Author Topic: ZUN starts taking interest in religion  (Read 26788 times)

Re: ZUN starts taking interest in religion
« Reply #30 on: January 20, 2012, 05:08:27 PM »
m-mm-march!?
Was there a reason given?

pineyappled

« Reply #31 on: January 20, 2012, 08:42:19 PM »
Jesusko with God-Unzan?

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2012, 04:28:18 AM »
m-mm-march!?
Was there a reason given?
Dunno, unless someone can go to Touhou Wiki and then to the Japanese site saying this to translate things.

« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2012, 05:33:22 AM »
Does game2011 mean this link, by any chance?

Anyways, apparently this delay was true, which sucks. Was looking forward to the new character infos. :V

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2012, 03:49:12 PM »
Does game2011 mean this link, by any chance?

Anyways, apparently this delay was true, which sucks. Was looking forward to the new character infos. :V
Yep, that's the one.

K.A

« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2012, 06:39:56 AM »
I think people who don't like other cultures being mixed into Gensokyo are forgetting that we have an entire mansion of people from Europe that's been there for almost a decade, at least.

Also people who think Gensokyo is stuck in the middle ages seem to forget that there's a nuclear reactor embedded in the mountain now.

Either way, I think the best part about Gensokyo is exactly the fact that it's so diverse, not just in character concepts but in nationalities, religions, origins, and pretty much everything else. Sure it's primarily Japanese, but there's a mishmash of all this other stuff that, surprisingly enough, fits perfectly there despite being completely different. ZUN's good at making everything mesh in the world he's made, so if he wants to explore non-Japanese religions in the next game, I have high hopes.

and a low frequency radio tower (that some fairies uses as a shrine. If I remember correctly).
I really like that there are stuff and culture from different parts of the world in Gensokyo, I think
the most of the stuff and religions comes from japan because the border is some where in japan.   

inb4next game is actually about Egyptian mythology
What?
I'm missing something here?
It would be pretty um... interesting.

To bad Symposium of Post-mysticism is deferred to the marsh, I am really eager to read it.

I have waited for some time now (before he announced this book) for more info about the religions in Gensokyo and how they work.

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2012, 09:36:59 AM »
Egyptian wouldn't be too far off... ZUN's comments on Yoshika's theme appears to say so.

Helepolis

• Charisma!
  • O-ojousama!?
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
On topic of ZUN-book delay: it has been indeed delayed. Spotting several other sources/forums where people are confirming it. Shame, I was really hoping for getting some light shed on this world of Touhou.

« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2012, 01:20:21 PM »

What?
I'm missing something here?
It would be pretty um... interesting.

Because everyone is talking about christianity and/or islam being in the next game, when it'd be more likely funnier to see an old "dead" religion such as the ancient egyptian mythology.
Also because I want to see loli!Devourer, but that's probably just me.

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #40 on: January 23, 2012, 01:49:53 PM »
I'm particularly interested in a lolinubis and loli Osiris. That hat would make Parsee jealous.

Oh wait.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

MaStErSpArK94

« Reply #41 on: January 23, 2012, 02:16:21 PM »
So the book was delayed, huh? Oh well.

Speaking of religion, I would love to see either Egyptian mythology or Hinduism in future Touhou games

« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2012, 12:44:35 AM »
Personally I'd like it to stay predominantly shinto. Have less games adding aspects to the setting, and focus on using what's already there. Fittingly enough, 9 was the last game that added one of my favourite characters, and it was also the last game that focused on expanding the setting rather than adding new aspects to it.

Then again, 10 onwards had the best gameplay, so remakes of 6 and 7 would be pretty great

Yukari-Chan

• Excuse me while I prepare /your/ demise. <3 TSO
« Reply #43 on: January 24, 2012, 01:14:46 AM »
Well, ZUN did based all his games off ancient religious creatures and beings right?
" Borders are Borders. They were meant to be manipulated and mistreated. "

« Reply #44 on: January 24, 2012, 06:48:31 AM »
Its generally Japanese mythology, I mean given where he is living... So the religions most prevalent there would be Shinto, Buddhism,
and Taoism, since I believe those are the most prominent there.

Maiden Synnae ミ☆

• Wizard Maiden
  • ★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆★☆
Re: Zun starts taking an interest in religion
« Reply #45 on: January 24, 2012, 01:40:49 PM »
Magic the Shastri: I'm aware of the origins of Buddhism and Taoism, but it doesn't change my point. They've existed in Japan for longer than Christianity has existed in the west. As such, they have both taken fully "Japanese" forms in Japan, in much the same way that Christianity in the US bears almost no resemblance to the original Middle Eastern faith. So I think calling the inclusion of Buddhism and Taoism in Touhou "heterogeny" is a little far-fetched. Japanese Bhuddism is about as Indian as a Big Mac is German.

I know a lot of people have this admiration for Japan as being some pure, untouched culture, but in reality, she's heavily influenced by her neighbors. The Japanese are very adept at borrowing from others and creating their own take on it, which is a sign of a thriving, successful culture. Truly homogenous cultures tend to be stagnant and underdeveloped.

Yes you're right. Truly homogenous cultures tend to be underdeveloped. I live in Brazil and as an example... our country was only explored and colonized by Portugal on 1500, and while Europe was already developed with cities and a monarchy during that time, we only had jungles, natives and no rules whatsoever. Which is even shameful to say, but after the colonization and with the help of the african slavery system induced here by portugal, we got developed really quickly considering the time it took for us to get "in touch" with development. We even got help from the japanese imigrants to build and develop our contry further, which explains why Brazil has the biggest japanese colony outside Japan. We also have several religions from different roots, such as the Christianity, Spiritist doctrine, Buddhism, Judaism, the Islam... etc, which contributed to make the country richer. I'm trying to mean that we'd certainly not be that developed only by ourselves and without the help of this whole "heterogeny".

Gensokyo seems to be rich as well, I mean... we have not only japanese people but also chinese girls (Meiling/Yoshika), European ones (Scarlet Sisters), And even an Iranian girl (Parsee). Now what about a korean girl that fights taekwondo? She would be a good rival for Meiling... or maybe an Egyptian girl that's skilled with creating curses/jinxes?

Although, I'd still rather have zun making a game about Shinto/Japanese folklore. Cause I have higher preference towards this culture. Speaking about mythology, I still consider Japanese, greek and nordic to be among the richest ones. At least in comparasion with something like korean mythology which sucks... (THEY ONLY HAVE GHOSTS AND DRAGONS!)

Sweetness and love~ ♥

Irate Researchers

• The Collector of Useless Facts
  • Consider the following...
    • Devart
Re: Zun starts taking an interest in religion
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2012, 01:53:35 AM »
Although, I'd still rather have zun making a game about Shinto/Japanese folklore. Cause I have higher preference towards this culture. Speaking about mythology, I still consider Japanese, greek and nordic to be among the richest ones. At least in comparasion with something like korean mythology which sucks... (THEY ONLY HAVE GHOSTS AND DRAGONS!)

The Kumiho begs to differ.

Maybe some PC-98 characters like Sariel can return if there is Christianity...  Since Sariel is assumed to be the Angel of the church of Sarda, mentioned in the book of Revelation's hitlist.

Napalnman1231

• Is that so~?
  • Nice Farming weather!
    • My gallery art
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2012, 04:51:53 AM »
Gensokyo seems to be rich as well, I mean... we have not only japanese people but also chinese girls (Meiling/Yoshika), European ones (Scarlet Sisters), And even an Iranian girl (Parsee). Now what about a korean girl that fights taekwondo? She would be a good rival for Meiling... or maybe an Egyptian girl that's skilled with creating curses/jinxes?

you're right, the three cultures you mention are pretty rich in mythology and leyends, without counting all the traditions that came after them. With this, Zun can see the posibility to incorporate other places and other cultures, and I'll support a game about it too.

So the book was delayed, huh? Oh well.

Speaking of religion, I would love to see either Egyptian mythology or Hinduism in future Touhou games

I am agree, a character based on a legendary historic person can be a nice idea, after all we have Konami's goemon games

Aya Reiko

• Humans are scary!
« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2012, 06:46:25 AM »
Even if Gensokyo's events are happening co-currently with the outside world, it is trapped about 120 years in the past.

As far as I can tell, the current plot arc seems to be playing on the religious quarrels that took place in Japan over the past few hundred years, with the appearance of famous Taoists and Buddhists in Gensokyan form, it seems to be hinting at the cyclical nature of the world, and not at any particular interest in causing a religious uproar.
If things in Gensokyo is cyclical, then that area could be heading towards a big war.
We have 4 distinct religious factions currently operating; Kochiya shrine, Hakurei shrine, Mouyren Temple, and the newly arriving Taoists.  All vying for a limited pool of influence.
Nevermind the potential for anyone else who might vie for power and/or influence.  (Of course, this can include those we haven't met yet.)
Plus Japan does have a history of internal strife; Genpei War, Sengoku Jidai, Boshin War...

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2012, 07:03:25 PM »
If things in Gensokyo is cyclical, then that area could be heading towards a big war.
We have 4 distinct religious factions currently operating; Kochiya shrine, Hakurei shrine, Mouyren Temple, and the newly arriving Taoists.  All vying for a limited pool of influence.
Nevermind the potential for anyone else who might vie for power and/or influence.  (Of course, this can include those we haven't met yet.)
Plus Japan does have a history of internal strife; Genpei War, Sengoku Jidai, Boshin War...
Th 14 phantasmagoria of Byakuren fighting Miko?
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

iK

• Triple Teasing Charicature
« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2012, 09:06:40 PM »
As much as people are saying TH15 is going to be a Vs., I really do think it will be 14, mostly because it has been four games since TH09, which itself only had three games of characters. I can't imagine them introducing a FOURTH religion into the mix when there is already a conflict between the Buddhists and Taoists right there waiting to see action.
[☰] [☴] [☵] [☶] [☷] [☳] [☲] [☱]

warpshadow

• I get it
    • anifanatikku
« Reply #51 on: February 05, 2012, 07:50:32 AM »
As much as people are saying TH15 is going to be a Vs., I really do think it will be 14, mostly because it has been four games since TH09, which itself only had three games of characters. I can't imagine them introducing a FOURTH religion into the mix when there is already a conflict between the Buddhists and Taoists right there waiting to see action.
Although I said a phantasmagoria game I have this strange feeling that Touhou 14 could be Zun's attempt at trying a team shooter along the lines of armored police batrider. From what I know of Touhou Zun creates the world to fit ideas for his games first and foremost and the fact that you can easily make a team of five on either the Myourenji or Senkai side is kind of interesting.
Gensokyo Everyday's story My Touhou fangame http://gensokyosnack.blogspot.com/

Irate Researchers

• The Collector of Useless Facts
  • Consider the following...
    • Devart
« Reply #52 on: February 06, 2012, 07:57:12 AM »
you know, a game focusing on proliferation of science would be cool too...

so we could get Rika and Rikako back...

« Reply #53 on: February 06, 2012, 09:22:15 AM »
Well, Hisoutensoku is mostly about science.

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2012, 02:07:48 PM »
The third leigion might be confucianism, but because kanako is like the representative for shinto religion, i dont think it will appears, the next touhou game is probably like where will the most faith of people of gensokyo will go to..buddhist, shinto(Kanako), or taoism?That is why the next touhou is about war of religion, and i told you most people from the ancient is pretty evangelistic, just like how the real world currently in, here people will talk about christianity,muslim and jews...three religion that currently still at war, so touhou is like the counterpart for it, buddhist shinto and taoism, but because magic happens there, it will surely turn into a full-scale war, im sure it will be,

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2012, 09:23:36 PM »
If this was a Dark'n'Edgy fanfic, then you'd probably be right. Somehow I don't see that happening though, considering how bright and cheery the games generally are.
For that matter, I doubt there are enough humans to facilitate a full scale war in Gensokyo, and I can't see any of the youkai joining up with anyone aside from Byakuren's team.
As for most people from ancient times being pretty evangelistic, remember that Gensokians don't exactly have attitudes typical of a feudal japan resident.

« Reply #56 on: February 08, 2012, 03:45:14 AM »
Yep, I can't really see the powers joining forces. We at least know some of them from Silent Sinner in Blue, one being Suika, another being
the Scarlet Devil Mansion, another being the Netherworld, and another being Eientei. I can't see any of them joining in a religious war.

Sophilia

• Exposition Patchouli
  • Seeker of Truth
« Reply #57 on: February 08, 2012, 04:02:48 AM »
Well, to me it seems Gensokyo is shaped internally by what is believed, and externally by what is disbelieved.  This is why all the aspects of religion appearing is such a big deal.  It's easy to deduce that ZUN feels all religion, not just Shinto, has lost its importance to outside Japan.  But more importantly, with the representatives of all these faiths appearing and actively doing things, Gensokyo's reality itself is changing.  I would not say there will be a holy war, this is the land of tea after danmaku, after all.  But there will be a bit of chaos as Gensokyo receives new concepts into its structure.  As for what comes of this chaos...well, let me say that I bet once Symposium comes out there will be a bit regarding how Kanako and Suwako learned of Gensokyo to begin with, and we all get to yell those famous four words.  :D
Life and death are without purpose.  Our attempts to give them one are quite presumptuous of us.  But in the end, we exist, and that is enough.

Current status: Dissuading deliberately choking for imagined fame.

Firestorm29

• Lily White Mage
  • Spring Time is Healing Time~
« Reply #58 on: February 08, 2012, 05:43:09 AM »
...just like how the real world currently in, here people will talk about christianity,muslim and jews...three religion that currently still at war, so touhou is like the counterpart for it, buddhist shinto and taoism, but because magic happens there, it will surely turn into a full-scale war, im sure it will be,
I'm kinda at odds with this since I ever took a class last semester that covered terrorism. I think they more object to things like Israel being thrown on holy ground rather than them going "U not Muslim, DIE!". I mean even if you listen to some of theirs statements, they call the state of Israel illegit, not the religion.

Personally, I'd be interested to see how Christianity would be portrayed in Gensokyo. I mean, the missionaries of earlier times I think behave and act in different ways than they do today, not to mention that I used to see ads for what looked like a Christian church on the Keikyu line when I'd head downtown, so I'm sure that Christianity probably has some influence over there, although it maybe minor.

Darth_Sirov

• Gensou Rounin
  • Profile Loading... Please Wait Warmly.
« Reply #59 on: February 08, 2012, 04:04:10 PM »
Closest Christianity has ever been is with Byakuren and Ichirin, the former is often called the You-Christ due to her balance aspect between youkais & humans and saving the youkais from the humans; while the latter looks like a nun.