Author Topic: Canon portrayals that you wish got used more in fandom  (Read 74561 times)

Bias Bus

• It's unpleasent
  • if you're better than me
Re: Canon portrayals that you wish got used more in fandom
« Reply #90 on: June 21, 2011, 11:57:46 PM »
huge bitch
THAT'S A HUGE BITCH! (Da'booru Warning)

I'm sorry, this was something that wouldn't leave me alone.
No Math Zone - Tumblr (slight nsfw) | Legend of a Hot-Blooded Pig

"The only guy you know to draw fat Touhous." - Erebus

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #91 on: June 22, 2011, 12:00:57 AM »
In accordance to Fanon, From what I know is that a certain character says something. In this case, Remi with her UUUU UUU~ and Okuu with her Unyu~, etc etc. One person picks this out, and now said character cannot be used in any sort of fanwork without said phrases or being based around a wooden personality. It's not the fact that this is bad, its all dependant on the writer and such.

Yeah, I mentioned this before. Characters like Suwako, Patchouli, Okuu and Remi only say those phrases once and it turns into a recurring catchphrase. I'll admit though, I have no problem with them. They're rather cute, but as I said before, it shows how sensitive the fandom is (refer to Tenshi).

On that note, I really really really want to see a Tenshi without a hint of masochism. Granted I dislike Tenshi because she just wanted to cause mischief out of boredom without any remorse for her actions whatsoever, but to fabricate a character's personality based on the fact that people misunderstood her taunting is just unfair to her (even though I hate her).

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #92 on: June 22, 2011, 12:03:37 AM »

Ahahahahaha yeah I didn't consider that angle

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
  • When Ice Cars completely miss the intended target
« Reply #93 on: June 22, 2011, 12:07:39 AM »

Why didn't I think of that? Well played.  :3
"I'm not sure about this anymore...Are you sure this is safe?"

"Absolutely! This is 100% safe! ...Not."

XephyrEnigma

• :|
  • XephyrEnigma
« Reply #94 on: June 22, 2011, 12:11:30 AM »
Same. She's always the party girl.

Thirded for great truth.
Iced-Fairy: "Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game." 

My YouTube channel where I often screw about - Latest Upload: IN Border Team Easy Clear

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

• OKAY THEN I'M A LEGAL AIDE
  • AND ERIN BROCKOVICH IS MY NAAAME
« Reply #95 on: June 22, 2011, 12:16:30 AM »
I always saw Alice as a crazy cat lady (except with dolls), since her PMISS report isn't so much as cold as "just kind of weird and bad at conversation".
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

Iced Fairy

• So like if you try to hurt alkaza
  • I will set you on fire k'?
    • Daisukima Dan Blog
« Reply #96 on: June 22, 2011, 01:32:51 AM »
I'd like to see more good writing in general.  ZUN created fairly nuanced characters with contradictions like normal humans, which is one of the reasons fans go all over the place when they make them one dimensional.

Which brings me to the one portrayal I'd like to see more of : ditz Sakuya.

Of course she keeps the refined demenor and the mad maid skills, but canon Sakuya (unlike her fanon counterpart) always knew how to have some fun.  Sometimes too much fun.  And it fits her character.  Why worry when you can stop time whenever shit goes wrong?  Forget something?  Stop time and go do it.  Drop something?  Stop time and pick it up.  Someone trying to stab you?  Stop time and walk away.  Sakuya's almost bound to be overconfident with that power.

Actually that's something from canon I'd like to see a bit more of in general.  Having fun.  The Touhou cast all seem to enjoy themselves.  Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #97 on: June 22, 2011, 01:36:29 AM »
Agreed. Gensokyo isn't grim.. and... dark. Also, needs moar pretty danmaku battles. They're explicitly nonlethal (except maybe for Reisen getting her clothes shredded).
Sonata of Scarlet Sunflowers, a Flandre x Yuuka story. | Laziness of Daemonic Wastrels, wherein The Dude, Frylock, HW Guy, and David Wong get their asses kicked in Gensokyo.  | T.O.U.H.O.U.: Land of Shadows, a S.T.A.L.K.E.R./Touhou crossover. | Abomination, a monster story.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #98 on: June 22, 2011, 01:38:46 AM »
Everyone gets their clothes shredded in danmaku.  :derp:

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
  • Whoa, this YF-29's awesome!
« Reply #99 on: June 22, 2011, 02:11:45 AM »
Danmaku is like soccer, except instead of hooligans you get fairies and the riot is before the game.
That is the best line I've ever read.
That's Quotesig-worthy.

Which brings me to the one portrayal I'd like to see more of : ditz Sakuya.
Of course she keeps the refined demenor and the mad maid skills, but canon Sakuya (unlike her fanon counterpart) always knew how to have some fun.  Sometimes too much fun.  And it fits her character.  Why worry when you can stop time whenever shit goes wrong?  Forget something?  Stop time and go do it.  Drop something?  Stop time and pick it up.  Someone trying to stab you?  Stop time and walk away.  Sakuya's almost bound to be overconfident with that power.
As for Canon things I'd like to see more, I'd agree with you on ditz Sakuya.
She does canonically enjoy fun things, but is also responsible. In a way, she's Remilia's Lancer.
Essence RO
Eiji Komatsu L1xx/6x CritsinX | Ryoshima Nanbu L7x/4x Crafting Blacksmith

Arbitrary Gaming~!
Youkai Quest: Unknown Adventure

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #100 on: June 22, 2011, 02:15:10 AM »
That is the best line I've ever read.
That's Quotesig-worthy.

Seconded.  :3

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #101 on: June 22, 2011, 02:19:06 AM »
I think it's time we discuss Yukari. She sure is a mixed bag as far a fandom goes.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #102 on: June 22, 2011, 02:19:57 AM »
But that's because Yukari is Yukari. Not even the characters themselves understand her quite well.  :V

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #103 on: June 22, 2011, 02:20:39 AM »
But that's because Yukari is Yukari. Not even the characters themselves understand her quite well.  :V

I prefer the gentle, sage-like Yukari.  :derp:

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #104 on: June 22, 2011, 02:26:27 AM »
She may be all sagely and stuff, but she's also an incredibly ancient youkai.
My guess on her is that she's probably equal parts fanon(Trollish, and unafraid to pull a fast one), and equal parts canon(Wise, secretive, and all that.).
And in a way, that'd fit her the best. Do keep in mind that she's also not afraid of keeping secrets from folks, see SA for stuff like that.
In fact, outside of the fighters, I think that IN and PCB were the only games where she was actually present for incident resolution.
All the other times were remotely(SA), or not at all(MoF, UFO, PoFV).
Of course, that's excluding the fighters.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #105 on: June 22, 2011, 02:28:48 AM »
I prefer the gentle, sage-like Yukari.  :derp:

Yes, she can be like that, but she's quirky and eccentric, too. No one really know what she's really thinking about most of the time, and she surprises people once she does reveal her thoughts. Even Ran has been caught off guard a few times and she's the on who knows Yukari best.

She may be all sagely and stuff, but she's also an incredibly ancient youkai.
My guess on her is that she's probably equal parts fanon(Trollish, and unafraid to pull a fast one), and equal parts canon(Wise, secretive, and all that.).
And in a way, that'd fit her the best.

Pretty much this.

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #106 on: June 22, 2011, 02:30:15 AM »
I like the crazy hyper competent Yukari, where everything that has ever happened anywhere is according to her plan even the stuff she didn't plan.  Only taking time off to mess with Ran, Yuyuko, Eirin, Reimu, the reader, ect.

Also on a serious note, going back on what was going on earlier.  I'd like to see less NEET Kaguya as well. 

Savory

• I am a save frog
  • *wink*
« Reply #107 on: June 22, 2011, 02:32:12 AM »
Yes, she can be like that, but she's quirky and eccentric, too. No one really know what she's really thinking about most of the time, and she surprises people once she does reveal her thoughts. Even Ran has been caught off guard a few times and she's the on who knows Yukari best.

Okay, scratch that. Yukari's a mixed bag as far as canon AND fanon is concerned.

Kips McKipzerson

• I never did learn
« Reply #108 on: June 22, 2011, 02:32:43 AM »
Yukari can be seen as many things, as Canon hints to pretty much all of her personalities in fanon. She can be wise, knows when to get shit done, or she can be troublesome and do stupid shit for the lulz. In fact, if anything, Marisa and Yukari are the two characters in fanon who arent changed much or at all from the actual canon.

TAKE IT CACODEMON!!

« Reply #109 on: June 22, 2011, 02:39:59 AM »
...I'm thinking Yukari is Deadpool now.

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #110 on: June 22, 2011, 02:49:57 AM »
No, no, no. Deadpool is obviously Yukari's descendant!
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #111 on: June 22, 2011, 02:51:37 AM »
No, no, no. Deadpool is obviously Yukari's descendant!

I second this.  :V

Phlegeth

• DPS LFG
  • Time expired: 121:45
« Reply #112 on: June 22, 2011, 03:09:37 AM »

Someone should take paint away from me.

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #113 on: June 22, 2011, 03:12:47 AM »
Moar. :getdown:

Hanzo K.

• White Tiger Shikigami
« Reply #114 on: June 22, 2011, 03:20:14 AM »
Funny thing is? I can so see her saying anything Deadpool says.
Essence RO

Arbitrary Gaming~!

« Reply #115 on: June 22, 2011, 03:36:22 AM »
Meiling is sleeping on the job in Hisoutenkou and BAiJR, so her being lazy is at least somewhat cannon (the extent is debateable).  it's also true that Marisa gets by Mei Ling often.  However, Marisa is hyper competent.  For the most part, Akyu warns that you shouldn't disturb Mei Ling or do anything to her gate, so Mei Ling thus presumably keeps the majority of the riff rafff out (tho Akyu also thinks Mei Ling is meditating when Mei Ling is probably just slacking on the job, so I guess we can't trust Akyu's judgement on that one too much).

Patchouli describes Mei Ling as useless, but Patchouli says that for Sakuya too, so that doesn't mean much.

Unlike fandom, there is never any canon time when Sakuya physically abuses Mei Ling.  At most, she snaps at her once when Mei Ling makes an admittingly silly comment in Strange and Bright Nature Diety regarding fairies.  Otherwise, Sakuya generally seems nice enough to Mei Ling on a professional level (even taking Mei Ling inside when she catches her sleeping outside because she's worried about Mei Ling getting heatstroke in Hisoutenko.  On a side note, this is a clear case of Sakuya catching Mei Ling sleeping on the job and instead of stabbing Mei Ling, she takes Mei Ling inside because she's worried about her.  That's pretty much the opposite of fanon.  ...on another side note, Patchouli remarks that youkai don't get heatstroke.  Sakuya can sometimes be ditzy like that)

Sakuya herself is actually rather easy going, even when obeying Remilia's orders (she even says she doesn't believe that catching Lily will bring Spring to the SDM, but she's doing it anyways on Remilia's orders simply because such things keep Remilia entertained).  There really isn't anything to indicate she's a psychopathic serial killer (besides the names of her spell cards).  She's supposed to be the perfect and elegant maid, but fandom ignores that a lot.

Sakuya being a pedophile probably wasn't (purposefully) taken out of the cannon at all and it's a rather gross character butchering.  Canonically, however, it is true that she does like fairies a lot (and fairies are childish) as shown by her attempts to recruit Cirno, the army of fairies in the SDM that she presumably recruited herself since she's the one in charge of hiring as shown by her ad in BAiJR (and apparently can even pick out which ones DON'T belong at a mere glance in SaBND!) and how extremely nice she was to Sunny, Luna, and Milky (whereas everyone else didn't even notice them).  And she's generally happy with keeping Remilia entertained (even doing a sleight of hand magic trick for Remilia without Remilia requesting it in CoLA), but it doesn't get anywhere near into Sakuya nosebleed pedophile territory.  If anything, Sakuya's probably just very motherly.

Yuyuko is clearly obsufucating stupidity (IE, pretending to be stupid).  The latter stage dialogues of Imperishable Night clearly shows she knows what she's doing.  She's actually able to predict what's going to happen next and merely covers it in a bunch of food analogies at several points in the story.  Heck, she knows she's gone the wrong way before even Yukari does on that same path.  This is also pointed out in Scarlet Weather Rhapsody, where she at first looks like she's just goofing off but eventualy she tells someone (Tenshi, IIRC) that she KNOWS what's going on and that Tenshi's behind it, but is really just playing along while waiting for someone else to solve it (it's not her job, after all).  The same goes for Ten Desires, where her profile again states she knows what's going on (and her dialogue shows she even knows who's behind it) but is letting the heroine do it because... well, that's what the heroine is going to do.  No need for her to get so involved.

Yukari is actually similar to Yuyuko in that regard.  Except possibly a bit more proactive and more manipulative (Yuyuko sits back and watches.  Yukari manipulates others into doing things and then sits back and watches after that.  Both play the fool the entire time but are really just pretending to be stupid.  Tho both will get directly involved if they feel they have to, as shown by the games where... well, they get directly involved)

Both Yuyuko and Yukari seem perfectly capable of reading each other and seeing what the other REALLY means even while they're playing stupid with each other, on a side note (their dialogues with each other in the fighting games).  One reason why they're such good friends, I imagine.

To be honest, I really can't think of many times that Yukari went out of her way to troll someone JUST for the lolz.  Every single canon portrayal of her always has her on the way to doing something that's important for the sake of Gensokyo, instead of just going out and goofing off for the hell of it.  However, she certainly does troll anyone with the misfortune of getting in her way while she's progressing towards whatever goal she's shooting for.  Presumably, Yukari doesn't waste time trolling someone to pass the time cause she's too busy sleeping instead.  Yukari only plays pranks on someone while she's passing by, instead of seeking out people to play pranks on in the first place (and even then, her pranks usually have a purpose, too.  Such as attacking the three fairies to gauge their power).  That said, she can be gentle and sage like at times too (she often lectures people on how Gensokyo works, as portrayed/stated in CoLA where she politely lectures Reimu on why Reimu shouldn't be futzing around with the barrier just to summon her, or her win quote to Sanae in Hisoutenko where she says she hopes Sanae is enjoying Gensokyo.  Also, Akyu states she's more than happy to talk about things and herself.  It's just questionable whether she's lying or not).
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 03:41:46 AM by Tiamat »

ふとくていなねこじょおう

• Cirno Kisaragi
« Reply #116 on: June 22, 2011, 03:59:37 AM »
Do you know how much I love your walls of text? <3

That is basically the point of their characters. You extracted their essence perfectly.

game2011

• magneiptVE
    • Unsurpassed ??asual Dating - Real Women
« Reply #117 on: June 22, 2011, 04:16:42 AM »
Regarding Team ⑨...  I always found Mystia to be older-looking compared to the other members.  Cirno, Rumia, Daiyousei, and Wriggle clearly look like kids, but Mystia always struck me as looking more like a teen, and I've always assumed that she's the smartest of the bunch do to having her own business.

Stuffman

• We're having a ball!
« Reply #118 on: June 22, 2011, 04:17:12 AM »
There really isn't anything to indicate she's a psychopathic serial killer (besides the names of her spell cards).

Marisa: So if I beat you, I become chief maid, right?
Sakuya: More people have said that and been killed than there are thorium decay products.
Chen: What are stray cats to do, then?
Sakuya: Why not get put to sleep at an animal shelter? The Buddhist Paradise is warm, they say.
Shikieiki: Yes, you're too cold to other humans.
Sakuya: That would be because the only thing I touch humans with would be my cold steel.

Also, do consider that Remilia and Flandre eat humans, and Sakuya is responsible for preparing their food.

While not depicted as a raving psychopath, she definitely has murdered other humans. She has become more mellow as the series has progressed, though.

« Reply #119 on: June 22, 2011, 04:20:25 AM »
Also, do consider that Remilia and Flandre eat humans, and Sakuya is responsible for preparing their food.

While not depicted as a raving psychopath, she definitely has murdered other humans. She has become more mellow as the series has progressed, though.

Adding onto that is the fact that she used to resent other humans for some reason. Again, she's mellowed out, but still.
All lies and all sin, all dreams and all majesty, Everything rots in this ruined hell

[The Perfect, Elegant Maid] [Pathos of the Hated People] [Music, Projects, and Art]