Author Topic: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 3)  (Read 49598 times)

Re: (Skyseas of Gensokyo) Nazrin Quest (Part 3)
« Reply #540 on: July 05, 2011, 06:28:50 AM »
>"I can respect that. And I don't blame you, either. Guess I'll find somebody else to help me."
>If he doesn't object, head back towards the farmsteads, to find another source of gear.

>"Sorry about that," he repeats. "Good luck to you."
>He makes no effort to stop you as you leave and head south. It takes a little while to cross the rest of the pasture, but the walk is a pleasant change from having to keep constant vigilance as you did in the forest. After a few minutes, you reach the road into the main part of town. Fields filled will all manner of crops flank both sides, stretching into the distance; among them is scatted an occasional building or two. More houses are towards the village center, further south.

« Reply #541 on: July 05, 2011, 06:44:13 AM »
>Set off towards the nearest one of those buildings that appears to a barn, or a silo, something on a farming compound.

« Reply #542 on: July 05, 2011, 07:10:11 AM »
>Set off towards the nearest one of those buildings that appears to a barn, or a silo, something on a farming compound.

>You scan the buildings within sight, then select the nearest barn and head towards it. It's set in some distance from the road on the other side of a modest cornfield. A small path leads towards it, although it's frankly a little overgrown. You set to picking your way through it.
>After you make it about halfway to the barn, you hear a voice call out from among the corn. "Something I can help you with?"

« Reply #543 on: July 05, 2011, 07:17:15 AM »
>I like corm.
>"I hope so. I'm trying to solve the dissapearing cow problem, but I need some more supplies. Think you can set a Seeker up?"

« Reply #544 on: July 05, 2011, 07:47:55 AM »
>I like corm.
>"I hope so. I'm trying to solve the dissapearing cow problem, but I need some more supplies. Think you can set a Seeker up?"

>"Sorry, we only grow 100% linguistically correct produce on this farm."
>"Maybe." You hear rustling from among the corn, and eventually a youngish woman emerges from it, her hair tied back in a short braided ponytail. She gives you an appraising look.
>"Whadda ya need?"

« Reply #545 on: July 05, 2011, 07:54:49 AM »
>Recount the list we mentioned before.

« Reply #546 on: July 05, 2011, 08:01:00 AM »
>Recount the list we mentioned before.

>You rhyme off the list of items you mentioned earlier. The woman's expression gives way to a quizzical frown almost as soon as you begin and only deepens by the time you're done.
>"Mighty odd list of stuff you're asking for, there. I got a pitchfork and some twine, sure, but that other stuff?" She rubs the back of her head with a gloved hand. "Might have some gauze lying around somewhere, I s'pose. What's all this got to do with the cows, anyhow?"

« Reply #547 on: July 05, 2011, 08:07:12 AM »
>"Chances are, you wouldn't believe me if I told you. I might not've believed it myself, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes."

« Reply #548 on: July 05, 2011, 08:23:59 AM »
>"Chances are, you wouldn't believe me if I told you. I might not've believed it myself, if I hadn't seen it with my own eyes."

>Her face takes on a kind of grim neutrality. "Try me."

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #549 on: July 05, 2011, 08:34:18 AM »
>Before we go around spreading the story, just how well do we think Easthaven would take this kind of news, based on our past experiences?

« Reply #550 on: July 05, 2011, 06:01:08 PM »
>Before we go around spreading the story, just how well do we think Easthaven would take this kind of news, based on our past experiences?

>You imagine this would vary from person to person. Gensokyo is filled with all manner of magical and supernatural things; you doubt too many people would have a problem believing that giant acid-spitting spiders could exist. Now, whether they would think them a plausible explanation for this specific incident is another matter. Easthaven has never been a hotbed of the exotic and dangerous; wild youkai are fairly uncommon, there are no confluxes of magic or other strange phenomena nearby, and the region draws neither magicians nor practitioners of other esoteric arts. All in all, it's a very mundane place; many corners of the world are far more prone to dangerous unknowns. Still, you imagine many people could accept you at your word. Others would probably remain skeptical, inclined to blame thieves rather than a sudden appearance of giant spiders that no one but you has seen. All things being equal, even you might have admitted that was the more plausible explanation.
>One thing is fairly certain: once word is out, it will spread quickly. There will probably be the usual arguments over whether it is or isn't real. Some people will probably be frightened by the implication of such dangerous creatures living so close to their own homes. You doubt it will cause either chaos or mass panic, though, nor unruly mobs charging into the forest to eradicate things. If anything, the more dangerous the threat, the more you imagine they'd want to leave it up to the professionals.

Hello Purvis

• Hello Jerry
« Reply #551 on: July 05, 2011, 10:08:03 PM »
>As far as we know, no one actually goes into that forest, right?

« Reply #552 on: July 05, 2011, 10:18:16 PM »
>As far as we know, no one actually goes into that forest, right?

>You don't know of any development within it nor is there much hunting in the area, although you wouldn't be surprised if the occasional adventurous type had poked their head in on occasion.

« Reply #553 on: July 05, 2011, 11:10:45 PM »
>Her face takes on a kind of grim neutrality. "Try me."

>Twitch. This one's got spirit, methinks.
>"All right. Would you believe me if I told you that giant spiders are behind it? Some of them the size of large dogs, some of them the size of small horses, and some that spit acid. And maybe more, I haven't found the lair proper yet. Wanted to get those supplies before I went back in."

« Reply #554 on: July 06, 2011, 12:07:48 AM »
>Twitch. This one's got spirit, methinks.
>"All right. Would you believe me if I told you that giant spiders are behind it? Some of them the size of large dogs, some of them the size of small horses, and some that spit acid. And maybe more, I haven't found the lair proper yet. Wanted to get those supplies before I went back in."

>She certainly doesn't seem very phased at the moment.
>She gives you a long hard look. "You're serious." The tone makes it sound almost more like a statement than a question.

« Reply #555 on: July 06, 2011, 12:19:49 AM »
>"I couldn't make it up if I tried. And I even got the burn to prove it, too."
>Point to our shoulder wound.
>"Woulda been a lot worse if my hearing isn't as good as it is."

« Reply #556 on: July 06, 2011, 12:34:34 AM »
>"I couldn't make it up if I tried. And I even got the burn to prove it, too."
>Point to our shoulder wound.
>"Woulda been a lot worse if my hearing isn't as good as it is."

>You show her your shoulder wound. Her facial expression remains firm and impassive, almost clinical, but you can see the alarm in her eyes once she gets a look at it.
>"And for that you want a pitchfork and twine? I don't think you're gonna find any pesticide in the village that can kill something that did that."

« Reply #557 on: July 06, 2011, 12:40:45 AM »
>"So I've been told. So I gotta make do with what I can scrounge. I need a weapon with some reach to it, and I need a way to retreive my kunai without jumping on the back of one of the damn things and yanking it out it its skull. I thought about trying to improvise a fire-bomb of some kind, but I wasn't hired to burn the forst down, so that's too risky."
>"I also thought about trying to round up some help from the farmers, but that's even more risky. None of them have youkai reflexes or senses, and the sneak attacks that nearly got me probably would get them. I don't want anybody dying today."
« Last Edit: July 06, 2011, 12:43:22 AM by Sourfang »

« Reply #558 on: July 06, 2011, 12:52:10 AM »
>"So I've been told. So I gotta make do with what I can scrounge. I need a weapon with some reach to it, and I need a way to retreive my kunai without jumping on the back of one of the damn things and yanking it out it its skull. I thought about trying to improvise a fire-bomb of some kind, but I wasn't hired to burn the forst down, so that's too risky."
>"I also thought about trying to round up some help from the farmers, but that's even more risky. None of them have youkai reflexes or senses, and the sneak attacks that nearly got me probably would get them. I don't want anybody dying today."

>The farmer listens along as you explain your situation. For the most part, she remains resolutely composed, though a worried frown breaks through the firmness of her countenance as you casually mention burning the forest down.
>"Have you told the others yet?" she asks firmly.

« Reply #559 on: July 06, 2011, 02:37:05 AM »
>"Not yet, no. Like I said, I dodn't think anyone would believe me, and I didn't want to risk panicking anyone."

« Reply #560 on: July 06, 2011, 02:44:42 AM »
>"Not yet, no. Like I said, I dodn't think anyone would believe me, and I didn't want to risk panicking anyone."

>"There's still people out near there," she says, "and if it's half as dangerous as you say, they need to be told."

« Reply #561 on: July 06, 2011, 03:20:54 AM »
>"I don't think they're in immediate danger. I wasn't followed, and the spiders haven't attacked people yet."
>"Still, I see your point."

« Reply #562 on: July 06, 2011, 03:33:31 AM »
>"I don't think they're in immediate danger. I wasn't followed, and the spiders haven't attacked people yet."
>"Still, I see your point."

>"You're people, aren't you?" she says.

« Reply #563 on: July 06, 2011, 03:39:30 AM »
>"I was also on their turf. And for all I know, youkai taste better to giant spiders."

« Reply #564 on: July 06, 2011, 03:48:08 AM »
>"I was also on their turf. And for all I know, youkai taste better to giant spiders."

>"Youkai are also harder to catch," she counters. "I can get you a pitchfork and some twine, but people have got to be told."
>She gives you another long look. "Pardon my saying so, you sure you've got this one on your own?"

« Reply #565 on: July 06, 2011, 03:56:42 AM »
>Give the girl a slightly surprised look.
>"Are you offering?"

« Reply #566 on: July 06, 2011, 04:18:08 AM »
>Give the girl a slightly surprised look.
>"Are you offering?"

>"I'm no fighter," she says, shaking her head. "Won't find many of them around here, either. But I don't want to see someone marching off to get themselves killed. If you're considering a pitchfork an upgrade, well...."
>She puts her hands out in a disarming gesture. "Look, maybe it's not my place. You're a Seeker; maybe you do this kind of stuff all the time. You'd know better than I would. Just don't go trying to do anything stupid."

« Reply #567 on: July 06, 2011, 04:25:46 AM »
>"Never done anything like this before...."
>"But like I said before. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, or anything, but as a youkai, I've got natural advantages that humans don't. I can survive things that would kill a human."

« Reply #568 on: July 06, 2011, 04:48:34 AM »
>"Never done anything like this before...."
>"But like I said before. I'm not trying to sound arrogant, or anything, but as a youkai, I've got natural advantages that humans don't. I can survive things that would kill a human."

>You catch another frown tug at the corner of her lips as you say this.
>"You're not invincible, either," she says. "If you think you're in over your head, let someone else handle it. There's no shame in that. Pride's a stupid thing to get yourself killed over."
>She shrugs. "Not going to say any more on it. Probably said too much already. Hope you don't take that the wrong way. Only you know what you can do and what you can't; I don't mean anything else by it."

« Reply #569 on: July 06, 2011, 05:13:05 AM »
>"No offense taken. Sound advice, actually."
>"Now about those tools...?"