. Still got places to go."

>"Places to go!" she chimes, bouncing back in your direction.

« Reply #445 on: April 09, 2013, 04:57:06 AM »
>Guess she still wants to come with us, then. Fine by this mouse.
>Assuming she is empty handed, find the person who warned us about her being our responsibility and give them a little look, the kind that says, "told ya she'd be cool."
>Nod to the assembled crew. "Well, thanks for your time, folks, but I got a gardener to find."
>Add to Sheska, "Good luck."

>Provided we are not stopped, head back outside.

« Reply #446 on: April 09, 2013, 05:40:40 AM »
>Guess she still wants to come with us, then. Fine by this mouse.
>Assuming she is empty handed, find the person who warned us about her being our responsibility and give them a little look, the kind that says, "told ya she'd be cool."
>Nod to the assembled crew. "Well, thanks for your time, folks, but I got a gardener to find."
>Add to Sheska, "Good luck."

>Provided we are not stopped, head back outside.

>Kyouko indeed does not seem to have pilfered anything from the other rooms - or at least if she has, she isn't carrying it openly in her hands. Unfortunately, the woman who cautioned against her wandering isn't looking in your direction at the moment; while you'd like to flash her a 'told you so', you decide it isn't worth calling out to her and making a public show of it.
>You give your fellow Seekers a nod and thanks, then offer some good luck to Sheska in particular.
>She peers uncomprehendingly at you for a moment. "Oh. Uh, thanks, I guess."
>"Good luck to you, too," Sachi adds in your direction. "Wherever you end up poking your neck."

>No one attempts to stop you as return down the stairs and exit the Seeker's Guildhall, Kyouko following lightly behind. As you step onto the street once more, she looks up at the sun with one hand shading her eyes from the noon brightness.
>"Mmmm... I think I might need to leave soon," she says.

« Reply #447 on: April 09, 2013, 05:52:18 AM »
>She did mention where she was going today, didn't she?
>If she did not, inquire.

« Reply #448 on: April 09, 2013, 06:01:47 AM »
>She did mention where she was going today, didn't she?
>If she did not, inquire.

>She did. She said she had a couple deliveries to make, and then had promised to help replant some flower beds at the Academy in the afternoon.

« Reply #449 on: April 09, 2013, 06:48:04 AM »
>Still no sign of growth from the flower.
>Ponder.
>Library's probably the most productive way to spend some time, see if they have any references to Yuuka and her garden.

>Nod. "Where you going first?"